Profile for David Giovagnoli > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Giovagnoli RSS Feed

Doublju Mens V-Neck Button Cardigan WINE (US-M)
Doublju Mens V-Neck Button Cardigan WINE (US-M)
Offered by Doublju company
Price: $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointed, April 26, 2013
Well, I do like this cardigan. The color's nice, and it fits moderately well. It's a little small, maybe; figuring out the size equivalent for this brand is difficult. I had to take off some stars, though, because it's not well-made. I've only had it for maybe four months, and it's never been machine washed, but the red outer material is starting to come apart at the seams in some places, to reveal the white middle layer. With this, you get what you pay for.

MoKo 360 Degrees Rotating Stand Cover Case for Samsung GALAXY Tab 2 7.0, BLACK (with Vertical and Horizontal Stand and Stylus Loop)
Offered by BSCstore
Price: $18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good for the Price, April 26, 2013
I'm pleased with this case, for the most part. While it's horizontal, the grooves work really well to hold the tablet at each of those angles. While it's vertical, though, they're pretty useless. I don't use the vertical orientation very much, anyway. I like that it leaves all of the ports open, and it's great for watching movies. I've also been using it as my alarm clock, so it's nice to have it where I can see it from bed. One of the corners doesn't quite hold it as well as I'd like, though.

Skagen Watches, Men's Titanium 233XLTTM Grey Mesh Titanium Watch
Skagen Watches, Men's Titanium 233XLTTM Grey Mesh Titanium Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, for the Price, April 26, 2013
I like this watch. I've received a lot of compliments on it. It's light on my wrist, and doesn't get hot like some metal watches. There are a few little issues, though. The band has sort of been creased, and it's hard to straighten it back out. There's also a little wear on the part of the case where it joins to the band. Sometimes, the watch will shut off, and I think that might be something to do with me accidentally pulling out the crown while wearing it, but it's probably the battery. That just requires me to reset it, which isn't a big hassle. The main reason I even wear a watch is so that I can check the time without pulling my phone out in class, so it's not much of a hassle to set it every so often from my phone. Still, a watch shouldn't need to be reset so often.

URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for iPhone 4/4S, Slate
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for iPhone 4/4S, Slate

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged and Inexpensive, April 26, 2013
So far, this has held up well. It's actually a lot better than the comparable Otterbox or incase designs. It's one solid piece of rubber, so it's been fairly resistant to being dropped. It also looks pretty cool, compared to designs you find at Walmart or Best Buy.

The Song of Achilles: A Novel
The Song of Achilles: A Novel
by Madeline Miller
Price: $11.66
43 used & new from $6.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, October 13, 2012
My interest in mythology started about ten years ago, in the junior high library. I was the kid who got left behind by his class, because he was so entranced by the stories of ancient Greece. Now I'm a master's student studying classical reception, and this book had exactly the same effect on me. I couldn't put it down, even knowing how the story was to end. I literally cried, at several points. Not even reading the Iliad in Greek brought out quite that same response from me.

It's hard to articulate exactly why I liked it. The prose is erudite. The sounds of the Greek language brought into the text are marvelous, even if you don't know the language. The insight into Patroklos' character is touching. Seeing Achilles not as the avatar of hubris, but as a fully-conceptualized character is so rewarding, after wading through the Iliad and wondering why he couldn't have just been a little less of a brat.

This book is an excellent companion to Margaret Atwood's Penelopiad, in my view, and is something that any fan of Homer should definitely read. It will certainly become a cherished part of my library.

Greek Grammar
Greek Grammar
by Herbert Weir Smyth
Price: $57.58
60 used & new from $10.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for any serious student of Ancient Greek, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Greek Grammar (Hardcover)
I got the 1956 edition already knowing that it would be very useful, as I've used the library's copy on many occasions. As a graduate student, I thought it was finally time to invest in my own. The text is crisp, and it's bound attractively. After several conversations with professors, I settled with this over more modern editions, because nothing that has come out since has been able to match Smyth's, in terms of completeness, accuracy, and utility. The one thing I'd say against this particular edition, is that the spine broke down the middle almost instantly after opening it (I'm quite protective over my books), but I can only attribute that to the book's thickness.

Warning: The other hardback edition in this series (the more recent publication) is just a shoddy reprint of the original Smyth's, not the better 1956 edition. Do not purchase it; I made that mistake, and had to send it back.

adidas Men's Tiro 11 Short, Collegiate Purple/White, Small
adidas Men's Tiro 11 Short, Collegiate Purple/White, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, October 3, 2012
I got these after ripping my favorite pair of adidas shorts in a biking accident. They seem quite nice so far, they're of a proper length for whatever activity you might want to do, though they're a little tighter than my other adidas shorts, but certainly seem well-constructed. They were also in my school colors, so that's a bonus. Pockets, or an internal pocket for a key or MP3 player would be nice.

adidas Men's Sport Performance Flex 360 Trunk, Black/Solar Slime, Small
adidas Men's Sport Performance Flex 360 Trunk, Black/Solar Slime, Small
Offered by LabasLand
Price: $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable, October 3, 2012
It's as-advertised, excepting the fact that I received Black and Red instead of Black and Teal, but that wasn't a big enough concern for me to ship them back. They're light, but secure, comfortable, and stylish. As an aside, they came in a box, with a hanger, which I thought was a bit excessive for a pair of underwear.

adidas Defender Small Duffel, One Size/11 3/4 x 20 1/2 x 11-Inch, Lead
adidas Defender Small Duffel, One Size/11 3/4 x 20 1/2 x 11-Inch, Lead
Offered by 101Retrokicks
Price: $35.00
2 used & new from $29.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually Quite Large, October 3, 2012
I needed a bag mostly to carry my shoes, wallet, phone, and other small items with me to the campus recreation center. As it's very close to my apartment, I don't typically need to take a change of clothes with me, so this bag is really rather large for my needs. It seems well-built, it shipped quickly, and the price was right. I'm only taking a star off because it's almost too big for me, I'm a small guy, and it looks especially awkward when it's mostly-empty. That's not really adidas' fault, though. It's definitely large enough to take a few changes of clothes in, and even a few pairs of shoes, on weekend trips.

Greek Paradigm Handbook: Reference Guide and Memorization Tool
Greek Paradigm Handbook: Reference Guide and Memorization Tool
by Erikk Geannikis
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $12.77
13 used & new from $7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Helpful, August 23, 2012
I acquired this book at the APA Conference, from Focus. It was definitely worth the money, and I've carried in my bag ever since. It's the perfect size for flipping through between classes, and the paradigm charts are very easy to read. The principal parts charts are especially useful. Certainly it is no substitute for a grammar, but if one just needs to quickly look up a paradigm, it is very handy.