Profile for Beachmama > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Beachmama RSS Feed

The Bride Insists
The Bride Insists
Price: $6.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Marriage of Inconvenience, June 21, 2014
This review is from: The Bride Insists (Kindle Edition)
The plot is simple. A woman forced to work as a governess inherits a fortune one of her miserable male relatives has control over until she marries. Clare quickly arranges to marry a penniless lord who is about to lose everything. Desperate to save his heritage Jamie agrees to allow Clare the control of her fortune in return for her promise to provide the money to bring his estate back from the brink.

Clare lives up to the bargain and goes above and beyond. While Jamie re-builds the land she cleans and furnishes the dirty and ramshackled house, hires servants, takes the twin sisters Jamie has ignored for years under her wing and provides her new husband with a lovely home, a new cook, better behaved sisters thanks to two new ponies and nights of mutually satisfying sex. Does he feel like a lucky man. The answer is no he does not.

Having landed face down in a pool of gold and good luck our hero is not counting his blessings but is pissed (daily) that her money is under her control. He rants, drinks, raves, drinks, argues, drinks, bitches to his friends, and drinks some more. He fights with his wife, becomes buddies with the cousin who had controlled her money and treated her and her mother like dirt and continues to ignore the twins who I adored and who are so hungry for his attention its painful to read. Oh and he drinks some more.

Skip this one! The male lead is the most selfish, immature, clueless, unlikeable, self-involved, blind to everything around him character I have ever run across in a romance novel. I hated him and felt sorry for Clare who is stuck with him till death do them part. I don’t know how the novel ends since I gave up after he alienated his friends, Clare, her friend Selina, nearly everyone else in London and abandoned his sisters - again. One reviewer said she would like to kick him in the balls and another said she wanted to slap him. I agree with both!

Dair Devil: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Family Saga Book 4)
Dair Devil: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Family Saga Book 4)
Price: $5.77

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO Lucinda!, April 26, 2014
Just finished reading Lucinda Brant's newest addition to the Roxton saga that began with `Noble Satyr' and I thoroughly enjoyed every single word of `Dair Devil'. I was thrilled to find that Dair's story picked up immediately following the events that took place in `Autumn Duchess'. While this book focuses on Antonia's cousin Dair Fitzstuart and her god-daughter Rory Talbot long-time fans of this extended family will love finding out that our favorite Duchess continues to be a major player in the newest installment. This author has the amazing ability to weave together the threads of the characters' individual lives without losing the reader's ability to follow these multiple storylines.

Rory and Dair initially meet under what can only be called unusual circumstances at best and a complete disaster of an evening at worst. However it works to set up each of their backgrounds and as the story unfolds it turns out they are not the complete opposites they might appear to be but do, in fact, share similar values. There is, of course, a villain and trust me this one turns out to be much more twisted than your average run of the mill fly-in-the-ointment.

I am even more in love with the Roxton family after reading `Dair Devil' and Antonia continues to fascinate me. Anyone who has watched her move from the young girl and wife in `Noble Satyr' to the grieving widow wooed in `Autumn Duchess' will be impressed with her continued growth in this book. She has become both the powerful and protective head her extended family. Monseigneur would be proud as she wields a nasty secret he shared to slay a corrupt dragon he suspected.

Dair never falters once he becomes involved with Rory despite the many obstacles he must overcome and a wager he lives to regret. Rory find her life unexpectedly changed by a chance encounter with a bit of a rogue. Their love affair is both heartfelt and sensual moved along nicely by a Fairy Duchess who owns a magical island that has a history she willing shares with the young lovers. It is scenes like the ones that take place on this island, both in the past and the present, that link all of Lucinda's books together like the tapestries that hang there.

I missed Jonathan, Antonia's new Duke, but trust that their story will continue to unfold in future books. Seeing both of her sons and several other new and recurring characters made me anxious to see whose stories will follow. Mary's is up next but Dair has some mysterious (and scandalous) half siblings. Then there is Evelyn, son of Antonia's great friend Vallentine, who is still missing and her youngest son Henri-Antoine should one day be featured in his own tale.

`Dair Devil' can stand on its own but the entire series is so compelling that I recommend reading the books in order. All of them sit on my keeper shelf to be taken down and savored again and again. Storytelling like this is a rare treat! Bravo Lucinda!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2014 6:03 AM PST

Andrew: Lord of Despair (The Lonely Lords)
Andrew: Lord of Despair (The Lonely Lords)
by Grace Burrowes
Price: $7.99
39 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVO Grace!, December 6, 2013
I just finished reading `Andrew' which picks up several years after the events that took place in `Gareth' and I was stunned by the changes those years have brought. Gareth and Felicity have a growing family, Gareth's brother Andrew has decamped from the scene to wander the world and Felicity's sister Astrid has been unhappily married and equally unhappily widowed.

Despair is part of the title of Andrew's book but there is enough despair to share. Andrew's despair is real but based on a nasty piece of misinformation. Astrid's despair seemed to me a classic case of pre-natal depression complicated by her husband neglect and plain old loneliness. Gareth has missed his brother, Astrid the friend who made her feel safe and flirted with her innocent, younger self. Felicity is concerned for a sister fading away before her eyes and Gareth will soon face a crisis he can't control. Andrew could have been subtitled `Lord of Guilt' and there is lot of unresolved guilt plaguing not just the two leads but spread out among a cast of well written secondary characters as well.

This book is not just about the sweet and sexy romance that begins to bloom between Andrew and Astrid, who have to work hard for their HEA, but a love story that encompasses two brothers, who have survived a family tragedy, but carry the burdens of grief and guilt and a pair of incredibly strong, soon to be tested sisters. Add in the support of their newly discovered brother David who has one very strange set of skills and whose story will be told in a book set for release next year, the re-appearance of the always fascinating Douglas who is up next and you have a cast of characters bound together by love, loyalty, grief, regret and at times well placed and misplaced honor. To me this is Grace Burrowes greatest strength - the ability to write the emotions and fears that bubble beneath the surface of her stories. Families are unbelievably complicated and navigating those dangerous waters takes courage and Grace has done it brilliantly across a number of amazing, inter-connected books that I have followed since the debut of `The Heir' and the rest of the Windham family and into the Lonely Lord series.

I fell in love with both Andrew and Astrid, I laughed, I cried and I was overjoyed to see David and Douglas again. I look forward to the release of each of Grace's books because, while each can stand on its own, the real joy for me is re-visiting the familiar characters I have come to care for who appear again, whose lives I can catch up with as each new story unfolds. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite Windham or choose one Lonely Lord over another BUT.....Ah, Douglas, I have been waiting a long time for you, Gwen and little Rose; actually since you made your first appearance in this author's first book. January 7th can't come soon enough for me!

Beguiling the Beauty (The Fitzhugh Trilogy Book 1)
Beguiling the Beauty (The Fitzhugh Trilogy Book 1)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, loved, loved it, May 5, 2012
I'm a bit surprised to see some of the less than stellar reviews for this book as I loved, loved, loved it.

That I liked it so much came as a surprise as I found the basics of the story given out in the synopsis somewhat hard to imagine. The heroine keeping her identity a secret through several intimate encounters seemed unlikely but it was written in a believable manner; especially given Christian need to desire a woman for something other than the perfection of her face.

Christian's shame over lusting after another man's beautiful wife for years leads him to make some judgments about the object of his yearnings' character, based on gossip and innuendo, that perhaps make him feel better about his obsession but end up nearly costing him his happy ending.

Venetia, on the other hand, realizes her mistake almost immediately but can't find a way out of trap she laid for Christian that now ensnares her. Our hero still doesn't realize his and compounds it by continuing to dismiss his fascination with a woman of beauty as shallow while still admitting his desire for her; even after professing his love for the one he tells himself he wants though he has never seen her face. While the Duke was lying to himself he also realized he wanted both, waiting for truth to hit him was delicious. For an intelligent man it took him a long time to pick up the clues; some of which Venetia left for him like a trail of bread crumbs he ignored. Christian thought Venetia shallow but his years long fascination with her younger self was the very definition of the word.

The secondary characters were well written too. Fitz and Millie are up next and I look forward to seeing how they deal with the return of his `true love' and the resolution of their eight year `pact'. I can only imagine (and hope) that Helena's story will involve Hastings.

I recommend `Beguiling the Beauty' and can't wait to read the other two Fitzhugh siblings' stories. Thankfully `Ravishing the Heiress' will be out July 3rd.

The Duchess Diaries: The Bridal Pleasures Series
The Duchess Diaries: The Bridal Pleasures Series
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Read, February 10, 2012
This was a delightful read. Funny, sexy and engaging. The theme was creative. The panic of a diary lost that contained such personal observations, make that blatant sexual fantasies, is something any reader could cringe over along with Charlotte. The Duke's slow slide from trapped fiancé to willing bridegroom was a pleasure to observe. I laughed dozens of times at the witty exchanges and the camaraderie between some of the characters who knew each other well and felt free to tease and torment.

What I liked a lot:

The lead characters. Charlotte was endearing and the Duke was enticing. Both found the other irresistible and strangely enough both turned out to have both characteristics. The Duke had a much softer side than anyone expected and Charlotte was an unexpected siren.

The diary as a major plot point. One that not only brought the lead couple together; but was connected to so many other characters.

The spicy encounters were well written; although I would have enjoyed a bit more of that and a bit less of the endless parade of secondary characters...

Therefore, what I didn't like as much:

There were more characters running around in this novel than any I've read since `War and Peace'. The former beau and the dual added nothing to the story. The daughter was treated as an afterthought who, in my opinion, should have made an appearance as soon as they began planning a wedding.

This book reminded me again that unmarried, attractive dukes appear to have been available by the hundreds in Regency England. If I counted up the number of dukes who appear in romance novels they would outnumber the working class. England currently has only twenty-three dukes. At any given time in history at least half of the dukes would either be married or grandfather material. Someone evidently believes that the word DUKE sells books. Maybe it does but it's becoming a little trite.

Seven Years to Sin
Seven Years to Sin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Question for Other Readers, September 1, 2011
I loved this story and I'm not usually a fan of shipboard romances.

I think one of the things I appreciated was that there were no long term overblown misunderstandings between any of the characters, creepy villains, or worse pirates, to be overcome. The tension in the book comes from the past and how it affects the present lives of both the major and minor characters. TINY SPOILER -- we never really get to know the horrible fathers that make up much of the back-story being told as the story unfolds; which was fine. They were ghosts that needed to be exorcised, but I didn't really want to know them.

I finished the book with one burning question: Anyone else think Lucien Remington might have been Alistair's natural father? I really wanted to know who the Duchess had taken to her bed and why and found it interesting that Caulfield's middle name was Lucius.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2011 10:03 AM PST

The Heir (Windham Series)
The Heir (Windham Series)
by Grace Burrowes
Price: $7.99
106 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good News on What's Next, December 20, 2010
First let me add my praise for this new author. What a stunning debut novel!

Like other readers I wanted more. I had hoped this book would resolve the relationship between Valentine and Morgan as all the secondary characters were so well written. The good news is that this is the first book in a planned series. From an interview I found with Grace Barrows:

Q. Now 'The Heir' is so fantastically written with such vibrant characters that I was left longing for the other's stories to be told. I heard through the grapevine that The Heir is the beginning of a trilogy? Whose story is coming up next?

A. This is NOT a difficult question; this is a wonderful question. The Duke's Obsession trilogy continues with Devlin St. Just, Westhaven's older half-brother, whose story will be published next summer as 'The Soldier', and brother Lord Valentine Windham's story published in Fall 2011. The working title for Val's story is, 'The Virtuoso', owing to his proficiency at the keyboard (and perhaps elsewhere as well). And then, for Christmas 2011 we start on the five sisters in this lovely family with Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish. Big families are wonderful, aren't they?

More here: [...]

So we can expect two books from Ms. Barrows in 2011. I was hoping there were already a couple of previous titles out there I could enjoy immediately. I will settle for discovering that this author has a series planned and knowing that the rest of the Duke's extended family will all get their own book and look forward to reading each of their stories.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2011 2:46 PM PST

Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers Book 1)
Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers Book 1)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This Writer Always Delivers, November 3, 2010
I'm a big fan of Lorraine Heath's books and this one didn't disappoint. I don't often read something that moves me to tears but there are two such scenes in 'Passions of a Wicked Earl'. Another plus was the appearance or mention of characters from her previous books -- Jack Dodger from 'Between the Devil and Desire' Frannie and the Duke of Greystone from 'Surrender to the Devil', and James Swindler from 'Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel'.

Cannot wait for the next two books in the series. Of the two remaining brothers I find myself much less interested in Stephen; whose story is due out at the end of November. I grew extremely annoyed with his shallow stupidity in this book and liked him even less than I did the vicious mistress. Hopefully he can turn out to be less of a zero and more of a hero when his tale is told. His mother's secret is sure to come out and become an issue. In fact his mother's love life could undergo a dramatic change given what happened in the Epilogue; even thought I'll admit to liking her painter(matchmaking)much younger beau a lot! I'm really looking forward to the Duke of Ainsley's story coming next July. There's a character worth taking center stage. Sigh!

To Sin With A Scoundrel (Circle of Sin)
To Sin With A Scoundrel (Circle of Sin)
by Cara Elliott
Price: $6.99
110 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ with To Surrender to a Rogue Coming, April 22, 2010
Loved it. Great main characters, great secondary characters, two cute kids and enough scandal and sex to keep you warm. Looking forward to Alessandra and Jack's story coming in June.

What a fantastic new writer!