Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for Booklover848 > Reviews

Browse

Booklover848's Profile

Customer Reviews: 102

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Booklover848 "Booklover848" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
No Woman Left Behind: A Lexi Carmichael Mystery, Book Six
No Woman Left Behind: A Lexi Carmichael Mystery, Book Six
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oddly Disappointing..., June 2, 2015
I love the Lexi Carmichael books and I eagerly awaited this release so you can imagine my surprise when I found it somewhat disappointing. The book starts out great; Lexi is bringing Slash home to meet her parents and she is nervous about it. These early scenes are wonderful and show the funny, smart, vulnerable Lexi and sexy Slash we all know and love. As expected, dinner doesn't go as planned and Lexi is hurled into a new adventure compliments of Broodryk the villain we met in "No Test for the Wicked".

Broodryk is a good villain and it is to be expected that he would want payback after the previous installment so I wasn't surprised by the "thing" of Lexi's he took to initiate said payback. We see Lexi and Slash respond to Broodryk's demands and we see the government start to manipulate Lexi and those chapters are good. Slash is then pulled away from Lexi, she is surrounded by new characters and that is where my issues with the book begin!

Slash has been involved with all of Lexi's dangerous adventures plus many of his own and yet he is all of a sudden not expendable enough to take part in this mission? Sorry but that didn't compute! Plus, we had virtually no Basia, little reaction to Lexi's dating from anyone but her father, no Xavier and very little Elvis. Instead we had Lexi essentially off on her own knowing the government was willing to sacrifice her.

From there we moved on to what is supposed to be an over the top funny, sex scene that wasn't all that funny; what happened to the fox left a bad taste in my mouth. Then we moved into the actual mission and it was all action! There was a little humor but it was very light on any kind of human interaction or relationships. Hollywood would have approved because the average 16 year old boy would have approved but it didn't work for me; I need more than snipers and smoke grenades!

I feel as though we lost Lexi in this book. It was odd that she didn't call Xavier or her brothers before she left on the mission and strange that she wasn't more upfront with Basia. It didn't make sense that she didn't spend more time with Slash. (Spoiler) At the end of the book, Lexi is feeling guilty about repercussions to two Seals but she never shows any guilt over Elvis. She worries about him but she never acknowledges the fact that his life was safe until he met her. And for all her worry she spends very little time with him after the mission!

At the beginning of the book, Moffett talks about her military family and how much they all contributed to the book. I mean no disrespect here and I appreciate everything our armed forces have sacrificed for us but I think Moffett had too much help from her military family members. Too much of the book is details about the mission rather than details about the characters. We end up lost in a never ending morass of action sequences that play to the strength of the new characters rather than to Lexi's strengths.

The book wasn’t bad but it wasn’t Lexi. Maybe Moffett has a plan for the series and reasons for this book or maybe she wants to do a new series with the new characters. Maybe she wants to change the relationship between Lexi and Slash or Lexi and the Zimmermans. Maybe she wants Lexi to have a girlfriend other than Basia. It is impossible to tell from this book where the series is heading but I will buy the next book to find out. I just hope it is better than this one!

7 Brides for 7 Bodies (Body Movers)
7 Brides for 7 Bodies (Body Movers)
by Stephanie Bond
Price: $11.71
30 used & new from $7.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but we needed more!, April 22, 2015
I enjoy the Body Movers series very much and felt this book was good but not great. This book showed some character and storyline progression and there was a mystery but it wasn't enough so the book felt like a filler book or a set the stage book rather than a full blown novel. There was so much lag time between this release and book 6 that Bond may have felt a book like this was needed or perhaps she she knows where she wants to go with book 8 and needed to write book 7 this way to make it work. I will be reading book 8 to find out! I am hoping we see some more maturity out of Wesley; it doesn't have to be a lot but given what he's been through there should be a little. I am also hoping we see more sparks from Peter and Coop! I know many people are Team Jack but I have never understood Carlotta's relationship with him! How can you sleep with a man who wants to and ultimately does arrest your father? Or who leaves a tap on your phone after saying it's been removed? Or opens the Christmas gifts left for you by your long lost parents? If I were Carlotta I wouldn't be able to really trust Jack and certainly not in the way she can trust Peter and Coop! Bond is building an interesting story and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Ditching David
Ditching David

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give 2 1/2 stars!, March 14, 2015
This review is from: Ditching David (Kindle Edition)
I loved the Savannah Martin series so I thought I would give this one a chance. It was not for me! I didn't find the book or the characters likable or well developed. I didn't hate it but I won't be recommending it either!

Booty Bones: A Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery
Booty Bones: A Sarah Booth Delaney Mystery
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Raines needs to get back on track!, March 14, 2015
Thrilled to see the last of Graf! At least I hope it's the last of Graf! I still want to see Sarah and Coleman get together! Not sure about the future of this series...I feel as though it has lost it's way! Sarah Booth needs to grow and the characters need to stay true to their voices! I may give the next book a shot - unless Graf is back in which case I'm done!

Obsession in Death
Obsession in Death
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book! Nora is back!, February 27, 2015
I thought the books after "From New York to Dallas" were ghostwritten and I was pretty disappointed with the series but "Obsession in Death" changed that! This book reads like one of Nora's! It has the solid mystery, the tension, the integration of the characters throughout the book and most importantly, the voice of the characters rings true! Once again, I found myself sucked into Eve's world and unable to put the book down until I was finished reading it which has not been the case with the previous books! Welcome back, Nora, we've missed you!

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Incredible!, February 15, 2015
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Kindle Edition)
I started reading this book on a Tuesday night and did not put it down until the wee hours of Wednesday morning! I knew I had meetings the next day and I'd be exhausted; I knew I was being irresponsible in continuing to read instead of going to sleep but I could not put this book down! This book is intelligent, thought provoking, beautifully written, spiritual and yet filled with suspense! The author's decision to write the book from the victim's point of view is a stroke of genius because it deepens an already rich and layered story. I highly recommend this book; just do yourself a favor and start reading it on a weekend!

Agnes and the Hitman
Agnes and the Hitman
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful, Fabulous, Incredibly Funny Read!, February 15, 2015
This book is one of my all time favorites! The dialogue is sharp and funny, the characters are beautifully drawn and the plot keeps you on the edge of your seat while making you laugh out loud! Crusie is at the top of her game here and the result is a book that you will love the first time you read it and you will recognize as a funny and comforting old friend when you've had a bad day! Every woman should own a copy of this book!

No Such Thing As a Lost Soul: A Brandy Alexander Mystery (No Such Thing As...A Brandy Alexander Mystery Book 6)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another WONDERFUL Book in this series by a truly gifted author!, January 2, 2015
Amazing, wonderful, fabulous book! Can someone tell me why Shelly Fredman isn't bigger than Janet Evanovich and isn't a New York Times Best Selling author because she should be? Fredman is a fantastic writer with a gift for dialogue and plot development and this book is no exception! The mystery is filled with suspense, the romance filled with yearning and the character development of Brandy shows that a character can grow and be more interesting than ever! I loved this book and hope Fredman keeps writing the series! Every women should read this series because I can't imagine anyone not enjoying it!

A Matter of Trust (A Mia Quinn Mystery Book 1)
A Matter of Trust (A Mia Quinn Mystery Book 1)
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Writing, Bad Series Pricing!, January 2, 2015
The story and writing are great but to go from giving the first book away to wanting to charge $17.99 for the third book in Kindle is just ridiculous!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2015 9:24 PM PST

Entice Me Box Set: The Truth About Shoes and Men\Cover Me\My Favorite Mistake
Entice Me Box Set: The Truth About Shoes and Men\Cover Me\My Favorite Mistake
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Bond isn't an author who cares about her readers!, December 19, 2014
Why would anyone read Bond's books when she thinks nothing of letting readers wait for years for sequels! Bond cares more about getting a TV deal than she cares for her readers!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11