Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for Pamela A. Poddany > Reviews

Browse

Pamela A. Poddany's Profile

Customer Reviews: 780

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pamela A. Poddany "Book Freak!" RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $15.60
159 used & new from $9.23

5.0 out of 5 stars SO MUCH OF LIFE SEEMS SPECULATION, April 16, 2016
MY NAME IS LUCY BARTON

Elizabeth Strout writes beautifully and always gets into the heart and soul of her characters and of her readers. She is a wise and brilliant writer who makes one think.

MY NAME IS LUCY BARTON is so well done. We meet Lucy who is in the hospital recovering from an illness. Her mother comes from out-of-town to visit. Lucy and her mother have a rough and complex relationship and it is very easy to see why. Lucy was brought up in an abusive and unloving home and is still reaching out to her mother. The entire book centers around Lucy trying to get over her devastating childhood and to carry on with her current life -- which she manages to do - or so it seems.

Some of Lucy's past is revealed but there is still a tension and a tease about what really happened during her childhood. Mother and daughter recollect and reminisce about the past and the people from their earlier times together. Some of the memories Lucy has are horrible and follow her through her adult life.

I found Lucy loving, warm, caring, a good mother, and a person who truly tried to be a just plain good. Lucy's mother was cold, odd, strange, and held back any affection she may or may not have felt for her children. Yet, we never fully visit Lucy's mother's life to see why and how she is like this.

Strout has written these two characters so brightly and strongly. They are so human they practically jump off the pages. Mother and daughter spend plenty of time together while Lucy is in the hospital. Do they reconcile and declare their love and support for each other? Is their relationship damaged beyond repair? Will Lucy's life suffer due to her past and her horrible life as a child? Read this excellent book and find out. Not much happens but yet, plenty happens. There is not a great deal of action, yet this book explodes as will your emotions. Such a moving read.

I highly recommend this book.

The Motel Life: A Novel
The Motel Life: A Novel
by Willy Vlautin
Price: $13.16
111 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars BECAUSE HOPE, IT'S BETTER THAN HAVING NOTHING AT ALL, April 10, 2016
MOTEL LIFE

Willy Vlautin can write. And write. And win awards. And write. And grab you by your heart and soul and suck you into his books so well that you become a part of them. He can write and bring you to tears. He is full of compassion, emotion, takes characters who are so downtrodden there is no way up for them -- yet, yet, he brings so much hope into his writing. I LOVE Vlautin.

We meet the Flannigan brothers, Frank and Jerry Lee. They are two young men who are down on their luck, can't hold jobs, love to drink, and have a talent for attracting trouble. If it weren't for bad luck they would have no luck at all. They are basically good people who just can't catch a break.

On the back cover we read -- "I knew then, that morning, when I saw the kid's frozen arms in the back of the car that bad luck had found my brother and me. And us, we took the bad luck and strapped it around our feet like concrete. We did the worst imaginable thing you could do. We ran away."

Thus begins the biggest little adventure you will read. Brothers Jerry Lee and Frank run from their problems/troubles and fall in to even more complex problems. Vlautin takes you along for the ride; meeting down to earth characters you will remember for a long time, helping others even though they themselves need help, and giving readers a front seat tour of Reno.

The story is simple and the reading is divine. Vlautin really knows how to get inside his characters heads and makes you feel as if you know them also. The story line is fast paced and full of surprises along the way. The events that take place are believable and entertaining. I just read the last word of this book and am missing Frank and Jerry Lee already; they have been a big part of my life for the past few days.

This is a book I will recommend to all and remember forever. Vlautin is like that -- he makes you remember what he has written. I have also read LEAN ON PETE, THE FREE, and now MOTEL LIFE. I only have NORTHLINE left to read. I am praying Vlautin releases a new book soon.

At the end of this book is a section about the author, a section called A TOUR OF THE FLANNIGAN BROTHERS' RENO, and a nice write up regarding the illustrator, Nate Beaty. Willy Vlautin is also a song writer and a major member of the band RICHMOND FONTAINE. There are song lyrics included also.

I have to say that Willy Vlautin is easily one of my favorite authors and I recommend his work to all. His writing is passionate, hard, kind, rough, wonderful, and sad. Roll all of that together and you are going to agree -- he is one of the best around.

South Main Hardware 620100 Pressure Washer Spray Tips, 5-Pack
South Main Hardware 620100 Pressure Washer Spray Tips, 5-Pack
Price: $19.06

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT FOR OUR PRESSURE WASHER, April 10, 2016
SPRAY NOZZLES

These are perfect for my new RYOBI electric power washer. My power washer only came with a 15 degree nozzle, turbo nozzle, and one for applying soap. Not a lot of choice there and they are 100% plastic.

These SOUTH MAIN HARDWARE nozzles give me a great choice and variety of patterns. You can use a very sharp aggressive spray pattern or go all the way to a wide and softer pattern. The big bonus here is they have brass connections, which with some care, should last forever. With the totally plastic nozzles my concern was they would surely wear out. These nozzles are the answer to my prayers.

Each nozzle is marked faintly on the plastic with the degree for use. It is very difficult to read, but each nozzle is a different color to identify them in another manner. Not much more to tell, but these are pretty nicely made and not very expensive.

The Night Watch
The Night Watch
by Sarah Waters
Price: $10.00
226 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars WE NEVER SEEM TO LOVE THE PEOPLE WE OUGHT TO, April 1, 2016
This review is from: The Night Watch (Paperback)
THE NIGHT WATCH

I absolutely loved this book! Sarah Waters is a genius writer, that's for sure. She grabs you by your heart and soul, pulls you in, and doesn't let go of that hard grip for one second. I could not turn the pages quickly enough to satisfy my wonderment and curiosity of what would happen next. The suspense if non-stop and constant.

Waters tells the story of many complex, interesting, down-to-earth characters flawlessly. Based in England during WWII, these characters are all twined together into one huge intricate well woven web. They all are a part of each others lives whether they realize it or not. The historical facts are astounding and mammoth; Waters certainly did her homework regarding the 1940's era in England.

She writes so well and her words are like butter. When she describes characters in the midst of an air strike you can almost hear the bombing screaming down to Earth, see the dust and fires, feel the emotions the characters are experiencing. Her story telling is exciting, mature, and realistic.

Each character is wonderful, fleshed-out, and the best part? They are flawed human beings, just like you and me. They are men and women trying to make sense of a world gone mad in England during the war -- surviving the constant bombings, serving their country, loving their families, hating their jobs, falling into relationships that are either doomed or meant to be.

Waters tells the story backwards which I found thrilling. When I first started the book I thought perhaps I had missed something, only to figure out that that part of the story had not yet been revealed. This was a wonderful way to tell this story; it was not confusing and it did not weaken the story line -- it was a fantastic way to tell the tale.

If you love historical fiction, super fleshed-out almost human characters, and a story line that will keep you totally in the dark and guessing, this is the book for you. Sarah Waters lives in England and is the winner of many well-deserved awards. Her other works include THE PAYING GUESTS, TIPPING THE VELVET, AFFINITY, FINGERSMITH. Check her out. You will be glad that you did.

World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth Book 2)
World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORICAL FICTION AT ITS BEST!!!!, March 26, 2016
WORLD WITHOUT END

Having read THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH when it debuted in 1989, this sequel was worth the wait. However, WORLD WITHOUT END is easily a stand-alone novel. If you haven't enjoyed PILLARS though, you should treat yourself!

Since this review is number 2,688 there is no need to rehash the story line. I will say this book is an epic bad-boy weighing in at 1,014 pages. You will read late into the night to find out what happens next to the characters. Ken Follett certainly did his history homework. You will be transported back to the 1300's in England where life is hard and uncertain, death lurks around every corner, disease and superstitions run rampant, and the characters are fleshed-out, down-to-earth, and very, very real.

I loved the historical facts blended with fiction. I loved the characters and how deeply Follett dives into their hearts and souls. I loved the story line and how fast-paced and interesting it constantly was. I believe I learned more about this time in our world than I ever did in school.

If you love history, if you love England, if you just love an epic tale that is constantly moving and grooving, this is the book for you. Ken Follett is a favorite author of mine and he always delivers. Every one of his books has been a winner and WORLD WITHOUT END is no exception.

Jergens Original Lotion, Cherry Almond, 32 Ounce
Jergens Original Lotion, Cherry Almond, 32 Ounce
Price: $7.24
8 used & new from $7.24

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, March 26, 2016
JERGENS ORIGINAL LOTION -- CHERRY ALMOND

When I was a little girl many, many years ago, this lotion was a staple in our home. After decades of using other brands of lotions, I was surprised and happy to realize this was still available and stared using JERGENS again.

Not only does this lotion moisturize and soften your skin, it still has that wonderful original cherry almond scent. When we were kids we thought of this smell as chocolate covered cherry candies -- the scent alone is enough to purchase this but the overall effect of using this lotion is the best. My skin feels soft and silky and the lotion helps dry skin. It is also dermatologist tested.

I had been purchasing this lotion from a discount store known nationally for their great low prices -- and they are. I have been buying the 28.5 ounce for almost $7 which I felt was a fair and decent price. But through AMAZON I was able to purchase 32 ounce size for a few cents more. What a deal.

JERGENS ORIGINAL SCENT lotion is the greatest. I always will use this not only benefiting from the experience on my skin but also that wonderful cherry almond essence. A great bang for your buck !

Acer Chromebox CXI2-4GKM Desktop with Keyboard and Mouse
Acer Chromebox CXI2-4GKM Desktop with Keyboard and Mouse
Price: $196.90
55 used & new from $196.90

5.0 out of 5 stars IT IS EVERYTHING I NEED, March 25, 2016
ACER CHROMEBOX CX12-4GKM DESKTOP

Chromeboxes are the best home computer for basic uses. This system comes with a USB keyboard and a mouse. You will need to purchase a monitor and speakers thus doubling the cost in most cases. The box has four USB ports, one HDMI port, and one display port. 4GB Ram is fine and you may wish to get a 2GB Ram and save a few dollars.

If you are use to computing on a typical WINDOWS computer you will be shocked how fast this thing is! It boots up in about eight seconds and there is very little waiting time as it loads a site or page. Since virus problems are written for Microsoft Windows this unit will be virus free.

For the casual user there is nothing better for the money. I am hooked on these small Chromeboxes. I will buy nothing else in the future for my home use. The box is about six inches square and two inches thick and is completely silent. Set up with your home WI-FI takes about fifteen minutes for everything.

The best bang for your buck and for casual and fun computing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2016 6:20 AM PDT

Red Kap Men's Zip-Front Hoodie, Bark Brown, X-Large
Red Kap Men's Zip-Front Hoodie, Bark Brown, X-Large
Price: $41.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!, March 25, 2016
RED KAP MEN'S ZIP FRONT HOODIE

Super heavy duty is the best way to describe this hoodie. My husband normally wears an extra large and this hoodie is true to size, plus a little extra room for wearing a heavy shirt underneath.

There is a great quilted lining for warmth that will hold up and not wear out in the neck area. Both shoulders and elbows are reinforced so they won't wear out during heavy use. The elbow reinforcing extends all the way down to the wrist area. There are good heavy drawstrings on the hood and a super good sturdy zipper. The zipper is such that you can zip it up easily wearing gloves. On the left side of the hoodie there is a hidden zippered pocket which is where my hubby keeps his phone.

This hoodie is certainly made for the working man yet smart looking enough for casual social wear. The color is called bark brown and is different -- in a good way. The color is almost a chocolate mocha brown, very nice and striking. This is one well engineered hoodie. The body of the hoodie is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. The lining is 60% cotton and 40% polyester. The hoodie itself is super soft and one of those that feels as if you have worn it forever; it is has that well loved feeling. Easy care too -- just toss in your washer and dryer.

RED KAP has been in business since 1923 and I can see why. This hoodie is great looking, well made, and made to last. We will certainly look into their clothing line and see what else we would love to own.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2016 6:12 AM PDT

BLACK+DECKER LSW321 20V Max Lithium POWERCOMMAND Power Boost Sweeper
BLACK+DECKER LSW321 20V Max Lithium POWERCOMMAND Power Boost Sweeper
Price: $87.00
15 used & new from $73.95

4.0 out of 5 stars 130 MPH CORDLESS SWEEPER, February 25, 2016
BLACK & DECKER BLOWER

This is a very light weight and light duty cordless blower. The battery is a 20 volt Lithium battery. A very basic charge is included. I have a Black & Decker 20 volt grass trimmer that has a much nicer charger. The run time on the charge is up to 25 minutes. A power boost button increases the power.

The blower has a simple on/off switch and no variable speed control. I would consider this very useful for dry and hard surface blowing such as cleaning up your sidewalks/patio after mowing your yard. Leaf or flower bed clean up would not work very well. It simply takes place of a broom, but that's great. The entire unit weighs less than four pounds and is very easy to assemble. This unit is made in China.

Cabochon Women's CABOCHON-16389-YG-24 Carlita Analog Display Quartz Gold Watch
Cabochon Women's CABOCHON-16389-YG-24 Carlita Analog Display Quartz Gold Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars ELEGANT, FUN, CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!, February 23, 2016
CABOCHON WOMEN'S GOLD WATCH

I like to wear a watch for the obvious reason -- to know what time it is! I also consider a watch to be a piece of jewelry and this watch is that and so much more. It is classy, elegant, chunky, and awesome. Big watches are THE thing right now and this watch fits that bill and so much more. This watch is incredibly stylish.

The watch has a quartz movement and comes with a two year AMAZON warranty. That warranty alone is a nice and comforting feature.

The heavy weight gold tone plated stainless case and bracelet are pure class. The tasteful and very different red dial with gold hands and Roman numerals is just beautiful. A mineral bezel, surrounded with white crystals, is such a subtle accent. There is also a small sixty second sub-dial on the bottom of the face which may be handy to have. The clasp is a snap type closure. I would really prefer the push button type clasp instead, but this should work.

A big, bold, beautiful, classy watch and/or piece of jewelry. I wore this out the other night -- I was wearing a red sweater with gold earrings, necklace, and this watch. I received many compliments on the watch and rightfully so. It's a dressy accessory for you and you deserve one!

Enjoy!!!