Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Joseph D. Coons > Reviews

Browse

Joseph D. Coons' Profile

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joseph D. Coons RSS Feed (Bellingham, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Galaxy S6,S6 Edge Plus Pouch Case, WenBelle Galaxy S6,S6 Edge Premium Leather Pouch Carrying Case with Belt Clip Belt Loops Holster for Galaxy S6/S6 Edge ,Perfect Fits with Otterbox Commuter Case on,Compatible with Apple iPhone 6 plus 5.5 inch bare phone
Offered by wonpowerroad
Price: $8.99

EcoSafe-6400 Compostable Compost Bags, 13gal, .85mil, 24 x 30, Green, 45/Box, Sold as 1 Box
Offered by My office innovations
Price: $25.02
4 used & new from $16.72

4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Right-Sized Bags, August 7, 2015
We like and usee these because they fit our Eco-Safe Wastecan.

Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America
Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America
by Jill Leovy
Price: $15.71
57 used & new from $13.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Great True Stories Woven Together, and A Perceptive Examination of Homicides in the Ghetto, August 7, 2015
Some people may expect this to be fiction, it isn't. Nor is it bias-free, any more than any report on a particular subject can be; it is by definition subjective. Yet Ms. Leovy's rendition of the facts of ghetto homicide rates, policing, costs, and horrors and especially the stories behind them rings truthful and is only as gritty as the subject makes it. It reads like a detective story (which it is), and makes assessments which seem valid. It also gives insights, or at least observations, that will help everyone understand an incredibly difficult problem that faces every American city of more than a few thousand souls. It also is a reminder that many folks in so-called journeyman trades (such as local police detectives) are remarkably practiced and worthy of every bit of adulation as their managers, commissioners and political bosses. I have personally recommended it to all my friends who like real depth in their understanding of urban crime.
If, on the other hand, you believe that homicide rates are higher in the ghetto because ghetto residents are inherently different than those not in the ghetto, you may not like this (but, then, you probably won't read it anyway!)

A Leg to Stand On: An Amputee's Walk into Motherhood
A Leg to Stand On: An Amputee's Walk into Motherhood
by Colleen Haggerty
Price: $3.09
48 used & new from $2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing investment in learning and understanding, October 28, 2014
Five or six years ago, I met Colleen when we were in a memoir class together, but since that time, I have seen her perhaps twice and had occasion to deal with her maybe three times as she worked with non-profits in our community (I was a donor). I knew she was working on this book throughout most of that time, but had no idea what to expect. As a now-79-year-old guy, I was fearful it would be "chick-lit", for I thought so many of her friends seemed to frame their lives in feminism, at least from my perspective.
This is not chick-lit!
Instead, this is an incredibly well-crafted and frank story about a person coping with a terrible accident that left her impaired physically, and for a time, impaired her ability to see herself as the amazing and beautiful woman she is (yeah, she's attractive physically, but she's beautiful in the way that any intelligent, sensitive, generous and self-effacing person can be, embodying all the traits that are the best humankind has to offer!)
In this 230-page book, I gained many insights. Some of them are obvious, like the physics of dealing with a leg, but those were minor, and she doesn't dwell on them except as they relate to her story.
More important, I learned about the substantial things: about courage, about faith, certainly about forgiveness, about love, about the value of caring and counseling, about grief and happiness and also about several remarkable men, whom she always treats ultimately with caring and kindness.
When you finish this book, you will know that of all the definitions you might have of Colleen Haggerty, "amputee" will be the last of which you think. She is a powerful woman you will have met (just as I finally have through this book), and she teaches us all.
Buying this book is an investment in understanding her, and, more important, even for an old guy like me, understanding yourself.

Ambient Weather WS-04 Wireless Thermometer with Indoor and Outdoor Temperature
Ambient Weather WS-04 Wireless Thermometer with Indoor and Outdoor Temperature
Offered by Ambient Weather
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, convenient to use, October 23, 2014
This little unit was a pleasant surprise. Easy setup, convenient to use, easy to read, and we're using it to monitor outdoor temperature with the transmitter tucked in the shade of our deck railing corner about ten feet from the house and then fifteen feet laterally inside an exterior wall, maybe 18' as the crow flies. We like its compact size for both units and easy installation. And it seems accurate. (Remember, you need to have the AAA batteries.)

G7 Power Elko LED 15 Watt (75W) 1100 Lumen BR30 Recessed Light Bulb, Dimmable 2700K Warm White Light
Offered by G7 Power
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising bright, good color., July 28, 2014
Bought a dozen as a gift to an Ohio widow for her halls, kitchen & laundry. A week after installation, she reports they all work well, and she is amazed how bright they are. Because they are rated at 2700K, they are the same apparent color as the old incandescents; as an artist, she appreciates that. Would buy again.

Coast 7839 LED Keychain Flashlight Nano Tac Silver
Coast 7839 LED Keychain Flashlight Nano Tac Silver
Offered by Gatzies
Price: $7.14
14 used & new from $4.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatifully made, very compact, July 1, 2014
This is a great little, precision made, bright flashlight, and at Amazon's price, a bargain. Suggest you buy extra batteries when you need them from Amazon in the future; when my wife needed to replace them locally on an earlier purchase from Radio Shack, they wanted more for batteries than the flashlight costs!

Ralph Lauren Mens 2 Button Navy Blue Wool Blazer Sport Coat Jacket - Size 44L
Ralph Lauren Mens 2 Button Navy Blue Wool Blazer Sport Coat Jacket - Size 44L
Offered by Paragon Stores
Price: $153.17
5 used & new from $151.65

4.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable on line purchase, May 5, 2014
I bought this after searching in my town of 100,000 for a decent blazer. Tried Penneys, Macy's, Men's Wearhouse, even Mervyns. Then on--line to Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, Land's End, L.L.Bean. Either they got poor reviews, had insufficient sizes (I wanted a 44-long) or their "blazers" had no brass buttons or weren't blue! Most were priced around $200 or more, Men's Wearhouse was $299, and Brooks and Nordie's were way more. So I took a plunge and ordered this Ralph Lauren blazer, and it was here in two days. Although the box was way oversize, the blazer arrived in perfect condition, obviously brand new, and I slipped it on to get a great fit, excellent quality, and the traditional look...and with the good price, I had money in the bank. Allow time to remove the pocket-securing basting --- takes a few minutes --- and be prepared to feel well-fit and fashionable as soon as you're used to your new blazer!

Grill Daddy Pro Grill Cleaning Brush with Steam
Grill Daddy Pro Grill Cleaning Brush with Steam
Price: $24.24
19 used & new from $20.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A great grilling gadget!, April 16, 2014
At the price of under $25, I have used one of these for several years and given them to friends. It has nearly eliminated BBQ cleaning, since I put foil in the bottom of my unit and so I can easily lift out the debris once or twice a season.

The key to success, however, is TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! Twice my gifts have gone un-appreciated and ineffective because non-reading folks think the Grill Daddy is just a wire grill brush: it isn't! You MUST use it with water as prescribed on a just-turned-off grill, otherwise it won't have a chance to do it's great steam cleaning. But when used as directed, it means high-effort, messy grill cleaning is only once a season, and even then it's easy! How great is that? I'm still using my original with a replacement brush set, and have bought five or six complete Grill Daddies for friends.

Panasonic DMC-FZ150K 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
9 used & new from $155.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Cameras are way underrated!, April 16, 2014
I use digital cameras to write operating manuals for charter yachts, and this is my second Panasonic (my first was my standby for seven years!) I love this newer one. I like the extreme closeup capability, the extended zoom, and the flexible positioning range of the viewfinder screen. And, of course, I like the quality of the images, which is terrific.

My only complaint is the closeness of the camera's lens to the front of the lens bezel: it's easy to smudge the lens while shooting in tight quarters, but certainly this is a minor squawk. This camera will satisfy all but the most demanding photographer's needs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6