Profile for Aaron Davis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 79

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aaron Davis RSS Feed (Ewa Beach, HI)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Sycamore Row: A Novel
Sycamore Row: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable return to familiar characters, March 5, 2014
John Graham has based two other novels and one collection of short stories in Ford County. This fictional setting resembles Canton, MS and offers a wealth of characters and stories. In Sycamore Row, Grisham returns to this setting.

The story follows Jake Brigance just a few years after the Carl Lee Hailey trial (A Time to Kill). This time he is in a high dollar will contest tainted by racial tension and dark secrets.

Fans will enjoy a look at previous protagonists and antagonists as well as the quirky backwater legal strategies. Unfortunately, it lacks the suspense of many Grisham novels. All in all, it is not his best, but certainly enjoyable.

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
Price: $9.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful CBT Tool for Anxiety and Depression, February 10, 2014
Ever find yourself depressed or anxious for "no reason?"

This book serves as a great tool for exploring past feelings and into the thoughts that create them. It simplifies depression and anxiety down to specific thought patterns.

Some will not like the book's approach. It puts almost all the responsibility of changing such behaviors on the person. Not a drug, not a therapist, but on the person. Be warned, this book is not the cure either. It is the coach that outlines your training program.

For me, someone who can deal with moderate depression and anxiety from time to time, this book has given me a lot to work on. The process did not end with the last chapter, it began, but I am looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

I highly recommend it for anyone else dealing with the same.

Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing
Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, not $10 stuff, December 31, 2013
First of all, anytime a successful author shares his or her tricks of the trade, less successful authors should take note. This book give 10 "rules" of writing from Elmore Leonard. They are quite simple and often missed. They are valuable to remember and I found myself saying "I need to go back and fix that" regarding my ever in the works novel.

Unfortunately, this is not a master class. This is 10 rules with about a paragraph explanation each. I was a little disappointed to have paid $10 for such a light book. I was hoping to go a bit deeper.

If this is ever available for $.99 or even $1.99, by all means snatch it up. Pay more than that and you will probably be let down.

Super Pet My First Home Complete Guinea Pig Kit
Super Pet My First Home Complete Guinea Pig Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Like my home. Need escape hatch, December 30, 2013
My name is Cookie. The bipeds have all left for the day and I found one of thier "puters." After scrolling though endless sites about the goodness of hay, I found the biped's Amazon order page and thought I'd review my home.

It is a great home. I feel quite snug and secure in it. It had all the accessories that my favorite biped needed to make me comfortable and give me food and water. He did have to get a few extra things though, like a hay bin and a hiding place. That sure makes life better for me.

I only have one complaint. The bipeds recently brought a new biped into the home. This biped is much smaller and does not seem to recognize that I need my own space. It sticks its nose right into my cage and always reaches its sticky fingers towards me. I think my home would be better if it featured an escape hatch and an underground lair. In fact, the lair could be some sort of laboratory where I could conduct my experiments. Perhaps the company will consider this as an add-on feature in the future.

Meanwhile I am happy and cozy in my home with a few small additions. SQUEAL! I just heard a biped coming. I need to get back into my home!

By for now! Be kind to your Guinea Pigs!

Base Ball Slippers for Toddler Boys L/9-10
Base Ball Slippers for Toddler Boys L/9-10
Offered by Yankee Toy Box LLC
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A little snug, December 30, 2013
These are a little snug, but otherwise, they are made well and our toddler loves them! My recommendation is to order a size bigger and let them grow into them. It is clear that they will not fit for long at the "right" size.

Euler's Spinning Disk
Euler's Spinning Disk
Offered by Peanuts Toy Barn
Price: $29.99
26 used & new from $23.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Very simple...why can't we stop playing with it?, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Euler's Spinning Disk (Toy)
This is a pretty simple concept. Spin the disk and watch it spin and warble until it stops.

So why can't we stop playing with it?

There is something almost hypnotic about the way it spins. Maybe it is the images that the magnets produce. Maybe it is they way it almost looks like it is floating above the mirror surface. Maybe it is the way that as it spins less it makes more noise giving the impression that it is building speed not the other way around. Either way, this simple toy is fascinating!

Nautica Men's Pajama Shirt and Short Set, Maritime Navy, Large
Nautica Men's Pajama Shirt and Short Set, Maritime Navy, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars A little on the big side, December 26, 2013
The size is a little larger than expected. I wear a large and this feels more like and extra large. All the same, it is a well crafted, comfortable T-shirt and short set.

Pint Size Pirate Halloween Costume - Size 3T-4T - Disguise
Pint Size Pirate Halloween Costume - Size 3T-4T - Disguise

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toddler costume!, December 26, 2013
Arrr!

Our two year old loved this pirate costume and we found it very easy to get him in to. No problems with this and Halloween was great!

BEYOND JUSTICE
BEYOND JUSTICE
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Debut Effort, December 26, 2013
This review is from: BEYOND JUSTICE (Kindle Edition)
After looking at the negative reviews, it seems there are some disclaimers to make:
1) This is not a book by John Grisham, nor is it a book similar to John Grisham. Graham has his own voice and his own way of telling stories. Though marketed as a legal thriller, the suspense of the story comes from far outside the courtroom. This is something different. Supernatural thriller or crime drama might be a better designation.

2) This is a Christian book. Some seemed bothered by the fact that the faith of the characters plays a role in their development of the story. I don't understand that. I've read a lot of different books and characters express lots of faith, and if the character is really developed, then he or she will bring beliefs to bear on the story. However, since it seems to be a sensitive subject, let it be known that characters in this book do express Christian beliefs and some attempts are made to persuade non-believing characters to believe. You've been warned.

3) This book pushes the limits that are usually set by Christian fiction. There is a little more violence and offensive language that one might normally expect in a Christian book. It is not more than what one will find in mainstream fiction, but certainly more than what one finds in a Christian bookstore. You've been warned.

I am not bothered by any of the facts above, so I'll proceed with my review.

As for this debut novel from Joshua Graham, it is a complicated story with some powerful themes. The story does not take a straight and predictable road, but rather twists and turns its way into difficult territory.

Of course, not story is perfect and this is no exception. At times the characters seem a little unrealistic (lawyers being naive of the legal system, for example). There are some technical inaccuracies as well (death row inmates being assigned in either segregated or general populations at the whim of a guard, for example). Most independent novels can stand a little more editing. Frankly, it seems like it might be better to let an author produce a book even if editing is lacking than to have turned it over to a publishing house. Sure, the publisher would have cleaned up these blemishes, but more would be lacking.

The most admirable aspect into this book is that it tackles the concept of forgiving the seemingly unforgivable. This is territory that was explored by "The Shack" but not well. Graham attempts to take this on in a more realistic way and I respect him for it. I would like to see more ink devoted to this aspect of the characters' journeys, but perhaps he will do that with another story.

All in all, it would be worth reading more by Graham. He will certainly improve and with that being the case, his future work will be something to watch for!

The Night Before Christmas: The Classic Edition
The Night Before Christmas: The Classic Edition
Price: $3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but poor ebook, December 24, 2013
Wish the pages filled my screen. This is a poor transfer from book to ebook. However the artwork and classic poem are as good as ever.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8