Profile for dwal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

dwal RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
GLS Audio 3ft Patch Cable Cords - XLR Male To XLR Female Color Cables - 3' Balanced Snake Cord - 6 PACK
Offered by Orange County Speaker
Price: $33.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, January 25, 2015
Low quality cable. Low gauge wire and poor shielding. This cable introduces noise. Swapped out for Monoprice cables instead. Noise is gone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2015 12:34 PM PST

GLS Audio 6ft Patch Cable Cords - XLR Male To XLR Female Color Cables - 6' Balanced Snake Cord - 6 PACK
Offered by Orange County Speaker
Price: $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, January 25, 2015
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2015 12:33 PM PST

GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI FM2+/FM2 A88X (Bolton D4) Wi-Fi/BT4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
Price: $98.95
42 used & new from $87.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little board., March 7, 2014
I used this with a AMD A6-6400k APU for a htpc running Fedora 20, MythTV 0.27, and XBMC 13 Gotham using open source Radeon drivers for video acceleration and bitstreaming DTS-HD & TrueHD.

I have traditionally used Intel processors and sometimes added Nvidia graphics cards for smooth playback using VAAPI or VDPAU acceleration. VAAPI doesn't work great in MythTV. I wanted to play around with an AMD setup and I am glad I did. Very smooth playback and no tearing. HD Audio works perfect as well. I had a i3-2100 & i3-3225 setup before this one and this is a lot better for HTPC on Linux.

This board did have F2 bios on it already so it would have worked with Kaveri APU. I bought a Richland to save a few dollars and actually everything works better than expected. I was really impressed and I'm glad I saved the few dollars.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2014 1:18 PM PDT

AMD A6-6400K Richland 3.9GHz Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor AMD Radeon HD AD640KOKHLBOX
Offered by Better Choice Online
Price: $63.49
53 used & new from $39.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., March 7, 2014
I used this with a Gigabyte A88x mini-itx board for a htpc running Fedora 20, MythTV 0.27, and XBMC 13 Gotham using open source Radeon drivers for video acceleration and bitstreaming DTS-HD & TrueHD.

Debated deducting one star for being lower performance in general compared to Intel procs, but for my use I won't notice at all. This is superior.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2014 2:08 PM PST

Denon AVR-X4000 7.2-Channel 4K Ultra HD Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by MODIA
Price: $849.00
9 used & new from $630.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Better audio than I thought. Great features as I expected. Not finicky., December 8, 2013
I was using an Emotiva UMC-200 with an XPA-5 external amp to drive a 5.2 channel setup with Ascend Acoustic 340s across the front with HTM-200s in the rear. My UMC-200 had a hardware failure and I bought the X4000 to stand in for the UMC while it was getting repaired. The X4000 is absolutely great. The UMC can be finicky when driven with my HTPC running mythtv. If there is a break-up in signal the UMC would some times drop the audio and then you would see a 1 second retry to lock on the audio signal. The X4000 has none of those issues. I still use my XPA5 to drive my speakers. I tested back to back and with the external amp and you can definitely hear a difference in the audio. I ran without it for a week and then put it back into the mix. I thought I would go without the XPA, but when I hooked it back up you can definitely hear better audio. I may use the X4000 to drive front height speakers or rear channels. I'll keep the XPA for front, center, rear.

I have gone through so many receivers over the last few years trying to find what I like. Pioneer SC-1222-K, earlier Denon (1713, 3312), Onkyo (818, 1010, 3010), Yamaha a820, Emotiva, etc. I landed on the UMC-200 for audio quality. The X4000 is just as good in my opinion. The two are a bit different sound wise, but since the X4000 is not finicky at all I will probably keep it and sell the UMC.

UPDATE: I ended up returning the X4000. While I enjoyed the receiver for movies I was not satisfied with the music playback with my music collection. Even with Audyssey on and off I couldn't get it quite right. I returned this one and the search continues. I may end up buying the Emotiva XMC-1 processor when it comes out early 2014. Other receivers that have me intrigued are the Anthem MRX 310/510, Yamaha 1030/2030/3030, Sherbourn PT-7030, and Pioneer Elite SC-75 (SC-1523-K).
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2014 3:07 PM PST

Bic America Adatto Dv52Si Adatto Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Black)
Bic America Adatto Dv52Si Adatto Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Black)
Offered by antonline
Price: $78.98
20 used & new from $49.00

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected better., October 19, 2012
I recently purchased an entire line up of Bic America speakers for my 5.1 home theater.

(4) Bic Formula FH-6T for Front & Rear L/R.
(1) Bic Formula FH6-LCR for center.
(1) Bic PL-200 subwoofer.

The entire theater sounds pretty good. I am happy with it so I started looking into Bic's other speakers. The DV line has pretty good reviews so when I needed a pair of speakers for my computer I thought these would be great. I have an Asus Xonar D2 sound card outputting crystal clear audio to a Lepai LP-2020A+ tripath amp. I also tried these connected to a Yamaha R-S300 receiver. These did not sound clear. There were barely a notch up on the satellite speakers that came in my Logitech Z-5500 set. I guess I just expected better.

I did not test these outdoors so maybe there are good for that purpose. Not very good indoors. I returned them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2013 7:44 AM PST

Lux Products CAG1500 Clean Cycle Clean Air Programmable Thermostat
Lux Products CAG1500 Clean Cycle Clean Air Programmable Thermostat

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thermostat., September 17, 2012
I bought this thermostat for the clean air feature. Not so much because I want clean air, but because I want my fan to circulate the air throughout my house a certain amount of time / hour regardless of whether the heat or A/C is running. This works perfectly. Programming could be a bit easier though. Other brands are easier to program (little more intuitive).

eneloop AA 1800 cycle,  Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8 Pack (discontinued by manufacturer)
eneloop AA 1800 cycle, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8 Pack (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Horizon Battery
Price: $21.99
5 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great batteries., September 17, 2012
I have a bunch of these that I rotate out of all my electronics. I use them everywhere. I bought both the AAA and AA type and a special battery charger that will charge each cell individually to their max (4 at a time) and not in pairs like the Sanyo charger does.

Greenshield Organic, Usda Organic Lavender Liquid Laundry Detergent, 38-Ounces (Pack of 6)
Offered by Supecto
Price: $69.27
2 used & new from $44.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., September 17, 2012
This is great stuff. Smells good. About as natural as you can get. Cleaning power is about an 7-8/10. Great for every day wash. Doesn't wash out colors much more than anything else. I use it in an LG front loading machine. If I have really dirty laundry I may use seventh generation liquid which isn't as "green" as this. That stuff cleans a bit better on the dirty greasy clothes. For regular wash we use this. I used to get it at my local Lowes and they stopped carrying this version of it. Glad it is available on Amazon.

American Kitchen AK-710 Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Set
American Kitchen AK-710 Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pots and pans., September 17, 2012
These are great pots and pans. I originally bought a Cuisinart set from Meijer and realized I needed more. I bought these to add extras to the kitchen. These are the go to pieces. Much nicer. My girlfriend always complained about getting the Cuisinart ones clean. They always had black marks on them. These do not have that problem. These are much nicer. They cost a bit more, but well worth the extra price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4