Profile for vanderwal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

vanderwal RSS Feed (Bethesda, MD, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories
My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories
by David Lebovitz
Price: $24.72
106 used & new from $16.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A curl up on the sofa or make great things in the kitchen gem, November 12, 2014
I picked up Sweet Life a few years back and loved it. I have been a long time fan of David Lebovitz food and cooking blog from Paris. When "My Paris Kitchen" came out I added it to my much have for my cookbook collection.

Not only is the narrative around the recipes really good and deeply enjoyable for setting tone and place, but the recipes are real gems as well. I've tried a few of the recipes, which have variations to dishes I have cooked for a long time and I'm finding modifications to my old favorites are really enjoyable improvements.

This cookbook fits my curling up on the sofa to read on a cool rainy weekend day as much as a great in kitchen reference, which makes it a perfect cookbook in my perspective.

Brooks Men's Trance 12 Running Shoes, Color: Slvr/Blk/RedOrng/Wht/Pvmnt, Size: 11.0

5.0 out of 5 stars A great match for my feet, November 12, 2014
This is the 5th or 6th pair of of Trance. I tried a lot of running shoes that worked okay with my pronation issues, but Trance has been the perfect shoe. Brooks stopping the Trance line is likely going to be my changing to another brand. I have a lot of friends that also wear Trance and ran enough to pick-up 3 to 6 pair a year, they too are bummed and likely to shift brands as nothing else in the Brooks line fills in for the gap the that Trance leaves behind.

The Food Lover's Guide to Paris: The Best Restaurants, Bistros, Cafés, Markets, Bakeries, and More
by Patricia Wells
Price: $13.21
80 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated Version is a Gem, May 19, 2014
I have two previous versions of this book and have loved them. I was getting worried that there would not be a new edition, but not only is there a new edition there is a lot that has been updated. Paris seems to have changed quite a bit since the last book came out and this new guide picks up all of that. It looks like many if not most of the recipes in the book are new as well, I have liked most everything I have tried from them.

I have used them prior to trips to Paris to set an itinerary of where to eat and shop in various neighborhoods. I have taken them with me on trips, but keep them in the hotel as they are a bit large to carry about. This new edition is about the same size and will likely get treated in the same manner.

Hanes Men's 10 Pack No Show Socks, White, 10-13 (Shoe Size 6-12)
Hanes Men's 10 Pack No Show Socks, White, 10-13 (Shoe Size 6-12)
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fit and light for Summer, May 19, 2014
The fit is good on this socks. I am used to the Hanes athletic short socks and I wasn't expecting the much thinner sock, but they will be good for the Summer as a more casual sock.

Levi's Men's 569 Loose Straight Leg Jean, Glorious Blues, 36Wx32L
Levi's Men's 569 Loose Straight Leg Jean, Glorious Blues, 36Wx32L

4.0 out of 5 stars Long time jeans still do the trick, October 17, 2013
Levi's 569 have been my go to jeans for regular wear since they were a Silver Tab concept jean many years ago.

Ruhlman's Twenty: 20 Techniques 100 Recipes A Cook's Manifesto
Ruhlman's Twenty: 20 Techniques 100 Recipes A Cook's Manifesto
by Michael Ruhlman
Price: $27.99
102 used & new from $12.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Depth on Understanding, August 11, 2013
Ruhlman's 20 may be one of my top three cookbooks. The sharing good depth of understanding methods and having solid recipes related to techniques and ingredients is fantastic. I think I am finally converted to making my own mayo as the options for techniques Rulhman offers has on I really like, additionally I can now know all the ingredients well and have a great mayo.

Some Americans Abroad
Some Americans Abroad
by Richard Nelson
41 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Now a time capsule piece and good, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Some Americans Abroad (Paperback)
I had come back from living abroad when Some Americans Abroad came out and I really wanted to see it performed. Sadly, it didn't play anywhere near where I was living.

Finally picking up the text I got to enjoy it. The play is deeply set in the mid to late 1980s political and social focal points of the time it was written. If thinking of this as a time piece it rather works, but misses some of the lead ins and background a period piece could need.

What was enjoyable is the characters that ring so true from living abroad and various perspectives of those living abroad.

Smooth Travel Talus RFID Passport Protector Secure Block Data Theft Sa
Smooth Travel Talus RFID Passport Protector Secure Block Data Theft Sa
Offered by MMP Living
Price: $6.29
8 used & new from $4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Protected from Being Electronically Tracked, December 11, 2012
I've been looking for these in luggage stores but had no luck. I wish the design of the exterior were not so pedestrian, but the product does what it does.

Muji
Muji
by Masaaki Kanai
18 used & new from $174.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Overview and Down to Details of Muji, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Muji (Hardcover)
I've had my eye on the Muji book since it came out as I quite like the stores and the underlying principles of the company and its design. The book does not disappoint.

The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, And Science Of Good Cooking
The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, And Science Of Good Cooking
by Madeleine Kamman
15 used & new from $10.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning Cooking with Depth, May 4, 2012
This may be my favorite cookbook I own, if not it is in the top 5 (depends on my focus and needs at the moment). Making of a Cook is a cookbook that provides depth and understanding, which will improve how you view cooking and what you make. The depth around baking is one of the best explanations I have ever run across and now when I talk with professional bakers and start hinting that I understand the differences in water, grains, location, and many other minor elements that combined have a giant impact on the differences in baked goods using the same recipe and similar ingredients.

The whole book, it is a good sized volume, was a great joy to read through and all the recipes in it have turned out well (I haven't tried baking anything from it as baking is not something of interest). This is a book I have recommended to friends who have the basics down and are looking to learn more and want more than just recipes and far more depth than most of the cooking shows on cable channels supposedly devoted to food and cooking.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4