Profile for Laura C. O'Neal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura C. O'Neal RSS Feed (Euclid, OH United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Crochet Pattern-a-Day: 2008 Day-to-Day Calendar
Crochet Pattern-a-Day: 2008 Day-to-Day Calendar
by Desiree Scales
Edition: Calendar
13 used & new from $19.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, December 26, 2007
I received this calendar for a gift, and was really excited, because crochet calendars are few and far between. After opening it though, I was disappointed. Quite a few of the patterns are actually free patterns from yarn companies, mainly Bernat and Patons, that are available on their websites. Many of the remainder of the patterns were not professionally photographed, rather they were photos sent in by the individual pattern designers, so many of the pictures were poor quality. I also agree with the previous reviewer who said the paper is thin as well. The concept for the calendar is great, but it needs more editorial oversight, and more original patterns. I'm glad I didn't buy this calendar myself, because I would have felt ripped off seeing how many patterns are just free ones from yarn company websites.

Get Hooked Again: Simple Steps to Crochet More Cool Stuff
Get Hooked Again: Simple Steps to Crochet More Cool Stuff
by Kim P. Werker
25 used & new from $22.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for new (and even not so new) crocheters!, December 1, 2007
I bought this book after checking out the first "Get Hooked" from the library, and really liking it. This book is just as good! The book is geared towards teenagers, but even as an thirtysomething woman, I still really liked it. I already know how to crochet, so I didn't need the learn to crochet instructions at the front of the book, but they seem like they would be easy to learn from, especially since they show photos of hands performing the stitches, rather than the black and white line drawings so many other books use. The patterns are very cute, and the directions are very easy to follow. All of the patterns are written without abbreviations, which would be helpful for beginning crocheters. There were quite a few items I would like to make for either myself for my 10 year old daughter. The patterns are:

Autumn Striped Scarf
Chunky Hat (shown on cover)
Shelter Your Shades Case
Flower Power Pillow
Ruby Slippers
Peek-A-Boo Shrug
Honor Roll Vest

Two other things I really liked about this book is that most of the projects use inexpensive yarns that are available at mainstream craft stores, Walmart, etc. (instead of $15+ a skein yarns that only specialty yarn shops carry), and each patterns lists the exact yardage of yarn used, rather than just saying "3 skeins of Yarn A". I find that helpful for determing if that partial skein of yarn in my stash would be enough for a project.

Overall, I feel this book was well worth the price, and highly recommend it!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Crochet Kid Stuff: 20 Fun Projects
Crochet Kid Stuff: 20 Fun Projects
by Sharon Mann
Edition: Spiral-bound
20 used & new from $0.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a crochet book with patterns for older kids!, September 21, 2007
I have an almost 10 year old daughter, and have the hardest time finding crochet clothing/accessory patterns in her size. It seems that most crochet books and magazines have an abundance of patterns for babies and toddlers, but very little for older kids. The variety of patterns is great, especially the boys' items - they include a number of really nice sweaters that would be appropriate for girls as well, if done in different colors. I have an almost 5 year old son, and there is an even bigger scarcity of crochet patterns for boys, so I am looking forward to making some of the items for him when he gets a little older. My daughter saw the book, and has already picked out some things she wants me to make for her. As an advanced beginner crocheter, I was also pleased to see that the patterns all look easy to follow, and that most use widely-available, inexpensive yarns. The spiral binding is great too - I like that it will lie flat while I crochet. Overall, I was very pleased with this book, and highly recommend it for anyone who crochets for older kids.

The Easy Learn to Crochet in Just One Day
The Easy Learn to Crochet in Just One Day
by Bobbie Matela
Price: $14.42
73 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner patterns!, April 1, 2007
I am a beginner crocheter, and bought this book because I wanted some very easy crochet patterns. I was very pleased with the selection of patterns! The patterns are all beginner-to-easy and progress from projects made with simple rectangles to ones requiring some shaping/trims. I really liked that nearly all of the patterns use relatively inexpensive, easy to find yarns that can be purchased at any craft store, unlike some crochet books that call for expensive, hard to find designer yarns. I did give the book a "4" overall instead of a "5" however, because I think the learn to crochet instructions at the beginning of the book would be a bit difficult for a person who has never crocheted at all to follow - they are all black & white drawings. Color photos would be more helpful. Overall though, a great book!

I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting (Leisure Arts #4061): Updated Edition
I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting (Leisure Arts #4061): Updated Edition
by Leisure Arts
Price: $11.13
51 used & new from $3.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for new crocheters!, March 15, 2007
I bought this book after getting frustrated trying to learn how to crochet from the black and white drawings found in other crochet books/pamphlets. I found the instructions and photos extremely easy to follow, and also liked that the book has supplementary information on hook sizes, yarn types, decreasing and increasing stitches, and felting crocheted items. The book does seem to be geared towards younger (teens and early 20's) people, but I didn't find that it detracted from the book. As far as patterns go, I thought they were just OK - nothing special, although there is a pattern for a round felted bag that I thought would be really cute to make for my daughter. Overall, I was very pleased with the book, and feel that it is worth buying just for the crochet instructions alone. I also highly recommend the Leisure Arts I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting DVD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 11:43 PM PST

Knitting Wheel Fashions  (Leisure Arts #4372)
Knitting Wheel Fashions (Leisure Arts #4372)
by Charlene G. Finiello
24 used & new from $16.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for both new and experienced loom knitters!, November 20, 2006
I bought a set of Knifty Knitter knitting looms several months ago, and was looking for new patterns to try on them. I was very pleased with the variety of patterns in this books, especially the shrugs and wraps, and can't wait to try some of them out!

It Ain't All Good: Why Black Men Should Not Date White Women
It Ain't All Good: Why Black Men Should Not Date White Women
by John Johnson
Price: $12.56
41 used & new from $2.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Obscuring the Real Issues!, May 4, 2006
I am a white woman who has been married to a black man for 14 years, and who has two biracial children. I think it is sad and ridiculous that anyone would read a book like this, and honestly believe its premise that black men dating white women is destroying the black family. Black family structure in the U.S. is breaking down for a whole host of reasons entirely unrelated the TINY percentage of interracial marriages taking place in the U.S., such as the high percentage of black men in prison, high unemployment rates in the black community, terrible urban public education systems that don't adequately prepare black children/teens for jobs and college, etc. If anyone wants to know what the REAL causes of black family breakdown are, read "When Work Disappears" by William Julius Wilson. To blame interracial couples for such a complex problem is foolish and only serves to distract people from working on the real issues.

I am also sick of hearing that every black man who dates/marries a white woman does so out of a desire to have the "forbidden fruit". My husband and I have a strong, loving relationship that has withstood many rough times, and that is NOT about race. Sure, we have cultural differences (different preferences in music, food, etc.), but the only time RACE comes into play in our relationship is when other people force it on us, and make it an issue (no, I am not naive, and think that racism doesn't exist). We married for the same reason same-race couples do - LOVE. I have plenty of other interracial couple friends (black women with white men, and white women with black men), and they too married for love, NOT because of the so-called "taboo" of interracial relationships.

Furthermore, I have nothing against black women. Most of my friends (including my best friend of 10 years) are black women. I didn't set out to "steal" a black man to spite black women. People need to get over their fears, ignorance, and predjudice about interracial relationships, and direct their energy towards the real issues that need to be addressed in U.S. society.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2010 6:32 PM PDT

The Meanest Doll in the World (The Doll People)
The Meanest Doll in the World (The Doll People)
by Ann M. Martin
Price: $7.99
224 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Little Girl's Book!, April 3, 2006
My 8 year old daughter and I came across this book at our local library. I was afraid it would be boring, but my daughter wanted to check it out. My daughter is just starting chapter books, so I read a chapter to her each night at bedtime, and we couldn't put it down! The characters are well-developed and believable, and the story line is fascinating! Any little girl who loves dolls will love this story! We are eagerly looking forward to reading "The Doll People" next!

The War Against Parents: What We Can Do for America's Beleaguered Moms and Dads
The War Against Parents: What We Can Do for America's Beleaguered Moms and Dads
by Sylvia Ann Hewlett
Price: $14.86
106 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not the 1950's!!!!, December 21, 2005
For all those who would criticize mothers for working outside of the home, and for wanting schools and workplaces to be more family-friendly, try to remember that this is not the 1950's! Most mothers simply CANNOT afford to stay home with their children, and NO, it is not because us working mothers are materialistic, greedy, and value work over our children! I find it awfully convenient how the women who like to attack working mothers for not staying home with their children, and who like to say, "Well, I can afford to stay home, so they can too", are always the ones who have husbands with good jobs earning $40,000-$50,000+ a year.

My husband brings home about $1,500 a month from his job after taxes, medical insurance, etc. is taken out. Tell me how a family of four can live off $1,500 a month, with having to pay for rent, utilities, food, clothes, prescriptions (my husband has diabetes, and my daughter has asthma, eczema, and allergies), etc? If I quit working, we would starve. I work full-time so my family can eat, and have a roof over our heads, NOT so we can live in a huge house, drive two new cars, or go on expensive vacations. My family and I live in a rented, 1960's era condo in a working-class suburb. We shop at discount stores such as Marc's and Wal-Mart for our food. We buy all our clothes through end of the season clearance sales. We've been on one vacation in the past 10 years. We have one vehicle, and an older one at that. We are hardly living it up while our children languish in daycare.

And yes, besides just the outdated attitudes of some parents, our schools and workplaces are stuck in the 1950's as well! I can't tell you how many times I've been criticized and punished by bosses at different jobs for having to take time off from work when my children are sick, or have days off from school, etc. My daughter is in the second grade, and I calculated that between summer vacation, Easter/Christmas vacations, other holidays, teacher in service days, etc, that she only goes to school 8 months out of each year. I am constantly scrambling to find care for her during her time off, and I know that there are millions of other working parents in the same situation.

This book is right on target.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2013 7:00 AM PST

2006 Mom's Plan-It Engagement Calendar
2006 Mom's Plan-It Engagement Calendar

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, but needs improvement, November 23, 2005
I bought this calendar in August just before my daughter went back to school. The calendar has some nice features - the August start (great for those of us with children in school) and the colorful stickers.

Unfortunately, it also has a lot of shortcomings. The book could use a two-page grid calendar for each month, so moms can see everything going on in a month at one glance. It could also use some blank lined pages for notes. There is a block for each day, but that only provides enough room to write down appointments, activities, etc. There is no where to jot down notes or reminders. Another shortcoming is that while there is a pocket inside the front cover to store receipts, slips of paper, etc, it doesn't accomodate larger pieces of paper.

Overall, the book is nice for the price, but for someone who needs a lot of writing room, and/or has a lot to keep track of, they would be better off spending the extra money on a Franklin Covey planner system.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4