Profile for Craig > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 127

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig RSS Feed (Mountain View, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence
The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence
by Paul Davies
127 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating and Frustrating like any good philosophy book, March 26, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start by saying that I highly recommend buying this book. I don't recommend the book because it proves that other life forms exist beyond Earth or that is proves other life forms do not exist beyond Earth. I recommend buying this book because it made me think critically and deeply about so many things that encompass life. I thought the book would be about what the subtitle implies "renewing our search for alien intelligence." But the book was so much more. The author starts by discussing the possibility and potential for life to create itself. He looks at how life started on Earth and then thinks about how we can extrapolate this to other worlds. And it is the extrapolation that is so interesting. He really seems to cover all the possible scenarios, which can be frustrating. If you want the book to tell you there are ET's out there, it won't. By covering all of the bases, the author spends a lot of time showing how we could be the only life in the universe. He also shows us that through all of the possible research and experiments that could show us that life can be created more than once none of them have shown us that any other life could be created. There could be millions of worlds out there with life or there could only be us.

If other life does exist, the author then starts to wonder why we have not contacted that other life or discovered it. This section is also very interesting, because it gets you thinking about the purpose for life and how different events in history can change how life may develop and decide to reach out into space. For example, the author talks about how Greek philosophy and Christianity were a very important part of our scientific method developing, and how a different culture on another planet might not even have developed scientific method just as other groups on earth have not focused on a scientific method. The potential permutations and possibilities really get you thinking about our world and society, which was a pleasant surprise. Thinking about the development of alien life really expands how you think about life on Earth.

And because alien life could be much more advanced than on Earth, the author spends some time looking at how that life could be different from us. And of course, this leads to the idea that any biological life that has advanced to a certain point would become integrated with or surpassed by non-organic life. So it is possible that the machines take over.

The only real possibility the author leaves off the table is any supernatural cause for life. And while he does poke fun Christianity a bit, he is honest about not knowing how life started. And while he devotes much of his life to the search for life outside of Earth, he is honest that it may not exist. Again, this book introduces so many variable about life and the search for life and gets the reader thinking about so many things related to the development of life, I would highly recommend it as a way for you to really give your brain a treat whether you believe in alien life or not. I don't believe in alien life, but the book was very enjoyable.

Balance Carb Well Nutrition Energy Bar, Caramel 'N Chocolate, 1.76 oz (50 g) (Pack of 15)

5.0 out of 5 stars My second favorite low carb bar., March 16, 2010
Now that Balance Bar has stopped making the chocolate fudge low carb bars, this has become my favorite low carb bar. It is similar in taste to a Milky Way, but the reduction in carbs means it is not nearly as tasty. But in the low carb world it is much better tasting than other bars I have had. It does not have a saw dust kind of flavor that many bars have. I tend to have one of these about every other day as a snack, and it keeps my sweet tooth in check.

The Rise and Fall of Senator Joe McCarthy
The Rise and Fall of Senator Joe McCarthy
by James Giblin
Price: $15.77
111 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, but nothing new., March 16, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoyed the book as a simple biography of Joe McCarthy. However, there isn't really anything new here that hasn't been written in other more in depth and scholarly books. The author talks about his sources, and they are minimal and even include Wikipedia. At this time, I don't think we can consider Wikipedia an accurate source. This book would have been much more interesting if it wasn't just a composite of a couple other books and articles that have already been written about Joe McCarthy. Some new source material from interviews or maybe some other insights into McCarthy might have made this a really good biography. I walked away feeling that I really didn't know what made McCarthy tick.

Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
by Sara Miles
Price: $16.46
71 used & new from $4.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Jesus freak but not completely, February 25, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The author, a born again Christian, seeks to show Christians that they can live the life that Jesus calls them to live. That we can step outside of just going to church on Sunday and get involved in the community. She attempts to show us how we can feed the poor, heal the sick, forgive, and raise the dead like Jesus. However, I have a problem with the limitations that the author places on each of these actions. For example, healing is not about curing someone. Healing becomes "the simple gift of presence" or just being there for someone while they are sick or injured. Jesus' ministry also had a basic function of spreading the gospel through all of his actions. Feeding the poor, healing, forgiving, and raising the dead were all just means to the end of sharing the gospel. While the author does refer to her conversion and love of Jesus often in the book, she does not link her actions with sharing Jesus with others. Her food pantry is associated with a church, but she makes it clear that there isn't a religious basis for the feeding of the poor. There are people of all faiths and no faith working together in her food pantry. The food pantry gives the poor physical food but does not supply spiritual food. I can't recommend this book because the author has not really sold out for Jesus and so the actions that she lays out for us to do in the world are often hollow distortions of what Jesus really meant for us to do. I would recommend the Christian read the gospels and actually go out and share them through doing good works.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 PM PST

U218 Singles
U218 Singles
Price: $11.99
118 used & new from $0.29

2.0 out of 5 stars It should include their singles., February 22, 2010
This review is from: U218 Singles (Audio CD)
This is an OK greatest hits type of album, but since the title includes the word "Singles", they should have included more singles. The cover picture just screams for singles from Boy and October. This would have been much better if the less than memorable unreleased songs were left off for more singles. I would recommend getting their other two greatest hits so you get better coverage.

A Reality Tour
A Reality Tour
Price: $11.88
72 used & new from $7.10

4.0 out of 5 stars I only recommend this CD for seasoned Bowie fans, February 21, 2010
This review is from: A Reality Tour (Audio CD)
Unlike what the product description and several reviews say, this is not a live greatest hits or a good starter for new Bowie listeners. This is a good concert CD of Bowie, but part of why it is good is that it gives seasoned Bowie fans more than just the hits played as you would hear them on the original albums. This CD really only containts a handful of his hits, and most songs sound quite different from how they sound on the studio releases. Bowie and the band improvise quite a bit, so every song is unique in its sound from anything a Bowie fan has heard before. If you are new to Bowie, then I would recommend getting one of his greatest hits compilations or going back almost to the beginning and getting his third studio album, The Man Who Sold The World. If you are already a Bowie fan, then this is a fine album to give you even more Bowie.

The Darkness
The Darkness
by Jason Pinter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
141 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice thriller, January 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first Pinter novel, and unlike other readers, I did not think I needed to read his previous novels in the series to read The Darkness. The book starts off strong, and then continued to keep my interest, though maybe a bit too much time was spent on character development that maybe allows things to flow better in future books in the series. For most of the book, I wasn't able to tell what was going to happen next, and I really like that in a thriller. I also got a kick out of the cold hearted lengths the antagonists would go to in order to get what they wanted. There is an extra excitement to a book like this when we are introduced to the protagonist's wife, and based on how the bad guy has acted in the past, we wonder if the wife will be attacked later in the book. I would buy the book and recommend it to others.

The Year of Living like Jesus: My Journey of Discovering What Jesus Would Really Do
by Ed Dobson
Price: $15.82
138 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A year of living like Dobson, January 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was really looking forward to seeing the results of a pastor spending a year living like Jesus and discovering what Jesus would really do. The title of the book was just too good to pass up. And for the first couple of chapters, I got just what I was wanting and more. I had not even thought about all the Jewish aspects to living like Jesus, and I was intrigued to see how living under the law would affect the author. Unfortunately, Pastor Dobson decided to stray from his mission. Instead of living like Jesus, Dobson started living like himself. For example he decided to spend a lot of time reading and rereading the gospels, and he spent of lot of time trying out different forms of prayer that would have been completely foreign to Jesus. Instead of living like Jesus, I think the pastor did a good job of living like so many of us who can't give up our lives to fully embrace the life that Christ calls us to live. We want to live like Jesus, but our lives and our own wants distract us, and next thing you know we are no longer living like Jesus. It was really heart breaking to watch the pastor write out in a book how he thought he was living like Jesus, yet in reality showing us how he went astray.

The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway Mysteries)
The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway Mysteries)
by Elly Griffiths
Price: $25.00
50 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars You can find better mystery reads right now, January 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Crossing Places is the latest book about a person who studies bones and uses their skill to help the authorities solve a murder. I first ran into this sub genre with Kathy Reichs' novels, and then with Bones on television. In this case, Ruth Galloway is an archeologist who helps the authorities to identify the bones of a little girl. From that point Ruth is pulled into an old case of a kidnapping and a related recent kidnapping. While the pursuit of kidnappers can make for an interesting read, the book spends a lot of time delving into the life of a 40 year old professor who doesn't have many friends other than her cats. She is not a very interesting character, and while she does help the case with her knowledge, the real breakthroughs in the case come from her accidentally stumbling upon things. I am not a fan of a mystery that eventually gets solved just by accident. It turns out that we don't need a professor of archeology to solve the problem. We just need a scared woman stumbling through the dark scared out of her mind. I would recommend trying out the Kathy Reichs books instead.

America's Prophet: Moses and the American Story
America's Prophet: Moses and the American Story
by Bruce Feiler
Price: $19.53
239 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I learned quite a few new things with this book, November 23, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is the rare religious book that actually covers something new where I can learn something. So often I just read the same information or ideas with slightly different wording. America's Prophet gave me a lot of completely new information. The author walks us through different times of US history to show us how much of an influence Moses had on the time and people. I found myself pulling out a highlighter to highlight several historical facts that I did not know about, and highlighting several religious ideas that I had not picked up on before.
The author gave me all this new information while also writing in a way that was entertaining, and introducing me to several interesting people through interviews. I would buy this book, and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new book about Moses that actually gives us something new.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13