Profile for Michael Leeson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Leeson "-'s son" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Polishing the Mirror: How to Live From Your Spiritual Heart
Polishing the Mirror: How to Live From Your Spiritual Heart
by Ram Dass
Price: $16.34
73 used & new from $8.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Ram Dass likes love, October 19, 2013
I have to give this five stars because I want to help the book sell so that Ram Dass receives some dinero for his efforts. First, it has a shiny silver dust jacket that distortedly reflects your face. I believe it was Hui Neng who said, The mind if like a clear mirror. We must strive constantly to polish it. So no dust can cling. He was obsessive. In Polishing the Mirror: How to Live From Your Spiritual Heart, Ram Dass takes you on his path, sharing how he felt meeting his guru Neem Karoli Baba, who seemingly imbued Richard Alpert with so much love that he transformed to Ram Dass, servant of God. Ram Dass clearly loves existence, which he feels was made more palpable by his stroke. He seems left with longer spaces between his thoughts. The book, is fluid, never uninteresting, a good use of your money and time.

Frontier Herb Organic Ground Turmeric Root, 1 Pound -- 1 each.
Frontier Herb Organic Ground Turmeric Root, 1 Pound -- 1 each.
Offered by Deals On Call
Price: $19.49
9 used & new from $14.75

5.0 out of 5 stars My first turmeric experience, October 19, 2013
I decided for no very good reason to drink a suspension with water of ground orange turmeric, yellow ginger, brown cinnamon, and red cayenne. The taste is strongly spicy with a floral aftertaste. After drinking it, I have been told I smell like a chai latte. The ground ginger and turmeric mix easily with the water but a portion of the cinnamon clings to the sides of the glass. I add water, swirl it around and chug it until all the cinnamon is gone. But this isn't about cinnamon. So what does it do, this turmeric? I heard somewhere (Doctor Oz?), that turmeric reduces inflammation in the body. Perhaps it does. I was not inflamed as far as I know.. It is highly regarded in India for its curative powers. Of course India also has temples to monkey gods. So consider the perspective. Should you start taking turmeric? I have always been healthy, so I cannot say my heath has improved. One change I have noticed is that when I am standing or sitting near someone -- within two feet or so -- I can clearly hear their thoughts. It's not pleasant, and I have no basis to say it is caused by ingesting the turmeric. As ground turmeric goes, this Frontier Herb Organic Ground Turmeric Root is the best I have ever had. It's a root worth taking. Of course you may just want it to spice up your lamb rogan dash or make a curry or sprinkle it around the perimeter of your home to ward off evil. I didn't use it that way so I can't advise you. If you buy it and throw it away, you will have lost twenty bucks and experienced a small lesson in non-attachment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2013 8:05 AM PST

No-Ad Kids Sunscreen Lotion Spf 50
No-Ad Kids Sunscreen Lotion Spf 50
Price: $8.97
19 used & new from $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars It works on big people too, August 11, 2013
I am not a kid. I got a bottle to take to the tropics. It's easy to apply, has no fragrance, did not irritate my skin, and I didn't get sunburned. I bought the product labeled for kids because it's hypoallergenic, odorless, and seemed to have the most basic list of ingredients. I reapplied it after spending time in the ocean just to be safe, but it does seem to be fairly water resistant. It has a fairly high SPF and no doubt will work well on kids. It costs less than many other sunscreen products and in my opinion does the job as well as the high-priced spreads. It's made in the USA.

Marvel's The Avengers [HD]
Marvel's The Avengers [HD]
DVD
Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Joss Whedon saves America, August 11, 2013
The production values are astounding. Joss Whedon filled the screen with a plethora of visuals and sound. The sets are vast and the special effects are as good as you'll ever see in this genre. Evil beings try to rule/destroy Earth, virtuous beings get banged up but save Earth. I guess there were novel and clever exchanges among the super heroes but I couldn't tell you what they were. If you're a super hero fan, you'll love it. I'm not a super hero fan, so I didn't love it and thought it seemed long. And it is pretty long at around 2 1/2 hours. The best thing about it from my perspective was that the end credits went on almost as long as the movie, meaning tons of people got paychecks. Joss Whedon and Marvel are our best hope for salvaging the American economy and restoring the American dream.

SPRI Heavy Jump Rope (2-Pound)
SPRI Heavy Jump Rope (2-Pound)
Price: $39.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging cardio workout, April 3, 2013
This review is from: SPRI Heavy Jump Ropes (Sports)
It weighs two pounds and appears to be a very flexible black rubber tube filled with sand, capped with blue plastic handles. I haven't had it long enough to judge its durability, but as long as the rubber stays in the handles and it's not used on an abrasive surface (like concrete or asphalt) it should last a good while. I wrapped the plastic handles with some cloth handlebar tape; plastic handles in sweaty hands can make for a tenuous grip. And this rope will make you sweat. Because of the mass and the springy quality of the rubber, it's difficult to rotate the rope at anything approaching speed rope velocity. I suspect it would hurt less when you missed than a steel cable would. A few minutes of jumping definitely gets the heart rate up and works the wrists, shoulders and back. The handles are connected directly to the rubber; there are no ball bearings or swivels, but the rope doesn't tangle and swings smoothly enough. Arm criss-crosses are possible and exhausting. During a workout I alternate between the 2 pound Heavy Rope and a Buddy Lee speed rope. It's made in the USA.

Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseeds, 24-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseeds, 24-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
Price: $18.76
4 used & new from $10.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Organic Golden i, September 17, 2009
Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseeds are an excellent way to ingest some Omega 3. 96 ounces are delivered in 4 packs, and if you don't use it all immediately I suggest storing the seeds in the freezer to keep them fresh. Grind them right before you use them, and they have a mild taste -- milder than brown flaxseed. I've ordered this product several times, and the quality has been consistently high.

Bob's Red Mill Natural Raw Sunflower Seeds, 20-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Natural Raw Sunflower Seeds, 20-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
Price: $15.58
4 used & new from $15.58

3.0 out of 5 stars Organic is better, September 17, 2009
Bob's Red Mill Natural Raw Sunflower seeds are less expensive than Sunridge Farms Organic Sunflower Seeds -- the brand I previously bought -- but I judge the freshness, wholeness, and tastiness of the seeds to be less than Sunridge. If you're cooking with the seeds or grinding them, Bob's product is fine. If you're eating the seeds out of the bag, I'd spend the extra bucks and go with Sunridge. Amazon delivered the goods on time and in good condition.

Black Swan Green: A Novel
Black Swan Green: A Novel
by David Mitchell
41 used & new from $1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars To be thirteen again...., September 7, 2006
When I first picked up Black Swan Green I had very little knowledge of the contents of the book. I knew I had to read it by the end of summer, that's about it. As soon as I began reading I connected to Jason, the main character. As Jason stumbled along through adolescence I was reminded of my own experience. Acceptance, girls and family issues are three of the problems all teenagers must deal with. However, watching a character like Jason maneuver these problems makes you re-live the pain of middle-school. The book reminded me of a less awkward ¬Perks of Being a Wallflower. Although the slang is difficult to comprehend towards the beginning (at least for an American teen with his own set of slang) by the end you are ready to exchange nasty remarks with some popular bloke. The book is full of humor, patches of humility, frustration and sadness. David Mitchell's writing was perfect for the subject matter of the book, connecting you even further to the feeling of being thirteen. If you are either a teenager or have made it through your teen years you will enjoy this account of a male, teenage, English... well... you.