Profile for Pamela A. Poddany > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 565

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pamela A. Poddany "Book Freak!" RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Invention of Wings: A Novel
The Invention of Wings: A Novel
by Sue Monk Kidd
Price: $16.71
158 used & new from $10.12

4.0 out of 5 stars THE WORLD WAS A BASHED-IN PLACE AND ShE COULDN'T FIX IT, September 28, 2014
THE INVENTION OF WINGS

It took me two times to try and get into this book, but once I did, wow, I couldn't stop reading. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit -- but will! -- that I didn't realize this was a true historical novel based on the life of abolitionist/women's rights advocate Sarah Grimke and her sister Nina Grimke. Duh. Once I figured this 'startling' fact out, I enjoyed the book even more.

INVENTION OF WINGS is the story of Sarah and Nina Grimke told from their childhood till they are seniors. Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, Sarah and Nina are uncommonly close for sisters, They are raised with other siblings in a well-to-do family enjoying the benefits of high society in the early 1800's. Of course, as was the practice then, the Grimke family owns slaves. In fact, when Sarah turns eleven, she is 'given' Hetty - also known as Handful - as a gift. Sarah's entire being, heart, and soul, hates having Hetty as a slave and 'owning' her -- but the two young girls form a deep and loving friendship that spans decades.

Sue Monk Kidd did her homework and did it well. As you read this book, Kidd blends fiction and fact very smoothly, so smooth in fact that you will wonder what actually took place in history and what did not. The story is true and at times is brutal. Both Sarah and Handful bear sorrow, disappointments, losses, happiness, always trying to stick together and be there for each other.

The book is moving and shocking at times. The story of the treatment of slaves opens your eyes and you will applaud Sarah and Nina Grimke for their outspoken and courageous fight against the horrors of slavery. These two women helped shape and change American history and the lives of millions of people.

Their journey was hard, their battles vicious, their sacrifices many. Sarah and Nina didn't ever give up the fight. Get this book and read their stories, along with Handful's. I loved how Sarah and Handful each told the story in their alternating voices. The plot is true and interesting, the characters fleshed-out, the history coldblooded and fascinating.

If you are someone who enjoys historical fiction, people who made a difference in our world, and just a darn good read, this is a book you will truly delight in.

Thank you.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 3:51 PM PDT

Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US)
Garmin nüvi 52LM 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps (US)
Offered by 17th Street Photo
Price: Click here to see our price
134 used & new from $75.49

4.0 out of 5 stars MAKES TRAVEL STRESS FREE, September 25, 2014
GARMIN nuvi 52LM 5 INCH PORTABLE VEHICLE GPS WITH LIFETIME MAPS

We just received this the other day and are already putting it to work -- our thoughts are below:

Nice size -- five inch touch screen

Free lifetime map updates

Very clearly spoken directions that give you turn-by-turn info with plenty of notice before you need to turn. Very accurate

Posted speed limit is on screen along with your driving speed

All the basic settings you need with a history list for reference and a favorite list included

Searches for addresses and points of interest -- works very well

Suggest the bean bag style mount be purchased. Allows you to move the unit anywhere and keeps the unit secure. The suction cup mount would show that you may have a GPS in the glove box

No owners manual included which means you must download and print yourself -- COME ON GUYS!

All in all, a great basic GPS for a low price. This is all you really need! Just doesn't include a decent instruction manual. Is perfect for the low tech guy.

Thanks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 12:17 PM PDT

Hoover UH70905 Windtunnel 3-Pro Bagless Upright Vacuum
Hoover UH70905 Windtunnel 3-Pro Bagless Upright Vacuum
Price: $107.30
6 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars HOOVER FOR US FROM NOW ON, September 25, 2014
HOOVER UH70905 WINDTUNNEL 3-PRO BAGLESS UPRIGHT VACUUM

Hoover has been our vacuum of choice -- first as our second unit and now the primary source of vacuums since our expensive Dyson died.

This Hoover seems more effective then the Dyson was and actually easier to use. Our Dyson was the conventional non-ball ANIMAL one.

The brush off switch is nice moving to bare floors so dust and dirt is not scattered around.

The auto rewind is great because we both dislike bending down to wind the cord. On other vacuums the little cord clip is always in the wrong place and hard to rewind the cord manually. The twenty seven feet -- YES!!! -- twenty seven feet of cord is nice!

The canister is about as easy as it comes to remove and empties with a flip of a lever.

This vacuum has a nice sturdy washable filter that has a green/red indicator on the top that is easy to monitor. It is so easy to forget to clean your filter, this makes for a great reminder.

The five height settings are easy to change and cover all of our different floor coverings from bare floors, to tiled floors, to many different types of carpet.

The top of the canister has a great handle that you can use to carry the unit up stairs. Since we live in a four level home, this is an awesome feature. It is in a nice spot to make this less awkward for young sixty year olds.

The hose reaches 12 feet and is easy to use, with good basic tools on board. Our Dyson tools were always falling off and difficult to clip on properly.

As a long time subscriber to CONSUMER REPORTS magazine it is easy to see why the HOOVER WINDTUNNEL vacuum is ranked so high in comparison to vacuums priced much higher.

We are sold on this HOOVER WINDTUNNEL and the great technology. It makes the not so fun job of vacuuming a lot easier. We have four floors in our home, three Greyhounds, friends, family, grand babies. Our vacuums -- all HOOVER -- get a work out and are top quality. This vacuum comes highly recommended.

Pam
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 12:19 PM PDT

OXO Good Grips Mini Santoku Knife
OXO Good Grips Mini Santoku Knife
Price: $8.20
14 used & new from $6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars SHARP! COMFY! AWESOME!, September 24, 2014
OXO GOOD GRIPS MINI SANTOKU KNIFE

I love my new knife! I love how it feels in my hand and how convenient it is to use. This knife has a soft and comfortable grip handle which feels very secure while in use. The shape of the blade is different and made to work hard. I know I am going to be using this knife most of the time in kitchen prep work.

The first victim was a wonderful bright Kiku apple. The knife easily sliced right through the apple and made neat chunky bite sized pieces for me. I just don't like to bite right into an apple, I always cut them into slices or bite sized pieces. This was done with tremendous ease and little or no effort.

My husband used the knife to slice a tomato into very thin slices that you would use on a sandwich. They were almost paper thin -- he experimented and sliced the tomato into varying sizes all with absolutely no problem. We then diced up an onion quickly, efficiently, no muss or fuss! The knife didn't stop the usual tearing of our eyes, but we got the onion diced up faster than usual.

This knife is quickly becoming my favorite kitchen utensil. I just know I am going to be using it constantly for various veggies and fruits. Be careful -- the blade is SHARP and the end is pointed.

This knife is small but mighty. I am so glad I decided to get it and check it out. I look forward to many years of enjoying this utensil. You simply cannot go wrong with any OXO product.

Get this knife for yourself and as gifts for family and friends. You will be one happy cook!

Pam
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 5:58 AM PDT

We Are Not Ourselves: A Novel
We Are Not Ourselves: A Novel
by Matthew Thomas
Price: $16.80
56 used & new from $16.20

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T EVER LOVE ANYONE -- ALL YOU'LL DO IS BREAK YOUR OWN HEART, September 20, 2014
WE ARE NOT OURSELVES

This book just called out to me and I am so glad I read it. It will be one of my top ten picks for the year 2014. Author Matthew Thomas has all the makings of a major career in his future -- it was hard for me to believe this was his very first endeavor. What a talent.

We meet a young Eileen Tumulty living in Queens, New York, in the early 1940's. Her parents are hard drinking Irish folks. Eileen is a very strong woman who knows exactly what she wants out of life and she grows up quickly and hard, but has her dreams. She wants nothing more than a good life with a good man. Enter into her life Ed Leary.

As Eileen and Ed move through their time together, it is apparent they both desire and want for different things from both their life and marriage. While Ed seems satisfied with the simple life, Eileen wants for more and better things. As the years pass, do they both get what they want out of life? Are there prices they have to pay to achieve happiness?

This is a wallop of a novel, packed with every human emotion one can think of and most that we have all experienced, good and bad. Thomas writes with grit and from his heart, there were many times his words and the actions of his characters brought me to tears. This is a moving book, filled with real and fleshed-out characters, true to life situations, and wonderful prose.

To say too much about this book and the plot would give away some surprises that are in store for readers. I will say this is a very well written novel, hitting on human desires, wants, needs, love, family, friends, and life wrapped up in a neat package. There are also issues presented that many folks have had to deal with, most of which truly opened this reader's eyes.

My only wish was that the author would have dwelled more on the early life of Eileen -- for this reader it seemed as if one page Eileen was a young woman living with her family and going to school and suddenly she was married, working, contemplating a family of her own. I am NOT complaining, the book moves along beautifully and Eileen's journey is well mapped out and always interesting.

This is an grand and dramatic read, one you should not miss. If you enjoy a gripping family saga, filled with excitement, tension, action, down to earth characters, and compassion, this is a book for you.

Don't miss this wonderful and appealing book -- you will wish it never ends.

Pam
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 1:45 PM PDT

AmeriLeather Rosalie Canvas/Leather Tote (Rainbow)
AmeriLeather Rosalie Canvas/Leather Tote (Rainbow)
Offered by eBags
Price: $69.99
4 used & new from $66.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS PURSE, September 20, 2014
AMERI LEATHER ROSALIE CANVAS/LEATHER TOTE

I have desired this tote since I laid my eyes on it months ago. I kept wanting to buy it for myself [and, yes, I deserve it!] but just never got around to purchasing. Last week was my birthday. My husband had purchased an Electra Townie bike for me and I was a very happy birthday girl. Then, on my actual birthday, he hands me a huge AMAZON box and inside -- waaaa-la! This purse! Wow.

This purse is beautiful, roomy, unique, sturdy, and just plain useful! I could practically put my kitchen sink inside the roomy interior. This baby measures 5x18.5x15.3 inches. It is made of leather and cotton. The purse has a strong zipper to keep it closed along with three different compartments inside for your cell and other essentials. There is also a nice change purse attached, which I unattached and have put inside the purse.

I swear, I have put all of my necessary must-haves inside -- my large wallet/checkbook, brush, make-up bag, coupon caddy, tissue packs, sunglasses case, change purse, cell phone, appointment book, and some other odds and ends. I could also put inside, along with this other stuff, a sweatshirt, a can of soda, the book I am currently reading, dog leashes, etc etc etc and STILL have plenty of room.

This purse carries nicely with the handles or with the adjustable and also removable shoulder strap. The colors are rich and vibrant in a colorful rainbow of red, purple, lilac, blue, cranberry, gray, gold, navy, brown, orange, yellow, pink, black, green, set against a beautiful beige background. The straps are also multi-colored, so no matter what color YOU are wearing, this purse just has to match something.!! There are also runners of color imbedded with gold colored brass buttons. Such a snazzy piece of work this is!

I am about to go out for the first time with this purse and am anxious to see if anyone says anything about my wonderful creation.

I am so glad that I received this purse/tote/handbag for my birthday! It is so pretty and perfect for carrying all of your necessary things. Plus, it certainly is bound to be a good source for conversation! It is certainly one of a kind and I am thrilled it is mine!

Thank you.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 4:53 AM PDT

Hoover UH70935 Windtunnel 3-Pro Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum
Hoover UH70935 Windtunnel 3-Pro Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum
Price: $129.99
6 used & new from $119.95

5.0 out of 5 stars BRING ON THE DIRT!!!, September 18, 2014
HOOVER UH70935 WINDTUNNEL 3-PRO PET BAGLESS UPRIGHT VACUUM

This is a beautiful piece of equipment! It was extremely well packaged for absolute protection when in shipment.

What a powerful vacuum. We have five grand babies and three Greyhounds, plus the usual fuss and mess from just daily living. There are five height settings which covers high carpet to bare floors. The beater bar leaves the carpet looking great and practically brand new. This vacuum is easy to empty and has a visual indicator for the HEPA filter. The pet hair attachments are nice and the stair turbo tool is more powerful than most. Since we live in a tri-level home with stairs everywhere, this feature really comes in handy.

My favorite feature is the auto rewind for the cord. This eliminates the pain of cord winding and is quick and easy.

The vacuum has a great feature -- you are able to turn off the vacuum brush when using the hose feature. This way, your carpet is not taking a beating in that one spot while you are using the hose. Good idea!

We like this Hoover better than our Dyson. This is our third Hoover Windtunnel and is the best one yet. This is a super great value for only $129. We would be willing to pay even more this for quality vacuum.

Pam
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2014 5:45 AM PDT

Bosch RBS006 1/4-Inch Shank Carbide-Tipped Multi-Purpose Router Bit Set, 6-Piece
Price: $91.20
2 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars BOSCH IS STILL THE BEST, September 18, 2014
BOSCH RBS006 1/4 INCH SHANK CARBIDE-TIPPED MULTI-PURPOSE ROUTER BIT SET

My husband likes to work with wood. He absolutely loves this router bit set. Here are the reasons why:

As expected, BOSCH is a high quality tool. It is not the cheapest, but one of the best. You get what you pay for.

There is a nice variety of bits for most basic router needs and use.

Carbide metal should provide long life, especially using soft woods.

Shear angle is such to provide a clean cut without a chattered look in the wood.

Sharp tools and good bearings make for a smooth flow. There is no stopping and having to make a second pass.

These bits come in a great case built for protection. The bits are labeled for their function. The case is made up of nice wood and heavy plastic.

This set puts my husband's cheaper Harbor Freight set to shame. You truly get what you pay for.

This bit set comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2014 5:46 AM PDT

OXO Good Grips Jar Spatula, White
OXO Good Grips Jar Spatula, White
Price: $6.99
11 used & new from $6.21

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT KITCHEN UTENSIL, September 15, 2014
OXO GOOD GRIPS JAR SPATULA

I love anything OXO. You can always depend on OXO to produce high quality products that will last a lifetime. When I was offered this spatula, I grabbed it up immediately.

What a great concept! I can think of a million uses for this spatula. Not only can you use it for non-stick cookware and bake ware, but it is ideal for getting that last little bit of peanut butter and/or mayo out of the bottom of those deep jars. Think of how easy it will be to loosen condensed cream soups out of the can with this product! This baby is 0.8x1.2x11.1 inches and will be so very useful. It is heat resistant up to 600 degrees! Wow! It is guaranteed not to discolor, warp, or melt. It is dishwasher safe too.

I think this will also come in handy for spreading peanut butter on bread, spreading thick and gooey frosting over brownies and cakes, and also using as a hand mixer for blending. I could go on and on, but won't.

The spatula head and neck are silicone covered for easy cleaning. I think this is a product that you simply cannot live without and it will get a work-out in any kitchen. I can hardly wait to go make dinner and put this product to use.

I am very happy with my new OXO spatula.

Pam
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 5:34 AM PDT

5.0 out of 5 stars OH MY GOD -- YUM!, September 11, 2014
This review is from: Cavicchioli Lambrusco Dolce 750ML
Cavicchioli Lambrusco Dolce 750ML

My husband brought me home a bottle of this wine. Where have I been? This stuff is the best!

Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs and decided to crack open the bottle! Hello! Half of a bottle later I am loving this stuff. Talk about smooth, mellow, and just the right sweetness. I could have drank the entire bottle had it not been a work night. I will probably finish it off tonight and then get me some more over the weekend.

This wine is so delicious. It is a pretty cranberry/purple/ruby red color. The flavor is divine and it is almost a religious experience drinking this beautiful wine.

Grab yourself a bottle or two -- or like me, get yourself a case. It is the all occasion wine that goes well with everything and anything or all by itself. What a great gift for your family and friends who love an excellent Lambrusco.

Enjoy! Salute!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 4:37 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20