Profile for Jamie Caldwell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jamie Caldwell RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
by Peter John Gentry
Price: $31.29
56 used & new from $19.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom Through Covenant - (Very) Briefly Reviewed, June 4, 2014
I recently had the privilege of reading yet another recent release from Crossway Books. Kingdom Through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants by Peter Gentry and Steven Wellum is an outstanding book that I whole-heartedly recommend. However, my recommendation comes with a warning: Don't read this book if you are content to espouse the views of whatever theological school of thought you were brought up in without critical reflection. In other word, if you don't want to have your assumed understanding of Scripture and your implied theological underpinnings laid bare and made stronger, then stay away from Kingdom Through Covenant.

In this book, Gentry and Wellum blaze a trail that runs right through the heart of Scripture and offers an untrodden via media between the well-worn paths of Dispensational and Covenant Theology. This book is a must read for pastors, church leaders, and anyone looking to deepen their theological understanding. It can be discouragingly thick and intellectually daunting at times, but it is worth the work. The reader who perseveres will be rewarded with a deeper understanding of Scripture and a more critical understanding of two major theological movements.

God in the Whirlwind: How the Holy-love of God Reorients Our World
God in the Whirlwind: How the Holy-love of God Reorients Our World
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars God in the Whirlwind, March 4, 2014
David Wells is brilliant and his new book, God in the Whirlwind – How the Holy-love of God Reorients our World, is brilliant. My only complaint is that it might just be too brilliant. In God in the Whirlwind, Wells calls upon a lifetime of scholarly pursuits to create a work that is both wide and deep. God in the Whirlwind is wide because it is part cultural critique and part biblical survey; it is also an ecclesiological polemic and worship apologetic that concludes with an inspiring call to service. But it is deep in the way it connects each of these separate themes to the idea of God’s Holy-love. Theologically, I agreed with most of the book (and my infrequent disagreements are with solely periphery issues). But practically, it was just too much. I felt as though I, and not God, was in the whirlwind.

However, I still want to commend this book to those searching for an intellectually robust discussion of God’s love and holiness. For me, this was not an easy read, but it still had its rewarding moments. For example: Wells’ summarization of the “new perspective” on Paul was itself worth the price of the book.

P.S. For a more detailed look at the arguments of the book, check out the reviews written by James K. A. Smith (Christianity Today) and Kevin DeYoung (The Gospel Coalition).

What Is the Meaning of Sex?
What Is the Meaning of Sex?
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Smart, and Compelling, February 11, 2014
Denny Burk has done us all a favor in What is the Meaning of Sex?, his latest work to be released by Crossway Books. This book is clearly written, painstakingly researched, and deeply compelling. It is exhaustive enough to be immensely helpful, but concise enough to stand the test of time. I can honestly say that I have not read any other book on sexual ethics as practical and prophetic as this one.

I have already recommended this book to pastors, friends, married couples, and single men. Now, I am recommending it to you – whoever you are. If you are concerned with the ethics of sex, gender, marriage, or family planning (i.e. birth control), then you need to pick this book up and work through it. If you are not concerned with the ethics of sex, gender, marriage, or family planning, then you should probably get off the internets and flee to a cave in which you might live out the remainder of your days.

What Is Biblical Theology?: A Guide to the Bible's Story, Symbolism, and Patterns
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What is Biblical Theology? ... It's a great read!, February 3, 2014
I have read and reviewed a goodly number of titles for Crossway Books over the last few years. I have learned from most of them. I have enjoyed many of them. Rarely, however, have I read any book that managed to instruct my mind and captivate my imagination the way What is Biblical Theology? by Dr. James Hamilton did. From the very outset, I found myself unwilling to stop reading this beautiful little book.

It is evident that Hamilton works hard to distill the meta-narrative of Scripture down to a manageable magnificence, but he somehow avoids the ever-present trap of becoming simplistic and overly-reductionistic. For every summary that he gives, Hamilton hints at larger mysteries that remain to be engaged and enjoyed. In fact, readers are repeatedly encouraged to move beyond merely reading about biblical theology and to undertake this discipline on their own.

I can honestly say that this is a worthwhile book for every student, scholar, teacher, pastor, leader, and follower that I know. You should buy this book and you should read this book. Then, you should probably buy a copy for a friend.

Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem
Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem
Price: $7.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Busy is Crazy Good, November 4, 2013
Kevin DeYoung’s latest book (just released by Crossway Books) is titled, Crazy Busy – A (Mercifully Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem, and it’s amazing. In fact, it’s so amazing that you should stop reading this review and buy the book right now.

There. Now that you’ve made your purchase, I will tell you why you should cancel your appointments for the day, get a cup of coffee, and read this book before bed.

Reason #1: Read this book today because you NEED to. We are busy people living in a busy world. We are drowning in deadlines and exhausted from cramming too many commitments into too little free time. You and I need help. We need to realign our lives and priorities so that we can be less hurried, frazzled, and frantic.

Reason #2: Read this book today because it is RIGHT! Kevin DeYoung doesn’t promise to make you a better time-manager or a more efficient human; neither does he promise a money-back-guarantee that this book will fix you. Instead, he offers you clear and wise biblical counsel on escaping the global trap of busyness.

Reason #3: Read this book today because it is GOOD. DeYoung’s book is short, funny, and practical. It is also wise and thoroughly biblical. It is even personal and entertaining. Once you start Crazy Busy, you will want to finish it. You will probably also annoy your wife by reading aloud certain really great parts that you think are funny and that she needs to hear. At least, that’s what I did.

So, seriously, buy Crazy Busy. Buy it today and read it … soon!

The Poverty of Nations: A Sustainable Solution
The Poverty of Nations: A Sustainable Solution
by Wayne Grudem
Price: $23.97
59 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The Poverty of Nations - Reviewed, October 16, 2013
Wayne Grudem and Barry Asmus have teamed up to give the world an incredibly readable and realistically sustainable solution to global poverty. Their book, The Poverty of Nations - A Sustainable Solution, was released by Crossway Books during the summer of 2013. Like all of Grudem's work, The Poverty of Nations is well-organized, meticulously researched, insightful, and clear. On top of all this, Grudem and Asmus have also managed to deliver a book that is thoroughly biblical without becoming religiously parochial. If you are concerned with the world's poor, God's glory, the mission of the church, or economic policy in general, then you should read this book.

The Poverty of Nations begins with an explanation of the proposed solution to global poverty, i.e. increasing a nation's GDP via a free market system that enables citizens to produce more goods and services. The authors explain why other goals and systems may sound good, but will ultimately fail to relieve poverty. At this point, Grudem and Asmus explain that the free market system is the only system capable of moving a nation out of poverty by increasing GDP. Then, in the most technical chapter of the book, the authors teach the reader how a free market system works. The remainder of the book explicates the moral advantages, the leadership decisions, the freedoms, and the values that produce a free market.

Bonhoeffer on the Christian Life: From the Cross, for the World (Theologians on the Christian Life)
by Stephen J. Nichols
Price: $15.22
34 used & new from $10.59

4.0 out of 5 stars From the Cross, For the World, August 17, 2013
I have spent longer than usual reading my latest book. Bonhoeffer on the Christian Life: From the Cross, For the World, by Stephen J. Nichols has been on my desk, in my backpack, beside my bed, and in my suitcase for more than sixty days. This is somewhat surprising because the book is a slim volume (only 200 pages - counting the index), and I like to read quickly. Unless, of course, a book is so dense with truth and relevant application that to rush reading would be almost absurd. Bonhoeffer was just such a book.

This latest offering in the "Theologians on the Christian Life Series" by Crossway books, has its feet firmly standing in two worlds. It is a well-written, albeit brief, biography, and it is also a rich cache of theological truths. Nichols begins the work with a quick introduction of Bonhoeffer, the man. Then he turns his attention to the major themes and ideas that shaped all of Bonhoeffer's life and work: namely, "Life from the Cross" and "Life in the Church." In the pen-ultimate section of the book, Nichols reveals that Bonhoeffer's life from the cross is a life of spiritual discipline. Then, in the final parts of the book, we are invited to see how Bonhoeffer's disciplined life from the cross leads, naturally, to his life in the church.

No matter who you are, reading Bonhoeffer will benefit you. Bonhoeffer's theology will challenge you, his biography will inspire you and Nichol's commentary will render even the most challenging passages understandable and applicable. So, you should buy this book and read this book. In case you aren't convinced yet, here are (just a few) of my favorite moments from the book...

"... discipleship is living in all of our lives - in our work, in our marriages and families, in our citizenship, and in our church communities - through, toward, and in Christ" (148).

"Because I am a preacher of the Word, I cannot expound Scripture unless I let it speak to me every day. I will misuse the Word in my office if I do not keep meditating on it in prayer" (91).

"For all of us the way into the promised land passes through the night ... we enter into the land of God and of our brother as limping warriors" (180).

Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts
Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts
by Jerram Barrs
Price: $15.22
45 used & new from $5.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Tending the Untamed Garden, June 20, 2013
Jerram Barrs' is the kind of man I would like to have coffee with. He has pastored people, planted churches, studied with giants, inspired men and women, and written books. His latest book, Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts, has just been released by Crossway and it is definitely worth reading. Echoes of Eden is, in the words of Tim Keller, "the most accesible, readable, and yet theologically robust work on Christianity and the arts that you will be able to find" (Back Cover).

Echoes of Eden begins with Professor Barrs patiently walking his readers through a theological understanding of art and artists. Then, he applies the truths he has taught us by taking us on a journey. This journey begins in the magical land of Narnia, travels through the epic space of Middle Earth, stops for a visit at King's Cross and Hogwarts, takes in a Shakespearean play, and ends in the inviting world of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

Echoes of Eden is, however, not just another book about Christianity and Culture or literary criticism; it is, in fact, art itself. Professor Barrs labors to show us how great literature (like all great art) contains "echoes from Eden." As a consequence, he has created a work that echoes the edenic truth that humans were created in God's image and as such we are to be sub-creators expressing God's glory through creative dominion. Thank you Professor Barrs for tending the untamed garden of art and allowing us to watch you work.

Journey to Joy: The Psalms of Ascent
Journey to Joy: The Psalms of Ascent
Price: $9.59

4.0 out of 5 stars JOURNEY TO JOY - MANIFESTO, BATTLE PLAN, AND ROADMAP, May 26, 2013
Josh Moody, pastor, author, and scholar, has just released Journey to Joy: The Psalms of Ascent through Crossway Books, and I have just devoured it. It is deeply biblical, constantly relevant, and compassionately pastoral. Moody has managed to write a book that transcends simple categories. It is a manifesto that publicly declares the rightness of journeying to joy; it is a battle plan that prepares you for the attacks that seek to derail your journey to joy; and it is a roadmap that reveals the true path and exposes the false leads that will be encountered as you journey to joy. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. You need to buy it, you need to read it, and you need to tell your friends about it.

Rhythms of Grace: How the Church's Worship Tells the Story of the Gospel
Rhythms of Grace: How the Church's Worship Tells the Story of the Gospel
by Mike Cosper
Price: $14.00
20 used & new from $10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, April 30, 2013
I finished reading Mike Cosper's latest book, Rhythms of Grace - How the Church's Worship Tells the Story of the Gospel, last week. But I made myself wait to write the review because I hoped to avoid gushing like an eighth grade girl invited to prom. Alas, my delay has not lessened my intense love for this book; so, let the gushing begin... I have read and reviewed numerous books from the great authors and editors of Crossway. I have loved several of these and truly liked many more. Yet none of them can compare to Rhythms of Grace.

For the sake of full disclosure, though, I should admit that I am planting a church that has just transitioned to weekly services every Sunday morning. This means that worship has been much on mind of late. Thus, a large part of my enjoyment and edification may be a result of the timeliness with which this book arrived on my desk. But, even in the absence of the providential alignment of my needs and Mike Cosper's wisdom, I am sure that I would have enjoyed Rhythms of Grace. This book was well-written, solidly grounded in the Biblical narrative, smartly focused on applicable principles, and courageously delivered with conviction. I believe that every pastor, every worship leader, and every elder MUST read this book. I also believe that every Christian, every singer, every worshipper should read it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3