Profile for Granite City Green Guy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 59

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Granite City Green Guy RSS Feed (St. Cloud, MN United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Full Black: A Thriller (The Scot Harvath Series)
Full Black: A Thriller (The Scot Harvath Series)
by Brad Thor
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $9.74
287 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete garbage...not even worth of the "free" table at my library, September 14, 2014
The "next Ludlum"..."One of the best thrillers of our time"...seriously? This novel is remarkably bad, starting with its inane premise: liberal boogymen have been plotting for 100 years to take over the United States through non-profit organizations. Seriously? I was waiting to see Bella Abzug show up as a ghost or perhaps a cameo by Al Franken as a Islamic terrorist. This really did read like something Rush Limbaugh cooked up in a drunken weekend with Bill O'Reilly. I can understand why a certain demographic might find it entertaining, but it's just so remarkably bad that I found it painful to read.

If nothing else, this is clearly not the place to start with Brad Thor's oeuvre. I for one will not be coming back for more. Literate readers beware, there is no substance here, only sophomoric political ranting and fantasy.

10X JACKYLED 2ND Generation GU10 COB 100% Original Epistar Chip 6W Led Bulbs Warm White 50W Equivalent, Perfect Standard Size, Recessed Lighting, LED spotlight, 550lm, 60°,85V-265V
3 used & new from $66.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good out of the box, service life remains to be seen, September 1, 2014
Good value (so far): output is good, appears brighter than other GU10 LEDs I've tried with similar stated lumens. Color temp is on the cool side, appears like commercial lighting vs the warmer halogen spectrum; I don't mind this as it give a sort of high-tech/commercial cast to our kitchen, which is all stainless and black granite. These are also *less* directional than most other LED spots we've tried, so the same fixture gives better coverage. I actually like these more than the GU10 halogens regardless of energy savings; given that they reduced our main kitchen fixture (the most used in the house) from 200 watts to 28 watts, the energy savings is a big bonus.

These go on instantly, do not flicker, and are physically a bit smaller than other GU10 LEDs I've used. The heat sinks are reasonably large and the unit weighs about the same as other Chinese comparables-- though not as much as the Phillips or GE LEDs that cost 4X as much. The problem I've had with other Chinese bulbs in the past is service life; many brands have shipped 25-50% DOA bulbs (these were all fine) and even the good bulbs sometimes fail within a week...with one brand purchased from Amazon I had a 75% failure rate within a month! I've rated these four stars for their initial appearance and function; will update in a few months as to service life. If these keep working for a year or more (as they should) they are a very good deal at the current price, about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of US-labeled GU10 LEDs at local home improvement stores.

DBPOWER Wired USB Automatic Barcode Scanner Scanning Barcode Bar-code Reader 32 ARM CPU 200 scans/sec--Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money-- works well, but light duty construction, March 25, 2014
I got tired of using my Android phone to bulk scan barcodes; this unit is faster, easier to hold, and connects directly to my PC. I'm using this to catalog my personal library, some 5,000 books total, by scanning barcodes into itrackmine.com's database. After itrackmine locates the record (searching Amazon, LOC, and other databases) it creates a database that includes list prices so i can manage property loss records. It also allows exporting in .csv format, which I do, so I can actually manage my library using librarything.com's service (which is more robust and was designed specifically for books).

I would not recommend this unit for commercial or heavy-duty use, but it works just fine in a household setting. In the box is simply a cable (USB to RJ44, so don't lose it) and a sheet of bar codes that are used to program the unit (controlling sound, volume, output format, and a few other variables). Connect the cable to the scanner, plug it in to a Windows machine, and it will install drivers automatically. From that point it's literally just point-and-click to enter bar codes into your favorite application.

Unit seems fast and accurate-- much faster than my Nexus 5 phone --and while it is light weight plastic it seems robust enough to serve my needs. Because hand scanners have moving parts (rotating mirrors) and a laser, they are relatively fragile...I would not expect this one to survive a big drop or other such abuse. But for the price-- about 1/8th the cost of a commercial unit --it will serve my needs just fine.

Fender Plain Leather Guitar Strap With Fender Logo, Black
Fender Plain Leather Guitar Strap With Fender Logo, Black
Price: $13.20
5 used & new from $11.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete garbage- "leather" in only the most misleading sense, November 15, 2013
Sadly this was complete crap. Calling it "leather" is pretty misleading; it appears to be "bonded" leather, which is basically leather dust pressed together with glue. It's nothing like any real leather strap I've ever had; thin, brittle, and ugly are the best words to describe it. I have lots of guitars and several Fender straps...the woven ones are top of the line in my opinion. I would have returned this immediately but was so disgusted with it that I tossed it in a corner and didn't find it until it was too late to return. A real disappointment for something with the Fender brand on it.

If you're looking for a good leather strap I'd go to Etsy...I've found several nice bison hide straps there for not much more than this cardboard-feeling "leather" product from Fender.

Nexus 5 Case, Spigen Slim Armor Case for Nexus 5 - Champagne Gold (SGP10566)
Nexus 5 Case, Spigen Slim Armor Case for Nexus 5 - Champagne Gold (SGP10566)
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $17.99
4 used & new from $8.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy, solid, and unique look, November 15, 2013
I love the look and feel of this case. Power and volume buttons work well. The finish is classy-- I've had several people comment on it already as it's clearly not an iPhone. Make the N5 look dressed up. The only con is that the cutout for the headphone jack is quite small, so some of my cables won't fit...have to remove the case to use it.

Fender Black/Yellow/Red Monogrammed Strap
Fender Black/Yellow/Red Monogrammed Strap
Price: $11.69
13 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Fender strap, comfortable and well made, November 15, 2013
Classic Fender strap, looks outstanding on my home built Tele with complimentary colors. This is the gold standard in a basic, woven strap from Fender and I'll continue to buy more.

Nexus 5 Case, Caseology [Leather Skin] Google Nexus 5 Case [Burgundy Red] Premium PU Leather Cover Shock Absorbent TPU Armor Bumper Nexus 5 Case (for Google Nexus 5 Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile, Unlocked)
Offered by MODN Mall
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks sharp, good value, power button somewhat awkward, November 15, 2013
Looks sharp and fits the N5 well. The only complaint I have is that the power button ends up somewhat recessed and is hard to feel/push as a result. I bought these in two colors and they are a good deal at this price point (about that of a pint of beer) and offer a low-cost option to dress up and modestly protect the N5. I'm using a more expensive, nicer-looking bumper case most of the time but rotate this one in and out on weekends. Recommended as a basic case or backup.

Reiko 2DPC-HUAWEIM835-0146 Percision Crafted Durable Protective Cover for Huawei Comet M835 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Purple/White
Price: $6.00
4 used & new from $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless-- poor quality and won't fit a Comet, November 13, 2013
Our kids have inherited Comets and wanted new cases. Ordered one of these and received it promptly. And then just as promptly had a sad kid, because the molding is of such poor quality that the case won't actually close on the phone. It will *barely* snap together off the phone, when it's on there's just not enough surface on the locking tabs to hold the pieces together. The cutouts are in the right place, though some are sloppy around the edges, but the overall quality of the case simply too poor to be used.

Sent back for a refund-- we'll be buying from another manufacturer.

Red [2 LP]
Red [2 LP]
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $23.99
11 used & new from $20.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pressing of good music-- perfect tween entre into vinyl, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Red [2 LP] (Vinyl)
I bought this largely because my kids are in to Taylor Swift. We saw the Red tour this fall and it was a great show...probably the best overall production of perhaps 200 shows I've seen since the early 1980s. Her songwriting is solid and the production on her CDs is not bad. I ordered RED on vinyl because I wanted the kids to use one of our many turntables (we have three currently active in the house, with some in reserve) because I have a large LP collection and would like them to use it more often.

RED did not disappoint. This is the first "new" LP I've purchased in many years (I either buy used or have been buying reissues on high-grade vinyl). It was pressed on heavy vinyl (180gr?), and happily is a double LP so includes all the tracks from the CD. Lyrics are printed inside the gatefold jacket. Sound is excellent...the kids said it was better than the CD, but that may be novelty talking for them. I haven't compared on headphones yet but it sounds *good* even on my office setup with bookshelf speakers.

Highly recommended for TS fans or those looking for new music on vinyl.

LED CREE Gu10 base 9W Flood 60 degree soft white bulb 3000k (warm white) led lamp

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible...50% failure rate in one week!, November 30, 2012
These fit a standard GU10 socket and are among the brightest LED bulbs I've found in this style. Though fairly directional, as expected, they worked as general task light in our track light system in the kitchen. They get warm, not hot, and while less bright and a bit cooler in color temp than the 50 watt halogens they replaced I was willing to accept that in trade for an 80% energy savings.

However: one bulb failed after six days, started flickering on-and-off at one second intervals, then dead for a while, then back on. I moved it into alternative sockets and saw the same behavior. Replaced it temporarily with a halogen bulb that worked fine. I decided to return that one; a single bulb might be defective. But before I could mail the return a second bulb failed the same way, flickering on/off intermittently. A 50% failure rate under light use (about two hours/day, no dimmer or other complications) is ridiculous. I guess I'll have to go back to looking at the bulbs that cost 2x as much as these simply don't cut it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6