Profile for Alana > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alana RSS Feed

Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
by Jamie Oliver
Price: $24.55
152 used & new from $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious-looking recipes and an approachable style, June 16, 2010
I just got this cookbook in the mail today after waiting three long days for it to arrive. Immediately I jumped in to find a recipe for tonight's dinner, and I settled on the potato and onion bake recipe and the garlic crispy chicken. As for these recipes, they were delicious. I never thought I could enjoy potatoes without gobs of butter and cheese, but this dish was wonderful with just a few ingredients: potatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, vegetable broth, salt and pepper, and a couple pats of butter broken up on top during baking. The chicken was very good as well.

I honestly can't find more than maybe two things in this book that I wouldn't be interested in trying at least once. The pictures of the finished products are mouth-watering, and I really appreciate the step-by-step pictures that are included with every recipe as well. It really helps to clarify where I may be unsure about how thin to slice or what my chicken breading is supposed to look like. As a typical American anglophile, I love Jamie's obvious enthusiasm and his British sayings and humor. You can really tell that he is passionate about food.

I am a beginner cook and I feel that all of the recipes here are doable. I can't wait to try another one.

Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - Xbox 360
Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - Xbox 360
Offered by UltimateDiscountsCANADA
Price: $24.23
33 used & new from $6.47

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this game..., May 13, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I was so excited when I heard this game was coming out--I'm not really a gamer at all and the only game I ever played on my boyfriend's XBox was the game it came with : Legoland Indiana Jones, and I loved it! I actually found it challenging but doable (I'm 22 so that should tell you something about my skills). I was almost disappointed when I beat it. So when I heard they were making another one, I was stoked. I realized after only about one evening playing it that no matter how hard I tried, I could not get into this game and found it a little boring and tedious.

1. There is a race in just about every level you do. I suck at driving in video games but in this game in particular. The controls are so fiddly that if you accidentally move a little too far to one side your vehicle hits something and flips over and you have to wait for it to flip back over. It's especially frustrating when you flip over in a pond or something because usually the vehicle won't right itself. It's just like spinning your tires in the mud in real life, except it's more irritating than real life because it's supposed to be a fun video game. Also, I hate the little race challenge things where you have to go through the targets, because, again, the driving in this game is really fiddly--even more so than the original. So the races are tedious AND frustrating... fun!

2. The game freezes... a lot. I'm glad to see that other people have this problem and it's not just our XBox.

3. You don't collect treasure chests in the levels, and the levels are much smaller. There are hardly any puzzles or secrets at all, which was what I loved about the first game and what made it so great. There is nothing really to unlock, no surprises... except car races ad nauseum. Sometimes I would be doing something that I thought would be a puzzle but then the game just... handed it to me. The puzzles seemed dumbed down.

4. The setup of the game is a mess. I like to watch the progression of the Indiana Jones stories but in this game you can unlock any level at any time in its particular movie's hub. You don't really get to see the iconic moments in the movies the way you want because you can go do the bridge fight first and then go to another level and jump out of the plane on the liferaft. It's just not the same. A lot of times I didn't even see what the level had to do with the movie at all.

5. I forgot the one other huge aspect of the game--defeating enemies. If you're not doing a car chase, you're fighting a bunch of enemies, and once you defeat those enemies... the game gives you another batch of enemies. Really repetitive.

The game is still enjoyable to a point. I would guess that if you had never played the first game you would like this game a lot. But if you've played and loved the first you can see what you're missing in this one. The levels are still pretty to look at. Indy still does cute things, but I don't think he can do the whip-kiss with Marion, Willie, and Elsa. What I was most disappointed about was that the two parts of the first game I liked the least were brought front and center in this game and the part I loved most was almost eliminated completely.

Like I said, I wanted so much to love this game, but I just couldn't. I hope Harry Potter delivers.