Profile for Herman Au > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Herman Au "Herman Au" RSS Feed (Alhambra, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Fancierstudio Flash Bracket Swivel Bracket Umbrella Holder Studio Tilting Bracket for Nikon Canon E430 E580 SB600 SB800 SB900 By Fancierstudio Bracket B
Offered by KM Distribution
Price: $6.48
22 used & new from $4.66

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed design. Will not hold your flash tight enough, November 22, 2014
Rarely do I feel that Amazon reviews or bestsellers fail me but this is particularly one of those cases.
The overall construction and material isn't all that bad especially for its price, but it fails at the most critical aspect of the bracket where it's supposed to hold the flash. They engineered the slot where you slide in your flash metal bracket at an angle instead of straight, resulting in minimal contact with the side of the bracket and basically no matter how hard you try to lock in the flash, it doesn't hold it nearly tight enough. I've dropped my flashes several times because of this.

I wouldn't even want to sell mine cause it's going straight to trash. Don't risk hour $500 flash on this

ZeroLemon® Apple iPhone 6 4.7 inch Case - Razor Armor Pearl White / Black Hybrid Protective Case - Premium Cover for Apple iPhone 6 4.7'' [180 Days Warranty]
Offered by Fenix Select - Authorized ZeroLemon Retailer
Price: $11.99
3 used & new from $10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Polycarbonate is a type of plastic - beware of the misleading images, October 8, 2014
It's not a bad case really, especially if you want to buy a case for this type of looks and for protection, it sure does its job.

But if you think you that that somewhat metallic look from the images, no... don't buy it. The CGI images are very misleading. Beware these photos on the amazon product page are not images of the real product. The images depict an almost metallic like backplate with a nice finish and a clean look, and it's really not like that in reality. The backplate is made of polycarbonate - basically fancy plastic, it's not glossy/shiny, and even if it looks metallic it's not.

In the end it's not the right case for me at all. It makes the phone excessively bulky, and make it look very cheap by encasing the entire iPhone 6 inside and showing ugly plastic all over. Hope this helps you make your buying decision!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 7:29 AM PDT

Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body
Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body
Price: $2,296.95
41 used & new from $1,914.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A professional body disguised in a prosumer shell. The next great Nikon in the making, October 3, 2014
I've gone through 3x Nikon D700 and 3x Nikon D800 bodies over the past few years. All my bodies have been through a lot and I can pinpoint what's wrong with the D800 and how Nikon failed to capture the essence of the now legendary D700 with the way they danced around not releasing a real successor.

I set my expectations super low when I heard about the D750 release and I was throughly unimpressed when I read through the spec sheet - first noticing the consumer level command dial which I would honestly never touch after switching the M, the limitation of shutter speed capped at 1/4000, and for them to further cramp the focus points towards the center which is quite inferior to what it was if you ask me.

I received the camera today and put out my Df, D800, and this new D750 to compare.

First thing I noticed is the grip... boy it's lightyears of improvement comparing to the D800 which I struggle to hold on to every time I use it. The D750 grip is very similar to the D700, and if anything it's actually better. They now give you enough space to lay your thumb and made a little bulge to improve palm grip. They have also rearranged the battery compartment so that the grip itself is smaller, allowing your fingers more surface area to hold the camera. I know most people wouldn't care as much, but when you continue to use the camera over and over this is the type of little things that makes a huge difference.

Live view response time is dramatically improved comparing to the D800. The refresh rate isn't near the Df level which feels instantaneous, but it's fast enough; the real difference is how soon your camera allows your input again after taking the first image with live view. The D800 is so bad that it feels like a bug they never fixed, it takes up to a few seconds for your camera to come back to live; whereas the D750 is simply very responsive in this department.

The tilt screen actually feels very solid, and this makes the D750 a great camera for those who shoot both still and motion. I've been hoping this feature would make it to the professional bodies, and this might just be it.

Initial response with image quality is very positive, even after living with D800 for the past couple years which spoiled me with the amazing dynamic range. They somehow seem to have improved that even further with the D750 which I have to say is mind boggling. The slightly lower 24.3 megapixel vs 36 from the D800 is actually a welcoming "feature". I have to say 99% of my pictures don't ever call for a full 36 megapixel so a lower 24.3 which is sufficiently almost all the time will save me so much headache with storage space. (I have added a total of 10 hard drives over the past 2 years thanks to shooting D800 as my primary cameras)

*** updated AF section ***
The auto focus performance on the camera is far beyond the D800. Not sure how well it is in comparison to the D3S and D4 yet, but it's at least pretty close to the D700 besides not having the focus point coverage. In low light situation even with my ISO jacked un to 6400 it's focusing just fine; and also when I try to point the camera towards direct sunlight it's still not missing much at all and I can still rely on it. On a contrary when I put it in live view it's actually failing to focus sometimes, which the camera has no problem not using LV to focus. Strange, but so far so good with AF...

Instead of CF+SD combo this body actually has 2x SD slots. It's not a deal breaker but if you're concerned about SD reliability you may want to keep this in mind.

The button layout is similar to the consumer level camera, but still retains enough similarities to the bigger brothers so the pros wouldn't feel too unfamiliar.

*** video portion of the review to come after thorough testings this week ***

The new movie settings menu is a very welcome addition, which would allow those of us who shoot video much easier access to the functions. Nikon seems to also have given us more flexibility to customize the buttons for movie mode as well.

Wifi is definitely a great addition. This opens up new ways for us to use our cameras, allowing us to instantly extract photos out of the camera and manipulate or distribute them with our cell phones. I sincerely hope that this will continue to trickle down to the entire Nikon line of products.

They stuck with the EN-EL15 so we don't have to buy new batteries - awesome!

*** The bad: AF focus points are cramped... this is a huge set back and I was really hoping this wouldn't happen. At this point it seems like Nikon is set to designing their future cameras like that which is a step back.

*** The maybe: This isn't a professional line of camera, although it feels very good and feels just like the pro bodies but it's not. The omission on 1/8000 shutter speed and the consumer level shooting mode dial is a huge put off for a lot of people, but then the above par construction makes up for it. Now whether this camera is durable enough like its bigger brothers remain to be seen. But so far I have to say the D800 isn't very durable. I've got the AF knocked out several times on my bodies in the past without apparent impact already, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping they did not cut corners on this one.

Conclusion: *** update*** I'll admit that I was skeptical, actually very skeptical. But after using the camera for one whole day on two weddings shooting both still and motion, I have to say I actually look forward to using this more than my D800 bodies. I can't say about the D810 but if I never needed the 36MP I don't see why I should go that route. The wifi feature works beautifully and it sets the camera apart from the other cameras. 60fps on 1080p HD is quite impressive, although I haven't figured out how I would use it. The high ISO performance is amazing... you will see some lab tests results soon online and I'm sure it won't disappoint. The grip is amazing, and I really cannot stress enough how well it is designed. Huge props to Nikon on this one finally listening to our complaints for once.

In short, this is not your D700 replacement, but it is probably even more than you had asked for. It's a slightly more compact D700 with a tilt screen, 24 MP, wifi, still solid construction. The downside I see is minor issues like the layout of the buttons where WB is #2/5 from top down, and ISO is in #4 and there is nothing to indicate them other than the writings, meaning there are no engravings or anything to help you distinguish what you're pressing when you're not actually looking, forcing you to pull the camera away from your face and see what you're pressing and that slows you down. Movie mode highlight zebra is great, but it would be even better if they put in focus peaking.

Will I buy it again? Yes! In fact at the time of this update I have sold both my D800 bodies and switched over to two D750 bodies. I think every era of cameras there's just one amazing camera that's really worth buying - back in the days it was the Canon 5D, 5D-mk2, D700. Those are the bodies that people always go back to compare to because they set the standard in their times. The Nikon fans have always been asking for a D700 successor. This, even thou isn't a direct descendent, it's definitely worthy to be ranked among one of those very few DSLRs that in time you will go back and compare to, and years from now you will be asking Nikon to make a D750 successor.

Hope this helps you make your camera purchasing process!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 6:56 PM PST

Apple AirPort Express Base Station (MC414LL/A)
Apple AirPort Express Base Station (MC414LL/A)
Price: $89.00
58 used & new from $58.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple does it again... you will be impressed even if you're anti Apple anything, October 3, 2014
I've been having issues with wifi coverage in my two story home for years now and I've tried so many different setups from wifi extenders to using power line adapters to create subnets, or even upgraded antennas and all and nothing gives me the perfect solution. Just when I was about to give up I decided to give the Airport Express a shot.

I've been a long time Apple users, and even thou I use iMacs and iPhones and iPads, I really never thought I would need an Apple Airport... I thought routers are just wifi routers, but boy I was so wrong all this time.

This morning I prepared for a long haul calling Verizon for help and dug up plenty of documentation on putting my Verizon Actiontec into bridge mode and giving this setup one last shot. I went on and plugged in my Airport to the LAN port of my Actiontec. I fired up Airport setup utilities on my iMac. And uhh... I did nothing, and everything just worked like magic. The Airport put itself into bridge mode automatically and adapted to my setup, the wifi coverage is amazing, even in spots that I never even could get coverage on the same floor using wifi extenders I can now reach with my Airport Express on a different floor! Not only that but I'm now able to achieve full speed of what Fios advertised which I was never able to get with wifi. Setting up the first time is also just stupid easy... instead of looking up documentations on admin login and stuff, you just see the Airport Express under the wifi settings menu *automatically*... no need to find out the default wifi network, firing up a browser digging up admin login and mess with settings. All that is done for you in the background.

I just don't even know how else to explain this but Apple again made a very very simple solution for an otherwise very complicated situation. I'm only kicking myself for not buying this earlier... and I'm now wondering if I should have paid the premium buying the Airport Extreme because if anyone had told me that I would have solved all my wifi headache paying double the price I'm paying, I wouldn't have blinked twice and just whipped out 200 bucks from my wallet.

Just wow...

iPhone 6 Case, elago® S6 Outfit Matrix Aluminum and Polycarbonate Dual Case for the iPhone 6 (4.7inch) - eco friendly Retail Packaging (Champagne Gold / Champagne Gold) - Made in Korea
Offered by elago design
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $13.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best iPhone 6 case on the market to date, September 29, 2014
Between me and my wife we must have purchased at least 10 elago cases, and this one being the latest for my iPhone 6. This is my third iPhone case purchased and boy... the quality of it exceeds the highest expectations I've set with my past experience with elago. I purchased the gold case to go with my gold iPhone. The brushed aluminum is beautifully crafted and the color matches as close to the original iPhone gold finish as possible. The rubberized plastic shell also has the perfect touch and color to go with the rest of the phone itself. The fit and finish is also spot on and it would get by having an Apple logo stamped on the back of it. Yes it is that good.

The other two cases I purchased are ZeroLemon and Spigen Neo Hybrid. Each of those two have their own fair share of issues. The Spigen is very close to what I like, where the design is great and fit and finish is also very good, and the looks fit the phone very well too. The only bad thing about it which is very costly (at least for me) is the material chosen for the edge of the phone that has a very slippery finish. It looks good, feels great, but it makes the phone feel like a bar of soap, especially when you're used to operating the iPhone one handed - you are bound to drop the phone it's only a matter of time. The rounded edge along with the finish that provides no grip simply is an awful idea. The ZeroLemon looks very good in photos, but in reality the case makes the phone look like a free phone at the store. It sure provides great protection, but it's a pain to use... It makes the already big iPhone 6 very big and extremely hard to hold on to. The only good things about it are protection and the chiseled edges for good grips. I really couldn't even bear to use it for more than 2 hours and I took it off for good.

This elago case simply looks perfect and is exactly what I wanted - except one issue... All the elago iPhone 5 cases I used also provide protection on the top of the phone, while leaving the bottom of the front unprotected, and I was fine with it. It's not perfect but it allows access to the ports and speakers and I never had much issues getting it damaged there. However with this version they decided to remove the protection on the top as well leaving the top front of the phone without protection. I'm not sure why they did that except for maybe aesthetics? I really hate to tape my phones 'cause you're bound to get lint and gunk build up over time, but without anything protecting the top it feels quite vulnerable. If they wrap the top like they used to with the iPhone 5 cases it's worth a perfect PLUS 6 stars.

As of right now this is an almost 5... just 'cause they sacrificed protection for looks/fitment on the top. But then again it would be unfair to rate this a 4 just 'cause everything is just perfect.

Overall, this is a very solid buy and if you don't drop your phone very often, go for it - you will not be disappointed.

Single LCD Monitor Desk Mount Stand Fully Adjustable/Tilt/Articulating for 1 Screen up to 27" ~ (by VIVO)
Offered by vivotechnology
Price: $33.45
2 used & new from $33.45

5.0 out of 5 stars VIVO Monitor Mount hits a home run!, August 18, 2014
Boy... I can't even begin to explain to you how good this thing is. First of all I must say that this the mount freed my desk and I have so much more desk space so I can organize my stuff better. My primary concern before buying this is the stability of it especially judging from the product image where it shows that 90 degree layout. Once I opened the packages and start putting it together all those thoughts just went away. The vivo mount is actually extremely sturdy. it's holding my 22" monitor with ease and would absolutely hold much more than just that.

The only flaw that I see is that the tilt adjustment is adjusted by a wrench. You use the wretch to actually adjust the resistance of the joint, and so it might get a little tricky if yore one of those people who like to keep making small adjustments. Height adjustment is the same story and requires a tool. But for the price that would be asking a bit too much. Other than that everything works perfectly and it's actually quite well thought out and engineered. I also like how it comes with the cable clamps to keep things neat and tidy.

Absolutely a 5 star product and I will definitely buy again.

Canon PIXMA MG5320 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One Printer (5291B019)
Canon PIXMA MG5320 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One Printer (5291B019)
Offered by Dream Deal
Price: $438.00
7 used & new from $150.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome hardware plagued by AWFUL drivers, May 8, 2013
I own a Canon Pixma MX881 and have nothing bad to say about it. I love the wifi capabilities, the top load sheet feeder, and for the most part the hardware works beautifully, besides the kinda awkward software setup and drivers.

I was looking for another printer to let me print directly on DVDs so I won't have to keep printing labels and applying them and stumbled across this MG5320 all in one printer. I was hoping this would actually have a sheet feeder as well so I can replace my MX881 but it doesn't. It seems like I can't have the CD/DVD printing tray along with a sheet feeder across all lines of these printers. Oh well, I guess it's not so bad buying another one and finding a place for it.

The printer itself isn't small. It does take up a bit of space so be aware of it when purchasing.

Overall the setup is pretty easy and straight forward. You will definitely want to plug in the disc for the set up or download the drivers and software from Canon's site 'cause you will need their software to get this set up properly. The print quality is great; printing / scanning capabilities are awesome; everything seem to work.

But...

Be prepared for an uphill battle if you're setting it up to print on CD/DVD discs.

Tip: (For Macs) You will need to setup this printer using "canonijnetwork" - bonjour, airprint, or any other options won't work.

That alone took me a little while to figure out because one would expect it to work 'cause Macs use bonjour to share printers, and if you have any iOS devices you might think you want to use Airprint, but nope make sure you choose canonijnetwork. But then again for some odd reasons my canonijnetwork option for this printer just won't show up in the first place. I tried restarting, using the canon ij network setup tool, reinstall drivers, everything but it just won't show up. The odd part is that I already have a Canon MX printer installed on my computer but The canonijnetwork option for this printer won't show. After 3 hours of uphill battle and online research, I finally figured it out. This printer is a wifi / usb printer and not a network printer. I have my Mac hooked up through ethernet to the router, and logically whatever hooked up to the router is on the same network as whatever is connected through wifi.

But nope, not to this printer. In order to connect to this printer and be able to hook up to this Canon IJ Network, you will need your computer to be on the same wifi network, mixed ethernet & wifi network environment won't work. Weird isn't it?

Anyhow, here comes to annoying part when you want to print to DVD.

First off you will need to use their Canon EZ Print software to design your label. They definitely named the program wrong because that program is anything but EZ. It has extremely limited capabilities and it feels like the 1980's software. You cannot use, say Photoshop, to design the DVD and print directly to it. You MUST use this EZ Print, or I also found that Disc Cover also works but you'll have to buy it separately.

So I tried putting the disc in and walked back over to my computer to hit print. Isn't that how everything works? You load the paper into the printer, hit print and it prints? But no, not this printer. You MUST first NOT load any disc into the printer, and you MUST first close the latch for the disc tray. You have to first hit print from the software and go back to your printer and wait for it to receive instructions to print, wait for a few minutes until whatever it's doing (and it makes all these weird noise like it's aligning print head or moving its internals to prepare for printing on disc), then wait for the instructions on the LCD on this printer to tell you "OK now you can load the disc", and then you put it in and hit OK.

Weird isn't it? But yea that's how it works... If you loaded a disc into the printer before you hit print, then the printer will tell you to unload the disc, close the latch, hit print on your computer and come back and load the disc. That's like the most backwards way to utilize this feature if you ask me. Furthermore, you cannot modify any options in printing to disc - for example you cannot set print quality which is controlled by EZ Print, and you cannot tell the printer to print greyscale *at all* (it's greyed out and you don't have an option in EZ Print to do so).

In the end, I'm happy with the results for what I bought the printer for - it does what I wanted it to do, after much struggle and learning it's capabilities and limitations. But I sincerely hope that Canon would improve its future drivers so that these "features" are more usable.

TP-LINK TL-PA211 KIT AV200 Mini Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps
TP-LINK TL-PA211 KIT AV200 Mini Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps
2 used & new from $160.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly simple and effective - Until they die (shortly), May 2, 2013
*UPDATE*
Their tech support is just so bad you won't even believe it... 2 weeks after the initial email and they refuse to recognize I have a dead unit and are so slow in response that I feel like they have no more than 2 employees in the office. These things last for maybe 1 year max and then they just die. I've gone through 3 of them already at this point and I have 3 more units working. After that I'm so done with TP-Link anything. Look up online and you'll see a ton of reviews about these having bad capacitors that just burn out.

*ORIGINAL REVIEW*
I first bought this Powerline adapter for my wife because our house built in 1995 somehow don't have any ethernet jacks installed. She works in the upstairs office which she needs to plug into an ethernet cord to connect to her company through VPN. Her company's VPN just won't work with a wifi network so I just gambled on the TP-LINK TL-PA211 KIT AV200 Mini Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps hoping that it would work.

These adapters came in and I was preparing myself for a long hard battle to get this running. I just skipped the instructions and plugged one end to the wall outlet and hooked it up to our router, and then walked upstairs and plugged in another one and hooked it up to her laptop. To my amazement, it just works. Her VPN stays connected steadily without any problems. I've always looked away from these powerline adapters because I was skeptical thinking it either won't work well, or the connection speed would be bad, or fluctuation may occur, etc. But I really never ever imagined it to work so well and connects so easily.

Fast forward a few months, I found myself in a situation where I wanted to connect my new Sling Media Slingbox 350 to my upstairs bedroom so that it doesn't take up the channel in my family room. That way when my daughter is watching her cartoons I could stream my ball games to my iPad. Silly Sling Media somehow decided it's a good idea to not put wifi in that thing so that you would pay more for the more expensive Sling Media Slingbox 500. So again I bought another set of these adapters and hoping it would work. This time I'm trying to add a 3rd connection to the powerline network so I got skeptical. But again, it's truly Plug and Play. I just plugged it in and hooked it up to the ethernet port on my Slingbox and it just works! Not only does it work well, it actually works very smoothly also.

So now I had a 4th one sitting around and I got curious. So I went ahead and plugged in the last one to my own computer which has always been hooked up to the network via Wifi. It's actually been the bottle neck to my Verizon Fios connection all this time without knowing capping at about 22Mbps. I recently upgraded my connection to 35/35 but I couldn't take full advantage of it because my desk isn't close enough to the router and I couldn't plug it in through ethernet. I hooked up this 4th one and this time through a surge protector and I wasn't expecting it to work well, but gosh... again it works flawlessly giving me 38.88Mbps down and 28.95Mbps up on my computer.

So to sum this all up.

If you're skeptical like I was, just buy these - you will be very pleasantly surprised because these little adapters will outperform your highest expectations.

Cheers and happy networking!

Panasonic NN-SD797S Genius "Prestige" 1.6 cuft 1250-Watt Sensor Microwave with Inverter Technology & Blue Readout, Stainless Steel
Price: $240.67
9 used & new from $145.23

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply regret the purchase, January 8, 2013
I was skeptical when I was reading the reviews on amazon when I purchased this unit back in December 2011 mostly because of the discrepancy between the 1 star and 5 star reviews. I thought to myself that I couldn't be the ones so unlucky to somehow land a bad unit, right?

I was dead wrong.

My experience with the NN-SD797S has been a nightmare.

The unit lasted about 7 months of regular home usage until suddenly it decided to stop working altogether. You could turn the dial, set the power and everything, but once you hit the start button it would turn on the lights and shut itself off and clear the settings in about a second. It just won't work at all no matter what I tried.

Initially when I contacted Panasonic they told me the usual ways to diagnose the problem. I switched to different outlets and the unit still wouldn't work. After a while they decided it has to be looked at by a professional and asked me to bring it to a local service center. The closest one to me is about 25 miles away, which is already considered close comparing to many others who encountered problems with this model. Sadly they gave me a PO Box address and I even paid the guy $8 to hand deliver the microwave to the service center.

In about a week's time I heard from the guys from the service center telling me that my microwave is working. So I asked them what was wrong. They told me that they did nothing to it and it's just working, and they're unable to replicate the problem I reported. I drove out there and met them in person to tell them about the issue, which they showed me that the unit's working and there's nothing they could do. They told me that they checked the connections and everything's good, and the only thing that could go wrong is a relay board which they went ahead to order, and it could take up to 2-3 weeks. Since the unit was working at the time I decided to bring it home anyway.

Bad decision.

The unit failed again within 2 weeks and this went back and forth for quite a while.

Lately, the unit decides to die for good. I brought it back to the place to have it looked at, and the guys told me that it is now over the 1 year initial warranty and they will have to charge me $65 for the board and $45 for the repairs + tax to get it fixed, which is over 75% of the total cost of the unit itself.

I called Panasonic to hopefully reason with them and try to figure this out, and they told me that they need the repair documents from the service center. I then called the center and the guys said they don't have it because the microwave was working and they didn't do any work to it at the beginning.

So now I'm stuck between an incompetent service center and a helpless manufacturer along with an expensive broken microwave oven that looks pretty good...

I don't care about the functions and good looks or anything the 5-star reviews are saying at this point. Most microwave ovens last longer than an average vehicle, and the latest generation of Panasonic Microwaves certainly is not the case. I certainly see the pattern here in these reviews and problems like this should have been recalled.

If you're still in doubt, search this model number and find this product on Panasonic's website and see their own reviews. Everybody is reporting problems with it over there. If you're one of the lucky ones who are enjoying the microwave, enjoy it while it lasts. If you're looking to buy a good microwave oven and expecting it to last because you're going to pay premium, MOVE ALONG. This isn't the product for you.

(I'm still awaiting for Panasonic to call me back to do the right thing at this point. I shall report back if I have any positive news)

UPDATE - March 2013
-------------------------

So even after all this, apparently Panasonic doesn't care at all. All this time Panasonic actually hasn't done anything or followed up on the case AT ALL. The tech from the local shop finally called me and told me that Panasonic just barely requested documents from them months after the whole incident and they grew tired of having my microwave sitting there and having Panasonic escalating the issue and swapped in a part from a used microwave for me.

I will never, ever purchase anything from Panasonic again, period.

If they could mess up so bad on a Microwave, which isn't rocket science by the way and it's something that every one of us has grown to having one that work for 10, 20 year and on, what does it say about the rest of their products?

If this is how they handle customer service, how would they handle customer service for other products?

1. Case closed
2. Lesson learned

SE - Spring Clamp - Metal, Black & Red, 2in. - 325SC2B
SE - Spring Clamp - Metal, Black & Red, 2in. - 325SC2B
Offered by Micro-Tools
Price: $3.96
2 used & new from $3.34

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful helping "hands"!, July 10, 2012
The gauge hood of my 19 year old car finally couldn't withstand the california sun and have gotten kinda sticky. I searched online and found a company that tailor a nice leather piece that wraps around the whole thing. The installation instructions pointed me to little clamps like these and so I bought them to help with my project.

Let's just say that I'm pretty handy, but not exactly the very crafty type. Most of these projects I take on end up being successful but not without their setbacks. I was very nervous about this one because it involves fitting, a lot of glue, and trimming of leather. I never worked with leather before, and let's just say that my past experience with glue hasn't exactly been very pleasant. But with detailed instructions, patience, and the help with these clamps that really helped a lot along the way holding the leather in place while the glue cure, the project was far more successful than I anticipated.

These little clamps are strong enough for what I need. The soft rubber tip also helped a lot without having to worry about the clamp ripping my leather as I go along with the glue. I can imagine using these in a lot of many creative ways to help make a lot of small household projects a lot easier in the future.

I also listed the contact cement, x-acto knife, and the epoxy that all work wonders bonding the leather and plastic and also made trimming the leather as easy as a butter knife carving butter.

Dap 00107 3-Ounce Weldwood Contact Cement
Permatex 84101 PermaPoxy 5 Minute General Purpose Epoxy -- Crystal Clear
X-ACTO Z Series #1 Knife with Cap (XZ3601)
2 Inch Long Steel Spring Clamps 12pc Metallic Finish