Profile for Terry Mesnard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 457

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terry Mesnard RSS Feed (Bellevue, NE)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
You: A novel
You: A novel
by Zoran Drvenkar
Price: $20.93
70 used & new from $10.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, slow burn page-turner, September 23, 2014
This review is from: You: A novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been trying to figure out exactly what to say about You by Zoran Drvenkar. I've written this paragraph a couple times. The truth is, I don't know what to say, exactly. At its core, You is a typical thriller involving three different groups of individuals who inadvertently end up crashing into each other. It's about revenge, lies, death and drugs. It's about a Mafioso-type family. It's about a serial killer. It's about a group of young women who end up getting caught up in something way above their understanding. It's about unreliable narrators. It's about fate, in some ways. Above all, it's one of the most enthralling novels I've read in sometime.

But You makes you work for it. For a lot of readers, You is not an easy read. Going into this novel, you have to realize a few things. It's written in the second person perspective, putting you directly in the shoes of multiple characters, as if you are that character and Zoran is writing about you. It's a translated novel from German to English. And it's told non-linearly, with events spiraling back around from a different perspective. I bet--and judging from some of the reviews here, it seems to be true--some people won't be able to get through the first few pages. But there are novels that require a bit more investment from their readers. A lot of times that investment is paid in great dividends. You is one of those novels.

On the surface, You is a crime novel about three different groups of people. But it begins by putting you directly in the shoes of an individual named The Traveler. The Traveler is a sociopathic murderer, patient and methodical. In the opening section, Zoran puts you directly in his shoes as he murders a bunch of people stuck in a snowy traffic jam. These particular chapters are uneasy to read because it places you in the character's head; as if you were the one performing the murders. Next, we're introduced to a group of Berlin criminals led by a man named Ragnar. Ragnar's brother has been found dead and his piles of pure heroin are missing. He wants to find who did it and do unspeakable things to them. Up next, we have a group of teenage girls, who are incredibly loyal to each other. One of their friends has been out of contact for a while and they are worried about her. These three disparate groups eventually converge on each other in surprising and violent ways.

In the Authors Thank You page, Zoran thanks George R.R. Martin for his writing, particularly in the way it taught Zoran. Even though You is not a fantasy novel and in many ways feels completely divergent to A Song of Ice and Fire, the first thing I thought of when I started reading You was Martin. The chapters are titled after the point of view of the character and the story is told from their (your?) perspective. You is told out of order, with scenes and sequences crisscrossing over each other, showcasing events from different perspectives. It's never boring and each time it does it, it provides smaller twists to the story. It's quite an intriguing way of putting you in the action and Zoran masterfully unravels the story slowly. It's a slowburn build to the climax, but it's never boring. It's also subtle in spots, presenting scenes and then allowing you to, at times, piece together the timeline. It doesn't hold your hand. Some people will be turned off by this, particularly with the slow burn aspect of the storytelling. But it's a very rich story and the way its told helps add pathos and dimensions to the character. It's been a very long time since I've seen someone attempt a second person narrative, but Zoran does a fantastic job of putting you in the character's shoes--sometimes, uncomfortably so--and allowing you to get wrapped up in the story. Special mention must absolutely be given to Shaun Whiteside, the translator. In many ways, the translator is the most important person in presenting the story. And You is never choppy. It flows elegantly and if I didn't know better, I would never expected it to be a translated work. That's the best kudos I can give to Whiteside.

I think this novel will be divisive, particularly among people who go into the book thinking it's simply a fast-paced, beach-reading thriller; like a James Patterson or a Dean Koontz, maybe. You is thrilling, but it simmers along the surface. I was leery selecting it, more leery when I got it but was absolutely blown away. It grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go. It's probably one of the best books I've read this year.

Wasteland 2 - Classic Edition [Online Game Code]
Wasteland 2 - Classic Edition [Online Game Code]
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic dose of nostalgia, September 23, 2014
Wasteland 2 isn't the most forgiving game, when you're being introduced to it. I spent a good 2 and a half hours or so, with my premade party of people, going through the game, passing by a bunch of opportunities, running low on ammo and basically getting my ass kicked before I decided to restart from scratch. It's a game where you won't know the importance of specific skills and attributes until you've dug into the game a bit. It doesn't hold your hand, during character creation. Which can be problematic when you're expected to carry these individuals along a 70 hour+ game. After spending about 3 hours in the game, I had a good feel for what I should and shouldn't do when creating my characters.

Early on, I had problems with ammo because two of my people were using the same weapon and ammo was scarce. I was reduced to wielding makeshift machetes, which I wasn't trained in, futilely against the most ridiculously hard mutated bunnies. Restarting gave me a better chance by spreading out the types of weapons my four-person team had, and really think about the skills and how to spread them out so that I could open that random safe we passed or disarm that alarm on a fence before disarming the bomb that was attached to it...before finally unlocking it. The game is unforgiving. And if you don't have an understanding of what to do, particularly in the early game, you will run into the same frustrations I had.

Compounding this is the fact that some of the skills seem split just for the sake of being split. Is fixing a toaster really that much different from fixing mechanical devices? Do we really need two different skills? Likewise, if you're trained in bladed weapons do you really need to have a second skill for blunt weapons? Isn't the death-dealing mechanism really the same, whether you're slashing someone or bashing them?

Once you get past these little details and unforgiving speed bumps, you can really appreciate the love and care that went into building Wasteland 2. The game is full of world-building flavor. Click on most things and you'll get a witty anecdote or informational snippet. Honey Badgers don't care. Chests might be a treasure trove. Bodies have been hacked to pieces. Doors...are like all doors you've seen. The descriptions are oftentimes funny or caustically snide. Characters are full of dialogue, both of the exposition and of the world-building variety. The world feels huge. Your skills oftentimes combine in glorious ways as you make your way around the zones. Exploration-happy people, of which I consider myself, will find a lot to discover.

Combat, where you'll be spending a lot of your time, feels like a mix of the new XCOM and old school turn-based strategy games. You can go into an overwatch-like stance (called Ambush here) to attack enemies when they come close. Guns have different firing modes. Guns also open different playing styles. It feels a little slower than the new XCOM. And it lacks some of the inventive skills (like being able to jump to higher vantage points) of XCOM but it also maintains that nostalgic feeling of ye olden strategy games.

The story is pretty typical. You play four new recruits to the Desert Rangers. Ace, one of the experienced rangers, was found dead and General Vargas sends you on a task to find out who killed Ace, why they did it and then continue his mission. Of course, the story builds from there and takes you to a myriad of locations. Along the way, you'll have to make decisions that will affect your missions. One of the first things you'll do is have to choose whether to save the Agricultural Center from a mutated plant attack or Highpool which is under siege by raiders. You can't save both. You'll have to choose. These types of decisions carry forward as you progress. At times, you won't realizing you're doing something bad until it spirals out of control and you feel like you're in the movie Fargo.

Wasteland 2 is another in a line of nostalgic-fueled Kickstarted projects, like the upcoming Pillars of Eternity or Torment. They take established products and either build on them or heavily reference them to the point of "spiritual successor." Wasteland 2 is an exercise in nostalgia, there's no way around it. And some of its gameplay is stuck in the past. To some, that is perfect. To others, it might be annoying. But what Wasteland does, it does perfectly. It encapsulates this style of game and can be so addictive, if you let it. I highly recommend it.

Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black
Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black
Price: $249.95
8 used & new from $249.95

5.0 out of 5 stars If used as intended, you will have a fantastic time with them., September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first Bose speaker/headset and they surprised with how awesome they are. They pair quickly and easily with my iPhone, my iPad and they worked wonderfully. The sound quality is crystal clear, with booming lows and perfect highs. With 15 hours of play time, they last for a good amount of time before requiring a charge. That's better than a lot of wireless headsets I use on my PC.

The biggest caveat I have to give before I go into my review breakdown is that they work perfectly until you try to do things that they aren't truly made for. I was hoping I would be able to pair these headsets with my PC to use when I game and for talking to friends through Ventrilo/Mumble/etc. They paired easily and quickly with my Bluetooth adapter. The sound quality was pretty damn impressive while I played games. I'm used to using 7.1 virtual surround sound wireless headsets, so my expectation of sound is pretty high. While obviously not as "immersive" as the 7.1 virtual headsets, the Bose pumped out fantastic sound that accentuated the highs but also had fantastic depth for the lows. The problem with using them for the PC came when I tried to talk to people. Because the headsets are meant for mobile pairing, there's no software/driver support that I could find. The mic would not work. I spent a good hour trying different things to try and get it to work and it lasted for about 5 minutes before not working. This was incredibly frustrating for me, but again I can't put fault on the device. It's made to work with mobile Bluetooth pairing and, for that, it works exceptionally well.

When I review headsets, I look at a few different areas: 1) Comfort 2) durability 3) sound quality and 4) Mic quality.

Comfort

This headset is incredibly comfortable. I have a bigger head and a lot of times I go through a period where the headsets feel like a vice grip until they loosen up and get used to my head. I didn't really have that problem with these. They are lightweight in design and the ear pads are comfortable. They aren't noise-canceling and they don't engulf the ear. They lay against them, but I didn't find my ears being pressed back too hard. A lot of times these types of headphones will smash my ear to my head and grow uncomfortable. I didn't have that problem with these.

Durability

Considering how lightweight and bendable these headsets are, they feel surprisingly durable. The speakers fold in and the bands fold up, so you have a smaller storage requirement. They come with a small container and at first I didn't think they would fit in there. But they fold up and easily fit in the small bag.

Sound Quality

This is the big one and they sound fantastic. Like I mentioned above, the range is great, the lows are booming but not overbearing and the highs sound fantastic. From watching movies to playing games to listening to music, they sound fantastic.

Mic Quality

Considering this doesn't have a boom mic and the mic is positioned on the outside of one of the speakers, I was worried the sound quality wouldn't be very good. Aside from the problem I mentioned above where I couldn't get it to work with my PC, the mic works very well. It doesn't work as well as a boom mic would; however, for the miscellaneous call that comes through while you're listening to music, it works fine.

Overall, this is a great headset. The Bose-quality sound is definitely evident and it's both comfortable and durable. I was really hoping it'd be an end-all headset I could use while gaming/talking on my PC and out and about. But for those looking for a good mobile headset, I don't think you can do much better.

The Deep
The Deep
by Nick Cutter
Price: $20.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good B-horror buoyed by a great writer, September 8, 2014
This review is from: The Deep (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is something about underwater laboratory/society stories that just speaks to me. Whether it's the alien-influenced Sphere or the giant shark/animals of The Trench, cinematic masterpieces like The Abyss or critically acclaimed video games like Bioshock, I am a glutton for these stories. It doesn't even matter how good they are (i.e., The Trench, Leviathan, Deep Star Six). There's something mysterious and, yes, foreboding about deep sea. It's such a perfect location for horror because while it's terrestrial, but it's as closed off, uninviting and dangerous as space exploration. It's also completely alien and unexplored. Enter The Deep, an upcoming novel by Nick Cutter. Cutter has a bit of an edge over other new horror authors because his last book received a seal of approval from Stephen King. King really enjoyed The Troop (a novel I have since added to my Kindle to read) and while Uncle Stevie and I sometimes don't see eye to eye with his suggestions, you can't simply ignore the master of modern horror's recommendations.

The Deep begins with some world-building. Earth has been pretty decimated by an unknown disease called the 'Gets (shortened from Forgets, I assume). What started as something similar to Alzheimer's has turned into a terrifying disease that causes people to forget everything. It might start as forgetting an important date like an anniversary but, by the bitter end, the poor victim completely forgets how to breathe. The heart forgets how to pump and the person will eventually die. No one knows how to combat it. No one is completely sure how it spreads. There's no cure. Enter into this picture, two brothers. One, a brilliant and coldly calculating and compassionless scientist named Clayton. The other is Luke, a veterinarian whose son vanished one night and completely destroyed his family and his life. Clayton has been doing top secret work in an underwater lab, deep in the Mariana Trench. But, as things happen in these types of novels, communication gets shut down and no one knows exactly what's going on under the sea. To make matters worse, one of the scientists has surfaced, dead, with recent scars covering most of his body. And there's a message, seemingly from Clayton, asking for his brother to "come home." And so Luke ventures deep into The Trieste, the super expensive undersea laboratory that...might become his tomb! Dun dun dun.

I'm pretty partial to these types of stories. But truthfully, there's more terrible ones than good ones. The Deep could have very easily been dumped into the first category. I mean, it pretty much screams B-quality horror when you look at it. The chapters are only a couple pages long and usually end with a minor cliffhanger to keep you reading. The prose is simple and unwieldy (the more to get you reading, my dear) and it's filled with stock characters. There's Alice (who goes by Al, natch), the military badass. Luke is the compassion-filled brother who can never live up to his brilliant brother. The brother, Clayton, is your typical compassionless scientist. You know the kind in these books. He names the animals he tests on, but refers to them as "it" and "subjects." All he cares about is the puzzle and being the one to solve it. Then there's the mysterious substance that's at the center of the mystery. Termed Ambrosia, this substance seems like it could be a cure-all for everything, including the 'Gets.

What elevates this novel past a lesser horror novel is that Nick Cutter has a command of the plot. It moves quickly, yes. But Cutter knows how to build suspense. The way he describes the claustrophobia and intense darkness of undersea can transport you there. There are moments of complete terror in this book, particularly towards the end when it veers into Clive Barker territory, that had me wide-eyed and page-turning. It doesn't matter that the story is implausible. If an author can teleport you to that place and make you forget, even for a little bit, that the premise is ridiculous, you know you are in good hands. I could not put The Deep down. I received it on a Friday and it was done by the end of the weekend. The final few pages made me feel as if we're not done with the world Cutter created. In some ways, this book feels like the first part of a series. I think this is an author that we'll be seeing a lot of down the road. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read The Troop.

Contigo Purity Glass Water Bottle, 20-Ounce, Greyed Jade
Contigo Purity Glass Water Bottle, 20-Ounce, Greyed Jade
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent glass bottle, September 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using a Camelbak Groove for the longest time to get my water needs. I think the Camelbak Groove is the best water bottle I've ever used, partially because of the filter but also because of the leak-proof nature of it. This Contigo Purity Glass Water Bottle is just that: a glass water bottle. Some people will appreciate that over plastic. Others will find it a bit cumbersome because it's shatterproof glass (which is heavy), it's covered in rugged silicone (which is bulky) and when you put water in, it's obviously heavier. To me, this isn't a carry everywhere type of water bottle. It's more of a stationary bottle (like if you were doing yoga or something). That said, it's a very attractive and modern-looking bottle. I've gotten compliments on it. And as a water-delivery-device, it works about as well as you'd expect it to...

So not as good as my Camelbak, but still, for someone looking for a glass water bottle, I can't complain.

Belkin Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen and iPad mini, 4 Feet (White)
Price: Click here to see our price

4.0 out of 5 stars Your mileage may vary, August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I guess I have to put out the disclaimer of buyer-beware. Reviews seem to be all over the map on this one. I can only write my own personal experiences with it. When I was offered to test this out, I almost passed on it. I like to stick with whatever company my product belongs to (in this case Apple) instead of going for an "off-brand." Even though Belkin is a known company and I've purchased things developed by them, I still tend to be leery. But I ran into a problem. A common problem, it seems. I have an iPhone 5 and the new iPad, and I've been relying on one charging cord for about three months because the cord that came with my iPhone 5 eventually stopped working. It started fraying around the area where the cord meets the lightning connector. At first, it was pinched and I had to move the cord around just right to continue charging. Then it just started falling apart. With the new iPhone just around the corner (hopefully) I didn't want to drop a huge amount of money on a new charging cable since I'd be presumably getting one when I upgrade.

So I took the chance on this one. A lot of the reviews are negative, suggesting some of the same problems I noted above. Well, those are problems I had with the Apple-created charging cable. So, you win or you lose. For what it's worth, I don't have any of those non-compatibility errors and it charged my iPad really nicely. Also, the cord seems a bit thicker than the Apple one, so I hope that means I won't run into any of the stripping problems that caused it to fail last time.

Bowflex 7559BOW Caloric and BMI Scale
Bowflex 7559BOW Caloric and BMI Scale
Price: $39.48
23 used & new from $32.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful and helpful, August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This scale is fantastic for a variety of reasons. It's priced competitively, but it also offers a multitude of options and functions that I'm not used to in a scale. For the longest time I've used the EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale and have liked that one, for its no-frills use and modern style sensibilities. So there's the standard things you'd expect; the scale is very accurate, within .2 lbs. If you're looking for a scale to be more accurate than that you....might have a problem. It will work up to 350 lbs, which is less than my previous scale but a non-issue for me.

The scale also measures BMI, which is something I have started looking at once I joined a kickboxing fitness gym here. The BMI calculator on the scale is more of a wag, honestly. It's not as accurate as the machines devoted to BMI tracking; nor was it as accurate as the BMI scale at my gym. But it will give you a ball park figure. One of the nice features is that it has the ability to set 8 different profiles, so it will track 8 individual weights and progress. You tell it your height, age, activity level and how much weight you want to lose and it will track it for you. It'll also give you a calorie range you need to eat to maintain your current weight.

There's a lot of information right within your grasp and presented easily and helpfully. I've gotten a lot of use out of my previous scale but switching to this one seems a no-brainer. I'd definitely recommend it.

Margaritaville DM3500-000-000 Bali Frozen Concoction Maker, Gray
Margaritaville DM3500-000-000 Bali Frozen Concoction Maker, Gray
Price: $388.76
2 used & new from $384.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mother of All Margarita Makers, August 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sometimes the stars align and you receive the perfect product at the perfect time. About four years ago, when I moved into my new place, I purchased the Margaritaville DM1000 to celebrate with friends. That was a fantastic purchase that made the most consistent and tasty margaritas this side of going to a professional place. I have since gotten a lot of use out of that one. So when I was given the opportunity to test out the new DM3500, I immediately jumped on it. This was a case of perfect timing because a friend was having her annual end-of-summer party and, while I was afraid the machine would come after it, the DM3500 was delivered the day before. Serendipity. Small story aside, needless to say the new Margaritaville machine got put through its paces all day/night Saturday. With so many working parts here, I was a little leery of diving right in but I have to say that the DM3500 is the best Margaritaville machine I've ever used...and my friends at the party want one, too.

It's very large and intimidating, but setup is a breeze. The basic function of the machine remains the same as previous models. The ice container on the top perfectly shaves (or crushes...but more on that later) the ice, while the blender mixes up the ingredients and combines the two. This model differs from the other models in a couple areas. The first is that it has four settings: daiquiri, margarita, piña colada and smoothie. The guide explains what should go into each setting. Because the margarita setting is supposed to be more liquid products (i.e., not fruit) we stuck with the daiquiri setting for making our margaritas which expressly said it included fruit. We ended up "testing" the daiquiri setting and the piña colada setting most of the day. There was a difference in the ice levels and the ice consistency between the two settings. The daiquiri setting is most reminiscent of the Margaritaville machines I've used in the past, with a nice shaved ice and has the consistency of slushies. The piña colada setting, though, actually crushed the ice it seemed and it wasn't as smooth. But it worked for what most people know of piña coladas. It also changes how much ice is in it. The guides come with sample recipes, too, and we basically followed them for perfect-tasting drinks.

The second change is that this machine does the best job actually mixing the ice and ingredients together. My previous model sometimes required me stirring the drink together because sometimes the ice on the top didn't get mixed in perfectly. The DM3500 does it in sections. It blends, shaves the ice, blends some more, shaves more ice, blends some more. The setting determines how much ice gets pumped into it (with the piña coladas using pretty much the entire ice reserve for a full container) and each time it was perfectly mixed. The third big change is that this model has a spout that guests simply place their glass against and the machine whirls to life, blending/mixing up the drinking and pushing it up the pipe (that also mixes it as it goes) and through the spout. One guest said, "well I guess I can't sneak a drink with this machine...".

My friend was right. If there's one complaint about this blender, it's that it isn't quiet. It's very loud. That said, the blender is about as loud as you would expect a blender to be and the ice shaver is tossing ice cubes around so it's not exactly a subtle device. It's about as loud as previous Margaritaville machines I've used. But that's about the only negative thing I can say about this device. The pitcher holds 60 ounces, so it holds a lot more than my previous model which means there's less time spent preparing drinks and more time actually enjoying them. It blends the drinks more perfectly than any other machine I've used and is the most automated of the devices I've seen. When I saw the price tag, I blanched; but for the individual who constantly entertains and wants a nice machine, this is, hands-down, the best margarita-maker I have ever used.

My recipe for the strawberry margarita:

7 oz tequila
4 oz triple sec
1 container (about 12.5 oz) frozen strawberries with sauce (aka sweetened)
Few scoops of frozen limeade (~1/4 of the frozen tube, give or take based on personal taste)

Use this with the full pitcher setting and you got yourself a party.

Contigo SnapSeal Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Mug, 20-Ounce, Gunmetal
Offered by MICARRODECOMPRAS
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's hot...almost too hot., August 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not really sure if I got the same product as everyone else. Or maybe I'm just not as picky. I'm always on the look-out for new travel mugs. I tend to use them all for coffee to drink at work. I'm kind of a coffee snob and work coffee just doesn't cut it. So when I was offered the opportunity to try a Contigo travel mug, I had to jump on it. I've been using it for about a week now and when I went to look at other reviews, I was surprised by a lot of people discussing the lid. I don't have the biggest nose ever, but I also don't have a small one. And I don't seem to have any problems drinking from this. In fact, it's sitting in front of me and as I was reading other reviews, I took a sip to remind myself if I'm just not caffeinated enough to form a coherent thought.

The lid does pool coffee into the space between your upper lip and bottom lip. This is true. But is true of pretty much any travel mug I've ever used. I'm guessing this is a problem if the liquid is hot because it will scald your lip...but I gotta think, do you really want to have that scalding liquid go into your throat in the first place? Wouldn't that scald your throat just as much as your lip? I guess the point is: don't drink scalding liquid?

At any rate, I haven't had a problem with the lid and I think it's a valid complaint from other reviews...I guess I'm just not picky or I'm always purchasing the wrong travel mugs. My biggest complaint (ironically) and one that does kind of feed into the complaints with the lid is that this mug is almost *too* good at keeping the coffee hot. Scalding coffee in, a couple hours later scalding coffee out. I've learned to leave my French Press coffee out a bit longer than normal before putting it in the travel mug.

My other only real comment is that while the lid is top rack dishwasher safe, the mug isn't...or is, depending on what you read. The instructions that came with it says that unpainted mugs can be safely dish washed. But the bottom of the mug says "hand wash." So, to be safe, hand washing it is.

Overall, a great travel mug. Works wonderfully, keeps the coffee hot (almost too hot) and has a nice sleek look to it. Your mileage will vary with the lid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2014 8:29 AM PDT

Samsung SL-C1810W/XAA Wireless Color Printer
Samsung SL-C1810W/XAA Wireless Color Printer
Price: $229.99
38 used & new from $171.93

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very nice printer that has an incredibly quick and easy setup, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice printer that has an incredibly quick and easy setup. I was up and wirelessly printing in a matter of minutes. Toss the CD into the drive, hook the printer up with the included printer cable for a one-time wireless set up and then you're good to go. In terms of ease setting things up, it wasn't as easy as the Epson WorkForce WF-7520 that had a lot more control options on the actual printer.

In terms of options, this Samsung has all the ones you could probably hope for. It uses Near Field Communication (NFC) for printing directly from devices that have that function (like your phone). In fact, you can update your printer settings with the NFC function on your phone, which is a very nice addition since it lacks a lot of the onscreen functions I'm used to with the Epson. In terms of doing, you know, the actual printing, this printer is a beast. It pops pages out incredibly fast and with amazing colors. It definitely feels as quick and responsive as the printers made for our offices at work. It's pretty fantastic.

The biggest "problem" is that the printer uses toner cartridges...very large and expensive toner cartridges. According to the information provided by Samsung, the black toner will work for, on average, 2,500 pages while the color toners will last approximately 1,800 pages. So they pump out a lot of pages for the toner, but when you need to replace them don't be surprised at the cost. They are expensive, as evidenced looking here at Amazon.

Overall I've been using this printer for over a month and it works perfectly. I've not had a single hiccup or any problems with it. Pages are brilliant in color and fast. Just beware of sticker shock when you go to replace the toner cartridges.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20