Profile for D. Martin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Martin RSS Feed (APO, AE United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
World of Warcraft - (Obsolete)
World of Warcraft - (Obsolete)
Offered by MorningStar2
Price: $15.75
281 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game and better than EQ2, December 22, 2004
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As someone who has played many MMORPGs I felt compelled to respond to this post.

First off World of Warcraft (WoW) is an awesome game, the best MMORPG I've played but people ask me how does it compare to Everquest 2. In development Everquest 2 (EQ2) was highly anticipated and I really wanted to play. This was before I heard of WoW so my attention and anticipation were focused on EQ2.

For EQ2 I have a 20 Fury and a 17 Crusader still active. Leveling in this game is very tedious and boring and one really has to rely on other players to help, it's very hard and slower to try and solo and with some of the quests it's darn near impossible unless one is several levels higher than the level of the quest (which means no or little experience while killing monsters in the quest)

People say well it's a MMORPG and community is everything; I tend to disagree with this while community is a good thing knowing I can work independently too is very very good.

Also if you like playing healers (like me) in EQ2 you can't heal someone while not grouped this goes to raisind dead people. This stinks because sometimes it gives me great satisfaction to be able to help someone who is about to die. This is community too.

Lag in EQ2 is very very bad, sometimes it gets you killed or prevents you from healing others in time before they are killed. This is not an issue with just my system because it's pretty my system good and almost everyone I talk to playing EQ2 has this problem.

Also money in EQ2 is very frustrating to obtain. Nuff said!

In WoW I have a level 12 druid and I am free to level how I deem fit. I can help people, group, go solo, and money doesn't seem to be a big problem because if I have to grind for quick cash I can without dying a lot.

Not nearly as much lag and usually I don't get any.

Finally, if you're going to pay monthly for a gaming service it should be fun. If I were to pay to do something tedious and boring I'd go volunteer myself to some mundane corner of society that needs people that like being bored and frustrated.

EverQuest 2 - PC
EverQuest 2 - PC
Offered by Just 4 Games
Price: $9.95
37 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars An excercise in tedium, December 22, 2004
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EverQuest 2 - PC (Video Game)

First off I played in both the EQ2 and WoW open betas and subscribed to both games after launch.

Also money in EQ2 is very frustrating to obtain. Nuff said!

Not nearly as much lag and usually I don't get any.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2010 4:45 PM PST

Temple of Elemental Evil Bonus Map - PC
Temple of Elemental Evil Bonus Map - PC

1.0 out of 5 stars This is total BS, October 28, 2003
For a game that costs almost 40 bucks they have some nerve charging 9 bucks for a dumb map.

One From the Vault
One From the Vault
38 used & new from $6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues for Allah As It Should Have Been, November 25, 2002
This review is from: One From the Vault (Audio CD)
Way back when, before "Dick's Picks" or the "Vault" series, there were bootlegs. For the uninitiated bootlegs are tapes of shows fans would record and distribute (hopefully) freely. This show in particular was a favorite bootleg amongst heads. There are several reasons for this, one of them being it had the best version of "Sugaree" out there but mainly because if fully captures what the studio album "Blues for Allah" couldn't; the energy of a live Dead show just short of feeling the vibe itself, yet still maintains some of the technical complexity of the original studio recordings.
Of course this is way better than any bootleg and worth the twenty bucks!

Living with the Dead: Twenty Years on the Bus with Garcia and the Grateful Dead
Living with the Dead: Twenty Years on the Bus with Garcia and the Grateful Dead
by Rock Scully
Price: $14.69
51 used & new from $7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Managing Perspective, November 23, 2002
This book doesn't really represent the music of the Grateful Dead - it's from the perspective of Rock Scully, one who managed them for their first twenty years - not performed with them.
Does this book tell of the Dead's drug abuse? If your looking for something that doesn't then you're not interested in their history - drug abuse was the foundation of their music. It was through Ken Kesey's "Acid Tests" where they developed their "devil may care" approach to performing.
This book explains why the Dead weren't radicals because all that mattered to them was performing, but it doesn't get too much into technique, just things like: why Phil Lesh plays the bass like a lead guitar, why Bob Weir struggled to learn electric guitar, how and where Jerry Garcia learned the pedal steel guitar, why Kreutzmann and Hart are a drumming dichotomy, and why Pigpen hated playing psychedelic music.
If you liked Tom Wolfe's "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" then you'll enjoy this one too.

Grateful Dead - View from the Vault II
Grateful Dead - View from the Vault II
DVD ~ Grateful Dead
Offered by btrdev
Price: $40.90
39 used & new from $2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Show, November 5, 2002
Excellent show captured on video. This video stands out..what can I say - not only an awesome rendition but you can tell the guys are having fun performing them. You almost get that feeling of being there and in on the fun...it enhances the Dead's psychedelic appeal...I think this ones better than the first "View From the Vault."...

Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead - England '72
Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead - England '72
19 used & new from $19.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Europe '72 v2.0, November 2, 2002
As someone who has listened to the Dead for the past 24 years this collection is like a breath of fresh air. For one thing it has one of the best live "Uncle John's Band" I've ever heard and also because of the awesome "Truckin'/Drums/The Other One/El Paso/The Other One" that will blow you away.
The reason I only gave this four stars is because the music here is largely unrefined. This is a good thing for most Dead Heads but for people trying to get into them it's not--buy "Europe Tour '72." If you listen to that one first and can't seem to get enough then buy this one.

Live / Dead
Live / Dead
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $10.13
98 used & new from $0.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Stage Presence, October 25, 2002
This review is from: Live / Dead (Audio CD)
Although not a complete show (as most enthusiasts prefer), this recording stands out mostly for its historical significance. This was the first successful attempt to capture the essence of a live show and share it with most of the world who had never seen them on stage--it was the stage that made them legendary not the recording studio. Subsequently this recording helped in the later successes of "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead."
For me this one is special because it was my first experience, way back when, with "Dark Star" a classic the withstands the test of time.
"Turn on Your Love Light" is the full length version that was shortened for their first greatest hits album, "Skeletons from the Closet." I'm sure this was to make it more attractive for the radio. When one hears the full version one wonders why someone would ever think of cutting it!

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Dimension Collector's Series)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Dimension Collector's Series)
DVD ~ Kevin Smith
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $12.47
540 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars In this world gone mad..., September 1, 2002
This movie is definately not for everyone. The language alone would make some of you cringe, but I enjoyed it just the same-watched it three times over a long weekend. The jokes may be somewhat crude but people with an open mind can catch Kevin Smith's drift.
These guys are like a neo-Cheech and Chong but more likable.
Don't watch this with your kids, please.

Ladies & Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead
Ladies & Gentlemen: The Grateful Dead
30 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rolling Thunder, July 22, 2002
For me the late Filmore East performances were the Dead's finest and this collection captures some of the essence of these legendary shows. This is a culmination of the sound developed in the 60's when Ron "PigPen" Mckernan was still strong. This is less refined then Europe 72 but that was meant to be released and this was not. That's what makes this so good.
The reason I titled this Rolling Thunder is because this CD clearly demonstrates why The Dead got that nickname, especially with "Morning Dew." Although (I feel) the best version of "Morning Dew" was played on April 28th 1971, the one here is almost as good. The song has a haunting, driving melody that isn't there in later versions (compare with Europe 72 to get my meaning).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3