Profile for Marg Ruttan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 109

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marg Ruttan "Marg Ruttan" RSS Feed (Edson, Alberta, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Retro Saturday Night Dinners
Retro Saturday Night Dinners

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Excellent Recipes, March 3, 2012
When I saw the recipe for Red Flannel Hash I was surprised. I didn't think many people still ate cornbeef hash. We love it and have it often. This recipe is a bit different from the one I usually use but it was excellent when I made it a couple of nights ago for our supper. Red Flannel Hash is one of those wonderful quick and easy meals you can make in less than half an hour.

I also have tried the Salmon Loaf. I used freshly cooked salmon instead of canned salmon and it was delicious. I grew up eating fresh salmon and have never been able to acquire a taste for the canned variety so I never use the canned. This recipes worked perfectly well with the fresh variation.

We have been making Oven Stew with tapioca in it for years. I think it must have been back in the early 1970s when my Mom made it for the first time and we still make it today. It's excellent and you can just put it in the oven and more or less forget about it for about 3 hours. That means you're freed up to do other things.

This is an excellent little cookbook overall and it certainly does evoke memories of the 50s and 60s.

International Best Selling Cookbook Author

Bake Like A Pro Volume 2 - Scones, Buns, Chocolate Cake, Carrot Cake and Pancakes (Bake Like A Pro with Judith Stone)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Collection of Recipes, February 24, 2012
I must admit, I collect cookbooks...lots of them. So when I saw this book I was impressed and purchased it. I'm glad I did. There are many excellent recipes in the book and they all appear to be fairly easy to create and they certainly look appealing. I'm fortunate to be able to look at a recipe and tell fairly well whether it will work well, be tasty and not waste my time in the kitchen. The recipes in this book fit that bill. Judith has done an excellent job of providing clear instructions and solid recipes. I highly recommend this book.

Quick & Easy Meals
Quick & Easy Meals

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cookbook, February 24, 2012
I like cookbooks that have quick and easy recipes, but the recipes also have to be tasty and appeal to my family. This cookbook provides that in spades. I have made several of the recepies in the book with excellent results. I have enjoyed using this book and will continue to do so. If you want simple but delicious meals this is an excellent book for that purpose.

International Best Selling Cookbook Author

Recipes To Lose 20 Pounds Fast!
Recipes To Lose 20 Pounds Fast!

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Want to Lost 20 Pounds, This is a Good Place to Start, February 22, 2012
I bought this book because I wanted to explore the recipes. They are excellent. The author has substituted wisely and has created a book with some recipes that I will definitely try. Actually, when I read the recipes I realized that you don't have to want to lose weight to use them. They're good recipes for anyone, whether you're watching calories or not.

30 Delicious No-Bake Icebox Cookie Recipes
30 Delicious No-Bake Icebox Cookie Recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars What Great Cookie Recipes, February 17, 2012
When I was a kid my Mom made tons of icebox cookies...and she didn't have a refrigerator! She would make them in the late fall through to early spring when she could cool the dough in our dairy (the place where milk got separated and food got stored). Once chilled, she'd bring the dough into the kitchen, slice it up and bake yummy cookies.

My favorite was Cherry Icebox Cookies and she made me lots of them, especially around Christmas time. When I grew up and began cooking myself, I often made Icebox Cookies of one sort or another. They are easy to make, bake and freeze well and are really delicious. I had never heard of either the Cinnamon Sugar or Lemon Pecan recipes before but they both appeal to me and I'll definitely be trying them in the next few days. I love to bake so it will be fun to try these two new recipes and my husband will love having the cookies around.

This is a great book with wonderful recipes. Another winner for Lori!

Money Savings Blueprint: Slash Hundreds From Your Bills Every Month
Money Savings Blueprint: Slash Hundreds From Your Bills Every Month

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Advice You Can Apply Today, February 16, 2012
While this book may not be 300 pages, it is packed with great information on how to save significant amounts of money. I found the information on the Magic Jack especially helpful and will apply that within the next few days. My favorite saving idea was the information on saving on your property taxes. I had never even thought about that and it is worth its weight in gold.

As I was reading this book I made notes of all the different things I need to check up on and do to start saving a hefty chunk of change and I was amazed at how many items were on my list. Now I have to start taking care of those things.

If you are wanting or needing to save money, get this book and most importantly, apply the principles discussed within its covers. You can save a significant amount of cash if you apply all the ideas Bryan shares.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2012 1:00 AM PST

Delicious Desserts: Amazing Low-Cal Favorites (Guilt-Free Gourmet)
Delicious Desserts: Amazing Low-Cal Favorites (Guilt-Free Gourmet)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars These Recipes Really Are Guilt Free (Well Almost), February 16, 2012
Lisa has written a book with some excellent recipes for desserts that are lower in calories than an average dessert and best of all, they sound delicious. I have only tried one of these recipes yet, the Raspberry Buckle. I absolutely love raspberry and we make a blueberry buckle, so when I saw this recipe I just had to try it. It is awesome. It turns out very similar to the blueberry buckle I make but the flavor of raspberry beats blueberry any day.

I will be trying the Cheesecake Brownies too. What's not to like about that combination? I read this book all the way through and I found quite a few recipes I'll make in the future. The book is well organized and formatted and the recipes have clear, easy to follow instrucitons. The ingredients in the recipes are mostly things you're apt to have around the house also, so that's a benefit.

Overall, I think this is an excellent book.

International Best Selling Cookbook Author

Low Carb Southern Country Cooking Recipes (Slap Yo Momma Southern Cooking Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Low Carb Recipes, February 13, 2012
I fell in love with the very first recipe in this cookbook - the one for Cheeseburger Casserole. It sounded delicious so I made it. And it was delicious. We loved it! I was surprised by all the different types of recipes in this book, from meals to desserts. Many of the dessert recipes use Splenda, which I find works well in baking. It isn't quite as good as sugar, but it certainly is a lot better for you, so I do try to use it in some of my baking.

The Guilt Free Cheesecake is awesome. With a blueberry or strawberry sauce it really is a lovely dessert. I highly recommend it.

If you're looking for recipes that are low in carbs, look no further, this book will get you started on the path to low carb eating.

Quinoa Recipes For Weight Loss: Health and Weight Loss Recipes
Quinoa Recipes For Weight Loss: Health and Weight Loss Recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes, February 13, 2012
This cookbook has some really interesting new recipes to try. It gives a broad overview of the many ways quinoa can be used with delicous results. Sarah obviously enjoys cooking healthy meals and quinoa certainly falls into the category of being a healthy food.

Because I love muffins I tried the Quinoa & Banana Muffins. They were excellent, so now I have another muffin recipe to add to my collection. They were easy to make and they sure disappeared in a hurry. Obviously my gang liked them! The next thing I will try is the Coconut & Quinoa Pudding. That sounds yummy.

If you're looking for a way to make healthier recipes, you'll find this cookbook useful and I'm sure you'll use it again and again. The recipes are easy to follow and the instructions are clear. All in all, a great little cookbook!

International Best Selling Cookbook Author
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 12:12 PM PST

And Baby Makes Three; Now What Do We Do? The Step-by-Step Guide to Taking Care of Your New Baby
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for First Time Moms, February 13, 2012
I wish I had this book when my first child was born! It would have been really helpful! Suzanne has written a book with very useful information for any new Mom. So often when we read about motherhood the books tend to paint a rosy picture. Suzanne provides an honest, balanced look behind the scenes of being a new Mom.

When Suzanne talks about her first baby crying for 8 months I can surely relate! My second child had colic for 8 months and I thought I'd go nuts. It was the feeling of being helpless to make her feel better that was the challenge. I felt so badly that I couldn't seem to help her. However, both she and I survived and got through it!

I particularly can relate to singing to and talking to your baby. We joked in our family because I talked to our kids all the time. They all talked very early on and the joke was that they did so in self defence. I didn't mind being made fun of over this, however, because maybe it really did help them to learn to talk faster! Who knows? I also sang to our babies all the time and it seemed to be the most soothing thing I could do. They all loved it.

Suzanne has provided some excellent tips about how to calm crying. I've used most of them and can say that they usually work quite well. She presents simple, easy-to-apply ideas that anyone can try.

If you're having a first baby get this book. Or if you know someone who's having their first baby, this book would make a really awesome, inexpensive gift. I highly recommend it and plan to give it to my granddaughter, who's having her first baby in May.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11