Profile for James P. Brett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James P. Brett "Publius" RSS Feed (Valrico, FL United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Did Adam and Eve Really Exist?: Who They Were and Why You Should Care
Did Adam and Eve Really Exist?: Who They Were and Why You Should Care
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars "Preaching to the Choir", March 11, 2014
A friend recommended this book to me. I thought it would be an examination of the evidence for and against the idea that Adam and Eve actually existed on this planet. Instead, I got the impression that the author had already decided this, and went about supporting his case. I should have realized this sooner, seeing as how the author is an evangelical Christian. I will look elsewhere for a less opinionated source.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2014 1:51 PM PDT

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting ideas, December 21, 2013
There seemed to be two ideas the author was trying to convey: what the actual Jesus who lived on this planet was like, and how Christianity started. The book is well referenced. He makes a pretty convincing case that modern Christianity is based more on the teachings of the apostle Paul than it is on Jesus. The book will inspire you to do more research.

Collusion: How the Media Stole the 2012 Election---and How to Stop Them from Doing It in 2016
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $13.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly biased, July 24, 2013
About 10-12 years ago, I was a big fan of L. Brent Bozell and his Media Research Center. I was also once in an email exchange with his co-author here, Tim Graham. If you're looking for an objective review of the 2012 presidential race, look elsewhere. As I was reading, I kept thinking "what race was this guy watching"? Something that never came out in this book (why would it, given its pretty naked objective of attacking "liberal media") was how the mainstream media care only for one thing: $$$$. The media, in my view, actually enabled Romney. Why? Because the media want a horse race. That generates more interest. Bozell's effort to blame Romney's loss on the media is absurd. Obama could have been had, that's for sure. He could have been beaten. But Romney wasn't the right candidate (though was probably the GOP's best shot) and didn't have the right "message". That's closer to the truth as to why he lost, not due to some "collusion" between Obama's campaign and the media. Please Brent, come up with something else.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

Patriocracy
Patriocracy
DVD ~ Bob Schieffer
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $11.36
19 used & new from $6.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Partisan rancor, June 17, 2013
This review is from: Patriocracy (DVD)
I agreed with Bob Schieffer's comment about never seeing such polarization within the Congress; I've been following politics for over 40 years, and I can't remember when it's been this bad before. The film seems to be a little more biased against Republicans/"The Right", but I think that's because the far right has a little higher profile than the far left. One of the best parts of the film was how they explained the difference between real news programs, and commentary or "entertainment". That's a big one, since many people are getting their information from "entertainment" sources. A second point is the money in politics, which I think most would agree contaminates the process. Politicians on bothe sides seem to be more interested in pleasing their benefactors than the people the represent. No matter where your politics lie, you should take a look at his documentary.

Guns (Kindle Single)
Guns (Kindle Single)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Common sense, March 17, 2013
Very insightful and enjoyable read. This country needs to have a wake-up call, and this book may be a start.

The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage
The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage
by Greg Gutfeld
Price: $17.56
239 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A polemic, plain and simple, November 29, 2012
Full disclosure: I read a sample of this book on my Kindle, and I could barely finish the sample. I would say that if you're a fan of Fox News, then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this book. To me, the jokes were very adolescent, and what came across was a palpable sense of whining. I had no idea who Mr. Gutfield was, but the title of the book sounded interesting. I was sadly disappointed. You'd probably have to be a dyed-in-the-wool conservative to put up with this book until the end. I once included myself in that number (check some of my older books reviews and you'll see). If Mr. Gutfield's objective was to persuade others to his view, he fails miserably. I'd actually give this 0 stars if that were an option.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2013 12:31 AM PST

The Backlash: Right-Wing Radicals, High-Def Hucksters, and Paranoid Politics in the Age of Obama
by Will Bunch
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a balanced look, January 4, 2011
While Will Bunch is a fellow with the left-leaning Media Matters for America, I thought that this book was a fairly balanced look at the "backlash" against the election of Barack Obama. There are certain parts where I cuold detect some bias, but Bunch did his best to just report on what he heard and saw from people in groups such as the "Oath Keepers", the "9/12 Patriots", and the "Tea Party". As he points out, much of the rhetoric coming from the far right is, I think most average Americans would believe, quite "unhinged", "over-the-top", and certainly "paranoid".

Bunch also discusses the phenomenal rise of Glenn Beck, and why his message seems to appeal to certain people. If you're truly an "independent" (as I think I am), then you'll probably find this book fascinating.

Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror
Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror
by Michael Scheuer
Price: $22.21
423 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't get this side of the story from TV, February 22, 2005
Did Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda attack us because they "hate our freedom and democracy"? Amazingly, a great many people in this country would answer 'yes' to that. Mr. Scheuer's livelihood was made as a CIA analyst who studied the Middle East. With the type of information he had access to, he relates how US foreign policy vis-à-vis the Middle East has affected the opinions -- and the lives -- of Arabs.

Mr. Sheuer says, and rightly so, that bin Laden has been quite consistent in his reasons for waging war on the West, and the US in particular, and those reasons have nothing whatever to do with "hating freedom" or wanting to "destroy Western culture". Mr. Scheuer predicts a protracted, bloody struggle -- unless there's a change in US foreign policy (and, so far, we have seen no indication of that). I suppose many in this country would say that Scheuer is just another person who "blames America first"; these would be the same people who "don't care what the Muslims think". Mr. Scheuer provides great insight into "why we are hated".

I thought that some of his remedies contradicted positions he took earlier in the book, and he does make some blanket assertions that I think aren't right but, overall, this book is a must-read for those who truly want to understand the roots of Islamic terrorism.

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
by Al Franken
1031 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoable read -- even for a Republican!, January 6, 2005
I know I'm echoing some of the other reviews here, but I just couldn't put this book down! I've never been a big fan of Franken's, but he's a pretty good writer I'd have to say.

Franken goes after some of the big "talking heads" of the right -- Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, and Sean Hannity; he mentions Rush Limbaugh too, but he already devoted an entire book to him.

I think most will enjoy Franken's fictional Vietnam story. I haven't laughed that well in a while! The "Supply Side Jesus" made some good points too.

Of course, the main thrust of the work was to expose how right-wing pundits aren't 'purveyors of truth'. Franken is at his best in dissecting the statements of Sean Hannity, the over-the-top hysterics of Ann Coulter, and the 'spin' that Bill O'Reilly actually puts into his show. I would certainly recommend this book to fans of these three -- if only to discover how you're being taken.

Terrorism and Tyranny: Trampling Freedom, Justice and Peace to Rid the World of Evil
by James Bovard
97 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, April 5, 2004
At times this book was very tedious, but in the end very eye opening. The book is listed at 448 pages, but that includes over 100 pages of references/notes. Mr. Bovard is very meticulous and appeared, at least to me, to be just laying out as many facts as he could, then letting the reader draw their own conclusions. There's a great deal in here that may surprise you -- maybe even rub you the wrong way if you're a strong supporter of the current administration. The chapter "Iraq and the War on Terror" is very insightful and timely, in light of what is currently going on over there. Again, Bovard doesn't prescribe any remedy -- he leaves that to the reader. You owe to yourself to become more knowledgeable about the policies our government has engaged in/is engaged in -- in our name -- around the world, and what effect, if any, the current policies to address terrorism may or may not have.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4