Profile for Pamela A. Poddany > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 680

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pamela A. Poddany "Book Freak!" RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
My Sunshine Away
My Sunshine Away
by M.O. Walsh
Price: $18.36
135 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars IS THERE EVER A LOVE, ANY LOVE, MADE OF ANSWERS?, May 24, 2015
This review is from: My Sunshine Away (Hardcover)
MY SUNSHINE AWAY

Welcome to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The year is 1989 and our young teen narrator lives in an upper-middle class neighborhood on Piney Creek Road. This is where young Lindy Simpson was raped on a hot summer night. As our narrator explains -- "I should tell you now that I was one of the suspects. Hear me out. Let me explain". So, now, is our likeable narrator a horrible rapist? Do you grow to like this young man only to find out he is a criminal? Read this wonderful book and find out.

So opens one of the best books I have read so far this year. Our nameless narrator tells the story of his life on Piney Creek Road -- the heartache, the loves, his family, his friends, small victories, his crushes, the way of the world, the night neighbor Lindy gets raped and how things are never the same again on Piney Creek Road.

You are introduced to the men who are suspects, family members, neighbors, school friends. Each character is so fully developed you will feel as if they are real people. The narrator is now one of my favorite fictional characters. History is thrown into the book -- hurricanes beating down in the Louisiana area, the Jeffery Dahmer case, television shows from this era. This is one heck of a read.

I cannot stress enough my enjoyment and pleasure I received from reading this book. If you enjoy a great story line with down-to-earth and fleshed-out characters who actually act like REAL people, mystery, some mayhem, and actual family life, this is a book you will love.

M. O. Walsh writes with such power and grace. His words are fluid, silky, shocking. I was immediately immersed in this book -- it's full of mystery, who-dun-it, surprising situations. Yet, Walsh writes such believable circumstances with such lovely prose. He gets right into the mind, heart, and soul of our teen narrator. His characters are fully fleshed-out and truly authentic. The story line of trying to solve the mystery of who raped Lindy, the consequences of that brutal crime, and the day-to-day living on Piney Creek is so totally in-tune, woven together, making for one hell of a read. Walsh has a gift of leaving you hanging on the edge of a towering cliff with simple sentences that make one sit up straight and turn the pages faster and faster for more excitement, surprises, and suspense.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND this book and ENCOURAGE you to read it. You will be glad that you did.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2015 4:50 AM PDT

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable Heavy Duty Canvas Reusable Shopping Tote Bag, Natural and Black Chevron, Set of 3
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME BAGS!, May 15, 2015
DII CANVAS TOTES

I was so happy when these bags arrived. Not only are they sturdy, durable, and attractive, they will look great over your shoulder, over your arm, or carried in your hand. These bags are 15x4x14 inches, hold up to 30 pounds easily, made of canvas with thick sturdy strap handles. The workmanship is high quality and I can foresee these bags lasting for a long time, no matter what you use them for.

And the many ways you can use these bags!!! -- for groceries, a diaper bag, carry-all for your kiddies, your own personal purse, for food shopping, or for cramming a nice stack of divine library books inside. The uses for these bags are endless, use your own imagination.

My set came in the colors of ivory/off-white, black, and black and white Chevron design. All of them are lovely. I decided to give the ivory/off-white one to my daughter and she was thrilled. The black and Chevron design ones are for me. I will probably keep the black one in my car for use at stores or when I decide to run into a garage sale or estate sale and hopefully load it up with all sorts of treasures. I will use the black and white Chevron bag as a summer purse. I know for sure that these bags will become a staple in my busy life.

The bags are made in India, are soft yet sturdy and durable. The canvas is nice and doesn't have that nasty smell some canvas products seem to carry. The tag says they are machine washable and may be placed in a low dryer cycle. I know I will wash these in my machine but I think I will air dry them and perhaps run a low iron over them if necessary. They are 100% cotton.

These bags are great and can be used a million different ways. For the price and that fact that you will receive three bags, you cannot go wrong. Highly recommended.

Made in USA - RollerRings, High Quality Shower Curtain Rings (Set of 12)
Made in USA - RollerRings, High Quality Shower Curtain Rings (Set of 12)
Price: $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT -- USA MADE, May 13, 2015
SHOWER ROLLER RINGS

These rings are nice looking, sturdy, and are corrosion free. They are super easy to install and won't break like the plastic ones do regularly.

These are like shower rings with ball bearings that glide across your shower rod. They eliminate the sticky dragging movement that you get with standard or plastic rings. We have a curved shower rod and the rod, along with the rings, make a great team. You do hear the metal on metal noise and these are not as quiet as the plastic type, but we sort of like the sound it makes and the movement is so smooth. The clasp type closure is an old proven key ring design that won't fail. These will probably be the last shower rings we have to purchase!

An excellent product and best of all -- made in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!

Among the Ten Thousand Things: A Novel
Among the Ten Thousand Things: A Novel
by Julia Pierpont
Price: $17.77

2.0 out of 5 stars ONCE A CHEATER ALWAYS A CHEATER, May 10, 2015
AMONG THE TEN THOUSAND THINGS

This book is about a family possibly falling apart at the seams. Jack, the father of the Shanley family, has an affair. There are many texts and emails involved in the love affair between Jack and his lover. After the break-up, the spurned lover makes copies of these 'love letters' and has them delivered to Jack's wife. Except -- they fall into the wrong hands. The Shanley family will never be the same again.

The tension and suspense, sense of family and love, good writing and interesting/exciting story line take place in the first part of the book. The book is written in four parts, each part telling the story of the family as they progress/digress/ingest the love affair of Jack.

Once I got into part two of the book, all of the zing and promise of a good book seemed to fade quickly away. The family tries to deal with Jack's unfaithfulness and the author goes into detail about how the children and Jack's wife are handling the situation, how they feel towards Jack and his cheating heart. However, not much happened; the characters just meandered around, trying to deal with their upheaval in their lives, how they feel towards their husband/father, how Jack deals with things. The thrill was gone and frankly the book became bit of a bore and a chore to read.

Regarding the characters, I did enjoy the children mostly and I thought the woman in the affair had some hidden rage that was interesting but that also caused undue grief to the wrong people However, the story fell flat quickly and never picked up the steam it started out with.

There is sexual content in the love letters that may be offensive to some readers.

This may be a book that you would enjoy, but it just wasn't one for me.

Thank you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 4:01 PM PDT

10k Yellow Gold Diamond Bee Pendant Necklace (1/10cttw, I-J Color, I2-I3 Clarity), 16.5"
Price: $175.13

5.0 out of 5 stars BEE-U-TI-FUL !!!, May 9, 2015
10K YELLOW GOLD DIAMOND BEE NECKLACE

Such a gorgeous and delicate necklace. Believe me when I tell you that the picture does this no justice -- it is beautiful and well crafted! There are approximately sixty six stones, single cut diamonds. The delicate yet sturdy chain is approximately sixteen inches and clasps on either side of the bee so it will hang straight and perfect around your neck. There is a spring ring clasp which makes putting on the necklace super easy.

The bee is so beautiful and looks lovely and rich. I love how the light catches all of the diamonds and just adds so much sparkle and shine while wearing. I prefer my necklaces to hang a little lower so I will have to purchase some chain extenders. Most of my necklace chains are about eighteen inches long. Maybe I have a fat neck, but this necklace wears more like a choker on me. However, that's just me -- I prefer my necklaces longer.

I can highly recommend this necklace for yourself or as a gift for that someone special in your life. I know I will be wearing this bee pendant necklace often!

Thank you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2015 7:17 AM PDT

Yuban Coffee, Original 31 Ounce Package, 31-Ounce
Yuban Coffee, Original 31 Ounce Package, 31-Ounce
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST COFFEE OUT THERE, May 3, 2015
YUBAN COFFEE

I am a coffee lover. I MUST have my coffee daily or look out! Not only does it get my motor running at 4:30AM, but it just tastes darn good.

I haven't ever had YUBAN before but it was right next to another brand at the store and the distinctive brown coffee container somehow just caught my eye. It was also on sale! The original price isn't bad at all and is very affordable, but the sale price was enough to get me to put one in my cart. When I brewed my first pot I was pleasantly surprised! YUBAN is so rich, vibrant, tasty. It is not bitter, is not weak, is not over-bearing. YUBAN is just simply delicious. The coffee brews up a nice dark chocolate/coffee color. The aroma is fantastic. The taste is so smooth, rich, and satisfying. I drink my coffee straight -- no milk, creamer, or sugar. YUBAN tastes wonderful.

In the afternoon or early evening I will sometimes add a dollop of flavored coffee creamer, either French Vanilla or White Chocolate Mocha. Both honeymoon well with YUBAN and yet the flavored creamer doesn't hide the flavor of the YUBAN.

If you haven't ever tried YUBAN, you should. I know YUBAN will be my personal ONE AND ONLY coffee from this day forward.

LIMITED EDITION THOMAS' Banana Bread Bagels - 6 COUNT PACKAGE
LIMITED EDITION THOMAS' Banana Bread Bagels - 6 COUNT PACKAGE
Offered by Adams Pharmacy
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars DELICIOUS!, May 3, 2015
THOMAS BANANA BREAD BAGELS

Just got back from grocery shopping. Was in the bread aisle and saw THOMAS BANANA BREAD BAGELS. I thought why not try these? I purchased one package and when I got home I got one out, added some butter, and took a tentative first bite.

OH MY GOD!

These bagels are so darn good! They taste like homemade banana bread but without the time involved. I ate this one cold -- the next one I plan on heating up in the toaster and then adding some butter so it melts. I am sure that will be delicious as well. The taste is so authentically banana -- they are naturally and artificially flavored.

One package contains six pre-sliced large bagels. Nutrition facts are as follow --

Calories - 260
Potassium - 110mg
Carbs - 52g
Sugars - 9g
Protein - 8g

These things are so good I wish I had purchased two packages. The only bad thing about these bagels is the fact this is a LIMITED EDITION bagel. Bummer.

If you enjoy homemade banana bread and bagels, this is a winning combination. Add a mug of hot coffee and/or tea or an icy cold glass of milk and you are in for a great snack or breakfast. These banana bagels are the high quality product and fantastic taste you have come to know and expect from THOMAS. Enjoy!

Pam
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2015 6:42 AM PDT

Tri-Lynx 00026W White 12-LED Light with Motion and Dusk/Dawn Sensor
Tri-Lynx 00026W White 12-LED Light with Motion and Dusk/Dawn Sensor
Price: $14.19
3 used & new from $13.94

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR OUR BATHROOM, May 3, 2015
TRI-LYNX 00026W WHITE 12-LED LIGHT WITH MOTION

This is a handy and portable bright light source for anywhere. We put ours in our upstairs main bathroom. The way our bathroom is laid out, there is a corner you jig-jag around to get to the potty. It is a dark corner even with a night light on in the other part of the bathroom. My husband mounted this light on our clothes shute door [which we don't use] and now, once your turn that corner, there is instant light! We love it!

As mentioned, this is great in the bath as a night light that comes on instantly in the dark when you walk in. You could use this light in a closet, garage, shed, or anywhere you don't have a light and don't want to run wiring.

This operates on three AA batteries which are included. There is a wall bracket or four strong magnets to place the light where you need it. You can simply sit in on any flat surface and it is good to go. There is a manual on/off switch to use as a flashlight too! The 12 LED lights are plenty bright and the uses for this are endless. This would also be a great little gift.

Highly recommended for anywhere you need light!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2015 1:55 PM PDT

Brinks Home Security Push Pull Rotate Door Locks 23054-105 Glenshaw Passage Lever, Polished Brass
Price: $26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD CONCEPT - NOT ALWAYS A GOOD FIT, May 2, 2015
BRINKS HOME SECURITY PUSH PULL ROTATE DOOR LOCK

This door lock has a great concept -- you can open your door the old-fashioned way simply by turning the knob or pulling on the knob -- but with this lock you can simply open the door by pushing on it with your elbow, knee, or hip.

This is an easy to operate interior door lockset that will come in handy when you have your hands full. It would also be helpful for someone who is handicapped in anyway who may have trouble turning a door knob. However, you may want to think twice about using this where a young child has access to a door leading to an area like the basement.

Installation is about a twenty minute job. A standard 2 1/8" hole is required in the door. Anything less than that like older doors that we have and this set won't fit without enlarging the hole. This was not a fun job and made a huge mess. Once you enlarge the hole the rest of the installation is pretty basic. This has a latch mechanism for 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" backset and works on left or right hand doors. The mortise on the door edge will probably not match the old one. I found it to be a bit smaller and the screw holes don't line up.

New hardware is included for the door jam latch and this may or may not require some modification for a tight closure. This is a good concept for the right application but perhaps better installed in a new door for a clean and professional job. This did not work well on the 50 year old doors that we have in our home.

Thanks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2015 6:20 AM PDT

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins
Price: $13.47
199 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars AND I HAVE TO GET UP EARLY TOMORROW MORNING TO CATCH THE TRAIN ~~~, April 28, 2015
This review is from: The Girl on the Train (Hardcover)
THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN

Tension - strain - stress - anxiety - nervousness - edginess -- All words I would use to describe how I was feeling while reading THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN. Right from the start, readers are sucked into a vortex of lies, deceits, inventions. I loved this book.

Rachel is alone and lonely, living a life filled with maybes and want-to. She is a heavy drinker, so much so that she blacks out, looses time, jobs, friends. She is pretty much by herself and this makes her drink even more. What's worse, she is a sloppy drunk. Rachel commutes daily on the train and sees the same old same old landscape every day. However, one particular dwelling fascinates her -- she sees a couple out on their deck and starts to fantasize about them and how perfect their life must be. So much unlike her messed up self.

One day she sees something horrible and is flung head first into a drastic and terrifying situation. Rachel gets herself so involved in this plight that her own life becomes tangled up with others. After seeing what she sees, Rachel feels she must get involved in this situation and all hell breaks loose. She is, however, a very unreliable witness, but Rachel keeps herself involved and her life changes forever.

This book is told in alternating voices -- those of Rachel, Megan, and Anna. These three women's lives become so snarled up together, even before they realize they have connections. What connections do these three girls have? Are lives changed, and if so, are they changed for the better? Why is Rachel so concerned about people she doesn't even know?

The story and plot are so twisted and full of surprises and shocks that I found myself constantly trying to figure out what would happen next, who was responsible for what, and who did what to who and why -- finally, I just read and let the book take me where it was headed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the suspense, the characters, the plot. Just when you think you have everything figured out, you find out you don't.

Some have compared this book to GONE GIRL but it's totally different. Yes, there are surprises, suspense, and mystery, but the writing style of the two authors are very different. The two books fall into the same genre and both are great reads.

If you love a good book that has a great ride in store for you, one that makes you want to stop the world so you can just read, one that leaves you guessing and turning pages into the wee hours of the morning, then THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN is a book for you. I happily highly recommend this one. I will find it hard to pick my next reading adventure until I come down from this high obtained on this reading journey.

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2015 1:58 AM PDT