Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Glynn Clapsaddle > Reviews

Browse

Glynn Clapsaddle's Profile

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glynn Clapsaddle "glynn@thestreetlamp.com" RSS Feed (San Diego, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Tokina 12mm - 24mm F/4 PRO DX Autofocus Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Tokina 12mm - 24mm F/4 PRO DX Autofocus Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
4 used & new from $350.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely BEAUTIFUL lens. Get it now, you will not be sorry, February 1, 2009
I now have the following lenses for my D200. Nikon 18-200 VR, 10.5mm Nikon Fisheye, Sigma 50-500mm, and Nikon 50mm f/1.8. This Tokina is now my favorite lens. Between the amazing character of the ultra-wide and the unrivaled clarity and sharpness of its optics, I still cannot accept how low the price is. The only negative that I can think of is the push/pull of the manual/auto focus ring. A little awkward, but, I can live with that. This lens is very solidly built and, in my humble opinion, is optically better than the Nikon at more than twice the price. It has very little chromatic aberration and is extremely fast in focusing. I did consider the Tokina 11-16, f/2.8, at another almost $200. For my use, the difference between 11 and 12 on the low end was negligible and the increase from 16-24 on the high end was worth that sacrifice. The aperture difference did not seem such a big deal to me either. I am so blown away by this lens, that I now begin each shoot with this lens, trying to make it work, before I consider selecting another option in my bag.

Night and Low-Light Photography: Professional Techniques from Experts for Artistic and Commercial Success
by Jill Waterman
Price: $29.95
63 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a great book to learn from, February 1, 2009
I have gotten tired of flipping through books titled "Everything you could ever know about photography" that is only 120 pages of big fonts. THIS book does not fall into this category. It is well-written, laid out in a logical manner, and full of excellent instruction. It has examples by professional photographers on different techniques and subjects in night photography. Each example has a detailed explanation of how the shot was taken and what settings were used. I am seriously impressed with this and am beyond satisfied with my purchase. If low-light or night exposures are something you are getting into, this book is a Must-Have.

Tara Toy Company 24 Car Case Super Holds 24 Die Cast Mini Cars Will Hold Most Hot Wheels and Matchbox
7 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, May 27, 2005
Yes, the case itself is made of the generric flimsy plastic that they used to make Halloween costumes out of back in the 80's. However, so far, I have not had any durability issues with it. The big selling point for me, though, was that it included two of the plastic trays to put the cars in. I first got a Hot Wheels car carrier made of solid plastic, but it did not hold the cars securely and while carrying the case, the cars would move around inside and scrape each other up. The removable divider trays in this case are perfect and do not allow the cars to move at all, even if you tip the case upside down. I highly recommend this portable case.

Century .3X Ultra Fisheye Adapter, DVX
Century .3X Ultra Fisheye Adapter, DVX
Price: $1,030.00
2 used & new from $1,030.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much vignetting, April 24, 2005
First, the positives about this lens. First, the fisheye distortion is definitely top of the line, there's nothing out there that can match its clarity and symmetrical barrel effect. When using it, I could not see any color aberrations either, it was very crisp.

That said, I was still disappointed with the vignetting of the lens. In case you are not familiar with the term, vignetting is the black areas you see around the lens, its the same effect you get when zooming out too much on a telephoto lens, or adding too many filters onto your lens.

I understand that vignetting is going to occur with any fisheye, it's the nature of the beast. I had read that the Century optics had the least vignetting of all its competitor's. I only tried this one, so I can not speak for how it compares, I can only tell you that I did not like the performance of this one. In order to get rid of the vignetting in-camera, I had to zoom in 50%, which removed a LOT of the fisheye effect, definitely not a good solution. So, the other option, is to crop the footage in my software editor. I dropped it into Final Cut Pro. Unfortunately, I had to crop it so much, that the final images were not very sharp and I had lost a lot of resolution. Again, not a quality solution. If anything, I may go buy Adobe After Effects and do the fisheye effect in post production. If the Century is the best out there, then I will not be using one at all.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera for advance amateurs and above, April 7, 2005
If this is your first camera, you will be in trouble. Because, yes, the manual is very limited, and it has a lot of advanced features. However, this camera was not made for the beginner's market. This is my third video camera, an upgrade so that I can produce higher quality independent films. First, the 24P feature, it shoots 24 frames per second and I must say, it does look like film. It looks rather spectacular, actually. The first day I had it, I was a little overhwelmed. But, with every feature available as both automatic and manual, a little experimentation, the quality of my images has improved drastically. The 24P does take a little work and knowledge in order to make it work, but the result is well worth the time. Also, there is a spectacular user website out there with hundreds of users and experts who can help. Personally, I love that everything can operate manually, as I now am able to correct for poor lighting when shooting scenes that do not allow studio lights, like birthday parties, and the such. For a year, this was my dream camera, and once I got it, I was not disappointed. For any people out there who are considering this model, feel free to contact me, and I will either answer any questions I can or direct you to someone who can. This camera is an independent filmmaker's dream.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2008 5:00 PM PST

Panasonic Pro AG-DVX100A 3-CCD MiniDV Proline Camcorder w/10x Optical Zoom (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
20 used & new from $288.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera for advance amateurs and above, April 7, 2005

Bamboozled
Bamboozled
DVD ~ Damon Wayans
Offered by gamecoma
Price: $69.99
35 used & new from $9.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spike Lee tragedy full of symbolism and metaphor, November 20, 2004
This review is from: Bamboozled (DVD)
I have recently decided to finally expose myself to the work of Spike Lee, putting his entire body of work at the top of my DVD rental list, and Bamboozled was the first one to arrive. I must say that I can not wait for the rest of them to come in. The only negative aspect of this film is something that several others have pointed out...the voice of Damon Wayans' character. Through the film it did begin to grate on me as I heard it, seeming too forced and unreal. However, Wayans did a solid job of portraying a man who, having made a horrible mistake of judgement, slips into denial and ends up rationalizing the error to himself until he believes he actually did the right thing. The supporting cast was also very strong, Savion Glover is a very talented tap dancer, and Tommy Davidson shows that he is more than just a comedic actor. Michael Rappaport pulled off what was a very dangerous role, as it is so easy to play the role of a white man trying to be black and turn it into a cliche of ignorance. Instead, he was very believable and very tasteless and rude, a flawless performance.

As for Spike Lee? I thoroughly enjoyed his direction. The graininess and edginess of the quality of the cinematography is a beautiful character of his work. It has a distinct style that can be identified as his work immediately. He wrote a very powerful story, showing several sides of the struggle of the black man trying to be successful in this day and age. Sometimes, it seems that the only way to succeed is to sell out in one way or another. In the end, the deaths are metaphorical, symbolizing the cultural death of those who sell out, that they are eventually ostracized from both the white and the black sides of society. The story is a Shakespeare-style tragedy, rife with internal conflicts, a main character with a fatal flaw, and an ending with permanent finality. There really is not a hero, nor is there a villian, as none of the characters are one-dimensional. Their conflicts are never black and white, no pun intended. They are complex problems created from the characters' choices and their circumstances. It is easy to see how their mistakes are made. We can believe that we would not have made the same choices if we were in their position, but that is easy to say from the outside looking in.

In this film, Lee told the tale of several real and human characters, presenting a struggle that he sees every day. He withheld judgement of these people, and did not force his opinion on the viewer, allowing the viewer to decide who was right and who was wrong. I look forward to seeing the rest of his work.

Run Lola Run
Run Lola Run
DVD ~ Moritz Bleibtreu
Offered by Clyde Parks
Price: $15.64
119 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Every little detail matters, November 18, 2004
This review is from: Run Lola Run (DVD)
This German film is a fascinating exposition in how events in our lives that my seem trivial can actually have a huge effect in the long run. Much like Ray Bradbury's butterfly, who's death in prehistoric times forever changed how the English language was written, this movie explores the domino effect. By exploring three different outcomes from the same triggered event, it successfully reminds us that every moment of our lives is important. Through the film, some of the differences between the three versions are very obvious, and some are quite subtle. I enjoy such subtlety, as it allows me to watch the film more than once and see new things each time.

Beyond the philosophy and creativity of the storyline, this film is also very well shot. Bright colors and eye candy fill the 80 minute showing, complimented with heart-racing fast-paced editing and manic visual effects. By the end of the film, one might be just as exhausted as Lola.

I have not seen a lot of German cinema, myself, but after seeing this film, I think its time I explored their exports more.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its price range, November 11, 2004
I have had this camera for a total of 48 hours and I am just beside myself with the quality of its performance. The quailty of the pictures themselves is spectacular, allowing cropping and blowing up of portions of the picture without quality loss. The atuo functions work very well, letting the photographer concentrate more on composition, its awesome for an amateur photographer using an SLR for the first time. In addition, every single aspect can be controlled manually, giving complete artistic fredom. It is light, fully-featured, and well designed to be easy to use. As for the lens included in this package, it is definitely high quality. One of the reviewers mentioned that it is an unusual diameter, 67mm. At first glance, it is unusual, however, B+W, AKA Schneider Optics, makes the best filters in the industry. The benefit to the owner of this lens? Their line is the most complete in the 67mm diameter, offering graduated color filters, warming and cooling, and everything else you can think of. I LOVE the size of this lens as I no longer have any limits to what I can put on it. Yes, the accessories have been somewhat hard to come by, as it is a VERY popular camera. But it is worth it. Anyone who is caught with indecision between this and the Canon Rebel, drop me a line, and I can get comparison information into your hands, including side-by-side photography. The Nikons is hands down the better camera.

Andy Goldsworthy's Rivers & Tides
Andy Goldsworthy's Rivers & Tides
DVD ~ Andy Goldsworthy
Price: $13.97
56 used & new from $2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful portrait of an amazing artist, November 11, 2004
For those who are not familiar with Andy Goldsworthy's work, he creates sculptures from nature, using rocks and tree branches and grass and anything else around the location he has chosen. He has decided specifically to create scultpures that will only stand temporarily, as he searches for a better understanding of life, death, and the passage of time. This film does a fantastic job of exploring the creative process and amazing things that can happen when an artist continues to experiment and look for new opportunities. Through this discovery, Goldsworthy passes on to us his philosophy and unique perspective on the world. It is truly a visually beautiful film and worth watching on that merit alone. For those of us who are artists, it is a must-see, both to learn and identify with someone who has a beautiful understanding of the world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7