Profile for Terry Mesnard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 450

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terry Mesnard RSS Feed (Bellevue, NE)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Margaritaville DM3500-000-000 Bali Frozen Concoction Maker, Gray
Margaritaville DM3500-000-000 Bali Frozen Concoction Maker, Gray
Offered by Concept Kitchen
Price: $499.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mother of All Margarita Makers, August 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sometimes the stars align and you receive the perfect product at the perfect time. About four years ago, when I moved into my new place, I purchased the Margaritaville DM1000 to celebrate with friends. That was a fantastic purchase that made the most consistent and tasty margaritas this side of going to a professional place. I have since gotten a lot of use out of that one. So when I was given the opportunity to test out the new DM3500, I immediately jumped on it. This was a case of perfect timing because a friend was having her annual end-of-summer party and, while I was afraid the machine would come after it, the DM3500 was delivered the day before. Serendipity. Small story aside, needless to say the new Margaritaville machine got put through its paces all day/night Saturday. With so many working parts here, I was a little leery of diving right in but I have to say that the DM3500 is the best Margaritaville machine I've ever used...and my friends at the party want one, too.

It's very large and intimidating, but setup is a breeze. The basic function of the machine remains the same as previous models. The ice container on the top perfectly shaves (or crushes...but more on that later) the ice, while the blender mixes up the ingredients and combines the two. This model differs from the other models in a couple areas. The first is that it has four settings: daiquiri, margarita, piña colada and smoothie. The guide explains what should go into each setting. Because the margarita setting is supposed to be more liquid products (i.e., not fruit) we stuck with the daiquiri setting for making our margaritas which expressly said it included fruit. We ended up "testing" the daiquiri setting and the piña colada setting most of the day. There was a difference in the ice levels and the ice consistency between the two settings. The daiquiri setting is most reminiscent of the Margaritaville machines I've used in the past, with a nice shaved ice and has the consistency of slushies. The piña colada setting, though, actually crushed the ice it seemed and it wasn't as smooth. But it worked for what most people know of piña coladas. It also changes how much ice is in it. The guides come with sample recipes, too, and we basically followed them for perfect-tasting drinks.

The second change is that this machine does the best job actually mixing the ice and ingredients together. My previous model sometimes required me stirring the drink together because sometimes the ice on the top didn't get mixed in perfectly. The DM3500 does it in sections. It blends, shaves the ice, blends some more, shaves more ice, blends some more. The setting determines how much ice gets pumped into it (with the piña coladas using pretty much the entire ice reserve for a full container) and each time it was perfectly mixed. The third big change is that this model has a spout that guests simply place their glass against and the machine whirls to life, blending/mixing up the drinking and pushing it up the pipe (that also mixes it as it goes) and through the spout. One guest said, "well I guess I can't sneak a drink with this machine...".

My friend was right. If there's one complaint about this blender, it's that it isn't quiet. It's very loud. That said, the blender is about as loud as you would expect a blender to be and the ice shaver is tossing ice cubes around so it's not exactly a subtle device. It's about as loud as previous Margaritaville machines I've used. But that's about the only negative thing I can say about this device. The pitcher holds 60 ounces, so it holds a lot more than my previous model which means there's less time spent preparing drinks and more time actually enjoying them. It blends the drinks more perfectly than any other machine I've used and is the most automated of the devices I've seen. When I saw the price tag, I blanched; but for the individual who constantly entertains and wants a nice machine, this is, hands-down, the best margarita-maker I have ever used.

My recipe for the strawberry margarita:

7 oz tequila
4 oz triple sec
1 container (about 12.5 oz) frozen strawberries with sauce (aka sweetened)
Few scoops of frozen limeade (~1/4 of the frozen tube, give or take based on personal taste)

Use this with the full pitcher setting and you got yourself a party.

Contigo SnapSeal Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Mug, 20-Ounce, Gunmetal
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's hot...almost too hot., August 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not really sure if I got the same product as everyone else. Or maybe I'm just not as picky. I'm always on the look-out for new travel mugs. I tend to use them all for coffee to drink at work. I'm kind of a coffee snob and work coffee just doesn't cut it. So when I was offered the opportunity to try a Contigo travel mug, I had to jump on it. I've been using it for about a week now and when I went to look at other reviews, I was surprised by a lot of people discussing the lid. I don't have the biggest nose ever, but I also don't have a small one. And I don't seem to have any problems drinking from this. In fact, it's sitting in front of me and as I was reading other reviews, I took a sip to remind myself if I'm just not caffeinated enough to form a coherent thought.

The lid does pool coffee into the space between your upper lip and bottom lip. This is true. But is true of pretty much any travel mug I've ever used. I'm guessing this is a problem if the liquid is hot because it will scald your lip...but I gotta think, do you really want to have that scalding liquid go into your throat in the first place? Wouldn't that scald your throat just as much as your lip? I guess the point is: don't drink scalding liquid?

At any rate, I haven't had a problem with the lid and I think it's a valid complaint from other reviews...I guess I'm just not picky or I'm always purchasing the wrong travel mugs. My biggest complaint (ironically) and one that does kind of feed into the complaints with the lid is that this mug is almost *too* good at keeping the coffee hot. Scalding coffee in, a couple hours later scalding coffee out. I've learned to leave my French Press coffee out a bit longer than normal before putting it in the travel mug.

My other only real comment is that while the lid is top rack dishwasher safe, the mug isn't...or is, depending on what you read. The instructions that came with it says that unpainted mugs can be safely dish washed. But the bottom of the mug says "hand wash." So, to be safe, hand washing it is.

Overall, a great travel mug. Works wonderfully, keeps the coffee hot (almost too hot) and has a nice sleek look to it. Your mileage will vary with the lid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2014 8:29 AM PDT

Samsung SL-C1810W/XAA Wireless Color Printer
Samsung SL-C1810W/XAA Wireless Color Printer
Price: $292.99
33 used & new from $231.23

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very nice printer that has an incredibly quick and easy setup, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice printer that has an incredibly quick and easy setup. I was up and wirelessly printing in a matter of minutes. Toss the CD into the drive, hook the printer up with the included printer cable for a one-time wireless set up and then you're good to go. In terms of ease setting things up, it wasn't as easy as the Epson WorkForce WF-7520 that had a lot more control options on the actual printer.

In terms of options, this Samsung has all the ones you could probably hope for. It uses Near Field Communication (NFC) for printing directly from devices that have that function (like your phone). In fact, you can update your printer settings with the NFC function on your phone, which is a very nice addition since it lacks a lot of the onscreen functions I'm used to with the Epson. In terms of doing, you know, the actual printing, this printer is a beast. It pops pages out incredibly fast and with amazing colors. It definitely feels as quick and responsive as the printers made for our offices at work. It's pretty fantastic.

The biggest "problem" is that the printer uses toner cartridges...very large and expensive toner cartridges. According to the information provided by Samsung, the black toner will work for, on average, 2,500 pages while the color toners will last approximately 1,800 pages. So they pump out a lot of pages for the toner, but when you need to replace them don't be surprised at the cost. They are expensive, as evidenced looking here at Amazon.

Overall I've been using this printer for over a month and it works perfectly. I've not had a single hiccup or any problems with it. Pages are brilliant in color and fast. Just beware of sticker shock when you go to replace the toner cartridges.

Sleep Innovations Adapticool Memory Foam Pillow, Standard
Sleep Innovations Adapticool Memory Foam Pillow, Standard
Price: $40.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Hard + Too Soft = Just Right?, June 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a side sleeper, I have been on the search for a comfortable, but supportive pillow for...well, a very long time. I tend to destroy pillows, it seems like, and, being a side sleeper, I want something that supports my neck but isn't a brick. I started looking into memory foam pillows since they seem like they would be the best bet for a supportive, firm but not hard pillow. I purchased the Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper ,Standard because it received a lot of good reviews, particularly in reference to being a side-sleeper pillow. And it supposedly kept its cool, a feature I would love. That item was a brick. Seriously, I'm pretty sure it could be used as a weapon, it's so heavy. But it was very supportive and thick enough a side sleeper. Except for the comfort level...because it's a squishy brick. It is so firm and heavy that I found myself using another pillow on top of it for comfort.

Because of that purchase, Amazon offered me this pillow to try and while it's definitely a lot softer and more comfortable than the last pillow, it is not good for a side sleeper. It's too thin. The picture looks thicker but it's not. And it's so soft and fluffy that when I put my big head on it, it sinks too much and offers absolutely no side support. It does do a decent job of keeping cool, though.

So I was presented with a Goldilocks problem. My first memory foam pillow is way too hard to be used on its own. This one is way too soft and thin. But when I combined them? Just right. So I'm not exactly sure what to score this one as. But together, I have a fantastic pillow.

Brutal Youth: A Novel
Brutal Youth: A Novel
by Anthony Breznican
Price: $18.92
56 used & new from $9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as great as it should have been., May 15, 2014
This review is from: Brutal Youth: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had the perfect opportunity on a road trip to tear into Brutal Youth. When you're zooming across the Western side of Nebraska, it's nice to have something to pull your attention from the boring plains. I'm glad I had this period of time to read Brutal Youth because I'm not so certain I would have finished it. I don't mean to slight it, but it is a bit more exciting than staring at the plains. In fact, Brutal Youth opened surprisingly with a kid on the run, escaping kids and adults through St Michael school. This violent episode immediately caught my attention at the brutality of what was happening and the inept staff that allowed it to come to this. But our attention is quickly diverted to Peter Davidek, our main protagonist, who is starting school the say day that the other kid caused so much craziness.

For most of the book, I couldn't put it down as author Anthony Breznican keeps things moving as we see the loves, betrayals and bullying that happens in school. Wisely setting it in the early 90s, it evokes a time when hazing was more popular and no one had cell phones to take pictures or record what was happening. Breznican also does a good job of setting up stereotypes with its stock characters and then showing a bit more behind them, rounding them out a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't really see much of a point to the novel. There's no real thread of plot that continues through the book, other than "this is Peter's freshman year." It felt more like little vignettes were presented throughout, sometimes surprising, other times completely on-the-nose. I enjoyed it throughout, but by the end I didn't really see the point. Bullying is bad and destroys what should be the best times of our life. There's a moment at the end that's supposed to be surprising and it should have tied everything together, but in the end, it just felt like another vignette and didn't really pull everything together.

I enjoyed Brutal Youth, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

You Should Have Known
You Should Have Known
by Jean Hanff Korelitz
Price: $26.00
36 used & new from $13.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't do it., April 17, 2014
This review is from: You Should Have Known (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Okay, I'm going to be honest with you. I have not finished this book. I've tried, reader, I've tried. But I just cannot get into it. The protagonist is Grace Sachs, a therapist. Her husband is a pediatric oncologist at a major cancer hospital. Grace wrote a book entitled You Should Have Known, which warns women to listen to what the men in their lives are actually telling them. Well, as you know, you can't write a book in a novel without it somehow unravelling and showing that the protagonist just didn't understand what she was telling other people. Particularly if the novel within the novel is entitled You Should Have Known. Obviously, Grace should have known. Before the book is published, everything goes to hell.

Like other reviewers have written, this books is exceedingly passive. It's hard to get to know Grace and even though most of the novel is insight into her mind, she basically flees town and doesn't return. I thought this was going to be a psychological thriller, but most of the thrilling moments happen off page and are usually just alluded to.

I can understand that there's readers who will get more enjoyment out of this novel. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them.

South Park:  The Stick of Truth - Playstation 3
South Park: The Stick of Truth - Playstation 3
Offered by marvelio
Price: Click here to see our price
73 used & new from $22.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and a true South Park game, April 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Licensed properties are almost uniformly bad. They are usually rushed, buggy and just plain terrible. Take a look at the South Park game on the N64 for a good example of a terrible game version of a hit TV show. This stigma has been kind of changing recently, with the Lego series doing a decent job and, more importantly, the Arkham games and the amazing games Telltale has been creating off of other intellectual properties. Into this fray, we have the new South Park game, The Stick of Truth. And while it comes from a well-known developer, Obsidian also doesn't exactly have the best track record in terms of new IP. They're usually known for making "That other Fallout game" or "The other KOTOR." So I was trying to calm my excitement for the new South Park game because of the history of this type of game.

Turns out my fears were unfounded. South Park: The Stick of Truth is an absolute blast and is as hilarious and irreverent as the TV show.

You start the game as the mute "New Kid." Your family moved to South Park to escape something in your past. You're immediately sent out to go play and meet the kids of town and you run into Butters. Pretty soon, you're brought to meet the Grand Wizard, Cartman, and are quickly embroiled in an all-out war between the humans (led by Cartman) and the Elves (led by Kyle) for the titular Stick of Truth. This being a South Park story, there's another, more sinister plot happening behind the kid's fun and eventually the two stories intertwine in hilarious and sometime unexpected ways. Along the way, practically every character imaginable shows up and there are often sight gags or items that show up from the show. Some characters show up in unexpected ways. Towards the end of the game, I was wondering, "Where's Big Gay Al?!" And then, boom. The humor is just as biting as the TV show and, like the movie, tears into the medium of video games. It makes fun of the mute hero and other game clichés. It's hilarious. Some of the levels are absolutely brilliant, too.

At the beginning of the game, you choose a class from Fighter, Thief, Mage or Jew and each class comes with its own specific abilities. But any class can use any weapon or armor. You can customize your character by spending points in their class-specific skills and you can also put points into perks. This allows you, with the combination of weapons and armors, to create a character that plays how you like. It's a very simplistic system, but it's fun. And I'm glad that weapons aren't class-based because it gives you the flexibility to play as you like. The combat system plays like the Mario RPG series on Nintendo's handheld systems. You choose your attacks and they have timed presses or some kind of active button press to get the best damage. Additionally, whenever you're attacked, you can time your block just right to ignore some damage. More complications come into play with different stances that make certain types of attacks ineffective and also shields that block damage. Overall, it's not a complicated RPG and most veteran players won't have any problems with the combat once they get the hang of the timing of skills. But, like a good licensed game should be, it's very inviting to players who normally don't play these types of games.

It took me about 12 hours to finish The Stick of Truth and I enjoyed absolutely every minute of it. In fact, this is the first game I've finished this year because I couldn't stop playing. In the end, if you love South Park, you will almost assuredly love The Stick of Truth.

Natchez Burning: A Novel (Penn Cage)
Natchez Burning: A Novel (Penn Cage)
by Greg Iles
Price: $19.59
145 used & new from $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and problematic, March 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, can we take a deep breath and say thank you that Greg Iles is finally coming back to the spotlight? It's hard to talk about his latest book without addressing the fact that he, like Stephen King before him, might not have written another word because of the horrible traffic accident. It's been five years from when The Devil's Punchbowl was published and the world has missed his talent. But Iles is roaring back with not one, but a trilogy of Penn Cage-centered novels, set in Natchez Mississippi. Natchez Burning is the first barrage in this trilogy and is probably one of the best things Iles has written...which, coming from me, is saying something.

To be honest, Penn Cage's novels were never my favorite of Iles. The first book of his I read was Dead Sleep and after being hooked into that during a cross-country flight, I quickly devoured his other novels like 24 Hours. Iles obviously has a lot of love for Penn Cage, but to be honest when I first heard the next three novels would be all about Penn, I kind of sighed. Turns out, though, that I shouldn't have worried because Natchez Burning is quite a fantastic novel that kind of feels like a culmination of everything he's written before. It meshes historical fiction, race relations, mystery and suspense all together. Natchez Burning begins in the 60s, with a horrific murder by members of a secret offshoot of the KKK called The Double Eagles. In the present, Penn's father, Tom is being accused of the murder of Viola, his once assistant who left Natchez and finally came back at the end of her life. Viola's son is the one accusing him. And this act opens up a decades-long history of violence that involves everyone in Natchez.

Natchez Burning is a fantastically-paced novel. Some of the middle gets bogged down, but for the most part it actually moves at such a brisk pace, given the fact it's over 700 pages long. Iles does a fantastic job, juxtaposing historical references with fiction to create a moving narrative that touches on everything from race, segregation, forbidden love and the quest for the truth. My biggest problem with Natchez Burning is that, for a story that's about racism and the historical context surrounding being a black person in Mississippi, the book has a dearth of strong black characters. It's interesting. There's a moment in the novel where Iles proselytizes on the concept of white privilege. He seems to get the idea that as a white, straight man, he is privileged in this world...but then, sadly, he doesn’t do anything to use that to his benefit. All of the black character in this novel ultimately end up being victims, murdered or absolutely corrupt. And once again, it's the white knight in shining armor swooping in to save the day. Thank you, white man. And I say this as a white man.

So I find the novel problematic at times. It's obvious from the couple passages that touch on the subject that Greg Iles understands the position he's in. I just wish he would have used that more effectively, instead of relying on old tropes. That said, Natchez Burning is easily one of the most all-encompassing and exciting novels Iles has written and ranks among his best.

Shovel Ready: A Novel
Shovel Ready: A Novel
by Adam Sternbergh
Price: $18.62
103 used & new from $3.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, funny noir, March 20, 2014
This review is from: Shovel Ready: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In Shovel Ready's version of New York, New York has become a shell of its previous self and the world has been split between the wealthy who log in or "tap in" to the newest version of the internet, a virtual reality world where they tend to spend most of their life. Their servants take care of their earthly bodies, while they go on whatever virtual pursuits they desire. The rest of the people are forced to fend for themselves, on the mean streets of a destroyed New York. Into this equation is Spademan, who used to be a garbage man, and now it just a garbage man...who disposes of individuals. He's a man who is ruthlessly efficient in what he does and has a couple rules that guide his moral compass. He's one of the best in the business and doesn't care why the individual wants someone dead nor any other information. As long as it doesn't mess with his code. His latest client hires him to kill the daughter of a powerful evangelist and, as you can expect from a noir novel, the story spirals out from there.

Books have a rhythm to them, a speech pattern all their own. Sometimes, they are choppy and the beat comes in spurts. Other times, they just flow flawlessly. The best ones are effortless, allowing the written word to take you along its journey without you realizing it. Shovel Ready reads like noir sounds. It immediately invokes those old black and white movies, with the hardened private detective narrating the events. I think that's probably the biggest compliment I can give Adam Sternbergh; his prose perfectly captures the way noirs sound. And he uses this to paint quite the dark, disturbing and sometimes laugh out loud (but still quite dark) funny picture of a futuristic New York. It reads fast and the words come at you like bullets. It is really really dark at times. But, still, the dark humor shines through. It's not for the squeamish but for those looking for a good futuristic noir, I have to say this is one of the best I've read.

Duracell Powermat GoPower Longhaul backup battery, power bank, for iPhone 5S/5C/5, Samsung Galaxy S4, other smartphones and tablets
Price: $75.72
15 used & new from $75.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for travelers, December 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A couple things to note up front. This isn't an insta-charge type device. Your phone or tablet won't be magically charged in a moment. It does take awhile. It's not like plugging your device into a wall outlet. But for the frequent traveler who doesn't have access to ports or car chargers or something, this device works wonderfully. I used it when I went on my last trip and it kept my phone fully charged, which is nice when you rely on it for entertainment on long trips but also need it for the practical side of things and keeping in touch.

It charges through USB and doesn't include a wall unit, so that's kind of annoying. It took about 5 or 6 hours to charge for me, but it kept my devices charged perfectly on the trip. I'd really recommend this for frequent travelers. It put some ease into my mind, knowing that I could use my phone as needed without worrying about it running out when I needed it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20