Profile for Steven > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steven RSS Feed

Gerber 30-000315 Crucial F.A.S.T. Tool
Gerber 30-000315 Crucial F.A.S.T. Tool
Offered by OpticsPlanet, Inc
Price: $53.99
10 used & new from $36.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, poor execution, December 11, 2013
I got this product because it had everything I needed and nothing else. I was going to carry it everyday, so why does it need a tool that I'll use once in its lifetime for novelty? I really liked this concept, however I'll give you a chronology of how it failed...

- Arrived: Pliers wobbly. Have to forcefully engage screwdrivers into liner-lock. Not enough to make me immediately hate it.
- ~2 weeks: Pliers very wobbly from minimal use. The handles could move 1/4+ inch at their ends.
- ~6 months: Knife lock seizes regularly and requires oil to barely function. This means it was hard to unlock the knife to open it, and once opened it wouldn't lock the blade in place which is pretty dangerous.
- ~10 months: Tip of the pliers fractured off. I had only used them maybe 50-75 times at this point under light load. (I mostly got this as a knife replacement.)
- ~1 year: Replaced with Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool

As you can see, pretty much every function of the tool failed within half of a year, with some being crippled on arrival. The only reason this gets 2 stars because I really love the layout and functionality of the tool. It just had absolutely horrible tolerances and material selection for a brand such as Gerber. As you can see, I replaced it with a Leatherman Skeletool CX. I've only had it for a couple weeks, but the tolerances are super tight and the material is definitely beefier where it matters. Its main difference is the Leatherman knife isn't spring assisted which is sad, however the screwdriver has swapable bits which is good.

MoKo Vertical Flip Cover Case for Amazon New Kindle Paperwhite with Backlight, BLACK (with Auto Sleep/Wake Function)
Offered by BSCstore
Price: $14.95
12 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalistic, Clean, Practical, September 2, 2013
If you're looking for those pretty "real book" looking cases, this isn't your product. This is for those that want to make the best out of their Kindle in the easiest way possible. So, let's start this up and go straight to the list.

PROS:
- Vertical folding
*This is the best thing for e-readers. Ditch the spread-finger book hold, e-readers are meant to be held with the palm creating less strain on the fingers.
*This makes it a stand that doesn't flop over because the cover isn't in the wrong spot.
- Light
*Keeps the already lightweight Kindle light.
- Practical.
*You can charge with the Kindle in the case and the cover closed.
*Set-up and read anywhere without holding it.
*Holds closed with magnets, so you don't have to deal with any rubber bands or zippers.
*Auto on/off when you open/close the cover. It's understated, but this may be the best feature. (When a product makes your life easier without you really noticing, it's a superior design.)
- No excess or frill.
*I prefer my Kindle to be nondescript. However, if you want a personal touch to your Kindle, the longer flap means you can put a ton of personalized stickers of whatever you want on it.

CONS:
- The edges are sort of exposed. The Kindle is still recessed into the case, so if it drops it won't hit the edge of the Kindle. It just means if you were to be outdoors in the rain and were holding the Kindle sideways, you might get some water on it. (I doubt anyone do that though.)
- It is made out of a faux leather that my cat seems to find tasty. It is only one of my two cats, so your results may vary with you pets. Plus, the same could be said of any product. This is mostly a warning to let your pets and/or small children give it a sniff test to make sure they don't think it's a chew toy and to keep it out of reach/train them otherwise.

All in all, I would say this might be the best purchase I have made through Amazon. Very pleased with this product. I've had it for 2 months now and it has held up nicely. It looks like it will last a good long while. If it breaks or otherwise, I'll post about it. So, the older this post is the longer it has lasted.

(As a final note, this is GREAT for reading at night before bed. The auto on/off feature means you can turn it on easily without need of light when you're already settled in bed. Also, The vertical fold stand means you can set it up on you chest or on the bed next to you if you're a side sleeper.)

Kingston Digital Inc. 8GB DataTraveler 100 Generation2 2.0 USB Flash Drive DT100G2/8GBZ - Black
Offered by IGEX Direct
Price: $21.00
4 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and cheap, January 3, 2011
I really like Kingston flash drives; they have never failed me. They've been dropped, run through the washing machine/dryer, and generally put through a beating, but they just keep going. Their main competition is Sandisk and I hate how they always run that stupid program when you plug it in. (This program wouldn't work on my high school's computers a couple years ago, as they were seen as a security threat, making them useless...) As for this particular one, It's got a fast read/write speed and I haven't seen any problems except the storage size. It says 7.2GB on my computer but it's labeled 8GB... However, this always happens with EVERYTHING dealing with storage, so it's nothing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2012 7:22 AM PST