Profile for RD > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RD RSS Feed

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory: Book One (Star Trek Next Generation: Cold Equations)
by David Mack
Price: $7.19
115 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars God awful., March 20, 2013
Based on all of the glowing reviews, I bought all 3 "Cold Equations" books by this unknown author.

I read half of the first one and was so repulsed by the pompous writing style, that I packed all of the books up and returned them to Amazon for a refund.

Will never read anything by this author again.

If you liked them, good for you.

Serpents Among the Ruins 2311 (Star Trek: The Lost Era)
Serpents Among the Ruins 2311 (Star Trek: The Lost Era)
by David R. George III
28 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands on its own as a great book: Star Trek or not., March 13, 2013
You never quite know what you're going to get when you open up a Star Trek book. The quality varies so much per author. You figure, if it's slightly less than mediocre, it's OK. Sadly, that's how it is with these Star Trek books. That's why this book was a very pleasant surprise. It wasn't just a good Trek book. It was a good book in general. It had all the earmarks of being bad: a long book about a character that was on screen in ST VI (?) for about 3 minutes: Capt. Harriman. Who even would remember him? Well, this author did and he created an entire world around this character--totally fleshing him out in an intriguing story. The writing flowed very nicely and a real sense of suspense was created throughout. One of the best Star Trek books I've read in a very long time, and just a good book period.

Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night
Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night
by David Mack
Price: $6.05
121 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Just plain boring, March 13, 2013
I've read close to 100 Star Trek books. This one did not work for me. I found the interplay between the characters very shallow. There was no sense of believability. The plot was very contrived. Overall, there was nothing that made me want to continue to read it. I couldn't wait to put it down. I tried several times but couldn't get into it at all. A brainless and boring writing style. Eventually, I had to stop reading it. I know there are many overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon which I don't quite understand. I would not recommend this author.