Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Profile for Dichterliebe > Reviews

Browse

Dichterliebe's Profile

Customer Reviews: 234

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dichterliebe RSS Feed (EARTH)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hoover UH72630PC Wind Tunnel 3 High Performance Pet Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum
Price: $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars In some ways as good or better than Dyson at a much lower price., April 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first Hoover vacuum cleaner and it is a good one. Its suction is easily as good as similar (and much more expensive) Dyson models aimed at a similar market segment and it is in some ways better, particularly the tools. The triangular dusting tool works extremely well, the hose is long enough (though not unwieldy), the cord is VERY long, and true to its name, the Wind Tunnel 3 is great for carpets.

It's heavy and heavy-duty. If a lightweight vacuum is what you're looking for, this one will disappoint as it's sometimes hard to maneuver and the suction provides considerable resistance.

The tools require a flick of a switch on the vacuum and the attachment to the hose, which is all very straightforward. The purpose of each is obvious and depending upon your needs, will work more or less effectively than other similar vacuum tools. As mentioned above, the dusting tool is excellent -- one of the best I've used.

I recently reviewed a similar Dyson and I think it does a slightly better job on hard floors, particularly really fine particles. The Wind Tunnel 3 is good but I had a hard time doing edges and corners w/out breaking out the tools which is another several steps. It's not a deal-breaker (and the Dyson certainly couldn't handle all situations such as carpeted corners without its own edge tool) but over the tile and hardwood in our house, the Wind Tunnel 3's performance is good if not stellar.

One area where Dyson is markedly better than Hoover is in a quick start guide. I'm not sure if the Wind Tunnel 3 is supposed to have one but I couldn't find one and had to resort to the manual. It's good to read the manual anyway but I'm sure there are lots of those like myself who appreciate a fast way to get the thing working and referring to the official manual for finer points or more technical issues such as troubleshooting.

Releasing the dirt into a garbage bag is quick and easy: just one motion of the hand and you're done. This is always a messy job but at least Hoover made it simple enough that you can hold a bag around the canister while trying to avoid breathing in. Nicely done.

Overall, this is quite a good vacuum for the price. It's heavy and solid, strong, has a good and effective assortment of tools, has a long hose and very long cord, and looks good, too. For the price, this is a very respectable machine and should be on the list of anyone who is shopping for a vacuum that can handle pet hair and a lot more. While I didn't put the Wind Tunnel 3 through a battery of tests such as throwing coffee grounds on the floor, I did however put it through its paces over 2 weeks and have come away impressed with my first Hoover.

SABRE Window Glass Alarm - 2 Pack
SABRE Window Glass Alarm - 2 Pack
Price: $12.47
19 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive addition to an existing system., April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a home burglar so I'm not sure how I one would react when seeing these installed in a window but I imagine that in the right spots, these work well both as a visual warning and a fairly loud alarm. For their size, they are loud and they are sensitive to window movement so if your window panes are loose or if you have birds or other animals who enjoy looking in your windows, you might want to consider a different location, particularly in an obscure location where you may not have a sensor connected to your existing system.

Installing couldn't be easier: peel and stick to the window. These aren't loud enough to deter a determined burglar but they are loud enough to gain attention in a neighborhood and are best as an addendum to an existing home alarm system. (My dog thinks they're loud.) Also, they're very inexpensive.

Recommended as additional home security.

Panasonic Retro Over-the-Ear Stereo Monitor Headphones RP-HTX7-W1 (White) Dynamic Accurate Sound, Lightweight and Comfortable
Price: $40.82
57 used & new from $30.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, attractively styled, decent sound. Good at this price point., April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the price, this is a good set of headphones. The sound certainly isn't audiophile quality -- both highs and lows aren't nearly as clear and rich as with my AKG and Sennheiser sets -- but for what they are, these Panasonics are perfectly adequate, don't break the bank, and are sturdy. The headband, cord, cups, and cushions appear to be solid and I predict will last a while and will take some abuse without breaking. However, these aren't the most comfortable. After about an hour of listening, I was forced to take them off and give my ears a rest -- not for sound quality but for the top of the cushion pressing in on my ears, pinching them. I have a wide head while the length of these headphones is nicely adjustable, these pinch my head just a bit too much and the foam cushioning could be firmer.

At this price point and slightly higher, I feel there are better alternatives for sound such as found in the Sennheiser and Sony lines. But with their attractive styling, sturdy construction, and reasonably good performance, this is a decent value.

Lagostina Q5534764 Martellata Tri-ply Hammered Stainless Steel Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Stockpot / Casserolle Cookware, 5-Quart, Silver
Price: $72.54
5 used & new from $72.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Large 5-quart capacity, premium 3-ply and riveted construction, and absolutely beautiful. Hammered finish is a knockout., April 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a premium quality 5-quart braising pan with lid. It is 3-ply: a layer of aluminum is sandwiched between two layers of steel for even heat. The three handles are riveted, not welded -- this means far greater durability, dishwasher safe, and beautiful. The finish is mirrored and the texture is hammered around the sides of the pan for a distinctive look. It's really stunning. The lid fits tightly.

We've used this pan just once so far. It worked perfectly for a French oxtail recipe with red wine, pearl onions, thyme, broth. This recipe begins on the range: crisp one slice bacon (smoked but not maple or anything like that), then dredge and brown the oxtail. Add the other ingredients, then cover and roast for about 1.5 to 2 hours. For the last 45 minutes of cooking, add mushrooms and fresh herbs. Really wonderful -- everything was tender and perfectly cooked. Nothing stuck to the pan and there was no moisture loss due to a loosely fitting lid. And the pan looks so beautiful, we just brought it to the table and served from it.

Make sure you only use wooden utensils so as not to scratch the interior surface.

We have several very good pans like this one but not this exact size, including All-Clad, Cuisinart, and Calphalon stainless. We now have a large braising pan to join their ranks. Very high quality. Enjoy!

Sabatier Olive Wood Mini Spoon, 7.5"
Sabatier Olive Wood Mini Spoon, 7.5"
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small mixing spoon. Looks great on the buffet, too., April 8, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the perfect small mixing or serving spoon. The design is round rather than pointed and so it mixes nicely.

Although made in China, it has the look and feel of an Italian design and is made from a single piece of wood, as if it were carved by hand. Very charming. Best of all, it won't scratch or mar your cookware and mixing bowls like metal will, yet with proper care, olive wood is a strong hardwood and will last for years. Included is a leather strap for hanging.

Wash by hand only. Preserve with mineral or olive oil. (We use mineral, as it won't turn rancid.)

We love it! Highly recommended.

Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Multifloor Upright Vacuum, Silver
Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Multifloor Upright Vacuum, Silver
Price: $494.00
10 used & new from $367.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer with range and maneuverability. Small canister is a flaw, though., March 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having had very good experiences with my first two Dyson vacuums (still vacuuming after years of use), I'm happy to report that this is yet another solid entry in the Dyson lineup. It's powerful, has plenty of suction, features, attachments, and a good warranty. The vacuum performed basic and specialized tasks well in the testing I've done in two weeks; the build quality appears to be good and while it took me a little time to get used to the ball design, I found it lives up to the hype: better maneuverability around corners and in tight quarters.

The Cinetic Big Ball really shines on carpeting and rugs. I found it sucked up dirt and lint quickly and easily in one or two passes and I was surprised how much dirt existed in my carpeting. From the center to the edges of area rugs (including fringe), this Dyson handled everything with ease from surface lint and dust to small bits to deeper cleaning. Earlier Dysons had a problem of eating fringe and making terrible noises when doing so -- not this one.

On tile and hardwood, performance is good if not stellar. I found I had to go over spots several times, especially when trying to pick up small bits of paper I spread on the floor for this test. Particles were sucked in easily, mostly and in grout and grooves between tiles and boards (we have v-groove planks in our living room), the Dyson cleaned fairly well but did require repeated passes. Part of the problem is the lack of a really fine brush at floor level and the included attachments don't address this particular drawback.

The cord is long -- greatly appreciated when vacuuming large rooms, where unplugging and re-plugging is a pain with shorter cords. I found I had no trouble continuously vacuuming for longer periods or around furniture. With that length comes tangles though and holding the cord while vacuuming is sometimes not the best use of a hand. None of the Dysons I've owned have retractable cords and I wish Dyson would incorporate this feature into their designs. Wrapping the cord around the vacuum"s hooks is easy but retraction at the press of a pedal is a convenient feature I appreciate on my Hoover.

The included attachments are many and mostly work very well. They are what you would expect: crevice tool, small brush, angled brush, mattress brush, extender, t-shaped tool, reach under tool. I am especially impressed with the lint brush and I used it on clothing and for dusting. In one pass, I was able to do quite a bit with this small tool. The angled brush also worked extremely well and with the tube and wand at full extension, I can now vacuum the tops of our interior window frames in our floor-to-ceiling windows without a ladder. Nice! Cobwebs, begone! I have read that the vacuum includes a bag to hold all these accessories. I looked everywhere for this in all the packing materials and in the box and no such bag was included with my unit. I don't know if this was a mistake but these attachments do not fit onto the vacuum itself and a bag is a necessity.

Like other Dysons, this vacuum is not lightweight. If you plan to use it on stairs or in other places where you may be doing some lifting, there may be better options, although I don't find it terribly heavy compared to other similar uprights.

Build quality seems pretty good although some of the plastic parts seem slightly flimsy such as the connection between the canister/bin and the tube on the 'trunk'. There is a quite a bit of flex in the handle when turned side-to-side. The hind 'feet' that the unit sits up on seem too small and unsteady; getting the vacuum to stay upright initially took some balancing and I realized I have to push the handle forward quite a bit for it to click into this position and stay there. The cord is high quality, as are the handle, buttons, and the rigid housing of the canister and 'mouth' (the business end where the vacuum connects to the floor and sucks). Compared to the older Dysons I own, this one feels a little cheaper, particularly the lack of a solid 'click' when putting the unit upright and its tendency to tip and the difference in plastic. The older units are rock solid.

As I wrote above, the ball is an interesting but effective design that takes a little getting used to but it does make angled vacuuming easier and less of a chore. I found I could reach over furniture and guide the vacuum around chairs, an ottoman, a coffee table, etc. due to this design. Well done.

The big drawbacks are the size of the canister and the emptying mechanism. The canister is simply too small to be effective for most larger jobs such as vacuuming the entirety of a single level of the typical American home. I'm not an avid clean freak and I vacuum a room usually once every two weeks, so my house is not absolutely spotless most of the time. While I appreciate the length of the tube, wand, and cord for continuous vacuuming, this advantage is undermined by a small canister that has me emptying with every room. And the 'Full' mark on the canister indicates its capacity is even smaller than its already diminutive size.

Emptying is a pain. While I appreciate not having to deal with filters, there has to be a better (less messy, more hygienic) method of performing this task. I suggest an external bag fitted over an integrated nozzle that will force debris into this bag and out of the canister. But that would mean this vacuum is no longer bagless. Emptying this canister creates a mess which must be...vacuumed. Use a plastic bag to surround the canister and a mask to surround your face.

This is not a quiet vacuum. The sound it makes isn't objectionable but if noise is an issue for you, I suggest you try before you buy. I have also read that this model gets noisier over time. If I experience the same, I will update this review.

With an overall solid performance, this Dyson is worthy of the name. Especially on carpeting and rugs, suction and pick-up is excellent. Maneuverability and range are very good. Build quality is good, with some noticeable decline from earlier models -- but still strong and I expect years of problem-free use. Tools mostly work well, lack of storage is a problem, and the small canister is a serious design flaw for my style of cleaning. The Dyson Cinetic is a very solid vacuum. It's also relatively expensive and there are other brands that perform nearly as well in some aspects but cost far less. I recommend this vacuum but I also recommend that you take it for a test suck at your local electronics store.

SINGER 19" Sewing Machine Roller Bag
SINGER 19" Sewing Machine Roller Bag
Price: $140.06
2 used & new from $115.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job of protecting my machines and looks great, too. Easy to pull., March 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although I don't own a Singer sewing machine, I do own several other brands (including a serger) and all fit into this rugged, stylish roller bag mostly successfully. There are enough thoughtful touches and enough strength to move this bag well beyond a merely pretty upgrade of the typical plastic sewing machine carry case or worse, cardboard box or plastic bin.

My largest machine is a Janome 6500 P and it fits rather well: snug, and the interior velcro straps secure the machine firmly to the floor of the bag. All walls are padded although I'm enough of a worrier that I would add a thin piece of bubble wrap wrapped around the machine just to be sure. (This is a reflection of me, not a critique of the bag.) Even when tipped, the machine stayed put and didn't move around much at all, giving me confidence that if any mechanism might be affected by large, sudden movement, the bag will prevent anything from happening. The wheels are spaced widely enough that the bag has very good stability, although this compromises its maneuverability somewhat. Pulling behind me in a roughly straight line is great, though.

Inside, I found that there is enough storage for basic accessories but not more. If you plan to transport your machine to serious quilt-fests or sewing marathons, you'll likely need additional storage. You can put a smaller box on top of this bag but I would recommend only the thinnest bungee-type cording to secure it around the bottom of the bag in both directions. The pocket for manuals and other written materials is more than adequate.

The pop-up handle works very well and feels strong like it will last for years of average use. It pushes down and pops up quickly and easily yet stays in place securely. I wish the handle were slightly wider as that would give the user (well, me) a bit more control over the bag while in motion and would be more comfortable for larger hands like my own. The handles on both sides of the bag are strong and allow me to pick up the back very easily providing I've packed the machine and other contents evenly. These handles are also strong and secure, padded, and a bit on the small side.

I've merely tested the roller bag in my home and haven't actually taken it to a sewing function (I'm a guy who sews for himself here at home) but this thing looks very good -- much nicer than the carpet-style bags I see everywhere or the luggage style that look trashed after a few uses. The color scheme is handsome and gender-neutral or even somewhat masculine -- refreshing in the sewing world.

I wasn't sure what to expect but I like this roller bag very much. My Janome and my Juki sewing machine and serger fit inside, are secure and protected, and there is adequate if not ample storage for all the rest. It moves well and is easy to maneuver from the pop-up handle as well as the side handles. All this and it looks great, too. Well done, Singer.

Highly recommended.

The Invisible Undershirt Scotch, Medium
The Invisible Undershirt Scotch, Medium
Price: $34.00
2 used & new from $34.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but a very expensive solution to an overstated problem., March 27, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ordered a size medium, received a small. It's too small. The fabric is very nice: smooth, probably wicks away moisture (I write 'probably' because I cannot wear it, as it's too small), and soft. I appreciate its length, as I'm tall. The V-neck is large, so with an open collar the shirt likely lives up to its invisibility claim. The color is slightly dark for my skin and I imagine it's probably a little light for a lot of men but under a white or colored shirt, this undershirt will probably disappear if your skin tone is close.

However, for $34 as of this writing this is just too expensive as a wardrobe staple and there are similar products on the market, although not with the same invisibility. I would consider these in a $40 3-pack.

With all the Lycra and Spandex appearing in cotton jersey these days, there is a lot of competition in this market and since I mostly wear opaque dress shirts, their invisibility isn't an issue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2016 2:17 PM PDT

DII Cleaning, Washing, Drying, Ultra Absorbent, Microfiber Chevron Dishcloth 12x12" (Set of 6) - Blueberry
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Small microfiber dustcloths are perfect for what I do! Attract and pick up lint rather than produce it., March 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nicely patterned microfiber cloths in a fairly small size. They work.

One of my hobbies is working with vintage machinery, particularly cleaning and photographing. Microfiber is great for picking up small bits of dust and lint that a high-quality camera will emphasize every time in proper lighting. This lint is often produced using standard cotton and blended fabrics. A quick wipe-down with a 'lint attracter' rather than a 'lint producer' is just the thing I need to ensure my closeups are lint-free and beautiful.

This set of microfiber cloths works perfectly for my needs, as a larger size would be more difficult to maneuver into the small spaces I work with. However, if used for basic household dusting, these 12"x12" cloths might be too small.

Highly recommended!

Formula 1 517345 Premium Paste Wax, 8 oz
Formula 1 517345 Premium Paste Wax, 8 oz
Price: $12.82

5.0 out of 5 stars No white residue!! Formula 1 is now my favorite car wax., March 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great wax and I use it not only on my cars but on sewing machines. It's very creamy and smooth (be careful in taking off the top of the can!) and applies very evenly to a clean surface. But best of all, THERE IS NO WHITE WAX RESIDUE!! Because of this formulation, I will be buying this particular wax from now on. I have had to deal with white residue in every wax application until now and it is a pain to address if used on scratched surfaces. This is a great product and I'm very glad to have tried it!

I have found this Formula 1 wax is best applied in cooler conditions, as the wax stays a little more solid. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20