Profile for Natey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Natey RSS Feed

Koko Takes a Holiday
Koko Takes a Holiday
Price: $6.67

3.0 out of 5 stars You might love it. For me it was just okay., December 14, 2014
This book was recommended to me by a friend who is eagerly awaiting the next installment of the series. I picked it up on a whim and had to push myself to be able to report that I'd finished it.

I will admit that the post apocalyptic, hedonistic future the author paints is not my cup of tea. I certainly don't fault him for that, though.

Putting that aside, I found that I was too conscious of the fact that I was reading someone's writing as opposed to simply losing myself in the narrative. Mr. Shea was very obviously trying to convey a particular aesthetic, but I think his deliberateness in that regard is what ultimately removed me from the characters and their plight.

Every so often the story is interrupted by "media feed" scripts; basically short chapters that resemble transcripts of television commercials in this alternate future. They are purely for world-building and don't particularly advance the plot, which is not necessarily their purpose. It's an interesting idea, but it can also be very jarring. Sometimes it works. Other times it feels like the world is being shoved into my face; "LOOK HOW DEBAUCHEROUS EVERYTHING IS!" -- in all-caps, no less.

If you can look past all of that, it's a fun romp.

Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag, Left Zipper (Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sleeping bag for the price, but be wary of the temperature rating., December 14, 2014
As others have mentioned, this is a great sleeping bag for the small price you pay.

That said, I was a little too trusting of the temperature rating when I went camping in lows of around 40 degrees. Even with a pad and long underwear, I spent a couple chilly nights in this thing.

Overall, though, I paid $36 and I was impressed with what I got for that price. I'll use this again for sure, but maybe pack a wool blanket roll in addition if I'm expecting chilly temps.

16GB Combo Memory MS Pro Duo FOR Sony PSP & Sony Cybershot Digital Camera & Sony Webbie
Offered by eTECH
Price: $13.69
5 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, July 7, 2013
Great product, great execution. I still use my PSP more frequently than my 3DS, DS, or Vita, and I have no complaints whatsoever. Works exactly how one would expect it to work in a PSP -- much more storage space at a fraction of the cost.

Fast Company
Fast Company
Price: $1.99
2 used & new from $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars About what you'd expect., October 20, 2012
This review is from: Fast Company (Kindle Edition)
Print-to-digital subscription issues aside... I will be talking about this Magazine as it appears on the 1st generation Kindle Fire. I won't talk about the content of this magazine because I haven't had a fair chance to evaluate it yet. I've enjoyed what I've read so far, however.

The presentation is about what I was expecting from a non-app Kindle magazine. It's not great, but it is something you can live with. If you're expecting something on the same level as Wired's magazine app or Time Magazine's, which were beautifully designed for the Kindle Fire and other tablets, you will probably be disappointed with this. The layout is not re-formatted to fit the Kindle Fire's 7 inch screen. I've found that the best way to read in "Page view" mode is by turning the Fire sideways and double-tapping on a single page to zoom in, manually scrolling from top-to-bottom. I'm assuming that this kind of magazine is much more presentable on something the size of an iPad, but I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought a Fire.

The saving grace for some might be the "Text View" mode, which displays the pictures and converts everything else into a no-frills text only format, like an e-book with embedded pictures. Personally, I think settling for Text Mode subtracts from the appeal of the magazine "experience." Magazines really need to do a better job developing their tablet experiences. People want better than the equivalent of PDF scans.

When reading in "page view" mode, manually scrolling and zooming isn't as smooth as I'd like, but it's also not terrible. Your location is saved whenever you close out of the magazine.

I suppose this review is applicable to all non-app eMagazines on the Kindle store, but since I've subscribed to this magazine, I might as well place the review here.

Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
Price: Click here to see our price
69 used & new from $34.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless keyboard. Works beautifully., September 9, 2012
UPDATE AFTER 9 MONTHS OF USE: This keyboard still works as well as the day I bought it. Charges well, and the battery doesn't drain quickly. I don't think I could go back to regular keybaords for day-to-day typing after having purchased this one.

UPDATE AFTER 5 MONTHS OF USE: This keyboard still works flawlessly. No battery drain issues. No solar charging issues. I prefer this keyboard for typing; traditional keyboards only feel like they're in the way. I'm very pleased with this purchase, and would highly recommend it to anyone considering this as an option.

OLD REVIEW:

I have had this keyboard for over a month and I am very pleased.

The "solar" aspect of the keyboard works well -- even in my room, which doesn't get a lot of light. The only time the battery drops below 100% is when I play games for extended periods of time (holding down WASD for hours). Even then I think 91% is the lowest it's gone after 3 straight days of heavy gaming in Guild Wars 2 over labor day weekend. Sometimes I'll leave the keyboard by a window when I leave for work just for the heck of it, and this thing has no problem collecting more power than it uses. I have never turned the keyboard off.

That being said, this is keyboard is NOT for gaming, not that I was expecting it to be. For regular typing, the keys feel good. I had no problem adjusting to the thinner laptop-style keys. The whole unit is very stable, even with the two flip-out legs that others have called flimsy. You won't have any problems unless you routinely manhandle your electronics. Just don't expect it to hold out forever if you have a heavy cat that loves using your keyboards as a bed.

As for the "Solar App," it's simple and helpful at indicating how much light you're getting and how much of an energy reserve you have. One thing I noticed is that the battery meter won't always post an increased energy reserve after a day of charging. However, if you leave the solar app open in the background for a while, you'll notice that it will eventually update to 100%, even if the app itself has gone inactive.

Also, some people seem to misunderstand the function of the button that launches the solar app. If you press it, either a red or a green LED will flash. It's not an indication of your current battery reserve, as some seem to think. It's an indication of how much light the keyboard is currently getting, If the lighting is poor, it will flash red. If the lighting is good (say above 25-50 LUX) it will flash green. It has nothing to do with current battery levels.

I was wary after reading the reviews saying the keyboard died after only 3 months of use. Time will tell, but I'm not worried.

Comics
Comics
Offered by comiXology
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great app, but why no New 52?, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Comics (App)
I first started using Comixology on my iPhone. It wasn't ideal, but it was better than nothing when traveling. I was very pleased to hear that the kindle fire would be getting a Comixology app. The larger screen is very nice for comic viewing.

However, I am STILL using my iPhone to purchase comics. Why? Because even though Amazon supposedly has a deal with DC, many of their comics are simply unavailable on this platform. The Comixology's Fire storefront also doesn't have Marvel and DC 99 cent sales like iOS. As a result, I purchase all of my comics on iOS and transfer them to my Fire for viewing. Even the ones that might also be available on the Fire. It works, but it's not a solution and it's not something I want to put up with.

So it seems Apple is getting my money instead of Amazon.

Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Asphalt 6: Adrenaline (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Download was weird, but it's great on the Kindle Fire!, January 12, 2012
As others have said, the app itself is about 2.4 megabytes, but it requires a 500 megabyte download when you open it for the first time. For the first 100 megabytes of the download it gave me a "could not complete download" message and asked if I would like to try again. It did that about 5 or 6 times, but luckily it remembered how much it had already downloaded, so there was no need to start the download from square one each time. And, as I said, it worked normally after the first 100MB or so.

The game itself performs beautifully. I've played similar racing games on the iPad 2, and my experience with this game is comparable on the Fire. The graphics are smooth, the menu presentation is slick, and the music/sound is quite good... even from the Fire's speakers (which surprised me). This is definitely a top-tier game.

Netflix
Netflix
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Revised review - app is reliable... until it's not. Not a priority app for Netflix., December 14, 2011
This review is from: Netflix (App)
Edit #2: Taking three stars off of the app rating because it will often stop playing during the middle of the episode and be unable to resume from that point. Furthermore, it won't play episodes that have already been watched. That is, the Fire's Netflix app doesn't restart them from the beginning. If I want to view previously watched episodes/movies, I have to play them from the beginning on my PC, then switch over to my Fire to start watching.

I'm positive Netflix will come out with future updates, but I don't know if they'll address these problems, and the updates are so few and far in between that I may have switched to a different device altogether by the time this stuff is fixed.

Overall I find I am very apprehensive about using this app because it just hasn't earned my trust. I'm always expecting it to fail or have some quirk when I watch anything on my Fire. It is simply not reliable. Previous problems were fixed, but new ones seem to have popped up.

Previous review:

In an earlier review, I gave this app 1 star for its extremely poor performance on my Kindle Fire. I had said that if Netflix managed to fix the app, I'd be more than happy to give it a solid 5 stars.

Well, I just updated Netflix on my Kindle Fire and found that all of my problems with the app have been addressed. The video quality is great. The audio is synced with the video. Everything works exactly as I've come to expect from my other Netflix-capable devices.

So here's your 5 star rating, Netflix. Thank you for not leaving Kindle Fire owners in the dark.

WIRED Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition)
WIRED Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, November 16, 2011
I subscribe to Wired and was eager to start reading magazines on my Fire. I am pleased with the smooth page turns, the interactive articles and videos, readability, and image quality. The only problem I've had so far is when the app unexpectedly quit while I was watching a video attached to one of the articles.