ARRAY(0xa94e499c)

Customer Reviews: 76

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Booklover848 "Booklover848" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Abducted (The Lizzy Gardner Series #1)
Abducted (The Lizzy Gardner Series #1)
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Cat Lovers BEWARE! Don't buy this book!, January 20, 2014
I started out reading this book and it's pretty good but then I got to the part of the book where Lizzie gets up, her cat doesn't come to greet her, Spiderman calls and he's killed her cat, Maggie and have to stop reading. I love animals and own cats and I cannot bring myself to read something about the killing of a cat! I wish the author had put a disclaimer about animal cruelty in the description because I would NEVER have bought the book! I would read some of the authors other books but she is obviously not an animal person and is open to writing about animal cruelty which I cannot handle so TR Ragan is off my reading list!

Love American Style - Season 1, Vol. 1
Love American Style - Season 1, Vol. 1
Offered by rightpricedvd
Price: $20.25
42 used & new from $12.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Selling by Volume Ruins the Whole Series!, December 27, 2013
What idiot decided it was a good idea to sell the series by volume? And to price the individual volumes as high as most DVD's are priced for an entire season? Series like this one are fun to watch but they are NOT the kind of shows you absolutely have to have - they are more the kind of shows that people remember with fond nostalgia and buy only if the price is right and they are browsing at the right time. Bad idea, Amazon!

The Love Boat: Seasons One & Two
The Love Boat: Seasons One & Two
DVD ~ Gavin Macleod
Price: $46.99
35 used & new from $46.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun but too expensive!, December 15, 2013
I enjoyed the Love Boat when it was on the air and I would have been happy to buy it but I don't like the way it has been marketed or priced. First, it was sold in over priced volumes and now it is priced too high to own for seasons 1 and 2. This is an older show that was fun and light but it isn't must own TV so it shouldn't be priced like it is!

Thankless in Death
Thankless in Death
by J.D. Robb
Price: $17.32
223 used & new from $0.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Misguided and Ghostwritten!, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Thankless in Death (Hardcover)
Let me start by saying that I used to LOVE the "In Death" series. I've read every book in the series and up to "From NY to Dallas" they were all stellar! The last few books have gone downhill and this is the worst one yet! The edge is gone and the characters are confusing because they sometimes act like themselves but for the most part they seem to lack authenticity. I know characters can grow but these changes do not feel like growth they feel like poor imitations. They also feel as if someone else is writing the books and not very well!

There is no edge, no suspense and no intrigue in this book. The author seems to think violence equals edge and that is not the case. It's also not how violence was used in the earlier books which reinforces my theory that Nora didn't write this one! This book has more violence than is appropriate (including some animal cruelty which I didn't care for) and yet the perpetrator of said violence comes across as more pathetically spoiled rather than evil or crazy. It probably doesn't help that you know right from the beginning of the book who the killer is so all the casework feels more busy than compelling.

The catching of the criminal was anticlimactic because the plotline didn't do enough to get the reader invested in the story. Seeing Nixie again was nice as was spending more time with Roarke's Irish relatives but they were used as filler and if we weren't going to get a real mystery then we should have had more time with the other characters we know and love; Crack, Mavis, Nadine, Feeney, McNab, Jamie, Charles and Louise. It would have been nice to spend more time with Nixie and her new family also.

This book just feels wrong. It feels as though it was written by someone who is just going through the motions. I miss the depth of the old storylines and the connection the author used to have to her characters. I suspect this book was ghostwritten but if it wasn't then Nora has obviously lost interest in writing the series. Such a shame...the series used to be so good and now I don't know if I will bother to buy the next book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 2:06 PM PDT

Home Front: A Novel
Home Front: A Novel
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and Heartbreaking!, August 26, 2013
I read this book in one day because once I started the book I could not put it down! This book gives you an incredible heroine in Jolene who is dealing with some very realistic struggles; a problematic marriage, growing children, a love that became complaisant, residual childhood baggage etc. All of that would be challenging enough on it's own however Jolene is military and forced to deal with her family and marriage from a distance when she is deployed to Iraq. We see every point of view in this book from every character which really adds depth to the story. The passages about the fighting in Iraq are well written and yet sensitive. I think the thing that makes this book hit home so hard is it's resemblence to real life for the brave men and women serving in our military. You can feel the desperation and hardship of combat...the extreme weather, non-stop threat of death, pain of missing family, the loss of comrades in arms, the inability to trust the locals or even relax for a moment and then the torture of coming home and living with what you've experienced while you try integrating back into a civilian family and community that can never truly understand what you've been through. The book also addresses what life is like for the family members left behind and reminds you that our military families are sacrificing just as much as the soldiers who serve. This book made me think and made me cry. I cannot recommend it enough!

Disney's The Kid
Disney's The Kid
DVD ~ Bruce Willis
Price: $8.75
122 used & new from $1.42

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See for Every Adult!, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Disney's The Kid (DVD)
I loved this movie and I think it is a must see for every adult! How many of us have wished that we knew then what we know now? Well, in this film Russ Duritz gets the chance to not only convey some knowledge to his eight year old self; he gets to look back at the life experiences that shaped him and see them through the eyes of an adult with a mature perspective as opposed to viewing them as a vulnerable child. I think this is the best film Bruce Willis has ever made, Lily Tomlin gives new meaning to the words "scene stealer" as Russ's sharp and witty admin, Spencer Breslin is perfectly cast as "the Kid" and Emily Mortimer is perfect as the love interest Duritz doesn't know he has. This film is phenomenal and should be a part of every collection!

Water for Elephants
Water for Elephants
DVD ~ Robert Pattinson
Price: $4.99
40 used & new from $1.37

1.0 out of 5 stars An Insult to a Great Book!, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Water for Elephants (DVD)
The book was wonderful, a must read however the film is a must miss! Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson have zero chemistry and Pattinson is not masculine enough for the part. The plot does not have the depth of the book either which is a shame. I know that it can be difficult to transfer books to the silver screen but this one is a truly terrible effort! The sets are beautiful but that does not make up for the other areas that are sadly lacking. Save your money!

Sticky Fingers (Roxy Abruzzo)
Sticky Fingers (Roxy Abruzzo)
Price: $8.89

5.0 out of 5 stars This wonderful book will keep you invested until the end!, August 9, 2013
Book One in this series was good and it really set the stage nicely for book two which is even better! In this book, we get a great mystery and we really get to know the characters. Roxy is as edgy as ever but she is becoming more self aware and we really get to see her grow. There is more interaction with Flynn and we get to see the push/pull of that relationship but we also get a nice deviation from most mysteries that feature a female protagonist and their nearly inevitable love triangle because in this book there isn't a love triangle. This book uses the personality and history of the two potential lovers to keep them apart and it works beautifully. We see more of the supporting cast and the relationships between people as Roxy works to solve the mystery. I sense some pending relationship complications but in the interest of spoiler avoidance I won't comment further. This book was great and kept me invested until the very last word! It also sets up book three which I know will be brilliant and which I can't wait to read!

Foxy Roxy (Roxy Abruzzo)
Foxy Roxy (Roxy Abruzzo)
Price: $7.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start to a promising series!, August 9, 2013
I almost didn't read this book because I read book one in Nancy Martin's Blackbird Sisters series and found it to be trite and difficult to get through. Roxy Abruzzo seemed to be a different kind of heroine and I saw some good reviews on several sites so I decided to give the series a try and I am glad I did! Roxy is different...she's an edgy single mother with her own moral code and a family life that is now pretty good but it wasn't always that way. There is a great cast of supporting characters, a terrific potential love interest in Flynn and some nice plot development here. Book one is good and sets the stage for the series nicely though I think book two is even better. If you like edgy, complicated, gutsy heroines then spend some time with Roxy Abruzzo - you won't regret it.

Forever (1978 TV-movie)
Forever (1978 TV-movie)
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings back some memories..., July 19, 2013
This review is from: Forever (1978 TV-movie) (VHS Tape)
I wasn't allowed to watch this when it aired on network television but my parents went out that night and naturally I turned on the television and sat glued to it for the entire movie! I was a young teen and I remember really identifying with Kath and having such a crush on Michael. I also remember picking up a few things that were not covered in sex ed! I think this movie should be re-released for teens...it is still relevant and it does a great job of being true, informative, entertaining and touching but without being overly provocative.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8