Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Gracie > Reviews

Gracie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gracie RSS Feed (S.Wales)

Vine's Expository Reference Edition, Holy Bible (New King James Version)
Vine's Expository Reference Edition, Holy Bible (New King James Version)
by Thomas Nelson Publishers

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Bible, June 21, 2011
I was pleasantly surprised by this Bible. It is 'personal size' and fits in your hand very comfortably to read.

It has a 66 page concordance and the Vines dictionary at the back, plus very good centre references. The Vines note references to guide readers to the correct words are at the bottom of the page and nicely unobtrusive.

Times font, about size 9 only disappointment is that it's single spaced.

A lovely package, which is a nice size, weight and with good reference tools that is portable to take to church and study groups.

Holy Bible Wide Margin Center-Column Reference Edition
Holy Bible Wide Margin Center-Column Reference Edition
by Thomas Nelson
Edition: Leather Bound
6 used & new from $299.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Note taking, & personal study, June 21, 2011
This is a very nice Bible. In layout it is very similar to the Cambridge Pitt Minion wide margin Bible, but in Times single spaced, and it is much cheaper.

The paper is significantly thicker than other Bibles and as such will be good for careful note-taking with acid-free ink.

It has approximately 1 1/4 inch margins, though as other reviewers have pointed out the top margin is little more than half inch. References are plentiful and there is an adequate concordance at the back.

where it loses a star;

1. The Times font and single spaced kerning, not for my eyes as one reviewer suggested, rather, for a Bible design for annotation the lines of text are too close together to underline passages easily. Luckily, I just found some rare Bible highlight pencils! Also Times is an old fashioned font.

2. The concordance is only 66 pages, where as my Nelson NKJV Study Bible has a concordance of 195 pages, and again as a Bible designed for study I would have expected the same in this edition.

3. I would have liked all books to start on a new page, though where they overlap, there is a space, but still ...

4. The Bonded leather feels a bit plastic and although I always look after my Bibles, I suspect this may fall apart (like all my other Nelson Bibles - hope I'm wrong.)

Overall, a very good buy, I do think this is a Study Bible - a Personal Study Bible, one where you add your your own Spirit-led inspiration and notes rather than rely on someone else's - often a result of learning and group consensus, as opposed to inspiration. Sadly, it lacks the blank note pages of the Cambridge wide-margin Bibles as well as my other study Bibles, and the words of Christ are in Black, which some prefer, but may be a disappointment to others.

That said, I'm looking forward to sitting down and putting my notes in this Bible.

Moving Mountains: Lessons in Bold Faith from Great Evangelical Leaders
Moving Mountains: Lessons in Bold Faith from Great Evangelical Leaders
by Paul L. King
36 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Faith You'll ever read., February 1, 2011
I don't exaggerate when I state that this is probably the best book I've ever read, (with the exception of the Bible) It is without a doubt the most balanced, inspiring work not only about faith, but also a catalogue of the lives of men and women alike, who have had incredible ministries and lived selfless lives for the Lord, that saw miracles and revivals galore. Not just a book to read, it has study notes at the end of every chapter that challenge the reader to think on what they've just read and how to apply it to their lives. So you could use it for group study.

I have read many books by many modern authors on the subject of faith, after all Hebrews tells us that without faith it is impossible to please God, but most (not all) have twisted the truth and offer a gospel of greed in a "name it and claim it" counter-movement to the truth of Godly faith.

Don't get me wrong, I not only believe that God wants to bless His children, I know it for sure because the Bible is full of examples, but it just seems that Christians I meet these days are seeking the blessings of God first, when the Bible tells us to "seek first, the Kingdom of Heaven."

I challenge anyone who is truly seeking Godly faith, and who wants to live an extraordinary life for God to read this book. If you only read the first chapter ...