Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Pamela A. Poddany > Reviews

Browse

Pamela A. Poddany's Profile

Customer Reviews: 783

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pamela A. Poddany "Book Freak!" RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Clara Clark Premier 1800 Collection Camouflage Printed Design Bed Sheet Set, Queen, Blue
Price: $40.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but with one small flaw --, May 21, 2016
CLARA CLARK PREMIER 1800 COLLECTION CAMOUFLAGE QUEEN SIZED SHEETS

As sheets go, these are nice and soft. Made of brushed microfiber, they washed up well and are crisp and attractive. Our sheets are the blue/gray camo and our grand babies love the design.

These sheets are wrinkle free with nice deep pockets. They fit our queen size mattress very well. There was no struggle putting the bottom fitted sheet on our mattress. The fitted sheet has elastic fitted corners making them fit snug and tight. The pillow cases are large enough to fit our big fluffy pillows. Their care is easy and simple - machine wash in cold water and tumble dry on low.

The flat sheet is 90"x102" giving you plenty of 'give' room. The fitted bottom sheet is 60"x80" and as stated fits our mattress super good. The two pillowcases are 20"x30" giving you plenty of room for your big overstuffed pillows. The sheets are soft and I love the silky feeling.

The only problem with these sheets - after I washed them the bottom sheet had a faded white line that starts at the top of the sheet and continues all the way down. This was NOT there before I washed them and I washed them according to the directions, using absolutely no bleach. I did not iron them nor dry-clean them. For us, this is not a problem, but would be a problem if these were purchased as a gift. I noticed another reviewer also had this problem.

All in all, a nice sheet set for us.

At the Edge of the Orchard
At the Edge of the Orchard
by Tracy Chevalier
Price: $18.39
101 used & new from $11.78

3.0 out of 5 stars HISTORY AND APPLES, May 16, 2016
AT THE EDGE OF THE ORCHARD

We meet the Goodenough family who have traveled from the East and have settled in the Black Swamp area of northwest Ohio. Their tale is a bitter one; full of resentment, hate, death, and scrapping to make a living out of the unforgiving land in Ohio.

Parents James and Sadie tell their tale; he grows apples for a living and absolutely loves nature and the trees. He is a no-nonsense type of a man who tries to do what is right and best for his family. He is not very sociable; apples are his main interest. While a sturdy character, I found him a bit dull but yet a good man.

Sadie on the other hand -- what a character. When she tells her tale she leaves nothing to the imagination. She is cruel, hard, mean, and nasty to all, including her entire brood of children. Not too many people like Sadie and if you read this book you will see why. Me? I found her character more than interesting and even though she is hard and cruel, she is a great character.

The book flip-flops between times in Ohio and times when Robert, one of the Goodenough sons, leaves home and heads West. He relays his many hardships and stories along the way, and his eventual love of trees. Robert's tale, while interesting, was super predictable.

I will say that Chevalier certainly did her homework regarding apples and other types of trees and this was interesting to a point. My favorite parts of the book were when James and Sadie told their stories and what happened to them living in Ohio. This was super exciting and even shocking at times. Good reading.

When reading the parts about Robert traveling and his adventures, the book lost most of its steam and appeal for me. While it is a good read, it was not the best for me.

If you enjoy visiting history and learning about how people lived in early 1800's, this is the book for you. I was very interested in the sections about the Black Swamp since I live in Toledo and the book took place here and around the area. Very interesting.

Thank you.

Jane Steele
Jane Steele
by Lyndsay Faye
Price: $18.17
89 used & new from $10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars BUT I WILL BE A BEAUTIFUL DISASTER, May 7, 2016
This review is from: Jane Steele (Hardcover)
JANE STEELE

I love it when the first sentence of a book grabs me hard and won't let go --

"Of all my many murders, committed for love and for better reasons, the first was the most important."

Narrated by a young Jane Steele, she pours out her heart to you, her dear Reader. Jane has a life that is not so good -- she becomes orphaned and alone, looses what is rightfully hers, is sent away to a horrible school for girls, ends up in London writing 'last confessions' of doomed criminals. She becomes a master of deception, a skilled liar, a faithful friend, a murderess. She is a wonderful character who will charm her way into your heart with her adventures and misadventures.

If you enjoy a great read that takes you by the hand and heart and has you turning pages late into the night, this is the book for you.

This book was gripping. It is romance, adventure, Victorian, funny, witty, fast-paced, full of complex and fleshed out characters. It is full of mayhem, murder, love, trusting, comical and endearing, proper and totally improper. It is unlike any other books I have read. I highly recommend it to all, especially lovers of JANE EYRE.

My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel
My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel
by Elizabeth Strout
Price: $15.91
173 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars SO MUCH OF LIFE SEEMS SPECULATION, April 16, 2016
MY NAME IS LUCY BARTON

Elizabeth Strout writes beautifully and always gets into the heart and soul of her characters and of her readers. She is a wise and brilliant writer who makes one think.

MY NAME IS LUCY BARTON is so well done. We meet Lucy who is in the hospital recovering from an illness. Her mother comes from out-of-town to visit. Lucy and her mother have a rough and complex relationship and it is very easy to see why. Lucy was brought up in an abusive and unloving home and is still reaching out to her mother. The entire book centers around Lucy trying to get over her devastating childhood and to carry on with her current life -- which she manages to do - or so it seems.

Some of Lucy's past is revealed but there is still a tension and a tease about what really happened during her childhood. Mother and daughter recollect and reminisce about the past and the people from their earlier times together. Some of the memories Lucy has are horrible and follow her through her adult life.

I found Lucy loving, warm, caring, a good mother, and a person who truly tried to be a just plain good. Lucy's mother was cold, odd, strange, and held back any affection she may or may not have felt for her children. Yet, we never fully visit Lucy's mother's life to see why and how she is like this.

Strout has written these two characters so brightly and strongly. They are so human they practically jump off the pages. Mother and daughter spend plenty of time together while Lucy is in the hospital. Do they reconcile and declare their love and support for each other? Is their relationship damaged beyond repair? Will Lucy's life suffer due to her past and her horrible life as a child? Read this excellent book and find out. Not much happens but yet, plenty happens. There is not a great deal of action, yet this book explodes as will your emotions. Such a moving read.

I highly recommend this book.

The Motel Life: A Novel
The Motel Life: A Novel
by Willy Vlautin
Price: $12.77
114 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars BECAUSE HOPE, IT'S BETTER THAN HAVING NOTHING AT ALL, April 10, 2016
MOTEL LIFE

Willy Vlautin can write. And write. And win awards. And write. And grab you by your heart and soul and suck you into his books so well that you become a part of them. He can write and bring you to tears. He is full of compassion, emotion, takes characters who are so downtrodden there is no way up for them -- yet, yet, he brings so much hope into his writing. I LOVE Vlautin.

We meet the Flannigan brothers, Frank and Jerry Lee. They are two young men who are down on their luck, can't hold jobs, love to drink, and have a talent for attracting trouble. If it weren't for bad luck they would have no luck at all. They are basically good people who just can't catch a break.

On the back cover we read -- "I knew then, that morning, when I saw the kid's frozen arms in the back of the car that bad luck had found my brother and me. And us, we took the bad luck and strapped it around our feet like concrete. We did the worst imaginable thing you could do. We ran away."

Thus begins the biggest little adventure you will read. Brothers Jerry Lee and Frank run from their problems/troubles and fall in to even more complex problems. Vlautin takes you along for the ride; meeting down to earth characters you will remember for a long time, helping others even though they themselves need help, and giving readers a front seat tour of Reno.

The story is simple and the reading is divine. Vlautin really knows how to get inside his characters heads and makes you feel as if you know them also. The story line is fast paced and full of surprises along the way. The events that take place are believable and entertaining. I just read the last word of this book and am missing Frank and Jerry Lee already; they have been a big part of my life for the past few days.

This is a book I will recommend to all and remember forever. Vlautin is like that -- he makes you remember what he has written. I have also read LEAN ON PETE, THE FREE, and now MOTEL LIFE. I only have NORTHLINE left to read. I am praying Vlautin releases a new book soon.

At the end of this book is a section about the author, a section called A TOUR OF THE FLANNIGAN BROTHERS' RENO, and a nice write up regarding the illustrator, Nate Beaty. Willy Vlautin is also a song writer and a major member of the band RICHMOND FONTAINE. There are song lyrics included also.

I have to say that Willy Vlautin is easily one of my favorite authors and I recommend his work to all. His writing is passionate, hard, kind, rough, wonderful, and sad. Roll all of that together and you are going to agree -- he is one of the best around.

South Main Hardware 620100 Pressure Washer Spray Tips, 5-Pack
South Main Hardware 620100 Pressure Washer Spray Tips, 5-Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT FOR OUR PRESSURE WASHER, April 10, 2016
SPRAY NOZZLES

These are perfect for my new RYOBI electric power washer. My power washer only came with a 15 degree nozzle, turbo nozzle, and one for applying soap. Not a lot of choice there and they are 100% plastic.

These SOUTH MAIN HARDWARE nozzles give me a great choice and variety of patterns. You can use a very sharp aggressive spray pattern or go all the way to a wide and softer pattern. The big bonus here is they have brass connections, which with some care, should last forever. With the totally plastic nozzles my concern was they would surely wear out. These nozzles are the answer to my prayers.

Each nozzle is marked faintly on the plastic with the degree for use. It is very difficult to read, but each nozzle is a different color to identify them in another manner. Not much more to tell, but these are pretty nicely made and not very expensive.

The Night Watch
The Night Watch
by Sarah Waters
Price: $10.00
239 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars WE NEVER SEEM TO LOVE THE PEOPLE WE OUGHT TO, April 1, 2016
This review is from: The Night Watch (Paperback)
THE NIGHT WATCH

I absolutely loved this book! Sarah Waters is a genius writer, that's for sure. She grabs you by your heart and soul, pulls you in, and doesn't let go of that hard grip for one second. I could not turn the pages quickly enough to satisfy my wonderment and curiosity of what would happen next. The suspense if non-stop and constant.

Waters tells the story of many complex, interesting, down-to-earth characters flawlessly. Based in England during WWII, these characters are all twined together into one huge intricate well woven web. They all are a part of each others lives whether they realize it or not. The historical facts are astounding and mammoth; Waters certainly did her homework regarding the 1940's era in England.

She writes so well and her words are like butter. When she describes characters in the midst of an air strike you can almost hear the bombing screaming down to Earth, see the dust and fires, feel the emotions the characters are experiencing. Her story telling is exciting, mature, and realistic.

Each character is wonderful, fleshed-out, and the best part? They are flawed human beings, just like you and me. They are men and women trying to make sense of a world gone mad in England during the war -- surviving the constant bombings, serving their country, loving their families, hating their jobs, falling into relationships that are either doomed or meant to be.

Waters tells the story backwards which I found thrilling. When I first started the book I thought perhaps I had missed something, only to figure out that that part of the story had not yet been revealed. This was a wonderful way to tell this story; it was not confusing and it did not weaken the story line -- it was a fantastic way to tell the tale.

If you love historical fiction, super fleshed-out almost human characters, and a story line that will keep you totally in the dark and guessing, this is the book for you. Sarah Waters lives in England and is the winner of many well-deserved awards. Her other works include THE PAYING GUESTS, TIPPING THE VELVET, AFFINITY, FINGERSMITH. Check her out. You will be glad that you did.

World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth Book 2)
World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORICAL FICTION AT ITS BEST!!!!, March 26, 2016
WORLD WITHOUT END

Having read THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH when it debuted in 1989, this sequel was worth the wait. However, WORLD WITHOUT END is easily a stand-alone novel. If you haven't enjoyed PILLARS though, you should treat yourself!

Since this review is number 2,688 there is no need to rehash the story line. I will say this book is an epic bad-boy weighing in at 1,014 pages. You will read late into the night to find out what happens next to the characters. Ken Follett certainly did his history homework. You will be transported back to the 1300's in England where life is hard and uncertain, death lurks around every corner, disease and superstitions run rampant, and the characters are fleshed-out, down-to-earth, and very, very real.

I loved the historical facts blended with fiction. I loved the characters and how deeply Follett dives into their hearts and souls. I loved the story line and how fast-paced and interesting it constantly was. I believe I learned more about this time in our world than I ever did in school.

If you love history, if you love England, if you just love an epic tale that is constantly moving and grooving, this is the book for you. Ken Follett is a favorite author of mine and he always delivers. Every one of his books has been a winner and WORLD WITHOUT END is no exception.

Jergens Original Lotion, Cherry Almond, 32 Ounce
Jergens Original Lotion, Cherry Almond, 32 Ounce
Price: $7.24
10 used & new from $7.24

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, March 26, 2016
JERGENS ORIGINAL LOTION -- CHERRY ALMOND

When I was a little girl many, many years ago, this lotion was a staple in our home. After decades of using other brands of lotions, I was surprised and happy to realize this was still available and stared using JERGENS again.

Not only does this lotion moisturize and soften your skin, it still has that wonderful original cherry almond scent. When we were kids we thought of this smell as chocolate covered cherry candies -- the scent alone is enough to purchase this but the overall effect of using this lotion is the best. My skin feels soft and silky and the lotion helps dry skin. It is also dermatologist tested.

I had been purchasing this lotion from a discount store known nationally for their great low prices -- and they are. I have been buying the 28.5 ounce for almost $7 which I felt was a fair and decent price. But through AMAZON I was able to purchase 32 ounce size for a few cents more. What a deal.

JERGENS ORIGINAL SCENT lotion is the greatest. I always will use this not only benefiting from the experience on my skin but also that wonderful cherry almond essence. A great bang for your buck !

Acer Chromebox CXI2-4GKM Desktop with Keyboard and Mouse
Acer Chromebox CXI2-4GKM Desktop with Keyboard and Mouse
Price: $199.99
20 used & new from $169.00

5.0 out of 5 stars IT IS EVERYTHING I NEED, March 25, 2016
ACER CHROMEBOX CX12-4GKM DESKTOP

Chromeboxes are the best home computer for basic uses. This system comes with a USB keyboard and a mouse. You will need to purchase a monitor and speakers thus doubling the cost in most cases. The box has four USB ports, one HDMI port, and one display port. 4GB Ram is fine and you may wish to get a 2GB Ram and save a few dollars.

If you are use to computing on a typical WINDOWS computer you will be shocked how fast this thing is! It boots up in about eight seconds and there is very little waiting time as it loads a site or page. Since virus problems are written for Microsoft Windows this unit will be virus free.

For the casual user there is nothing better for the money. I am hooked on these small Chromeboxes. I will buy nothing else in the future for my home use. The box is about six inches square and two inches thick and is completely silent. Set up with your home WI-FI takes about fifteen minutes for everything.

The best bang for your buck and for casual and fun computing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2016 6:20 AM PDT