Profile for Craig > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 131

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig RSS Feed (Mountain View, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite tech gadget of the year, June 19, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
I have had my Echo for a bit over a month now, and I am really enjoying it. It is much smaller than I was thinking it would be, only about a foot tall and a diameter of a few inches. Setup was pretty easy and only took about 10 minutes. Setup includes adding an app on a phone or tablet. I set up the app on an iPod mini. The Echo can be controlled from the app or through voice commands to the Echo. You start a command by using the wake up word "Alexa". For example, "Alexa, play my Prime Music" or "Alexa, what time is it in China?" The Echo was surprisingly good at understanding my voice right out of the box. It also has a voice recognition training program to allow it to become even more familiar with voice commands. I have never had the Echo not recognize the words that I say.
For me, the real reason for the echo is to be able to play music in the bedroom. I am a Prime member, so the Echo has access to my Prime Music library, and all the Prime stations. The Echo also has access to iHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio, Pandora, and Audible. I started out listening to my Prime Music. I set up a variety of playlists. The Echo was able to play the playlists, genres, albums, artists, and songs without any trouble. It hasn't always been perfect. Sometimes when I ask for a genre or playlist, the Echo will ignore my command to use Prime, and instead got to TuneIn. However, refining what I asked for helped to solve most of these glitches and get me what I wanted. Of course, Amazon's Prime library and playlists aren't always the best, and that had me connecting to my Pandora station. I use the free version of Pandora, which means I get commercials, but on the Echo, I seem to get about one short commercial every 15 minutes or so. Not bad. Pandora gives me the variety and larger music library that I like. It isn't as good as Rhapsody, because I can't pick the songs I want to hear, but it is pretty good at getting me music that I like. I can also pick what I want to hear from the app on my tablet. The Echo allows the user to rate songs in music applications that allow rating. I just say "Alexa, thumbs up" or Alexa, thumbs down" and my rating is saved. The speaker system in such a small package is pretty good too. It isn't to the quality level of my stereo speakers, but the sound is much better than I expected. The volume also has a good range. It can go from very quiet to loud enough that i can hear it from the other side of the house. I adjust the volume with a command like "Alexa, volume 8".
In addition to music, the Echo can provide news briefs. There are a selection of news organizations like NPR, ESPN, The Economist, etc that provide small news briefs during the day. These briefs aren't the most timely, because I found it impossible to get sports scores or other breaking news information. I could get weather. The Echo can act as an alarm clock, but it only gives a subtle bong sound as an alarm. I am hoping that eventually they will program it to play music on waking. Every week Amazon seems to add some more functionality, so I expect this useful little computer will just get better and better. I fully recommend it.

Gold Toe Men's Cotton Over the Calf Athletic Sock 3-Pack, Black,  Size: 6-12 1/2
Gold Toe Men's Cotton Over the Calf Athletic Sock 3-Pack, Black, Size: 6-12 1/2
Offered by Sterling Attire
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice socks but they are thick to provide cushioning., May 22, 2015
I wear regular Gold Toe socks to work, where I wear a suit. They are the perfect socks for slacks and dress shoes. I expected that these socks would of a similar thickness but longer, so I could wear them with cowboy boots. They are plenty long, so they stay up over the calf. However, these socks are thicker than the dress version. These are thick like athletic socks.

Marvel NBA Thor Golden State Warriors Mens L Graphic T Shirt - Fifth Sun
Marvel NBA Thor Golden State Warriors Mens L Graphic T Shirt - Fifth Sun
Offered by PosterRevolution
Price: $24.13
2 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great shirt that does run a bit small, May 22, 2015
Two of my favorite things together in Thor and the Golden State Warriors. I was lucky enough to wear this shirt to the Avengers Age of Ultron opening weekend and now to watch the Warriors in the playoffs. The shirt is good quality 100% cotton. The seams and hems are well sewn. I got the XL figuring it would be a bit baggy, since I am normally between a large and XL. However, this shirt isn't baggy at all, so it runs small. Not a full size too small, but it will be smaller than other shirts you have of the same size.

Nuts 'N More Peanut Butter, Chocolate, 16 Ounce
Nuts 'N More Peanut Butter, Chocolate, 16 Ounce
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $13.01
8 used & new from $5.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with regular nut butters, April 28, 2015
I have tried the nuts 'n more and the P28 brands of peanut butter in their various flavors. None of them are fantastic. They are OK. I figure they mix whey protein powder of some kind into the peanut butter, because they all have a gritty texture that you don't get from regular peanut butter or from non-powder forms of protein. I tend to prefer the taste of the P28 brand a bit more. However, the truth is that regular peanut butter has about 8 grams of protein per serving, while these give you 14 grams. You only get 6 more grams of protein, but you lose so much flavor and the price of these added protein versions is usually more than 3 times the price of regular organic peanut butter. I would recommend getting regular organic peanut butter or almond butter, and getting your added protein from some other source.

John Constantine, Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Original Sins
John Constantine, Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Original Sins
by Jamie Delano
Price: $9.89
69 used & new from $5.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one, December 17, 2014
I have been a long time fan of more mainstream comics, but I had heard good things about Hellblazer, so I decided to give volume 1 a try. It didn't impress me. The plots were interesting, but the writing and the art were poor. The poor art was really a distraction. I would recommend skipping this book.

CASIO G-SHOCK GA-400-9BJF JAPAN IMPORT
CASIO G-SHOCK GA-400-9BJF JAPAN IMPORT
Offered by Traveller Watches
Price: $140.74
17 used & new from $123.58

3.0 out of 5 stars A basic watch, November 4, 2014
I have purchased several G-Shock watches over the years, and I have enjoyed all of them for one reason or another. I purchased the GA-400-9BJF, because of the colors. I wanted a watch to wear to college games, and my college colors are navy blue and yellow. This watch fit the color purpose, but otherwise this isn't a very interesting watch. On the main screen, it gives you the month, day of the month, day of the week, and the time. The time is given in both a digital display and with analog hour and minute hands. The watch comes with a stop watch, a countdown timer, and five alarms (one with a snooze). You are also able to check out the time in other time zones. The watch comes with a battery instead of tough solar charging and doesn't have an atomic time setting function. I have two cons for this watch. First, is the illumination. For a couple of decades we have had back lighting available, and all my G-Shocks have this feature, which makes it really easy to see the time in the dark. Instead of this kind of helpful illumination, this watch has a little LED light that shines in from the bottom. It is difficult to make out the time and impossible to see the date information in the dark. My other con is that this pretty basic watch is being sold for $150 or above. There are much better G-Shocks with much better features being sold for less, so unless you want the color combination, as I did, I can't recommend buying this watch.

Maximum Human Performance Power Pudding Diet Supplements, Vanilla, 8.8oz - 6 Count
Offered by Swanson Health Products
Price: $18.99
13 used & new from $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protein with few carbs, August 31, 2014
This is by far my favorite protein supplement. This has the texture of regular pudding. While the taste of many Quest bars is better, the taste of the vanilla pudding is pretty good. It does have a bit of a protein supplement taste, but when you get so much protein and so few carbs, losing a little flavor is worth it.

Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl Lined Detail Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor
Price: $31.80
4 used & new from $31.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Gives an OK shave but plastic bits break easily, August 31, 2014
I have had this razor for half a year, and I liked it until recently. It gives a good shave. It is well balanced and shaped to give a close shave. I knock off one star because my lost heavy duty Merkur gave a better shave and had a better feel. I knock another star because it is a bit difficult to change the blade. While unscrewing the head, I have not found a way to not touch the blade, so I use a towel. On my Merkur, there was a knob on the bottom of the handle that you turned to loosen the blade. That was a wonderful idea. It is just too bad that the cheap plating on the Merkur flaked off in less than a year. Finally, I remove a third star because after half a year, I dropped the razor in the shower, and discovered that it had a plastic post that snapped like a twig from a fall of a few feet. For $30, I expect a razor to survive a drop in the shower. I pulled out the Merkur when the Jagger broke, and was reminded how much better it felt to shave with the Merkur. Since they are only about $10 difference in price, I think I will go get a new Merkur instead of another Jagger.

EXTRA VIEILLE Jean Marie Farina for Men by Roger & Gallet, 3.3 ounce, 100ml EDC Spray
Price: $39.90
20 used & new from $36.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Great scent that disappears quickly, August 31, 2014
I give the scent five stars. It has a great orange citrus scent. Easily one of the best I have come across. I knock the overall rating down to a three, because this great scent disappears after about half an hour. A scent isn't great when you only get to enjoy it while you are getting ready, and by the time you get to your destination, it is gone.

Modify Watches Original Modify Watch (White Watch Gray Strap)
Modify Watches Original Modify Watch (White Watch Gray Strap)
Offered by Modify Watches
Price: $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The watch for every occasion, August 28, 2014
I have been wearing Modify Watches for a couple of years. I discovered the brand when they started selling a Cal Berkeley specific version. Since then, I have aquired about 100 of the straps and around 100 of the faces. Half of these purchases have been as gifts. I am able to combine any face with any of the straps, so right now I won't have to wear the exact same watch again for over five years, and truthfully, I have only worn a couple combinations more than once because of all the possibilities. The straps are awesome. They are very soft and flexible, so they feel good on the wrist. While every other reviewer to date has given the product five stars, I do take one star away, because at times, I have received a faulty face. Of course, I have bought around 100 of them, so I am probably the quality department's worse nightmare. Also I must point out that they sell the faces for under $30, so the quality is pretty good considering the price. I should also point out that their customer service is second to none. Whenever I have had an issue, they have been quick to respond. That means they get back to me in 24 hours, and I have the replacement in two days.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14