Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for M. Simonson > Reviews

Browse

M. Simonson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Simonson RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Rolex Men's Submariner Automatic Blue Dial Oyster 18k Solid Gold
Rolex Men's Submariner Automatic Blue Dial Oyster 18k Solid Gold
Offered by AVI AND CO NY
Price: $27,335.00
5 used & new from $27,335.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as a Lefty, November 9, 2015
Because of the weight of the gold and a problem I have with my left wrist sometimes have to wear it on the other wrist but it still looks great.
What a wonderful way to say "I have money and you don't" to everybody you meet!

Sadly this is a Sub-Mariner instead of a true Mariner watch but I like it anyway so 5 stars it is.
Until Rolex makes a True-Mariner watch this is still a great way to show one's proper position in society.
I also wear it to Church, what a great way to tell Pastor "I have money and you're not getting it".

All Season Solar Cooker and Trivet
All Season Solar Cooker and Trivet
Offered by SOLCOOK LLC
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $88.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, October 1, 2015
This review is from: All Season Solar Cooker and Trivet
This was purchased to use as a back-up or 2nd cooker for camping and picnics but also used out on the patio.
The product is fairly easy to set up, look at the picture, figure out how to fold it into the box (bottom) and it shouldn't be that hard.
The way the opening sort of slides back and forth so it can always capture the sun is a pretty clever yet simple design (and there is a sun gage).

First we simply brought some water to the boiling point (using a dark pot and the cooking bag) which worked quite well and the water was used to make coffee in a French press. Next tried their suggestion to cook rice as a 1st meal which works quite well. When using it for some of those highly processed foods where the rice or noodles are pre-cooked then dried bring the water to boiling first or the product will over-soak and lose texture.

Next tried some experiments measured with an oven thermometer, to avoid the cooling effect of evaporation I used a thermal load with things like nuts, bolts, sockets etc, about the same weight I'd expect the food to be.

Using the Pyrex bowls recommended and the Granite Ware 0517-6 Covered Round Roaster It reached a temperature of 296 F, certainly hot enough to cook a chicken, a roast etc.
Next I used two cake pans that are very dark but have a few silver specs (so not flat black) the temperature reached 315 F
Then I used two of those black plastic disposable containers designed to boil water in the microwave for noodles etc, the temp only got to 302 F, probably because there wasn't enough surface area to catch all the heat.
[Oven temp for all measurements was taken by placing the thermometer inside the inner container]

That's enough experimenting for now, I'm pretty sure if I want to mess around with flat black paint or matte black camping gear the temp will get close to 350 or so.

When camping or on a picnic we have a 1 burner Coleman but don't use it that often because somebody else usually has a more stable 2-burner unit. If emergency usage is a consideration the 1 burner Coleman and a can of liquid fuel is actually cheaper and one doesn't have to worry about having sun light. It's actually sort of a fun thing to have though, also used it for chickens, cornish game hens, pre-seasoned roasts etc in the summer and putting those out on the patio on hot summer days helps keep the kitchen cool.
Was curious if bread would work, it does but what I did was to make the bread in a flattened "round" and about 1/2 way into the 2nd rise I placed it in the oven. The bread was in the round cake pans (one on the bottom and one on the top). Did it that way because it uses a dark surface for both the top and bottom and the cake pans gave the highest temp in the experiment.
The bread browned nicely with a good crust but because of the way I did it it was like a large hamburger bun.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2015 7:56 AM PDT

Rolex Daytona Platinum Watch Ice Blue Ceramic 116506 Unworn 2016
Rolex Daytona Platinum Watch Ice Blue Ceramic 116506 Unworn 2016
Offered by AVI AND CO NY
Price: $58,860.00
7 used & new from $58,750.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll have to admit I'm a tad disappointed but the whole "Platinum Ice" thing compensates for most ..., August 27, 2015
I'll have to admit I'm a tad disappointed but the whole "Platinum Ice" thing compensates for most of that.
You see I was on Shnoop and bought an Accutron that usually lists at $700.00 for $120 and it only loses 2 seconds in 6 months. Then I bought another Shnoopie for $100 that usually lists for $650 and it only gains 3 seconds in 6 months.
I was hoping at this price it would be accurate to a couple of nanoseconds a decade but it's less accurate than either of the Accutron Shnoopies.
Oh well, live and learn I guess, while I wouldn't say the blue is really "blue" at least the ceramic really is ceramic.

Oxford Garden Shorea Adirondack Chair
Oxford Garden Shorea Adirondack Chair
Price: $430.50
3 used & new from $430.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Chair now that it's addembled, November 15, 2014
More than a few problems but I'm happy with the result. I bought this chair 2 years ago (before the review date) on a 'Lightning Deal' when it was closer to $200. As others have mentioned it had manufacturing sawdust on it but that really wasn't a problem.
What was a problem was the fit, it was impossible to place it together, there was one screw in a set of three that wouldn't go in but after assembly I drilled another pilot hole and it's fastened as good as the design intended.

My chair was not as pictured and I wonder if that was part of the problem, the picture shows the back planks behind the bottom joining piece, mine were in front creating a different angle. I actually broke the back when attempting to force the assembly. My solution was to place the back planks on top of the bottom-back joining piece and drill a pilot hole for two screws into each back plank piece for a total of 10 screws. Now the back is on there solid and I could use an allen wrench to tighten the chair (except for the one in a set of three that would Not! line up!

I didn't use teak oil, I cleaned off the manufacturing sawdust and found it a little rough so I lightly sanded it with a sanding pad. It does change color a bit but I wouldn't say it gets silver-ish.

After all that and two years of use I'm quite happy with it, it's a great outdoor chair. But those other problems shouldn't have happened, I have put lots of stuff like this together, usually if one screw is a little off you can just barley start the others and find a way to get the slightly misaligned one in. Not this time. But once again a nice chair. Others didn't have problems, maybe mine had a major manufacturing defect, but anyone with a drill and a few wood screws could get it together.

Set of 4: 5" 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 with Stripes 1:38 Scale (Blue/Red/White/Yellow) by Kinsmart
Offered by Pick-N-Save!
Price: $18.86
3 used & new from $17.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice little car, February 25, 2014
We have purchased a few as cheap gifts and have one on the shelf (just to have something on the shelf).
Those were bought at CVS where the price is about the same. The detail is fair considering the price and the size. They actually have a nice little coat of paint which can be enhanced with a drop of car wax.

The pull back action allows the back wheels (front on other models) to wind up allowing the car to sprint forward when released on the floor. Probably solid enough for a 5 year old to play with as a toy and detailed enough that adults who like mustangs enjoy having one around on the shelf. While the paint and clear plastic windows look nice the chrome wheels don't really look like chrome, but that's what to expect from a 5 buck mini-diecast.

Oh, they don't come in a box, no retail packaging so harder to give as a "wrapped" gift.

Ghirardelli San Francisco Skyline Cylinder Gift Box
Ghirardelli San Francisco Skyline Cylinder Gift Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice box of Chocolates, December 6, 2012
This box contains a package inside with it's separate bow just like pictured. The Brown box is about 8.5 inches high and contains 80 Ghirardelli squares. The packaging is a little confusing because the outside brown package states the weight is 18.76 oz but the cellophane package inside states 30 oz ( a 2nd label on the bottom of the cellophane package). That is correct for 80 squares, it's 30 oz of premium chocolate squares.

Ghirardelli makes great chocolate and this should be a wonderful appreciation gift for chocolate lovers. When I took the chocolates out of the cellophane package and placed them back in the box they barely fit. This is what an appreciation gift should be like, folks are often taken back when there is tons of packing material inside instead of treats. The cylinder comes in a box that's slightly larger but Amazon placed it in an even larger box with proper packing material and none of my little squares arrived broken.

It's not a Holiday theme but the presentation is nice with an attractive finish on the sturdy cardboard box, a nice Ghirardelli logo and a golden outline of the SF skyline below. The front and back of the cylindrical package are the same and the cylinder is flattened on each side with full Ghirardelli lettering down the sides.

It contains dark, milk and creme filled squares, the same squares available in stores but a generous holiday portion and mix.

Corsair 120GB 2.5" SATA SSD
Corsair 120GB 2.5" SATA SSD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this SSD, April 26, 2012
I picked up one of these (CSSD-F120GB2/RF2) cheap as a refurb for about 90 bucks. I used it on a 4 year old computer with a Core2Quad9450 and SATAII.

The specs and the lower benchmarks as compared to the latest and greatest can be misleading. The increase in performance will come from the faster access time and the removal of much of the latencey. My Windows 7 experience went from 5.9 to 7.4 for the disk portion of the rating (overall was 7.2). I have a lot of things in my startup, and it still reduced startup time to around 30 seconds.
I also set up Trim and this SSD is compatible with Trim.

I did not reload the OS, but rather used Linux tools to reduce the partition size on the old disk then used Clonezilla to do the copy. The only real trick was to use expert mode on Clonezilla and set one option to ignore warnings of the overall disk size being smaller (as I was going from a 500gig to a 120gig).

The overall improvement of the system is amazing, not only with boot time but loading large progams with many fragmented parts is much faster as well.
Often with a refurb one is getting a device where ...
- The factory said it was good
- some crazy guy who manages to break everything didn't break it
- A factory approved shop tested it again and verified it was good.
But there is always a possibility that the item has a rare spurious problem that the factory or factory approved test process doesn't catch.
So far in my consumer experience I have saved tons of money buying refurbs and never had a bad one yet.

I will post a follow-up if I have any problems.

Update: 24 months from date of purchase and installation there have been no problems with my refurb Corsair F120.
Comment Comment | Permalink

New Balance Men's MX608V3 Cross-Training Shoe
New Balance Men's MX608V3 Cross-Training Shoe
Price: $32.97 - $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good generic Cross-Trainer, January 8, 2012
I bought a pair of these on "sale" from Amazon. They are exactly what I expected them to be, an acceptable cross-training Shoe. Like many cross-trainers they are a little more stiff and less flexible than something like a super-light running shoe. But some may consider this to be "support" and this shoe gave me what I expected.

I had never before purchased anything from the New Balance line so I took a chance on the sizing. I found them to be "standard" for my size and they fit perfectly. Like many shoes with more support it took a week or so of wearing them before they really adjusted to my feet. If anybody is really sensitive to "sizing" of a brand obviously one needs to try on a pair at a "brick 'n mortar" store first, or take a chance on the hassle of a possible return.

Not certain why anyone would complain about the appearance. They look exactly like they do in the picture. It is a leather shoe with a nice finish. I selected the white pair with black trim, just a touch of blue and the silver N. If somebody doesn't like the letter N don't buy them I guess.
The Bottom of the shoe looks like it will hold up for many miles, and I have not found it to be slippery on any surface I have yet encountered.

Invicta Men's 1515 I Force Collection 18k Gold Ion-Plated Watch with Black Cloth-Covered Band
Price: $102.87
9 used & new from $97.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Bling, December 31, 2011
I had been looking around for a "lefty watch" and decided to get this one. I was a little reluctant to get an Invicta because right or wrong I sort of attribute an aire of trashiness to anything sold and hyped on those TV shopping channels.

The watch is Big, very big, but the on-line information accurately states this. The Gold and Black appearance is rather nice and the white dials and red second hand make it very easy to read. The outside of the band is a medium-coarse black fabric with black stitching and the inside is a leather that is quite comfortable if wearing the watch all day. The gold appearance of the bezel is near the orange end of the Gold scale. The look of the lines and general appearance of the bezel are sharp and crisp.

The stop-watch function is nice, but many of us have no need for this and instead it rather just adds to the appearance of the "Tachymeter" style design. I will give it a point off for accuracy, it seems to gain about 3 seconds each week. I have two Accutron watches that I paid about the same price for though they did have a slightly higher list. One of the Accutrons gains about 2 seconds in 6 months and the other one will lose 3 sec in 6 months. Not bad by historical standards of watch accuracy, but I expected a little better with all the "Swiss Swiss Swiss" hype.

Ghirardelli Chocolate Five Pound Chocolate Bar
Ghirardelli Chocolate Five Pound Chocolate Bar

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Broken, December 23, 2011
Not broken at all. But it didn't take us long to start breaking off chunks and enjoying it. Perhaps the shippers learned from the first reviews, this had bubble wrap as well as plenty of crumpled up paper protecting it in shipment.

We used to get these at a local store back in the 90s for about 20 -25 bucks but they don't carry it anymore. Not really a surprise that the price has gone up. It was nice to get it again, but I don't think we would have paid the "full price" if you get it directly from Ghiradelli.

We break off chunks between the size of a quarter and a 1/2 dollar and put them on a tray with other holiday treats. This is an excellent milk chocolate and it really goes fast.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3