Profile for Brian M. Coffee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian M. Coffee RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Good Death: (Boa Morte)
A Good Death: (Boa Morte)
by Mr Adrian Erik McCray
Price: $10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A good novel based in Bahia Brazil, March 20, 2014
This novel will draw you in and in many ways you won't want to put it down. Boa Morte stands for Good Death. It's a festival based in Bahia Brazil. Ready both this novel and Dogs of Brazil if you would like a better understanding of what it must be like for everyday African Brazilians ....

Dogs of Brazil
Dogs of Brazil
by Adrian McCray
Price: $12.34

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, March 20, 2014
This review is from: Dogs of Brazil (Paperback)
Adrian takes the reader to Bahia Brazil in this novel. He does a great job at developing the characters and the ending caught me off guard completely. Deep into the book you will began to wonder how he is going to tie everything together. We also finally get a view of things in this part of Brazil from a women's perspective.

From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans, 9th Edition
From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans, 9th Edition
by John Hope Franklin
Price: $119.98
107 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, September 3, 2013
This is one of two very good text that I have read for this type of course. It's best to stretch it out to a two semester class. I have only one gripe and that is the fact that no hardcover edition is offered. I can't see this book holding up well over time but it will certainly last two semesters. My point is that I like to keep the good textbooks as reference books especially one about history... On the plus side offering it in paperback cuts the price in half. But ... the competing text is offered in hardcover version at the same price as this one ...

Ray, Goodman & Brown: Live in Concert
Ray, Goodman & Brown: Live in Concert
DVD ~ Ray Goodman & Brown
Price: $14.99
28 used & new from $4.86

4.0 out of 5 stars This is Philly Soul !!!, August 10, 2009
There's alot of talk about the old school and who did what and who sang what! Ray, Goodman and Brown hailed from the NJ, Philly area and was always considered very authentic Philly style soul. Going back a few years we see that their old name was "The Moments". There indeed has been a shift in some personal but they retain that sound that Philly was known for in the 1970s. What sound am I talking about? Smooth vocals, nice harmonizing and plenty of classic love songs. The Spinners, Delphonics, The Ojays, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass and countless others provide good examples of Philly soul. I suppose that "smooth" is the best word when describing it compared to it's competitors in Detroit "Motown" or Memphis "Stax". All three soul sounds are equally important and everyone will have their preference. In this video DVD I was struck at how the group brough to the stage and almost recreated an era long gone. Looking back I am amazed at how much more romantic the music was. I always think of that era as turbulent but the song suggest romance! Disco undid many of the soul groups of that era. Suddently every group was expected to release party tunes for the dancefloor! In my opinion romance will last longer than some booty shaking trend. "Love on a two way street" is the groups signature song. The performance of that song on this dvd is very good. However my favorite slow song by this group is "With You" .... The group members are a little older and not at A level performance, I would say they are at a B level which is still darn good!

Bitty Mclean on Bond Street
Bitty Mclean on Bond Street
2 used & new from $86.67

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the real stuff!, May 14, 2009
On the album he attempts to redo some of the classic lovers rock style music that came out in the 70s and 80s. My opinion is that it's better to get the original stuff by Dennis Brown and others rather than this. The music is fine and could almost pass for the original. However Bitty's voice is too childish for my taste. Dennis Brown and other singers of that era sang like men not little kids! Sorry but Bitty just doesn't do it for me with his itty bitty voice! On most songs he has a karaoke flow to his singing, no real strength...

Soca Royal
Soca Royal
Price: $12.99
34 used & new from $3.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that good.... just ok ...., April 23, 2009
This review is from: Soca Royal (Audio CD)
I have to disagree with Achis who did the first review on this CD. I have to admit that we are listening to it with very different ears. Firstly I would like to say that I consider the golden age of reggae to be long gone. The artist on the scene are keeping it alive but the golden age which featured Marley, Tosh, Dennis Brown is the stuff that most true reggae fans love and long for. Today's reggae is mostly dancehall stuff with lyrics that are as bad as American rap music. Sure, it's highly danceable and that's what is keeping it going. Most of my old head (over 40) Jamaican friends really don't like it much. Soca is a different music and a different style. Trinidad is getting too much credit in the earlier review. In my travels thru the Carribean I was actually surprised to hear more soca than reggae! Most of the smaller nations gravitate more towards soca. I am talking about places like Barbados, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Guyana and on and on. Jamaican is truly the headquarters for Reggae/Dancehall and it's rare that any group without Jamaican groups can hit the charts performing that style of music. Kevin Lyttle from the Virgin Islands scored bit with his "Turn me on" a few years back. Released a year previously as a straight up soca song it did well. Add in a reggae artist and it became an international hit. Rupee from Barbados also has scored a few hits internationally. In addition to Jamaica, soca also has a hard time getting play in the USA. That's also true of reggae and dancehall. But it's more likely that reggae will score maybe 2 or 3 radio hits in the USA each year whereas soca perhaps just one. Either way it's a bad situation for both music genres trying to break into the lucrative USA market. However live soca bands are quite popular in Europe during their massive summer music festivals. Dancehall gets lots of play in the US at venues frequented by the millions of Jamaicans who now live here. Soca musicans work the big carnivals such as NYC and Miami. Now onto the cd review. Byron Lee actually is of Chinese decent but born in Jamaica. He had a small career performing rocksteady and the like before moving to Trinidad. There he formed a huge band that gave up and coming singers exposure. His band was one of the few with a real international tour schedule. The weak point of his band was that they did other people's songs mostly! As on this CD they do decent versions but not as good as the original. In Trinidad his band is known but not thought of as one of the top or legendary bands for the reason cited above regarding lack of hits written by him. I DJ many parties and weddings for people from the Caribbean. I do play some Byron Lee from time to time. Like I said above his music is ok but far from the best. Give him credit for forming various versions of his tour band. Around 1988 he returned to Jamaica and decided to start a carnival parade. The concept was unknown to most Jamaicans but year two had a huge turnout. Jamaicans living abroad are often lumped in with all people from the caribbean. So nightclubs cater to many different nations on many occasions. So here in the US Jamaicans do get to hear Soca and even party to it. While few go out and buy Soca CD's they at least become a little familiar. Achis and others I plead with you to check out singers like Shadow, David Rudder, Destra and others for a more authentic Soca experience. The other thing I want to comment on is that I applaud Trini's for being open to Reggae/Dancehall and other types of music. My fellow Americans are way too closed minded when it comes to music. Don't be like us! I suppose that I am the exception! Big up to Bunji Garlin, Faye Ann, SuperBlue, Charlie Roots and all those who make the wonderful music from T&T. Only 1.5 million people yet so much music!

Definitive Greatest Hits
Definitive Greatest Hits
9 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this!, January 24, 2009
I also have The Absolute Best as well as the Definitive Al Green. Both are digitally remastered. You may not think this is a big deal but it is! I also had a few of his CDs that were produced in the 90s with some of these same songs. The newer digital remastered versions have full sound especially on the high end. Even if you don't have a fancy stereo you can still hear the vast improvement. In some ways I am upset that I now have to purchase remastered versions of many of my cds but it seems to be worth it. For those of you who don't know how the remastering process works...The original master tapes are pulled from the vault. An engineer painstakinly goes thru each track and makes the needed adjustments using computers as well as his trained ear. The track that has been remastered is now digitally recorded at 24 bits, 48KHZ or higher. It is then mixed backdown to the normal cd 16bit/44Khz. If all went well the new product sounds like a new recording. Voices are clear and precise as heard on the master tape. The new result sounds shockingly better than any record or old cd! All 1960s, 70s recordings can benefit from this process. Surprisingly some 90s recordings do to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2009 10:39 PM PDT

Ella Abraca Jobim (20 bit mastering)
Ella Abraca Jobim (20 bit mastering)
Price: $8.99
31 used & new from $3.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, January 21, 2009
It's amazing to see what the original date is on this recording! Thanks to a more recent remaster this cd sounds like it was just recorded! Wow! Ella sounds just fine! She takes some Brazilian classics and sings most of them in English. The parts where she sings in Portuguese sound very convincing. Her band is tremendous and the studio quality really shines through. Keep in mind that most of these songs are Bossa Nova style or samba style. So Ella does sing a little different than normal yet she is still Ella. I consider this to be a must have jazz cd. By the way the title translates to Ella embraces Jobim. (Jobim being the Bossa Nova legend from 1950s, 60s, 70s Brazil...

Skid Row (Full Screen Edition)
Skid Row (Full Screen Edition)
DVD ~ Pras
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $8.03
29 used & new from $1.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, July 15, 2008
I wasn't sure how I would like this film. There are parts that are tough to watch and I found myself wanting to turn away. Yet that's exactly what we middle-class folks do when it comes to the homeless! LA's problem is much worse than I thought, however you can find this situation in most cities around the world. Drugs, mental illness and a society that just doesn't give a darn feed into the problem! I live in a big city and see these types on a regular basis. You learn to ignore them. However this film gives amazing insight into their plight.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2013 5:38 PM PDT

In Concert
In Concert
Price: $17.47
18 used & new from $8.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price!, June 29, 2008
This review is from: In Concert (Audio CD)
This is a good cd in my opinion! It showcases the great Philly style of soul music that I feel is only 2nd to Motown. The Spinners started out in Detroit but moved to Philly probably at the suggestion of one of the singers who was from Philly. Their style changed and they helped to develop the smooth soul sound which became associated with Philly. The only thing that some people may not like is that this cd features the replacement lead singer for Phillipe Wynn. No doubt Phillipe was the heart and soul of this band but I give the new guy credit for doing a decent job on lead vocals. At times he sounds like Phillipe.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4