Profile for Peter T. Wolf > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 175

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter T. Wolf "Gilded Age Lover" RSS Feed (lake forest, ca United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Barrymore
Barrymore
DVD ~ Christopher Plummer
Price: $17.49
11 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning. Simply Stunning, January 31, 2014
This review is from: Barrymore (DVD)
It is hard to believe that Plummer is in his 80's when he did this. The physicality. The sharpness of the delivery. Others have said it before, but I'll add my two cents: This is easily Christopher Plummer's finest performance. Where's the Emmy??

Humoresque
Humoresque
DVD ~ Joan Crawford
Offered by Solo Enterprises
Price: $5.70
57 used & new from $1.09

5.0 out of 5 stars It's hard to know where to begin praising this film, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Humoresque (DVD)
Amazingly, I saw this movie last night for the first time ever and I was blown away. I was glued to the TV. Like all great movies, it works on multiple levels. You have a very intelligent and erudite script. You have the glorious classical music and musicianship of Oscar Levant at the keyboard and Issac Stern (dubbing for John Garfield) on violin. You have superb acting from Garfield and Joan Crawford ( their best performances in my opinion). Plus Ruth Nelson as Garfield's mother steals all the scenes she's in. You have great sets and scenes and clothes of New York CIty of the 1940's. And it's all brought together by one of Hollywood's finest directors. If you haven't seen this movie, see it. I am buying a copy of it today.

Our Heart's Joy
Our Heart's Joy
Price: $16.47
21 used & new from $4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish music does it again., December 8, 2013
This review is from: Our Heart's Joy (Audio CD)
The two anonymous , renaissance Spanish carols on the CD are terrific. As usual, Spanish music of this period simply had it all over their counterparts in Tudor England. Spain may have lost their wars against the English but they beat them hands down in music. The list of wonderful , but little known, composers from Spain and the Low Countries under Spanish rule, is extensive. Indeed, even much of the music from the Spanish colonies back then is also wonderful. People like Jordi Savall have made it their life work to find and perform it.

Custer in photographs
Custer in photographs
by D. Mark Katz
2 used & new from $48.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Know What You're Talking About Before You Speak, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Custer in photographs (Hardcover)
I am writing about the 'Custer in Photographs' edition that I have for sale on Amazon and that no one else ( as far as I can tell) is offering. This is the deluxe, limited ( #48 of 150), full leather, gold tooled, sewn binding edition. It is large 4to size. The book contains an original photograph of Custer struck from an 1874 glass negative, found only in the limited edition.
I am a rare book collector and I can tell you that the production quality of this book is up there with the finest I have seen from boutique book publishers. Further, Heritage Book Bindery in Pasadena, California ( who I do business with) confirms that the overall production quality of this edition is top flight. So, any reviews that disparage this book either don't know what they're talking about or are somehow referring to a completely different book.
Photos available upon request. And if you live in Southern California, drop on by to smell the exquisite leather.

The Hollow Crown: The Complete Series
The Hollow Crown: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Tom Hiddleston
Price: $23.49
9 used & new from $23.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing performance, September 30, 2013
I have only seen 'Richard II' of this series and so my review is based on that alone. But if the rest of the plays are up to that level, then this is a truly remarkable production. I can only add my similar praise to all the others posted here. It's dazzling!! Ben Whishaw's performance as Richard II is nearly indescribable. I was speechless watching him. The constant interweaving of a flow of myriad and mercurial moods and tempers, and all the while the Shakespeare rolling off his tongue as if it were his everyday language, was simply a tour de force. No wonder he won the BAFTA. If this young man can do this level of acting so early in his career, then what are we in store for later on ? We have potentially another Ralph Fiennes or Daniel Day Lewis.
If you've not seen this video yet, do so real soon.

Suppe, Auber: Overtures
Suppe, Auber: Overtures
33 used & new from $2.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great 60's era recordings, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Suppe, Auber: Overtures (Audio CD)
I owned this record when it came out on vinyl in the early 60's. This was with out doubt the golden age of recorded classical music because it was analog. And nothing beats the analog sound. Even rocker Keith Richards says that. In addition you had all the famous names of classical labels ( most are gone now) signing up the best orchestras with the best conductors. Mercury, RCA Red Seal, EMI, Capital, etc. They all produced magnificent and big sounds. This particular record, while sounding decent digitized, sounded even better on vinyl with big stereo speakers. I highly recommend it.

The End of French Predominance in Europe: The Financial Crisis of 1924 and the Adoption of the Dawes Plan (American Council of Learned Societies)
by Stephen A. Schuker
Price: $41.40
23 used & new from $41.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Sans Pareil, September 13, 2013
This is without question one of the finest pieces of scholarship I have ever read ( and I've read a lot) on foreign policy. The author describes the series of catastrophic blunders committed by France, Britain and the U.S. in the 1920's and 30's in their attempt to seek a rapprochment with a defeated and revengeful Germany. So well written is the book that through out it (especially in the outstanding Chapter 7), the reader is tempted to scream at the pages to warn the allied diplomats and politicians away from the disastrous path they're following. The editing, bibliography and notes are superb. This is simply a must-read book for anyone interested in modern diplomacy and how not to run a country's foreign policy. By the way, the similiarities with the conduct of today's inept U.S. foreign policy are uncanny.

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 11 - The Year 1905
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 11 - The Year 1905
Price: $23.91
17 used & new from $14.30

5.0 out of 5 stars The best recording of this piece, August 22, 2013
I adore this piece of music, ever since I first heard it used as the score for the 1960's film 'The Condemned of Altona'. From then on I have made it a point to listen to every performance of it I can find, including rare live performances, such as in Sydney Australia 14 years ago.
This cleaned up stereo performance by Cluytens ( originally issued in mono on vinyl, which I have), is THE best. It is heads and shoulders above the others. Why? Because this is very difficult symphony to perform with all its complexity. And because Cluytens understands and expertly delivers the haunting imagery inherent in Shostakovich's genius. You can almost hear the chill Russian winds blowing over the snow covered dead protestors, cut down by the Czar's troops in front of the Winter Palace in St.Petersburg in 1905. It is an amazing audio experience.

The Condemned of Altona aka I sequestrati di Altona aka O Condenado De Altona (NO ENGLISH) [Import]
DVD ~ Sophia Loren

4.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this movie available ??, August 22, 2013
In another one of those inexplicable film mysteries, this terrific movie is not available on DVD in English, as it was filmed. With an all star cast delivering strong performances, especially Max Schell and Frederic March, Sartre's novel comes alive in all its foreboding eeriness. This is accentuated by being shot in black and white and backed up with Shostakovich's amazing 11th Symphony as the score. If you've not seen this movies and you have a chance to do so, don't miss it.

Ronin
Ronin
DVD ~ Robert De Niro
Price: $8.97
373 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect casting, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Ronin (DVD)
Whoever did the casting for this movie nailed it perfectly. It has all my favorite people. DeNiro, Reno, Bean, Skarsgaard, Pryce, Lonsdale. Even a cameo by German Olympic skater, and super-hottie, Katarina Witt. Then throw in that the whole thing was filmed in France (Paris, Arles, Nice, etc.), and add to that unbelievable car chases and shoot-outs. You get perfection. I don't know how many times I've watched this movie and I never tire of it. Kudos to director John Frankenheimer !! This movie easily beats the 'Jason Bourne' series with Matt Damon. I only wish a sequel had been made.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18