Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Thomas Kossl > Reviews

Browse

Thomas Kossl's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas Kossl RSS Feed

Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension
by Michio Kaku
Price: $10.25
307 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Multidimensional Brilliance, July 26, 2000
By the time that I read this book, it was already five years in print. Nevertheless, I did not find it to be outdated or repetitive of more recent books that I have read. In fact, the book laid a better foundation for many concepts that are handled only summarily in other books. The author traces the progression of thought that led to superstring theory, covering many difficult subjects, such as field theory, the standard model and supergravity, in an understandable way. But mostly I appreciated his attempts, through visual aids and analogies, to convey an understanding of dimensions that are beyond our immediate physical experience. The author is obviously an accomplished physicist and mathematician, but is able to communicate in an interesting and simple style. This ability to convey the essence of difficult subjects is what I consider to be genuine brilliance.

Relativity Visualized
Relativity Visualized
by Lewis Carroll Epstein
53 used & new from $11.60

5.0 out of 5 stars lucid, simple and breathtaking, October 13, 1998
This review is from: Relativity Visualized (Paperback)
It has been a while since I read this book, so I can not review it in detail. After having started it, I could not wait to continue. After finishing, I was so excited that I bought a copy for a friend and the videotape for my children. Having tried to grasp relativity through a number of other texts, including Einstien's own, this book gave me the first (glorious) experience of understanding a good part of it. Although my copy is not hard bound, I have, nevertheless, placed it in a prominent position on my bookshelf.

Before the Beginning: Our Universe and Others (Helix Books)
Before the Beginning: Our Universe and Others (Helix Books)
by Martin J. Rees
98 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars well written, broad overview of current cosmology, October 13, 1998
I purchased this book because of the title, which is, at a minimum, misleading. There is little or nothing in the book discussing the world before the big bang. Nevertheless, this was an interesting and well written book and if it promised no more than it gave, I'd have purchased it anyway.
The more interesting parts concern the collapse of stars, the development of black holes, miniholes and other extremely dense accretions of matter, speculation about dark matter and the possibility of multiple universes. The book gives insight into the relationships of different types of particles and forces and the possible parameters of a unified theory. For the first time, I was able to appreciate (although one must still marvel at it) how the world might have been so small initially and how the universe may have been created from nothing, or something next to nothing. Most interesting to me were passages discussing time and the factors that may give preference to a particular direction in time. The book ends with an unconvincing discussion of anthropic principles, which basically says:" the world is what it is because we are what we are." Personally, I don't think this advances knowledge very much.