Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for S. Davidson > Reviews

Browse

S. Davidson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Davidson "Jose Remirez Goldstein von Strontum" RSS Feed (New Berlin, Morocco)

We Are Better Than This: How Government Should Spend Our Money
We Are Better Than This: How Government Should Spend Our Money
by Edward D. Kleinbard
Price: $29.95
70 used & new from $4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely entertaining and engrossing, it turns upside down all the tax arguments on both the right and the left, September 29, 2014
I couldn't put it down. Like the artwork on the cover, it turns upside down all of the taxation arguments on both the right and the left that have played out across the country over the past decade.

This is a profound book about our shared values as a country, who we want to be, what we stand for, and the moral choices we can and should make as a country to consciously deploy our resources to achieve those goals. Funny, witty, insightful, it is packed with the facts and reasoning that will arm you to engage those who rail against taxes as theft from the rich in a deeper conversation about our choice of outcomes. Instead of focussing on whether taxes should or shouldn't be slashed, he asks what is it that we want government to do with the resources that we can provide to it to spend on our behalf? Once the focus is on the "what", the "why" becomes clearer. Why would we decide to foot the bill for our joint welfare or the welfare of others less fortunate than ourselves? It is a privilege to live in a society where we count the cost of such things as human misery and inter-generational inheritance of poverty as higher than the cost that taxes to combat those ills impose on our check books. Mr. Kleinbard gives us the moral, historical and financial reasons that we should make the right choices, and does so in a uniquely entertaining style.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2014 11:27 AM PDT

The Heist: A Novel (Gabriel Allon Series Book 14)
The Heist: A Novel (Gabriel Allon Series Book 14)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I am so disappointed that I wasted the time to read this book, August 7, 2014
I am so disappointed that I wasted the time to read this book. It began exactly the same way as did an earlier book of his, and the resolution of the big operation that drove the whole middle of the book was a "whoops, never mind!". If I'd purchased it in hard copy, I would have returned it. Since I bought it in Kindle, all I could do was delete it.

Great House: A Novel
Great House: A Novel
Price: $11.49

1.0 out of 5 stars The good reviews are a total mystery, January 8, 2011
I am baffled by the good reviews. While the novel purports to have multiple narrators, they all have the same voice. Each has convenient dreams that work in with the plot. Each uses constant similes that are long, tortured and unrevealing. I got to the point that if my eye caught the word "like" coming up in a sentence, I would jump to the next sentence to avoid the annoying simile, even though it meant I had to jump over large portions of the text. The author also uses transparent tricks, such as having one of the narrators tell her story, peppered with "Your Honor", without saying why or where the narrator is in court, presumably hoping to hold the reader's interest in having this mystery eventually explained. It's hard to get wrapped up in this mystery, however, because, the "testimony" would be preposterous as testimony in any court - for example the narrator goes on for pages and pages about how remarkable she considered herself as a child, and why. I could go on and on, too, but I will just suggest you give this book a pass.

Whoracle
Whoracle

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Buy for any metal fan, April 5, 2008
This review is from: Whoracle (MP3 Music)
This is a truly amazing album that covers all the spectrums in flames excels in and some they generally don't. To deal with the latter category first, In Flames is not necessarily renowned for their instrumental skill above all else, but Dialogue with the Stars proves that these guys can indeed create a masterpiece of a song with no aid from their vocals. The rest of the album is made up entirely of amazing songs from episode 666 to Jotun to Food For the Gods to Gyroscope to everything I haven't mentioned yet. This is in flames at their the top of their game, so pick it up. However, it might actually be an equally good idea to buy the tokyo showdown instead considering it contains almost all the songs on this album, but live.