Profile for Stephen P. Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen P. Johnson "Sven" RSS Feed (Colorado, USA)

Empress Tape Delay Pedal w/ 4 Free Cables
Empress Tape Delay Pedal w/ 4 Free Cables
Offered by GearTree
Price: $249.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential part of my live rig, July 20, 2014
This pedal is worth every penny. If you're looking for a tape style delay with all the modern features like tap tempo and easily to control mix and feedback, this is my top pick of anything around.

This pedal does only one thing but it does it flawlessly and if you love the tape delay sound but don't want to fight with a vintage tape unit this guy is the clear winner in my book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic mic for the price, September 23, 2011
I bought this mic because people kept bumping or knocking over my SM57 on a short stand while setting up and performing. Over all the clarity is very good, the larger diaphragm (compared to the SM57) picks up a larger portion of the speaker cone and the mic is very easy to use. Very little noise and a great form factor. I've even taken to using this paired with my SM57 when recording my guitars.

I would not recommend using this mic for vocals though. I tried it out just to see how it would hold up and it was just a little too strong in the wrong frequencies.

A great mic in a great form factor worthy of the Sennheiser name.

Price: $10.00
162 used & new from $1.76

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Album, September 23, 2011
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
I bought this CD as a gift for my mom who had just recently undergone a surgery and was having to spend large amounts of time sitting or laying in one place, and when you're stuck like that some new music is the best thing in the world. I (and she) couldn't be happier with the quality of this album.

From start to finish the young British songstress pumps out nothing but timeless pieces focusing on emotion and human interaction, 2 things that never change. I imagine this being the sort of album I'll be able to play for kids or grand-kids in 20 or 30 years and still get an excellent response.

Honestly if you're even reading this review then this album is for you.

Science Fiction Movie
Science Fiction Movie
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant indie electro ditties, July 7, 2011
This review is from: Science Fiction Movie (MP3 Music)
I've been listening to these guys for years, so I'm hardly un-biased, but I'm so glad the album finally came out.

On the surface this bad is a Postal Service esque "hit factory" that created a collection of could-be singles focussing on singable vocals and catchy synth riffs. For that reason alone I'd give them a thumbs up because these songs are sure to be stuck in my head for days, and it's mixed in a way that sounds good on my laptop speakers, better on my earbuds, and fantastic on my audio-phile headphones. If you're a fan of synthy music or indie rock you're certain to find something to love here.

When you dig down however, there's layer after layer of clever sounds. Everything from modulating machine like hums to subtle guitar jingles that you're certain to miss the first few times through the album. This was clearly a labor of love for the artists because the deeper you listen the more you hear. The overall dark presence of the music is often contrasted by playful an at times playful lyrics that seems to take itself serious enough to be good but not so serious as to be annoying. I'm sure I'll be picking this album apart for quite a while.

Overall... hit that preview button. You'll know if you like them pretty quick, but for me it was DEFINITELY worth the price of admission.

Pillowface And His Airplane Chronicles
Pillowface And His Airplane Chronicles

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't do it for me, May 26, 2008
I picked this album up after listening to the preview sections provided and really wasn't all that impressed. It's just a pattern of through obscure rap lyrics over popular rock and/or dance songs, rinse, and repeat. Even the remix of D.A.N.C.E. did nothing for me.

The Warrior's Code
The Warrior's Code
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars WHEN WILL IT STOP?, May 26, 2008
This review is from: The Warrior's Code (MP3 Music)
It won't. This album rocks steady from the first track to the last taking a slight break in "green fields of France" then immediately going back to full steam ahead. This was my first Dropkick Murphy's album and you better believe I'll be buying more after what I heard here.

Beautiful Machine (Limited ed)
Beautiful Machine (Limited ed)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shihad for sure, May 26, 2008
Okay I'm a huge Shihad fan so I'm a bit biased, but this is one of the best albums I've heard in a while. It has a solid sound throughout. The band takes a bit of a nostalgic step with this album as it frequently reminds me of their self-titled. brilliant lyrics with (a shock to me) no vulgarities makes this one a safe album for kids, yet obviously a very mature sounding album. The only thing that might be a downer for some of the Shihad fans is that they do sound a little more radio-ready on this album, but not in any way like the Pacifier album. Definitely worth a listen, and in my book, totally worth a buy.

For U.S. listeners/shoppers, this album is in the same vein as Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, and the Foo Fighters.