Profile for Toytoyota > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Toytoyota "Toytoyota" RSS Feed (USA)

LG Infinia 55LV5500 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV
LG Infinia 55LV5500 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV

4.0 out of 5 stars Priced to Sell, July 16, 2011
This is my first large screen HDTV purchase and I had a list of requirements that had to be met. It had to play a plethora of video codecs natively (so no need for a Blu-ray player) and formats (mkv, iso, avi, xvid etc..) and the viewing angle and picture quality had to be terrific (as in better than comparable models from the last few years). This TV certainly met my lowest requirements and was within my budget. My main video sources are over-the-air HD channels, HD mkv files off of my computer, and video content off of the apps the TV comes with.

Pros:
-Very thin frame. As with all LED-LCD frames, these TV's are just a few millimeters thick. It also takes very little energy.
-Great picture quality. No complaints here. I turned off Tru-Motion and did some calibration and it looks terrific. Absolutely comparable to Sony and Samsung with the right settings. There is some grainy-ness if you get really close up while watching over-the-air HD but this is the case with every set I've seen, whether LED or Plasma.
- While this feature isn't really advertised, 2011 LG Smart TV's come with "Plex" compatibility. Plex is a server you install on your computer and you can stream video/audio/pictures over wifi or wired LAN. It is MUCH better than DLNA in every way. I only use the Plex server, never DLNA anymore because the graphical interface is so much better and the stream connection seems to be more reliable. Plex will pretty much play every video file you throw at it in any resolution (MKV, AVI, ISO, XVID, even uncompressed BD-rips). There are some issues currently with DTS audio in anything other than 2 channel stereo however.
- I believe every unit comes with an IPS panel. There is no more panel lottery anymore with this model at least. Google 'IPS' panel for more info on that if you are unfamiliar.
-Magic Wand Remote. This TV actually comes with 2 remotes. One standard one that has a built in backlight and is laid out very nicely (big buttons). The second remote that comes with this TV is called the "Magic Wand Remote" and it's basically like a Wii-mote. It's a Bluetooth remote that you move to move an on-screen cursor. This makes typing on the on-screen keyboard easy and navigating through menus a breeze.
- Wi-fi is standard. This model comes with a wi-fi adapter standard, so you don't have to buy one. The TV also has a LAN (ethernet) port if you wish to go wired.

Cons:
-The biggest con for me isn't really a problem specific to this set, but wi-fi streaming in general. I have tried to stream 1080p MKV's that are 8-12 GB and above and my 802.11n LAN can't do it without buffering the video every minute or two. I have found that the biggest factor in whether or not a file buffers or plays smoothly over wi-fi is file size. My wireless connection is strong and there's no interference or distance issues. It's just not possible to send huge HD files over most wifi LAN's and have it play back without some buffering, which makes certain files unwatchable. With that said, anything under 5 GB (even HD MKVs) stream perfectly using Plex with no buffering and you have the ability to turn on the subtitles. A lot of the smaller MKV's that work for me still look great in HD (comparable to Blu-Ray). My next step will be to see if an external harddrive directly connected to the USB port on the TV would eliminate buffering. I will also try and get a better internal LAN speed with my N network as that is the main culprit in my buffering. I will update when I try this in the future.
-The speakers on this TV are terrible. I guess when you have a really thin TV you can't put anything better than oversized laptop speakers. Right out of the box, I thought the speakers were broken, they sounded so tinny and distorted, like they had blown out already. After tweaking the sound settings a little they sounded much more reasonable, but they are still very soft and you have to crank it up a lot. This is one area where CRT TV's trump the new flat screens. To truly enjoy this set, I would at least get a sound bar. Almost any external speakers would be an upgrade here.
- The YouTube app from LG (and for that matter the Plex YouTube app also) are useless. You can't view channel pages, you can't find specific videos and you can't watch live YouTube streams. You are pretty much subject to whatever they want to put up when you search for something and to make matters worse the app is VERY slow. I have a 12 MB internet connection and the TV is in the same room as the router, so the loading of whatever random video it gives you is fast but the app itself is unusable. With that said, once you actually get a 1080p YouTube video playing they look outstanding.
- All other apps in general are cumbersome and feel like they are in beta mode. Don't get this TV if you are interested mainly in internet connectivity and features. The built in browser is slower than dial-up and has no flash support. Plex has additional plugins comparable to the LG apps but they don't work either. Plex is best used as a server only but they may improve over time regarding their plugins (apps). FYI on the TV itself Plex is accessed through an app called "MediaLink".
-There is a tiny bit of flashlighting now and then but not really enough to complain about. There is no clouding that I have seen and very little edge light leakage (a good thing).

The only other thing I will mention is that this TV may have locked down functionality. I was reading through AVforums' user impressions of this TV and at some point in an earlier firmware version, apparently this TV had local-dimming settings which would lead me to believe it may not be an edge-lit LED. Don't take my word for it, I don't really know. There may also be built in DVR functionality if you hook up an external hard drive (which once again apparently disappeared with a firmware upgrade). None of these things are advertised and are features in international versions of this model. You can research more on that on your own but it's not really a pro or a con, just something to ponder.

LG's 2011 55LV5500 model is priced enough under Sony and Samsung's comparable LED-LCD's to take a good chunk of the market away from them. I was set on a Samsung or Sony but after researching this model and getting a great deal from another website, I went with the LG 55LV5500 instead and I am pleased. We'll have to wait and see if I get the longevity of a Sony TV. I give this TV 4 stars, with the major flaw being broken internet apps.

SAMSUNG 3.5MM ADAPTER ETERNITY BEHOLD BLACKJACK II 2
SAMSUNG 3.5MM ADAPTER ETERNITY BEHOLD BLACKJACK II 2
Offered by SF Planet
Price: $4.99
2 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Stereo Sound, April 28, 2011
I purchased this as one of several parts to transform my Samsung Solstice into an everyday mp3 player. This delivers high quality full stereo sound to the earphones of your choice. The connection to the earphones in very tight and won't come lose in your pocket. The arrow printed on the plug is backwards, it needs to face down to plug in, whereas your charger probably has the arrow facing up. I would definitely recommend this to transform your cell phone into an mp3 player. Any volume limitations will be because of your handset, not this.

Logitech S150 USB Speakers with Digital Sound
Logitech S150 USB Speakers with Digital Sound
Price: $11.95
58 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great for permanent desktop speakers, March 20, 2011
I have a desktop and my previous 2.0 speaker system went out. The previous speakers were powered by a large brick-type power supply and plugged into the traditional green speaker input on the back of the computer. Those old speakers were Harmon Kardon's that came with many Dell's in the early 2000's and the sound was superior to these Logitech's in every way.

You can't expect a USB powered speaker set to have much bass or depth of sound, but in terms of loudness these impress. They are louder than they look, but when you turn it up all the way there is some distortion. The bass is very weak (comparable to laptop speakers). I don't care about size or mobility as I was looking for a 2.0 system that would stay put and sound nice for games, music, etc. Well these will get me through YouTube videos and basic audio until I get a better set for music. If you're looking for a cheapo set, I would recommend these. The high's are good, mid's are okay and bass is the same as standard laptop speakers. But overall they sound better than laptop speakers.

The "On" LED light is an illumination of the word "DIGITAL" and it's orange. Kind of pointless but whatever. I can confirm it's plug and play in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. It does not come with drivers, your OS is expected to provide them. I had to unplug and replug into a different USB port to get the three buttons to work, they didn't the first time. The buttons are "Mute" and Volume adjustment buttons which I will probably never use.

The main problem with this set is that you have no control over the volume through Windows, only through applications inside Windows. The main Windows volume adjustment (i.e. the one in your taskbar) will basically only turn this from Mute to Max Volume. I don't know why that is and others have commented on it. That is annoying but other than that these are tiny, nice looking, very light, single cable (USB) speakers worth the little money they cost.

And for once you can actually legitimately say it's "Digital Sound" since it's coming from USB.

BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet 6.6 Feet (2m) - Supports 3D and Audio Return [Latest Version]
Offered by Perfect Buys
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one you're looking for, March 16, 2011
If you're like me, you scoured the internet for a super-cheap Category 2 cable that was at least 6 feet. They do exist but those deals are temporary and I needed this ASAP. This is the go-to cable when you can't find a better deal. I don't feel bad at all paying less than 5 bucks for this, it's the highest spec HDMI cable you can get and it can ship with Prime, so it's there fast and free. I use it to connect a desktop PC to an LED monitor. 0 problems. Comes in OEM type packaging.

Nyko 80610 AirFlo PC Game Controller
Nyko 80610 AirFlo PC Game Controller

3.0 out of 5 stars Fans Break, December 16, 2010
The "AirFlo" technology works by having a fan circulate air through the controller out into tiny holes. The fan blades are very close to the grill on the back of the controller, so if you ever drop the controller while the fan is on, the fan blades will break and the "AirFlo" function won't work anymore forever. This is what happened to me early on. However the controller itself continued to work for about 5 years until yesterday when one of the wires got frayed. Other than that, the rubber over one of the analog sticks wore off. It worked for me on XP, Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64bit over the years. I used it primarily for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and FIFA 09-11. You do have the option to turn off the fan. I'm giving it a 3 overall because the main attraction of dry hands breaks too easy.

American Gardener YS24 YardStick 10-Inch 24-Volt Cordless String Trimmer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars No Lifespan., July 13, 2010
I bought this trimmer in 2007 when it was about half the price that it is now. I was happy with it until I realized the LED light on the charger stopped lighting up. The charger is broken and won't charge the battery so it's useless to me. The replacement product is apparently on back-order and I would have to wait forever to get a new charger. I'm not sure what to do now. I would not recommend buying this product at all, I probably only used it 15 times and now it's dead.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2011 8:15 AM PDT

Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
by David Yoo
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read., December 9, 2008
***SPOILERS***

This review is addressed to the author, David Yoo.

Coming after his debut novel, Girls for Breakfast, David Yoo tells the tale of another Korean American boy in Stop me if You've Heard this one before.

This time, there is less emphasis on how being Korean American shaped the main character than there was in GfB. Regardless, the main character, Albert Kim is just as interesting and thought provoking as Nick Park.

Whereas GfB seemed to be more of a fictional memoir, Stop Me, does not start in early childhood and goes right into high school. The story is that Albert, a mostly introverted self described "intentional loser" has an epiphany after falling in love with a popular girl from high school. He feels like he is truly living when he is with her but her ex has cancer and is using it to try and get back the girl. Anyways I don't need to explain the story, it's a review.

So basically David, I love your writing but I have a few complaints (the reasons I didn't give this a 5). First of all... Tuberculosis? Really? You're really going to give the main character TB and use it as a cheap point against Mia and then never bring it up again? Listen, stories don't have to be realistic all the time but they should at least be believable. I felt like the story really flowed until that part, just seemed impossible.

Another thing that bothered me was how you described affectionate interactions. You use really cliche things like "He put his hand on her shoulder" and stuff. I mean, no one does that. Sure it's a book but you sell a realistic character really well in Albert, and then to have him do stuff like that seems out of place. Especially for someone with little emotional background.

Finally, the very end. Right after Al finds out what The House and Mia had done. Mia chases Al out and then it seems like within a matter of a page he is not angry at her anymore. I mean I know Al feels truly alive with her but that seemed like a cop out ending.

Okay, believe it or not I actually really like your writing. No offense meant on any of this. I couldn't write a novel man, I just figured since you're kind of small time you will probably read this review.

Overall: A great read. (I love how well the name Ryan Chase Stackhouse fits the character, nice one)

The Reindeer People: Living with Animals and Spirits in Siberia
The Reindeer People: Living with Animals and Spirits in Siberia
by Piers Vitebsky
78 used & new from $0.62

1.0 out of 5 stars For a very very limited audience, March 3, 2008
This book is NOT like a novel it's like a textbook. You will not find this interesting unless you have a liking to caribou.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 1:16 PM PST