Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM
Profile for Terry Mesnard > Reviews

Browse

Terry Mesnard's Profile

Customer Reviews: 493

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terry Mesnard RSS Feed (Nebraska)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sunbeam 6-Speed Planetary Series Stand Mixer with Power Hub Attachment Capability, FPSBSM3481-033
Price: $237.77
3 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mom-approved, December 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With the holiday season upon us, I brought this mixer to my mom's house in order to see her opinions on it. I had used it a couple times and really liked it. I found it comparable to the KitchenAid mixer I had, but it felt a bit more compact. But I wanted to see what my mom, the cookie-making fool that she is, thought of it in comparison to her own KitchenAid mixer. Immediately, she could tell that it had some oomph to it. I didn't even need to tell her that it had 600 Watts of power behind it. She really liked the path the beater took. Sunbeam calls it a "planetary" design, so that the blender moves in a pattern that resembles planetary movement, the idea being that it mixes things up more efficiently. It worked really well. We also used the whisk attachment to beat some eggs and it worked really well, too.

Overall, she felt like I did, that this model feels comparable to her KitchenAid mixer. The ability to add new attachments is nice, but honestly I'll probably never buy the additional products because I won't use them. It's strong, nice-looking and durable. Definitely worth the money.

simplehuman Liner Rim Rectangular Step Trash Can with Liner Pocket, White Steel, 45 Liter / 11.9 Gallon
Offered by simplehuman
Price: $130.00
3 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but stylish., December 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So, here's the thing. I like to be upfront and honest with my reviews, so I'm just going to get it out of the way. This was sent to me as part of the Vine program (as you probably already saw) and it's a terrific garbage can, in that it operates in a way that promotes throwing things away. It holds a bag properly, it looks nice and it has a lid. It's a trash can. It also costs $140. Would I, if I had to buy this instead of simply reviewing it, purchase this trashcan? Heck, no. That $140 could go towards quite a few of my expensive hobbies and, at the end of the day, we need a trashcan to do one thing: hold trash. But here we are.

simplehuman makes good products. I guess I'd probably compare them to the Apple of home supplies. You're paying for a brand, but you're also getting a really nice product. Like Apple, their goods tend to be very stylish and modern. This can is no different. It looks really nice and fashionable. It has a trashcan bag dispenser in the back, where you can easily pull out new bags to replace the old ones. The pressure step works really well, though I think it requires a tad more pressure than I originally expected. All in all, a great product to store one's trash. Only complaint about the actual design is that the refill bags are super expensive if you go that route. Ridiculously expensive. I've been using normal Glad bags and they fit fine on it. They're maybe a tad too big around the opening, but they fit fine.

So, if you're in the market for a $140 trashcan, I'd really recommend this one.

Bloodborne
Bloodborne
Price: $34.99
180 used & new from $27.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome home, dear Hunter, December 2, 2015
This review is from: Bloodborne (Video Game)
I am not the target audience for Bloodborne. Up to Bloodborne, my only experience with a From Software "Souls" title was about two hours I spent bashing my head against the wall trying to understand and get past the beginning area of Demon Souls. After that, I completely skipped Dark Souls and would have skipped Bloodborne had it not been the aesthetics being sold to me. The gothic creations; the macabre feel; the monsters...it all coalesced into this product that I just had to try, figuring I would bash my head against the wall again for 2 hours, regretting my life choices. Again. But that's not the case. Instead, I was presented with what is not only easily my game of the year but the most involved and fun game I've played in years, plural.

You wake up on a slab, weaponless, in a dark gothic laboratory. As you make your way down the stairs, you see a giant werewolf-type creature feasting on the remains of its previous kill. It's only at half of its life. You think you can take him. You probably won't. You'll probably die. And you'll awaken in some graveyard, with moaning creatures providing you with your first weapon choice and firearm choice. And, with no option to go anywhere else, you'll return to the scene of the crime to hopefully get revenge on the wolf that just slaughtered you. At this point, you'll continue onward, pushing open the doors to Yharnam, a giant city cast in a stylized gothic architecture, and chances are you'll die again shortly. But, you will have learned. You'll learn enemy placements. You'll start to realize their movesets. You'll discover that not only pressing the Circle button makes you dodge, but that you can dodge behind the enemies, giving you precious seconds to tear them apart. You might soon realize that while your gun doesn't do much damage, it can stagger some of your enemies. You might even realize that if you trigger it correctly, you not only leave them open for an attack but that you can perform a Visceral Attack and tear their hearts out. And you'll learn. Slowly, maybe, at first. But you'll learn.

Bloodborne is a hard game. I think anyone with even a passing knowledge of From Software games will know that. But whereas Dark Souls warranted a survival horror approach with its slow progress and emphasis on blocking, Bloodborne puts you in the role of a hunter. It's fast-paced and rewards taking huge risks. This risk/reward structure of leaping into the fray instead of sidestepping back or waiting for just the right moment of when to strike is one of the big things separating Souls from Bloodborne. It simply has a different structure and, for me, that structure is what makes Bloodborne more fun and fulfilling than Dark Souls. To be honest, I don't have the patience to play through Dark Souls. I've made it about halfway through Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin and I've dipped by toes into Dark Souls 1, but they just don't grab me in the same way Bloodborne does. To each their own. Bloodborne is the first game I've platinumed. The first game I actively strove for achievements. In a game where I didn't think I'd make it past the first boss before giving up in frustration, I'm on New Game+++ with 68 hours logged into one character. And a second character about 60% of the way through a first playthrough. It's a game that I thought about, scoured the internet for clues, read up and watched videos dissecting the story and environmental storytelling. It's involving. It's ambiguous. But it's doable. And it's fun. What astounded me, playing through with my second character, was just how much better I was at the game. When I went through NG+ on my first character, I attributed my level and powerful weapons to succeeding. But playing with a beginning character all over again, I saw that the game truly does teach you.

If it's not clear, I absolutely loved Bloodborne. And now I'm digging through the expansion and finding myself getting just as enamored with that (although I don't recommend playing through it first on a NG+++ level 198 character because, damn. It's hard). The From Software Souls-type games either click with you or they don't. Dark Souls didn't click with me, as much as I tried. But Bloodborne...Bloodborne is special.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2015 6:09 PM PST

Corsair Gaming MM600 Dual Sided Aluminum Gaming Mouse Pad
Corsair Gaming MM600 Dual Sided Aluminum Gaming Mouse Pad
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Desk Required, December 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A couple things upfront. Amazon has included all three sizes in the product description, so when you're reading through reviews make sure you're looking at the right model. Some of the customer pictures attached are for a different model number of this mouse pad. So it can be confusing to figure out which version you're actually reading/interested in. The mouse pad sent to me for testing/review is the MM600, double sided mousepad. It's not a rollout one that stretches across your desk. It's nowhere near as long as that one. But it is deceptively big. The dimensions are just under 14" by just under 11". It's made of aluminum and has two different sides. One side is very sleek and has a slight tessellated pattern which gives it a modern look. The other side is a bit grainy, providing a bit more resistance to the mouse when you roll it over the pad. It's incredibly sturdy, being made from aluminum, which is nice.

The MM600, while nowhere near as long as one of the other models, is pretty big. Normal every day mouse pads I've used at work measure around 9-10" by ~8", for reference. My desk at home required a bit of maneuvering in order to fit everything on it. I don't have a whole lot of space and unlike the CGMM200 that one of the customers helpfully provided pictures for, it's not big enough to just set under your keyboard. So just realize, if you're looking to get this, that it takes up a considerable amount of space, in both directions. That said, it works wonderfully. I like the tactile feel of the grainy side while I'm moving my mouse and it does help slow the mouse down for when you're trying to get better accuracy. Both sides work well and I'd definitely recommend it...if you have the space

Remington MB4850 Virtually Indestructible Beard Trimmer Kit, Beard Kit, Beard Trimmer
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but...indestructible?, November 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So, as many people know, November has been dubbed "Movember" or "No Shave November." I'd like to tell people that I was participating in it this year, but the truth is I just got supremely lazy. And then when I heard I was going to be offered this product to review, I kept to my lazy guns in order to try and give it a workout. All told, I had about 6 or so weeks worth of growth when I finally got the razor in the mail. The razor made quick work of the beard growth and gave me the perfect length of scruff I was looking for.

As you can see in the pictures above, this razor comes with two other razor attachments, a shave guard, a bottle of oil and a cleaning brush. Oh, and an obnoxiously large and completely useless carrying case. At least, I think that's what it is. It looks like a brick. And I find it completely useless because it's just a container. It's not partitioned or broken out in any way. So if you put your razor and miscellaneous other attachments in it, they'll just bang around in the box. Which, I guess, shouldn't matter too much for the actual razor since it's supposedly indestructible. Now, I don't mean to harp on the giant box and the silly indestructible moniker, but I'm going to do just that. I don't know if I'm just not shaving correctly, but is there really a need for an indestructible razor in a normal, every day lifestyle? Should I be tossing the razor at the walls when I shave and or practicing juggling? I don't know what the practicality is for an indestructible razor, unless you're engaged in some type of war zone activity. But it's there, if you're so inclined. Or you have temper tantrums while shaving and are worried about breaking your razor.

Regardless, the actual razor, as I briefly mentioned above, works wonderfully. I had a really nice beard going and it cut through it with ease. I like the shave guard, which is tied into a scrolling wheel on the back of the razor to adjust height. It gave me a nice all around length for what I was looking for. I was worried that with such a bulky razor, I'd have problems on the mustache/under the nose portion but it worked great there, as well. I'm really impressed with the actual razor. It's a bit bigger and bulkier than I'm used to, but the heft is nice and it works well. I'd definitely recommend it.

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits: A Novel
Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits: A Novel
by David Wong
Price: $18.38
68 used & new from $5.74

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved that book, October 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow. David Wong burst onto the scene with the trippy, self-aware horror-comedy John Dies at the End. I loved that book, even though it was rough around the edges. I never did pick up the second book (an error I'm remedying right now), so I jumped right into Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. What a difference. Wong has grown exceedingly well as an author. This novel was hard to put down.

Zoey Ashe, a rather poor person living in a trailer park, is suddenly thrust into a completely different world of eccentric billionaires and fame. Her estranged father was a billionaire himself and left all of his fortune to Zoey when he passed. Unfortunately, that's not really a good thing as she now has super-powered bad guys out for her blood and a giant payday. The novel zips by in a flurry as she's forced to deal with a variety of evil people all wanting to do bodily harm to her. Wong populates Fancy Suits with a number of fun, larger-than-life characters and finds a good protagonist is the snarky Zoey.

It's not world-changing, but it is very fast paced and unputdownable. Fans of Wong's previous novels will find much to love.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous Base Set
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous Base Set
by Mike Selinker
Edition: Game
Price: $46.46
37 used & new from $25.50

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Adventure Card game and have had a lot of fun, both in groups and solo, October 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own the original version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card game and have had a lot of fun, both in groups and solo, playing through it. What I enjoy about these types of games is the deck-building aspect, where as you go on adventures, your deck becomes stronger and you see progression not usually seen in card games. It does a great job of mimicking the Pathfinder RPG experience. Rise of the Runelord is still my favorite, however. I feel like the progression and the characters are more interesting.

If you're playing in a group, Wrath does a great job. Firstly, the directions are expanded and easier to follow. It offers a lot more options and has a few wrinkles that Runelords didn't have. But I'll tell you this; it's much harder. In particular, playing solo is rather difficult. It was hard enough in Runelords, but here it feels like you have to pick the right character in order to progress. I've had a lot of fun, though, in a group with both games. Fans of Runelords, I'd recommend checking this one out if you've worn out your previous adventures. Newcomers, while the rules are streamlined and easier to follow, I'd personally start with Runelords.

ProTeam Commercial Backpack Vacuum Cleaner, ProVac FS 6 HEPA Vacuum Backpack with Commercial Home Kit, 6 Quart
Price: $494.25
4 used & new from $395.40

4.0 out of 5 stars The nice thing is that it works a lot more easily ..., October 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So this product is lighter than I expected, but it's still very bulky. The nice thing is that it works a lot more easily on stairs than a traditional vacuum cleaner and it cleans well. Comparing it to a Dyson, I still prefer my Dyson simply because if you have a smaller space to clean, it has virtually no setup. Whereas this particular vacuum would work better for larger spaces simply from a time investment. It takes a bit to assemble and it kind of takes up a lot of room. If you're looking for a backpack vacuum, this is a great choice. But...personally, I still prefer a handheld one.

TP-LINK TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with Up to 343Mbps Download and 143Mbps Upload Speeds
Price: $54.95
84 used & new from $48.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This particular modem works wonderfully. I've been using it for a few months, October 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Upgraded from a DOCSIS 2 to a 3.0 and, without upgrading my cable plan, my download speeds jumped ~10 MB/S with a speedtest. This particular modem works wonderfully. I've been using it for a few months, now, and I've not had a single problem with it. I'm in a rural area and it works perfectly with Mediacom. I've recommended it to friends who have Cox Communications and it works well for them. Highly recommended.

The Unnoticeables: A Novel
The Unnoticeables: A Novel
by Robert Brockway
Price: $19.85
60 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, August 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Unnoticeables grabbed my attention from the first page with this short and succinct bit of ridiculousness: "I met my guardian angel today. She shot me in the face."

I wish the rest of the book lived up to that statement. I'm conflicted about The Unnoticeables, which was written by Robert Brockway. Robert Brockway is a coworker of David Wong (who helpfully supplied a quote for the book). David Wong, you might know/remember, wrote John Dies at the End. I bring this up because it feels like The Unnoticeables could be in the same universe as John Dies at the End. Unfortunately, I just think there are some glaring problems that kept pulling me out of enjoying the story he was telling.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The Unnoticeables deals with two characters in two different time periods. Carey is a punk from the 1970s, whose punk friends are vanishing because of Tar Men...literal people made out of tar. There are also the titular Unnoticeables, people who work in conjunction with this tar fiends, who are...well, unnoticeable. You'll see them, but when they're out of view you won't be able remember many discerning characteristics. Meanwhile, in 2013, Kaitlyn is a stunt woman looking for work in a Hollywood that values "networking" over the actual ability to do the job. She's struggling to get by. Her friend Jackie invites her to a big Hollywood party so she can rub elbows with the high and mighty and against her better judgment, Katilyn agrees. There, she meets a washed up teen heartthrob who played J.C. Sable (i.e., J.C. Slater) on a Saved by the Bell-esqe TV show. He then tries to eat her, basically. He's one of the Unnoticeables. So now we have two time periods, where crazy stuff is happening and both of our protagonists have to save the world.

The Unnoticeables switches back and forth between the 1977 and 2013 and you're just waiting for everything to come together. Unfortunately, while the story hooked me, there were so many issues that popped up that pulled me back. For one, I couldn't stand Carey. He is a sexist and annoying character that every time he opened his mouth, I wanted to skip ahead. Brockway tries to apologize for his behavior by making Carey say, at one point, something to the effect of "yeah I'm a jerk, but it's how I live. So, *shrug*" By giving his character an apologetic out, he completely allows Carey to say or do anything, because, you know, circumstance. I don't have a problem with unlikeable characters. If done right, they can be incredibly involving (like, say, Libby Day in Dark Places). But Carey just annoyed me. I guess he was supposed to be funny, but I hardly laughed once I got a few chapters into the book.

Unfortunately, I also didn't think the book tied up as well as I was hoping. As the two time periods race toward their respective climaxes, I lost sight of what was really happening and by the end I didn't really care. I enjoyed Brockway's writing style. I just was disappointed with the book as a whole; which is unfortunate. I really enjoyed David Wong's first two books so I was hoping that another Cracked.com writer would be equally as interesting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20