Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Booklover848 > Reviews

Browse

Booklover848's Profile

Customer Reviews: 108

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Booklover848 "Booklover848" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II
by Mitchell Zuckoff
Price: $12.72
243 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, January 27, 2016
This book is all the more amazing because the events actually happened and thanks to Mitchell Zuckoff I feel as though I had a front row seat! From life at Hollandia to the crash itself to the trials of the survivors, meeting the natives and the harrowing rescue this book is a incredible read! I could not put it down! Some war stories can be fairly dry but Zuckoff mixes the details of the crash with human insights, military responses and a glimpse into a civilization ignored by time and man. This book gives us a look into history while giving the experience of reading a first rate thriller; I could not recommend it more!

The Body in the Landscape (A Cherry Tucker Mystery Book 5)
The Body in the Landscape (A Cherry Tucker Mystery Book 5)
Price: $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Book!, January 14, 2016
Very disappointed in this book! The plot was poorly crafted; you have your opening crimes and a variety of suspects, you are inundated with details as well as follow up crimes however the dots are not connected! The pace is slow and I found I had to force myself to get through the book. Cherry shows no character development at all in this book. Grandpa, Casey and Cody are completely MIA while Todd and Max are written out of character with no explanation. The mystery does eventually resolve and we see a teeny bit of movement in Cherry's personal life but it feels rushed and forced.

Also, this book seems very pro-hunting which is fine if you enjoy hunting for sport however if you are an animal lover like me the book is incredibly offensive! The author writes of a lodge filled with taxidermy animals and calls them a tribute to those lives lost to bow and arrow...a lodge filled with dead animals is not a tribute to the animals - it is a litany of trophies collected by ego driven hunters who want to say they killed something too! The author further comments on the stuffed squirrels placed as if happily playing; they are not happily playing - they are dead and to pretend there is anything happy about this is ridiculous! The author tries to portray hunters as universally good, responsible people which again I don't find to be the case with those who callously hunt for pleasure. There are some attempts at humor throughout the books but little that I found funny. Overall, it was a truly disappointing read and one that discourages me from continuing with the series.

Coupled with Chance (The Adventures of Anabel Axelrod Book 6)
Coupled with Chance (The Adventures of Anabel Axelrod Book 6)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Read!, January 4, 2016
I've read the entire Anabel Axelrod series and this book was a huge disappointment! The characters in this series have been reasonably well developed but there is no growth and no surprises. The sex scenes are plentiful and the lovers are constant but the plot is all over the place! Storylines are started or in some cases continued but details are limited and so are resolutions, If i had to pick one word to describe this book it would be disjointed. Don't waste your money on this one! You can read smut filled one shots on fanfiction for free and you won't notice a difference!

Waking Up in Vegas (A Kat Parker Novel Book 5)
Waking Up in Vegas (A Kat Parker Novel Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series and adored this book!, January 4, 2016
Love, loved, loved this book! The author has done a fantastic job of blending fantasy with incredibly well developed and likable characters! Having us get to know Kat and her friends without anyone knowing her backstory (including the characters themselves) until these last two books is sheer brilliance! I couldn't put this book down and I can't wait for the next book! If you like mysteries, fantasies or just really well developed, entertaining, truly creative stories then you need to buy this series!

Hot Pursuit
Hot Pursuit
DVD ~ Reese Witherspoon
Price: $11.00
43 used & new from $4.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Waste of Time and Money!, December 8, 2015
This review is from: Hot Pursuit (DVD)
One of the worst movies I've seen in a quite awhile! This film is billed as a comedy but I only laughed once during the entire movie! The concept of the film has been done before but it isn't a bad concept so with the right casting and writing this film could have been good but instead it misses on both counts! The writing is stereotypical and shallow for Sofia Vergara and Reese Witherspoon has never been less charming or likable! If you are looking for entertainment keep looking!

Tricky Twenty-Two: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Tricky Twenty-Two: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, Predictable, Pro-Morelli and Obviously Ghostwritten Book!, December 2, 2015
Another predictable Plum book but even worse, it's a book that seems to have Stephanie closer to choosing Joe! We have the typical car trouble, Stephanie needing help, Ranger helping her, Joe being annoyed and viola - a book that has been written multiple times under multiple titles! I don't believe JE is writing the Plum books or even cares about them any more - the books are now the ghostwritten family business! The books are also completely disrespectful of the "Babes" aka fans of the Ranger/Steph pairing! The Plum books tease progression in this relationship but never deliver and instead continue to pair Stephanie with Joe in a very immature and superficial relationship. There is no growth, no character development, no originality and no reason to waste money on this series! I borrowed my copy from a friend and I am so grateful I didn't waste my money on this piece of garbage! I have no idea how the Plum books continue to generate the sales they do while other and FAR better series remain unknown!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2015 6:13 AM PST

No Woman Left Behind: A Lexi Carmichael Mystery, Book Six
No Woman Left Behind: A Lexi Carmichael Mystery, Book Six
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $6.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly Disappointing..., June 2, 2015
I love the Lexi Carmichael books and I eagerly awaited this release so you can imagine my surprise when I found it somewhat disappointing. The book starts out great; Lexi is bringing Slash home to meet her parents and she is nervous about it. These early scenes are wonderful and show the funny, smart, vulnerable Lexi and sexy Slash we all know and love. As expected, dinner doesn't go as planned and Lexi is hurled into a new adventure compliments of Broodryk the villain we met in "No Test for the Wicked".

Broodryk is a good villain and it is to be expected that he would want payback after the previous installment so I wasn't surprised by the "thing" of Lexi's he took to initiate said payback. We see Lexi and Slash respond to Broodryk's demands and we see the government start to manipulate Lexi and those chapters are good. Slash is then pulled away from Lexi, she is surrounded by new characters and that is where my issues with the book begin!

Slash has been involved with all of Lexi's dangerous adventures plus many of his own and yet he is all of a sudden not expendable enough to take part in this mission? Sorry but that didn't compute! Plus, we had virtually no Basia, little reaction to Lexi's dating from anyone but her father, no Xavier and very little Elvis. Instead we had Lexi essentially off on her own knowing the government was willing to sacrifice her.

From there we moved on to what is supposed to be an over the top funny, sex scene that wasn't all that funny; what happened to the fox left a bad taste in my mouth. Then we moved into the actual mission and it was all action! There was a little humor but it was very light on any kind of human interaction or relationships. Hollywood would have approved because the average 16 year old boy would have approved but it didn't work for me; I need more than snipers and smoke grenades!

I feel as though we lost Lexi in this book. It was odd that she didn't call Xavier or her brothers before she left on the mission and strange that she wasn't more upfront with Basia. It didn't make sense that she didn't spend more time with Slash. (Spoiler) At the end of the book, Lexi is feeling guilty about repercussions to two Seals but she never shows any guilt over Elvis. She worries about him but she never acknowledges the fact that his life was safe until he met her. And for all her worry she spends very little time with him after the mission!

At the beginning of the book, Moffett talks about her military family and how much they all contributed to the book. I mean no disrespect here and I appreciate everything our armed forces have sacrificed for us but I think Moffett had too much help from her military family members. Too much of the book is details about the mission rather than details about the characters. We end up lost in a never ending morass of action sequences that play to the strength of the new characters rather than to Lexi's strengths.

The book wasn’t bad but it wasn’t Lexi. Maybe Moffett has a plan for the series and reasons for this book or maybe she wants to do a new series with the new characters. Maybe she wants to change the relationship between Lexi and Slash or Lexi and the Zimmermans. Maybe she wants Lexi to have a girlfriend other than Basia. It is impossible to tell from this book where the series is heading but I will buy the next book to find out. I just hope it is better than this one!

7 Brides for 7 Bodies (Body Movers)
7 Brides for 7 Bodies (Body Movers)
by Stephanie Bond
Price: $12.99
37 used & new from $7.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but we needed more!, April 22, 2015
I enjoy the Body Movers series very much and felt this book was good but not great. This book showed some character and storyline progression and there was a mystery but it wasn't enough so the book felt like a filler book or a set the stage book rather than a full blown novel. There was so much lag time between this release and book 6 that Bond may have felt a book like this was needed or perhaps she she knows where she wants to go with book 8 and needed to write book 7 this way to make it work. I will be reading book 8 to find out! I am hoping we see some more maturity out of Wesley; it doesn't have to be a lot but given what he's been through there should be a little. I am also hoping we see more sparks from Peter and Coop! I know many people are Team Jack but I have never understood Carlotta's relationship with him! How can you sleep with a man who wants to and ultimately does arrest your father? Or who leaves a tap on your phone after saying it's been removed? Or opens the Christmas gifts left for you by your long lost parents? If I were Carlotta I wouldn't be able to really trust Jack and certainly not in the way she can trust Peter and Coop! Bond is building an interesting story and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Ditching David
Ditching David

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give 2 1/2 stars!, March 14, 2015
This review is from: Ditching David (Kindle Edition)
I loved the Savannah Martin series so I thought I would give this one a chance. It was not for me! I didn't find the book or the characters likable or well developed. I didn't hate it but I won't be recommending it either!

Booty Bones: A Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery
Booty Bones: A Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Raines needs to get back on track!, March 14, 2015
Thrilled to see the last of Graf! At least I hope it's the last of Graf! I still want to see Sarah and Coleman get together! Not sure about the future of this series...I feel as though it has lost it's way! Sarah Booth needs to grow and the characters need to stay true to their voices! I may give the next book a shot - unless Graf is back in which case I'm done!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11