Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Mark Evans > Reviews

Browse

Mark Evans' Profile

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Evans RSS Feed (Blackwell, OK United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
DVD ~ Bud Abbott
Price: $8.47
60 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice presentation of a classic, August 15, 2015
What a classic film! And the extra information was enjoyable, like Lon Chaney accidentally scaring Lou Costello's little girl in his makeup.

EZ Moves Furniture Moving System with Lifter Tool & 8 Slides
EZ Moves Furniture Moving System with Lifter Tool & 8 Slides
Offered by Less than Retail
Price: $24.49
23 used & new from $17.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Has paid for itself many times over, August 15, 2015
Another $19.95 TV ad that looked too good to be true, right? I might have agreed when I got this a few years ago, put it in a drawer & nearly forgot I had it for about 6 months. But then a funny thing happened. I NEEDED to rearrange some heavy furniture by myself and remembered the EZMoves system. It paid for itself THAT DAY!
Since then I have used it numerous times and love it. If you live alone and occasionally need to move furniture that is either quite heavy or somewhat heavy & fragile, this is for you -- especially if your place is carpeted! Just lift up an edge with the little tool, slide in a pad (on smaller items you can get by with just one!), and repeat on 2 or 4 sides. Now you can slide it all over the house without damaging carpet or the piece you are moving & without back injury.
This is one $19.95 commercial that really is checking out!

Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty
Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Leehrsen sharpens cletes to cut away myths, July 4, 2015
I have always loved well-researched books in which the author disposes of multiple myths that had become engrained in the public mind as fact. (I even got to do a little of this in my work on my MA thesis in history,) Therefore Charles Leerhsen's Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty was a book I could hardly put down.
Leerhson tackles the larger-than-life persona of Ty Cobb. All serious baseball fans know he was the greatest Deadball Era baseball player, the all-time hits leader until Pete Rose came along and holds a likely unbreakable record for best career batting average. Most of us had one thing in common with those who just vaguely knew that Cobb had been a baseball star: We ALL knew that Cobb had been at very best an ornery, wildly over-competitive zealot who reflected the typical prejudices of a southerner born in 1886. At worst he was a virulent racist who would not even allow a black person to speak to him and was widely hated by his contemporary players. I mean, we had ALL seen Field of Dreams (in which Shoeless Joe Jackson says that Cobb wanted to join their magical cornfield existence, but they had told him to get lost) and Cobb, with Tommy Lee Jones as Cobb trying to rape hotel workers, shooting his gun at hospital nurses and taking offense that Sweet Georgia Brown had become know as the Harlem Globetrotters' theme song and being an outcast at a Hall of Fame gathering.
There was just one thing wrong with our "knowledge." Most of it wasn't true.
Leerhsen painstakingly removes the varnish of oft-repeated and embellished tales and gets down to actual contemporary accounts, public records from the time and personal recollections of many who knew him. The Cobb we find was much different than the one sensationalist writer Al Stump largely created out of whole cloth.
Overly competitive? A bit. Aggressive, with a tendency to take out infielders and get into fistfights during off-hours? Sure -- but not really much more so than the average player of his rough-and-tumble era. Hated by teammates and opponents? Clearly not. Joe Jackson was thrilled when Cobb dropped in at his liquor store in the 1930s and would have considered the cornfield league incomplete without him. Abusive husband? Try again. In an era when it wasn't considered to most manly thing to do among players, Cobb more than once got permission to leave the team to be by his first wife's bedside during her numerous difficult pregnancies. Virulent racist? Not even marginally close. Leerhsen spends more time discussing and debunking this time-honored notion than anything else.
Without spoiling the specifics for potential readers, Leerhsen does a great job of debunking the false veneer that has yellowed Ty Cobb's portrait over the past 50 years. This is a must-read for any real baseball fan, any reader who enjoys the investigation of historic tales and anyone else who believes in people getting a fair hearing.

Safety Last! (Criterion Collection)
Safety Last! (Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Harold Lloyd
Price: $22.19
21 used & new from $11.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, June 24, 2015
Great bunch of films, hard to find. Love watching silent with expert commentary.

Hot Shot 5580 No Pest Strip Hanging Vapor Insect Repellent, Unscented
Hot Shot 5580 No Pest Strip Hanging Vapor Insect Repellent, Unscented
Price: $6.47
44 used & new from $6.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine print STUNNED me! Not what I wanted!, June 24, 2015
I was VERY disappointed when I got this home. I got my magnifying glass out & read the fine print. It's not for use in houses!!!! (At least not houses with people or pets in them!) That does me NO GOOD! To me, "no pest strip" is a sticky thing you hang up & catch flies. Now I'll have to return it and HOPE Wal-Mart has something else. (All I saw were flyswatters & these.)
If you want to kill flies IN YOUR HOUSE while YOU ARE THERE, this is not what you want.

LIGHT IT by Fulcrum 20010-301 LED Wireless Multi Flex Clip On Task Light and Book Light, Silver
Price: $9.21
41 used & new from $6.41

5.0 out of 5 stars What a handy little device!, March 30, 2015
I honestly don't remember how I got this; I think it may have been thrown in free with a larger purchase. The little booger has been EXTREMELY handy, though. It's even better than a flashlight for working in tight spaces, such as hooking or unhooking cables and cords from the backs of computers or DVD players or just stumbling to the bathroom at 4 a.m. without blinding oneself with overhead lights. Of course it's designed for reading and it's excellent for that, too! I love mine.

How to Be a Gentleman Revised and   Updated: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
How to Be a Gentleman Revised and Updated: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine guide to modern manners, March 30, 2015
I ordered How to be a Gentleman (on Kindle) because I was becoming aware that, like society in general, I was beginning to forget my manners. In fact, coming from a rural, blue-collar Missouri family, I realized I might have been lacking a few niceties to begin with.

John Bridges does an excellent job at making manners relative in the 21st century. He strives to include young gentlemen (dating, job interviews) and older gentlemen (trimming nose hair, etc.) in his exhortations to be thoughtful. I picked up a number of useful tips (including facing those seated when entering or exiting a row of patrons in theatre seating, so one's derriere does not parade in front of each patron's face). On a few I had to grin guiltily, such as "A gentleman never drinks directly from a milk carton, even when the gentleman lives alone."

There has always been a difference of opinion in defining "lady" and "gentleman." Ocassionally Bridges does seem to lapse into the uppercrust mindset that a gentleman, rather than being "any male who wishes to act thoughtfully," is defined as "any male who wishes to act thoughtfully, makes over $100,000 a year and is able and willing to spend thousands of dollars year on clothes, entertaining and tipping. Still, one can quickly skip over segments that he is sure will never apply to him. (As someone who winces when he pays $8 for a fast food meal and has probably had the equivalent of one large glass of (very cheap) wine in his life, I'll just google "how much to tip a wine steward" should the need ever arise!)

Overall it is a very helpful, thoughtful book. I strongly recommend it, as any gentleman would.

Killing Jesus: A History
Killing Jesus: A History
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking work by O'Reilly, March 30, 2015
A good friend and fellow Christian, when I mentioned I had read Killing Patton and was planning on getting Killing Jesus, strongly recommended that I avoid it. I knew he was insinuating that writing a non-Biblical account of Jesus' life was borderline heresy. Having read considerably (including the well-researched The Case For Christ by Lee Stroebel and Fabricating Jesus by Craig A. Evans) on the historic reliability of the canonized gospels, and knowing Bill O'Reilly personally believes in Christ's divinity, I ordered the book (Kindle version) with no trepidation.

My confidence was rewarded with another well-researched, gripping book. As an evangelical Christian, I have no problem with O'Reilly's approach. The book shows -- and I believe this was one of its primary goals -- that even if one does not accept the Bible as an authoritative text (which I do), that there is still plenty of historical evidence that there was something eminently earthshaking about Jesus' life, his death and about events in the days and years following. Many people today do not believe there WAS a historical Jesus. Many others believe he never made claims of divinity. Still others claim that his death was somehow faked. Historical record clearly negates these claims and also attests to an amazing zeal on the part of his followers, hundreds of whom claimed to have seen him in resurrected form. Even for atheists or agnostics or others who refuses to credit the New Testament as accurate history, it would seem that these events and many in the century that followed would at least give them considerable pause.

I learned a lot more about the Roman Empire and its relationship with the Jewish people and especially the priestly hierarchy that I ever had before. As Craig Evans and others have previously written, the more one understands the world in which the New Testament was written the more one understands it and respects its accuracy.

Bill O'Reilly has another winner in Killing Jesus.

Sensodyne ProNamel Daily Mouthwash 250ML
Sensodyne ProNamel Daily Mouthwash 250ML
Offered by ASTIR-CARE
Price: $15.79
5 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensodune: Bring this product back!, December 14, 2014
PLEASE bring this product back, Sensodyne! For a "chain" soda drinker, I feel this rinse, along with Pronamel toothpaste protects me from my bad habits.

1970s Baseball: A History and Analysis of the Decade's Best Seasons, Teams, and Players
Price: $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars MVP performance by Gersbeck, December 14, 2014
Joe Gersbeck has captured baseball during the turbulent 1970s in his 1970s Baseball. Gersbeck is essentially a list-maker. In addition to summarizing each season, he lists/ranks players at each position, ranks franchises, ranks best individual seasons for batters & pitchers, ranks highlights of the decade, and lists decade leaders in numerous categories. He also has his own decade MVP ranking. It is a very readable book and one that I (as a small-town journalist) found myself thinking, "I could have written this book!" (Note: That's not to say I could have written it BETTER, merely that I wished I had gotten the idea before Joe!)
Gersbeck will have fans of the decade agreeing with and arguing against his selections and will surely stimulate numerous debates and discussions.
One of the best things he does is what he DOESN'T do. Gersbeck avoids the temptation to make it a book about America in the 1970s more than BASEBALL in the 1970s. He doesn't try to tie in the Oakland A's dynasty with Watergate or Hank Aaron's home run record with Patty Hurst. He leaves the psychobabble to others.
Along with Dan Epstein's marvelous Big Hair & Plastic Grass, it stands as the best look at baseball during that crucial decade I have seen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4