Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Profile for Redmond Jackson > Reviews

Browse

Redmond Jackson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 118

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Redmond Jackson "Redmond Original" RSS Feed (Cary, NC United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Overwatch - Origins Edition - PlayStation 4
Overwatch - Origins Edition - PlayStation 4
Offered by antonline
Price: Click here to see our price
39 used & new from $48.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best shooter on PS4, May 24, 2016
Keep in mind before purchasing that this is a multiplayer game only. You can play against the CPU if you don't want to play against other human players though. With that said, this game is pure crack. 21 characters that all play completely differently and are all a blast to learn. The best part is there is no leveling up characters. Every person that plays this game is on equal footing from day one until day infinity. You do earn loot boxes, but all they do is add cosmetic features. Ignore the negative reviews. They come from dummies who are mad that this game got so huge so quickly.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - PlayStation 4
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - PlayStation 4
Price: $59.00
109 used & new from $35.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Rent it. Don't buy it. Online isn't worth the price of admission., May 10, 2016
The most surprising thing about this game is how boring it is. What isn't surprising is how bad the multiplayer is (we knew that from the god-awful betas). But what makes it all worse is how slimy Naughty Dog are being with the paid-content in multiplayer. You can either get lucky and eventually get what you want, or you can pay stupid amounts of money for things that in the past we got for free. It's so stupid. But whining about multiplayer is pointless since it's not fun to play anyway. The real crime here is how utterly bland and boring the story and gameplay are. Save your money and rent it.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2016 7:01 AM PDT

Samsung Galaxy J7 Case, Profer[Anti-Scratches] and [Drop Protection] Soft TPU Gel [Ultra Slim] Flexible Premium Soft Bumper Rubber Protective Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy J7(Mint)
Offered by Profer Direct
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the money, April 2, 2016
I love my Galaxy J7 and was worried how this case would impact the feel of the device, but I needn't have worried. It feels great and also protects the back, especially the camera, when placed on a table. Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy J7 J700M 16GB Dual Sim LTE Unlocked Phone - Retail Packaging - White
Price: $234.98
5 used & new from $194.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A luxury looking phone at a budget price, March 8, 2016
If you're in the US and on ATT and are looking for a relatively inexpensive smartphone without a contract, this might just be it. I've tried some of the cheaper brands that Amazon sells. Phones intended for sale in the US from BLU, Huawei, and ZTE. All budget phones under 300 dollars. And then someone mentioned the Samsung J7 to me on another forum so I watched a bunch of videos and learned all I could. What I found was a phone far more capable at gaming that any other budget priced phone, and also a phone that happens to look quite premium. Outside of games it also performs pretty darned well. I'm very impressed.

Here's what you give up when you decide to get this phone:
- Ambient light sensor. Not a big deal to me. When I'm inside I keep my phone at about 20 percent brightness. When I go outside I use the Outdoors brightness option that this phone has and it performs beautifully. Much nicer than any of the other budget phones I've used outdoors.
- Notification light (I kinda miss this, but it's not a huge deal)
- Glass back (I don't care about this)
- backlit keys on the bottom of the phone (I would like those, but after an hour or two your brain remembers exactly where those buttons are.

The version of the phone I bought was the J700m. It's intended for use in the Americas (South and North). When you turn it on, it selects Spanish as the language for the phone, but it lets you scroll up and select English. From that point on everything is in English. Put your sim card in prior to turning it on the first time. I put my ATT sim in slot 1 (the slot to the right with the memory card slot immediately above it) and a memory card right above it and then booted up the phone. After a quick setup, I was into the phone and downloading my apps. I told Spotify to use the mem card to store music and it did it. Same for my podcast app. It's a cheap way to conserve the precious internal storage. Some other reviews of this phone at Amazon have stated it doesn't work with ATT. That's completely untrue. This version of the phone works beautifully with ATT. My LTE speeds are incredible. No problems whatsoever.

Ive never used a phone with Touchwiz on it before but I read a lot of complaints about it. Personally I love it so far. It's incredibly configurable. You can change the entire look of the phone by adding new themes, of which there are a ton of free ones on the Samsung store. Some reviewers have mentioned that the phone as a lot of bloatware. Also untrue. My phone had the usual Google apps and a couple from Microsoft (like Onedrive). There were no Game demos etc. Of the 16 gigs of internal storage, I had about 11 gig free when I turned it on for the first time.

Bottom line is that this is a great budget/mid-range phone that is built to handle the networks in the Americas. For me that means ATT. I couldn't be happier with the phone.

Update #1:
Battery life after the first few days is incredible. It only has Lollipop 5.1.1 on it but when the screen is off (especially at night), it consumes almost no battery. I sleep for about 8 hours and when I wake up, 1 percent has been used. That's amazing. My iPhone would lose 10-20 percent battery life over the same period. Again, this doesn't have Marshmallow so there's no Doze feature. This is just the native OS managing battery.

Also a cool feature that I've not seen on other phones is a manage memory app that Samsung includes. Using it clears all apps from memory and frees up as much space as possible for you. This has been incredibly useful.

Update #2: I don't use a case or screen protector. One of the knocks against this phone by some reviewers was the lack of gorilla glass and what that would mean in regards to fingerprints and scratches. Well someone tested the glass online and it had the same scratch resistance as phones with Gorilla Glass 3 do. As for being a nasty fingerprint magnet like my last phone (the lackluster Honor 5X), it isn't. In fact it's resistant to fingerprints in a way that I haven't experienced on a phone or tablet before. I'm not sure how they're doing it, but it's impressive. Every few days I hit it with a cleaning cloth, but not because the fingerprints are out of control. Just to make it look brand new again.

I'm also very pleased with the feel and weight of this phone in my hand. It feels incredibly premium despite not being a metal phone. Also, the buttons have a great feel to them as well. The more I use the phone, the more impressed I am with what Samsung has delivered here for 250 dollars. And once again, the gaming performance is tremendous and better yet is that my phone has never heated up while gaming. I also love the customizability of the theme store.

ZTE ZMax2 No Contract Phone - Carrier Packaging (AT&T)
ZTE ZMax2 No Contract Phone - Carrier Packaging (AT&T)
Offered by CASTLE (No Tax)
Price: $92.99
34 used & new from $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best Under 100 Dollar phone you can find currently, March 4, 2016
I bought this from another retailer (BB) this week for 70 dollars. I've used several cheap phones rather than paying 600+ dollars for the high-end phones that die within a year or two, and this one is hands-down the best I've used so far. I see that the MSRP is over 100 dollars, but my advice is to not pay that. If you're going to pay 120-150 for this, go 50 more and get the Honor 5X. But if you take advantage of one of the many sales and get this for under 100 like I did, it's simply the best phone for the price.

Other cheap phones I've used are the Lumia 635 and 640 as well as the BLU Life One X. The huge problem with the Lumia 640(and all other Lumias) is that they're tied to Microsoft's awful app store. If you want games and all the latest and greatest apps, stay far away from Microsoft. And that's a shame, because their OS is pretty darned good. The 640 is a 5 inch phone that can be had for 29 dollars. If all you want to do is make calls, text message and listen to Spotify(although the version of Spotify on Windows Phone stinks) it's good. The BLU Life One X is a 5.2 1080p phone that costs 150. It has a great screen and is pretty much stock Android, but it has a slew of problems. The speaker is terrible, call quality is awful, the touch-screen inexplicably stops working from time to time, which forced me to shut the phone off and turn it back on to get it to start working again. My biggest gripe with it is that whatever media player they use wouldn't remember my place in music or podcasts. So using something like Pocket Casts or Spotify results in everything being reset whenever the media player switches focus to another app to play a sound. Terrible. And BLU's support for the matter was a complete and utter joke, so I'll never buy from BLU ever again.

That brings us to the ZTE Zmax2, which I admit I'd never heard of until this week. I saw a deal for it on slickdeals at BB so I immediately went there to check it out and wow was I surprised at what I got for 70 dollars. No media playing problems. The screen has never suddenly stopped responding, and app performance has been great. It's pretty much stock Android too but it unfortunately also is loaded with a bunch of apps I don't want. Not a big deal since you can also stick in mem card if you need more space. The speaker is great and the back-lit buttons are hardware-based instead of being on the screen, so you're not wasting a big chunk of the 5.5 inch screen just for navigation. The screen is not full HD. It's 720p but it's very sharp. I wouldn't call the colors vibrant, but they're not bad. The only time the screen has been a problem is in direct sunlight. It washes the screen out completely, although still completely viewable. Indoors it's great. The battery life on this thing has been tremendous. I'm a moderate user, and I can easily get two full days of use out of this. At night when I sleep it drops about 2 percent in 7 hours. And that's without Doze, which I'm not sure this phone will ever get. It's on Lollipop.

It's not going to wow you with it's aesthetics, but it's comfortable in the hand and has a nice heft to it. If you're looking for a phone to browse the web, text, make calls, play the occasional 2D games, watch videos, or listen to music, and you're on ATT, it's hard to beat this one right now. For the price, I love it. I can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings in the low-end market. Many companies are introducing some amazing new phones for under 200 dollars. The under 100 dollar field is a lot more empty if you're looking for quality, but this phone is a real stand-out in that regard.

BLU Life One X Unlocked 4G LTE GSM Smartphone (Black)
BLU Life One X Unlocked 4G LTE GSM Smartphone (Black)
Price: $149.99
43 used & new from $127.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many negatives, February 4, 2016
Positives:
- Nice screen
- Nice form factor

Negatives:
- The media player couldn't remember my place in any podcast from the Podcast Addict or Pocket Casts apps. Or even Spotify
- The screen quite often becomes non-responsive. To the point that I couldnt even unlock the phone with a gesture
- Audio quality on phone calls is just terrible
- Plugging it into my car's aux cable greeted me with tons of static that wouldn't go away

Really disappointed that I lost over 100 bucks on this phone. I'll never trust BLU again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2016 7:30 AM PST

Apple iPhone 6s Plus 16 GB US Warranty Unlocked Cellphone - Retail Packaging (Rose Gold)
Offered by DealFisher
Price: $799.99
40 used & new from $604.36

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete ripoff at legit MSRP but especially at these reseller prices., January 27, 2016
Giving this phone 1 star for numerous reasons -
1 - the pricing here from the resellers at Amazon is ridiculously stupid. 800-900 dollars for a phone you can buy directly from Apple for 750 is straight up stupid and Amazon shouldn't allow this type of blatant price gouging.

2 - Even at Apple's own absurd price the phone is a complete ripoff. Think about it - 750 plus tax gets you a phone with 8 useable gigs of space on the phone. Once again, that's 750+tax for 8 useable gigs of space. Apple knows its fans are complete idiots, so they continue the charade of selling a high-end phone with just 16 gigs of memory (8 of which is taken up already before you get to do what you want).

3 - There are numerous Android phones that are less than half the price and run just as great or better and now the Android app store has more apps than the Apple app store. I like both operating systems, but Apple makes it really easy not to care about iOS when they charge moronic amounts of money for an under-featured phone that's got limited amounts of space to put apps, music etc.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2016 10:50 PM PDT

V-MODA Extended Audio Cable (Dark Red)
V-MODA Extended Audio Cable (Dark Red)
Price: $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars V-Moda makes the best headphone cables., January 2, 2016
V-moda makes the best cables I've ever used. They're so light, yet so strong because they're reinforced with kevlar. This cable I'm reviewing is an audio only cable. No microphone support whatsoever. My V-moda headphones came with a cable with a microphone but I needed one that didn't have one to connect to my dual shock 4 that wouldn't pass mic audio, and this was the best option.

V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Gunmetal Black
V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Gunmetal Black
Price: $299.98
12 used & new from $239.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from someone that is NOT an audiophile. Just a lover of music, games and movies, December 27, 2015
Let's get this out of the way first - I am *not* an audiophile. I merely know when what I'm hearing sounds good or not. Long story short, these headphones sound GREAT. I'll break down what I use them with and how they performed:

Gaming - I own a PS4 and play a lot of Destiny, among other games. So like many I tried numerous gaming headsets. Sure, most of them are functional, but they're also almost all universally overpriced on top of only sounding average. So imagine my surprise when I plugged my new Crossfade Wireless into my Dualshock 4's headphone jack and it didn't suck. Not only didn't it suck, but it was actually quite great. I can only imagine how much better it would be if I had a mixamp connected to the optical out on the PS4 and plugged my Crossfades into that. Regardless, if you're getting these headphones to use on the controller, just know that it sounds exceptional. For those of you who are like me that need a microphone to talk to teammates, what I bought was the Boompro. It's also made by V-moda, and it's essentially just a wire that runs from your headphones to your controller and it has a great mic on it. The mic on it is better quality than any I used from Astro, Sony or Turtle Beach.

Music - I use these both in bluetooth or wired(whenever possible because wired sounds much better) on my Macbook and on my Android cellphone. My music sounds so good now. No matter how loud you make them, they never ever distort. The bass is very strong, but unlike the Beats Studio Wireless that I also tried before hearing about V-moda, the bass doesn't overpower everything else. I also tried the M50x headphones, and those are supposedly audiophile headphones, but I got so tired listening to music with them. They're so clear and the individual instruments so pronounced that I ended up focusing more on one thing than the entire arrangement. Everything sounds more cohesive on the Crossfade.

Movies - the main reason I went with the Crossfade Wireless over the V-Moda M100s is because I have an Apple TV 4 that doesn't have an optical out port, but it does support Bluetooth audio. I initially bought a pair of Beats Studio Wireless to watch movies/netflix etc wirelessly on the Apple TV but the audio wasn't very good and any time I hit rewind the headphones lost connection. On top of that the Studios were bad at music and gaming, and used battery even when in wired mode (how dumb is that? The Crossfades shut down all the electronics for Bluetooth when a wire is connected). Pairing was quick and easy and I was incredibly happy to hear that the audio quality was nearly as great wireless as it is wired. To test it out I watched Straight Outa Compton and Mad Max. Wow. You hear everything, and the bass is thundering when explosions etc go off.

On a side note, I had issues with the first pair I got. Amazon took them back and sent me another. The second pair appeared to be used and had numerous issues as well. Instead of dealing with Amazon again, I contacted V-Moda directly and they agreed to take a look and help me out. I sent the headphones to them and they then sent me a new pair. Their support team was great to me. Huge shout out to them (Richard and David). While I waited to have my headphones replaced, I went back to using a pair of Sony Wireless Gold. Talk about night and day. When my new Crossfades arrived the other day, I couldn't wait to start using them again and to stop using the Sony. Once you're used to hearing quality audio, nothing else can suffice. I even stopped watching movies until the new pair had arrived.

Other reviews bring it up, so I'll just concur with what they said - if you buy these headphones, but the XL ear pads. I think V-moda should suck it up and just stop putting the thinner ear pads on by default. Just put the XLs on all new headphones and sell the thin ones as an add-on. The thin ones hurt my ears/head tremendously. The XL pads do not. Eat the loss, V-moda, and start putting the XLs on all of them. You'll earn so much goodwill.

HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset for PC & PS4 - Red (KHX-HSCP-RD)
HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset for PC & PS4 - Red (KHX-HSCP-RD)
Price: $88.01
188 used & new from $68.44

5.0 out of 5 stars The best headphones I've used yet on PS4 and I've tried a ton!, December 1, 2015
First things first, my review of the shipping company is 0 stars. Amazon put my package in the care of USPS and they claim they delivered it, but it never arrived. I contacted the USPS and the drive who brought it was a holiday temp who thinks he might have delivered it to a house with the same number as mine, but different address. Oy. I ended up going to Best Buy and they had the same sale price as Amazon. Amazon customer support said they'll look into refunding me, but I don't know if that will happen.

Anyway, this review is for PS4 users only. I don't game on PC, just on PS4, and I didn't know how this was going to function for me because all the reviews I read and watched stated that the USB box included is only for PC users. Guess what? They're wrong. If you plug the headphones into the usb box and then plug that into a USB port on your PS4, you get game audio and chat audio. And it sounds sooooooooo much better than what you get when you merely connect the headphones directly to the dual shock 4. The downside is the buttons on the USB box don't function. Well one button does, and it's an important one - the microphone mute switch. It works, but no other button does, so you'll need to access the system menu to control other volume settings.

When attached directly to the controller it sounds so much better than other headphones I've tried (Astro A50, Sony Gold, TB Stealth 400). Those are all wireless and were more expensive. They also can't compare in audio or build quality. Now as good as they sound connected to the controller, they sound much much better using the USB box connected directly to the PS4. As mentioned above not only does it give you a mic mute button but also much better audio.

I've used them on Destiny, GTA5, Fallout 4, Uncharted Collection, and also attached them to the headphone jack on my TV and used them to listen to music and movies from my Apple TV and it excelled at everything. The directionality in Destiny is superb. You'll know exactly where enemies are and where chests are located.

Now on to comfort. I have a big head and these fit like a dream. They're so incredibly soft. Best of all, unlike the cheaply made Sony Gold and TB Stealth 400, they're made of metal and aren't going to just crack and fall apart from normal usage.

If I had one complaint it's that the headphone wire isn't removable. That's a minor quibble though. If you're a PS4 gamer and you want high quality audio, get these. You can also get the Hyperx Cloud 1, which I'm told are of the same quality, but they have less padding on top and they also require more wires to function, but you'll get volume and mic mute buttons. Unfortunately those won't plug into the USB port on your PS4.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12