Profile for Brent in Bismarck > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brent in Bismarck RSS Feed (ND USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Hilti 2075614 457D 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder Kit with Dead-Man Switch
Hilti 2075614 457D 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder Kit with Dead-Man Switch
Price: $193.50
3 used & new from $169.76

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 30 minutes, August 25, 2013
I used this grinder for 30 minutes before the motor died. Otherwise, still looking like new, I returned it to Amazon for refund.

Sony MDREX36V/BLU EX Earbud Headphone (Blue) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony MDREX36V/BLU EX Earbud Headphone (Blue) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Have 4, 1 died after 6 months, August 14, 2013
Although I have had one set of these fail, I still feel that for the cost they are excellent. I purchased my first set about 3 years ago and those are still going strong. My most recent purchase just failed. I would give these Sony earbuds 5/5 stars, but now, with the failure, it's 4/5. Based on the reviews of others, I would have to say your mileage could vary, but clearly most people have good luck with them.

I just ordered another Sony MDREC36V/BLU replacement for the failed unit.

Anker® USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter [ASIX AX88179 Chipset, USB to RJ45, LED Indicator, 18 Months Warranty]
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Only USB 3 network adapter I could find that support CentOS/Linux, August 14, 2013
This is a great, robust device. It looks similar to the Linksys 300M (which is Not USB 3 compliant), but its construction is superior, thicker shell and heavier cord. I'm using this under CentOS/Linux. It took some time to track down the ASIX AX88179 Linux Driver to make it work. Google "ASIX AX88179 Linux Driver" if you looking for it from the ASIX support site.

Update: Since I wrote this review I have an update on Linux support. Early in 2013 the ASIX drivers were submitted for inclusion in the Linux Kernel. This means that if you use a recent kernel (something like 3.10 or higher), Linux directly supports the AX88179 chipset.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2014 7:52 AM PST

Linksys USB Ethernet Adapter
Linksys USB Ethernet Adapter
5 used & new from $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic device, Anker Uspeed is bettter, August 14, 2013
There is nothing wrong with the Linksys USB network adapter, except, it should be USB3 and it is not. I'm using this under CentOS/Linux. It took some time to track down the ASIX AX88179 Linux Driver to make it work. Google "ASIX AX88179 Linux Driver" if you looking for it from the ASIX support site. Note, the current mainline Linux kernel 3.10 has the drivers, on most distros, with a little effort, you can install the current mainline kernel which is more straight forward than compiling the ASIX drivers.

The Anker Uspeed USB 3.0 is about the same price, has a more robust construction, is USB 3 compliant and uses the same chipset (ASIX AX88179). The two devices in pictures look similar, but the Anker device has a heavier shell and thicker cable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2013 12:44 PM PDT

GAMO PBA Platinum Pellets .22 Caliber Pellets (50 Count Blister Pack)
GAMO PBA Platinum Pellets .22 Caliber Pellets (50 Count Blister Pack)
Price: $15.89
12 used & new from $9.41

5.0 out of 5 stars FAST and straight, August 13, 2013
This pellet packs big punch! From my experience, about double the knock-down power of standard lead .22.

NOTE: Based on other reviews it is apparent that others have ordered this without knowing what it is.
Most pellet guns are .177 cal .... this pellet will not fit a typical pellet gun! It has to be a .22 cal pellet gun. I can't speak for whether is will work in a non-Gamo pellet gun, but they work great in my Gamo.

When compared to 0.177 cal pellets, .22 cal pellets are heavier, slower and typically do not break the sound barrier. Therefore, the shot is much quieter (no "crack"). Because the pellet weighs more it packs more punch. In particular because of this pellet's shape and hardness it penetrates better than a lead pellet.

Intel BXSTS100C Thermal Solution LGA1366 for 2-Socket Servers/Workstations - Combo
Price: $34.30
69 used & new from $26.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical solid Intel product, August 5, 2013
I have used dozens of these in 2U servers and they work great, no muss, no fuss. 130W of cooling per processor. The price on Amazon w/Prime shipping, is the lowest cost anywhere. Not sure why another review had so many issues. Socket 1366 motherboards aren't up to Intel spec unless this fan screws on without modification/parts (it includes thermal paste on the chip contact surface).

CMVision-IR200 - 198 IR LED Night Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 400-500ft IR Illuminator w/ FREE 12V Power Adapter
Offered by cmvision
Price: $79.95
5 used & new from $74.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for Bright light, March 14, 2013
For about a month, I have used 3 CMVision-IR200 units for night time surveillance of a construction site. During this time, outdoor temperatures have ranged from 0-45F. My units are installed under an eve, therefore protected from being directly exposed to the elements. These lights will cast light over 100' so they are perfect for my needs. If you are looking to light an area 50-200' away they are great. On the other hand, if you are looking to illuminate an area < 50' away they could be too narrow and/or too bright.

The unit comes with a cord/connector (female) that is about 10" long, a power adapter that has about 6' of low voltage cord (male) and then a male adapter stub. The connectors supplied have no weather proofing so I would not trust them outside, even when sheltered they are bound to gather moisture, oxidize and fail. I opened the unit, clipped the wiring and made my connections inside the unit, ran 30' of low voltage wire inside, then clipped the connector on the power adapter and wire-nutted it all together.

Temperature Alert/Alarm for Freezer & Refrigerators
Temperature Alert/Alarm for Freezer & Refrigerators
Price: $14.41
8 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Branded under multiple names...., January 16, 2013
Updated Review:
This product is sold under multiple product names. Since the time I wrote my original review, the branded product name that I put all my pictures and commentary against is no longer around. Be aware that this unit alarms for both too warm and too cold and you cannot adjust the set point of those temperatures.

Original Review:
FreezerAlert is also branded at the "CDN Audio Visual Refrigerator Freezer Alarm". There are further reviews and pictures there.

Note the unit alarms when the freezer temperature is "too low", lower than -23C/-9.4F.
Comment Comment | Permalink

CDN TA20 Audio Visual Refrigerator Freezer Alarm
CDN TA20 Audio Visual Refrigerator Freezer Alarm
Offered by OneCountryShop Inc
Price: $7.99
16 used & new from $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Freezer alarms when colder than -23C/-9.4F ?, January 15, 2013
This unit sells as the Roadpro Freezer Alert and the CDN Audio Visual Refrigerator Freezer Alarm. It would not surprise me if it sells under other brand names.

For the price, the unit is reasonable value. Unlike others, I have no complaints about the how loud the alarm is. No you will not hear the alarm from upstairs if the your freezer in the basement or in the garage, but at least if you are in some proximity to it, you definitely will hear the alarm.

My issue, as others have stated, is the warning temperature range. That range is documented on the unit as Fridge 2C to 8C / 35.6F to 46.6F and Freezer -9.5C to -23C / 14.9F to -9.4F. There is a switch to control whether the unit is in Fridge or Freezer mode. The alarm will go off if your freezer is colder than -23C/-9.4F. My freezer is -10F so the alarm goes off. There is no way to adjust these settings other than the Fridge/Freezer switch. In order to work around this problem, I have found that top of the freezer (I have an upright unit) near the door seal isn't as cool as the rest of the freezer. If you are not interested in the alarm feature, you can turn it off and the unit becomes a very nice digital temperature display.

Not surprisingly, the suction cup is useless, I think that should be obvious, suction cups and frost and temperature change do not get along. I have secured my sensor and wire with hot glue-gun glue, I'm sure there are plenty of other methods that would also work.

Finally, as a general recommendation for anything you "depend on" with batteries, put lithium batteries in the unit. Not because it uses up batteries fast, just because I believe the less you have to change batteries in any warning device, the better. In the long run it does save $.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Hubbell Outdoor Lighting SO-W S-Series Motion Sensor, White
Hubbell Outdoor Lighting SO-W S-Series Motion Sensor, White
Offered by eLightBulbs
Price: $28.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 14 months, December 3, 2012
I run a motion sensor to control my front garage outdoor lights. This sensor worked great for about 11 months, then the day light sensor stopped working which resulted in the lights coming on when motion was sensed during the day. Finally, the unit "stuck on". I turned off the power to the unit for a few hours and turned it back on, the lights just came on and stayed on. The behavior of the Hubbell sensor follows the reliability of almost every sensor that I have tried regardless of price. I just return them on warranty and replace them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5