Profile for Abu > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Abu RSS Feed (South Africa)

Leatherman 830018 Kick Pocket Multi-Tool with Leather Sheath
Leatherman 830018 Kick Pocket Multi-Tool with Leather Sheath

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but can't match a Victorinox for finish..., April 18, 2012
Length:: 3:28 Mins

Serves the purpose as a tool, but just not as slick and well made as a Victorinox... The higher end Leathermans maybe good quality but the difference is with the Swiss Army knives (Victorinox) even the very basic ones (e.g. classic) are made to the same exacting standards... I have a Victorinox Tinker which I prefer to this tool.

8 months on: It looks like the main blade has small spots, I certainly hope its not rust forming! I had a look at the manufacturers website and they state it has a stainless steel body and stainless steel Handles, what about the blade and tools? The product description on the amazon page states "All of the tools available in the Kick are made from 100-percent stainless steel". I'm not sure, the blade has a matt grey finish which doesn't look like stainless steel to me...

Comments from other owners welcome...

Wenger 89825Wenger Swiss Army Knife Nylon Pouch Designed For Up To 3.5-Inch Long Knives

4.0 out of 5 stars No complaints..., January 6, 2012
I got this pouch cause it was slightly cheaper than the victorinox one and was pretty similar in size... even has a studded emblem as opposed to the embroided one with the Victorinox pouch which I preferred... I keep my Victorinox Tinker and it fits perfectly... Not the fanciest, most plush pouch out there... its fabric not leather so its not for modelling... but its fit for purpose, no complaints.

Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Offered by HASSLE-FREE
Price: $6.99
41 used & new from $1.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, does the job..., January 6, 2012
I have an HTC desire... which like most modern phones struggles when it comes to battery life, so its comforting to know that I have a charger with me in the car when I'm away from home.

Now 95% of phones are coming out with a micro usb charging port and so it will def. help to spare a couple of bucks and get yourself one.

I do feel the blue light is quite bright, but all I do is I rotate it so I can't really see it... all good... the charger doesn't get really hot or anything, its an authentic Motorola product, not the best build quality I've ever seen... but hey, its under $5!

Maui Jim Sandy Beach,Gloss Black Frame/Neutral Grey Lens,one size
Maui Jim Sandy Beach,Gloss Black Frame/Neutral Grey Lens,one size
Offered by Sunglasstop
Price: $137.55
18 used & new from $124.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 6, 2012
I've had a pair for about 6 months and I love them... I use mine a lot when driving... They are very comfortable and look the part as well...

Had to get a friend to bring them over as they're not readily available in South Africa where I reside... (here it's just the ray bans, oakleys and some others)... I am very happy with my pair... MJs rock :)

Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker and Classic Knife Combo
Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker and Classic Knife Combo
Price: $28.11
9 used & new from $23.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice combo to get, January 6, 2012
Excellent quality...

I have the classic knife on my key ring so I actually find I use it more often... It's scissors have proven to be the most used tool unexpectedly...

I also just checked out a video on youtube (title: 'Secret Swiss Army Straight Pin') about the tinker which alerted me to the fact that there is a slot (visible when the philips screw driver is open) to insert a straight pin! Check it out :) (could be useful to help ease a splinter out in conjunction with the tweezers).

3M 84901 ScotchgardTM Paint Protection Film, Door Edge Guard, .4 in x 10 yds
3M 84901 ScotchgardTM Paint Protection Film, Door Edge Guard, .4 in x 10 yds
Offered by Tool Deals
Price: $17.00
8 used & new from $15.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Satisfied, October 10, 2011
I expected the tape/film to be thicker in width, but on applying it I found it's just the right width... There are a couple of instructional videos on youtube on how to DIY... no additional solvents needed, just plain water (optional, since this is a thin strip but I used it anyway)...

I was quite impressed at how the film was able to adjust to the curvature of the door, no hassles with air bubbles or the film buckling at edges, I guess its flexible... Its great... hardly noticeable after applying, and very easy to do. Takes about 5 min (max) per door (will get faster once you've done the first one)...

I actually did 3 cars using one roll of this (the 10 yards were enough for 12 doors, the cars I applied were a VW Golf & Passat as well as a Volvo S40)..

I just applied them recently so can't comment on its longevity... but I did give one of the cars a wash just after applying (I only cleaned the door edge before applying), and it showed no signs of peeling of or air bubbles or anything... so very happy with the product, highly recommended.

[UPDATE]: Its now been 4 months and the film is still pretty much the same as when I applied it :)

Skagen Men's 233LTMN Titanium Black Mesh Watch
Skagen Men's 233LTMN Titanium Black Mesh Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated yet sleek, May 8, 2009
I've had this watch for over a year now. Have received numerous compliments from friends, it tends to get catch their attention to the point where they enquire what make it is and where it was purchased from etc :)

The watch face is not big, the strap is actually on the narrow side which might not suit guys with larger arms :)

This one doesn't have a seconds' indicator and is completely silent in operation. It also doesn't have a date indicator either. Incidentally the model I saw which did have the date was a bit bigger and had a wider strap.

Verdict on this is that its a very sleek watch, the blue dial is really cool and the black thin mesh strap looks good and is comfortable.

[UPDATE]: Its now been 4 years since I got the watch and its still going strong on its original battery, I've not had to do any maintenance to mine. The paint on the latch is fading slightly but its hardly even noticeable. I'm thinking of getting myself another Skagen to alternate with as I can't wear my sport/actives watches at my new work place, this time I'll prob go for a leather strap for a change, and maybe one which has the date as well.