Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Ghost 9 > Reviews

Browse

Ghost 9's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ghost 9 RSS Feed (New York)

Use Your Illusion II
Use Your Illusion II
Price: $8.39
295 used & new from $0.31

4.0 out of 5 stars A couple songs short of "Appetite", August 29, 2004
This review is from: Use Your Illusion II (Audio CD)
If you read my review for "Appetite," I think it's fairly obvious how huge a fan I am of GnR. This album, easily triumphing over Use Your Illusion 1, is vastly underrated. For one thing, it appears to me that several of my favorite songs are commonly called mediocre or flat out bad. In my opinion, almost every song is superb, beautifully written, and simply enjoyable. The song opens with a succesion of three beautiful songs, "Civil War," peaceful but fueled by apparent emotion; "14 Years," a song that despite what's been said, I find irrestibly likeable; and "Yesterdays," within my top ten favorite by the band. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," although good, is overrated. "Get in the Ring" and "Shotgun Blues" are both mediocre. Listenable, but nothing special by any means. "Breakdown" is wonderful, "Pretty Tied Up" is boring, but fine, and "Locomitive" is an excellent ride. There's really nothing special about "So Fine," but I personally love it. "Estranged" is nothing shy of spectacular. This is one of the few songs where every single aspect of the song is flawless. Arguably Axl's greatest writing, since it's the only song that moved me nearly to tears, and Slash is brilliant on the old axe here. "You Could Be Mine" and "Don't Cry" are both very good, and "My World" is one of the most utterly horrible songs I've ever heard. Undoubtedly GnR's worst. Without this one, Use Your Illusion 2 would stand about as tall as their debut.

Oh, the little things. Dizzy on piano is a good touch, in addition to more low-key tunes than Illusion 1 had. However, slow songs aren't good on their own. The brilliant use of this little thing called a climax, powerful emotion that is still able to maintain the title of a "ballad," and some of the best pieces lyrically are the things that make this album so good. If only somebody would've cut that ridiculously appalling final track...

Appetite For Destruction
Appetite For Destruction
Price: $9.24
254 used & new from $1.64

5.0 out of 5 stars 17 Years Later, Still a Masterpiece, August 24, 2004
When "Hollywood Rose" and "Guns" merged to form the best band of the 80's(and the 90's, for that matter)they kicked off their career with the masterpiece called "Appetite for Destruction." To agree with most of my preceeding reviewers, I will concur that the album, although somewhat overplayed, is anything but overrated.

Kicked off with the group's adrenaline pumping anthem, "Welcome to the Jungle," is GnR's ultimate song. Although far from my favorite, nothing speaks for the band like their angry, expressive opening track. Moving on to a song you haven't heard, "It's So Easy" is a memorable, highly loveable tune. Instantly one of my favorites on the CD, this song will expose you to another aspect of this multifaceted band. "Nightrain," my second favorite song on the album, is as explosive and energetic as it is fundamentally excellent and diverse. "Out ta' Get Me," although not one of their best, is a fun and fast punkish song. I like it, and on other CDs it would shine, but compared to the other material we have here, it falls short. Speaking of other excellent material, next we are introduced to the criminally underrated, lyrical gem of "Mr. Brownstone." From underrated, to slightly overrated, we now are taken down to "Paradise City" which holds most of its glory in the last minute and a half.

Next up, powerful, robust, controversial, and wonderful is "My Michelle." This is the album's most headbanging song, one that you can't hum while standing still. "Think About You" is a pleasant change of topic from the prior songs. Personally, I don't think it lives up to the hype that it gets from a lot of other reviewers. Still an excellent song, but not in my top five for the CD. Following is my undisputable favorite, not just on Appetite, but for any by GnR. "Sweet Child o' Mine" opens with a riff that started as a joke, but has grown to be my favorite intro to any song (following perhaps "Purple Haze". The lyrics, sweet and idiosyncratic to their bad-boy image, are part of what makes Guns n' Roses such a diverse, superb group. The end gleams just as bright as the intro, and everything in the middle is perfectly worthwhile--and that is a vast understatement. It's difficult to follow Child, but "You're Crazy" is the song given that position. This song, like "Out ta' Get Me" would be better if it was on another album, but it's still a good song, definetly enjoyable, albeit only enjoyable. Next is the only filler on the whole album, "Anything Goes." I enjoy the guitar part, but the lyrics aren't very strong with the exception of the opening verse. The chorus is not well written. Lastly we are brought to the six minute plus "Rocket Queen," a song that showcases voice distortion the right way. Solid lyrics, and a simple yet fitting guitar part make this an appropriate closer for one of the best albums of all time.

In addition to solid songs all around, some details that put make this CD great, not good. First of all are Axl's vocal overdubs allowing him to sing backup with his signature style, but in the foreground with one of the many other dimensions of his voice. Squealing guitar solos from Slash are wonderful, (he's my favorite guitarist) but I'm also glad to see Izzy ALWAYS strong on rhythm, and occasionally on lead. Good drumming adds to the mix, and the bands entirely "F&*@ 'em all" attitude is what really makes GnR the best band of the 80's. In my opinion, no one better has come along since them.