Profile for Todd Bartholomew > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 986

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Todd Bartholomew RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Motion Of Light In Water: Sex And Science Fiction Writing In The East Village
by Samuel R. Delany
Price: $60.00
19 used & new from $18.98

4.0 out of 5 stars How we create our identity and ourselves, June 26, 2013
Admittedly I went into "Motion of Light in Water" not knowing what to expect, and I would reason that is the case for most readers. Having read Patti Smith's transcendent Just Kids I somehow thought that "Motion.." would give me more insight into what it was like to live in NYC's bohemian communities back in the 1960s, which it certainly does to varying degrees. Smith came along a few years after Delany and much of what they relay here is the same...NYC was a much smaller, more community based place then, and it was surprisingly easy to meet and get to know luminaries like W. H. Auden, Albert Einstein, and others in Delany's case. Delany accepts but also questions labels that were appropriate for that era...black, gay, dyslexic, and others, that most people today would reject in favor of inclusiveness, but this is a recollection of an earlier time and place, hence more appropriate. What I found myself pondering here is the confusion people may feel entering into this realm as they likely came here for different reasons. Fans of Delany's science fiction wanting likely will read this wanting more insight into his growth and development as an author as well as the sources of his inspiration. Many of them may be put off by his recollections of his mildly graphic homosexual encounters, but perhaps not. LGBT readers hoping for insight into an under-recognized pre-Stonewall part of the community may find themselves bored with the passages relating to his science fiction work or disturbed by his promiscuous nature at the time. Indeed there is almost sort of a "Mad Men" era to everything here. Nothing is truly politically correct; Chip and Marilyn (his wife at the time) were both bisexual, poor, and trying to find their own way. That's what's most interesting...how these two very lost souls found each other, came to understand each other for all their faults and weaknesses, worked out an arrangement, pursued a life together flying in the face of societal norms, set out to find their own way, and ultimately came to accept and realize their own limitations and attributes. There are incredibly prescient points along the way and much of what Delany presents should prompt readers to contemplate the fluidity of sexuality and human nature, and the confines of monogamy and heteronormative society. This isn't easy reading to be honest and there's a lot here than can put readers off. That Delany is so willing to lay bare his soul is laudatory, and he does so completely in a way that is refreshing and shocking. Like most geniuses Delany is a mix of creative genius and madness. He owns up to his dyslexia but I cannot help but ponder if he also falls in the spectrum of Asberger's with his detached nature, tendency towards the obsessive/compulsive, tendency to obsess on particular points (his father's date of death in particular), and his awkwardness in social situations. He has certainly become an agent provocateur in recent times and perhaps that has marginalized his role and importance in the LGBT community. "Motion..." is certainly worth the read but be forewarned, it is a tough slog for many. I'm certainly intrigued to read his other memoirs and social commentaries now that I have a better sense of his writing style and perspective. "Motion..." likely is not for everyone and honestly I'm hard pressed to say what it's precise appeal may be. It certainly does capture NYC in a certain space and time and does give you insight into the creative process. While it's likely not everyone's cup of tea it is an important book that deserves merit.

Pyrex Cooking Solved Portables
Pyrex Cooking Solved Portables

4.0 out of 5 stars Great repurposing of a kitchen classic!, June 9, 2013
This review is from: Pyrex Cooking Solved Portables
If you love to cook and bake then I'm pretty certain you have at least one or more piece of Pyrex bake ware in your kitchen. Pyrex is quite simply the indispensable thing for so many baked dishes and easily goes from the oven to hot plates or countertop service. And if you're like me a covered dish is often lugged along covered on the top with tinfoil is a desperate effort to keep the heat in and the food from spilling out. I can only guess the good folks at Pyrex must have seen pictures of their dishes being lugged around with tinfoil over the top and figured "We can do better that that!" Well they did, and now you can get Pryex with a great snug fitting plastic top that almost completely eliminates the potential for accidental spills and keeps the food hotter than a thin layer of tinfoil. Not to be outdone there the folks at Pyrex came up with what has to be the pinnacle of portable dishes with their Pyrex Portables series. This is for the hard core covered dish warriors like me who socialize a lot, but also great for picnics, church socials, potlucks, camping, and the like. Not only do you get the Pyrex dish with the cover, but you get a well tailored carrying case with a handle and a hot/cold packet that does an outstanding job of keeping your hot dishes hot and your cold dishes cold. Maybe it's a function of who I am, but this was probably the neatest Christmas gift I got that year (perhaps aside from the electric drill kit) and certainly one I use a LOT! I've lost count of how many times we've used it. It's a HUGE relief to know you don't have to worry about sauces and food spilling out into your car's floor mats or carpeting, knowing that no matter how far the travel time your food will absolutely still be hot or cold, and being the envy of the other folks there with your carrying case. I've been asked many times by folks where I found the carrying case and it seems folks aren't aware of the Pyrex Portables series.

So now it's time for a few comments overall about this set. Pyrex does sell replacement hot/cold packs separately in the event you lose yours or yours gets damaged. The carrying case can get food spatters on it too, so it's wise to carefully hand wash it every once in a while (it's NOT machine washable!) to ensure it remains clean and doesn't become a source of cross-contamination. That is a gigantic pain in the ass as you cannot use bleach and are reduced to using Simple Green or other cleaners and carefully rinsing it, but less horrible that washing your bag to discovered it's now an unusable pile of mush in your washing machine. Please also read over and follow the care and handling instructions carefully too as Pyrex years ago switched from the ultra safe and reliable Borosilicate glass of your Grandmother's generation to the much more temperamental soda-lime silicate glass. I'm not going to wade into that debate, but please do note there's a whole lot of "Do's and Don'ts" with the soda-lime silicate glass versions. Mercifully I've never had a bad experience but I follow their instructions to a T! I've also found the handles, which have a Velcro closure, close so nice and snug you can tuck a serving spoon inside and underneath and it has never slid out or gotten lost. This will sound a little crazy, but I've developed a very warm attachment to my Pyrex Portable set. I have so many fond memories of events where I've brought along dishes. If like me, food is love and you care enough to bring the very best, then this is a set you'll want to get and the price is not that bad!

Pyrex Portable 4-Piece Set with 1-ea 3--Quart Easy Grab Oblong, Red Cover, Large Unipack, Black Carrier
Price: $31.26
19 used & new from $26.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Good repurposing of a kitchen classic, but room for improvement, June 9, 2013

So now it's time for a few comments overall about this set. Pyrex does sell replacement hot/cold packs separately in the event you lose yours or yours gets damaged. The carrying case can get food spatters on it too, so it's wise to carefully hand wash it every once in a while (it's NOT machine washable!) to ensure it remains clean and doesn't become a source of cross-contamination. That is a gigantic pain in the ass as you cannot use bleach and are reduced to using Simple Green or other cleaners and carefully rinsing it, but less horrible that washing your bag to discover it's now an unusable pile of mush in your washing machine. The carrying case is the weakest link is an overall nice package. It should really be designed to be easily washable and reusable but that honestly is not the case here and the weakest point in the whole set. Please also read over and follow the care and handling instructions carefully too as Pyrex years ago switched from the ultra safe and reliable Borosilicate glass of your Grandmother's generation to the much more temperamental soda-lime silicate glass. I'm not going to wade into that debate, but please do note there's a whole lot of "Do's and Don'ts" with the soda-lime silicate glass versions. Mercifully I've never had a bad experience but I follow their instructions to a T! I've also found the handles, which have a Velcro closure, close so nice and snug you can tuck a serving spoon inside and underneath and it has never slid out or gotten lost. This will sound a little crazy, but I've developed a very warm attachment to my Pyrex Portable set. I have so many fond memories of events where I've brought along dishes. If like me, food is love and you care enough to bring the very best, then this is a set you'll want to get and the price is not that bad!

Red, Hot & Blue
Red, Hot & Blue
Price: $7.99
211 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A good consciousness raiser and a great example of risk/reward theory, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Red, Hot & Blue (Audio CD)
On its face using the songs of Cole Porter to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS and money for combating it by using contemporary artists seemed a bit of a stretch. Certainly his songs are very much in the cannon of "those in the know" and Broadway babies, but the question was how translatable to modernity these songs could be. "Red Hot & Blue" answers that question to widely varying degrees and it quickly becomes an answer to the question about High Risk/High Reward for the artists involved. Clearly some of the artists have nothing to lose by playing fast and loose and taking chances with Porter's songs and the payoff is quite often spectacular. Right out of the gate Nenah Cherry serves up a chilling yet scintillating version of "I've Got You Under My Skin" the summons up the horrors of HIV/AIDS at the time. Her take on this classic is spot-on-the-money and I wouldn't change a note as she truly gets the material. The shift from Nenah Cherry to the smooth R&B of the Neville Brothers is a bit jarring, but Aaron Neville's gorgeous falsetto over the restrained yet lively arrangement is truly a beauty to behold. Sinead O'Connor serves up a decided retro version of "You Do Something to Me" that is a refreshing take from her other output at the time and showcases how lovely her voice is given the right material. Roland Gift likewise shows what a great vocalist he is with "Love For Sale", a similarly nice restrained but lively take on that well known track with his band at the time (Fine Young Cannibals). The odd sequencing really pops here as the smooth styling of Fine Young Cannibals bumps up against what is probably my absolute favorite track from "Red Hot & Blue" "Well Did You Evah" pairing up Debbie Harry and Iggy Pop. Whoever cooked up this idea is a bloody genius as the two play off each other masterfully in a raunchy playful manner that is thoroughly modern and sounds like they had a blast in the studio. If only the rest of "Red Hot & Blue had this much life, vitality, and energy! From here the rest of the tracks slowly start to peter out as a bit lifeless an perfunctory. David Byrne's "Don't Fence Me In" is a bit intriguing and fun and Annie Lennox's mournful take on "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" is a profoundly moving tear jerker. While U2's "Night and Day" was a single I still find this a bit of a snooze despite his menacing vocals. K.D. Lang's "So In Love" is another profoundly moving take on Porter that really showcases how great a vocalist she is...I truly wish she would do an album of songs like this! From here things go a bit downhill as the big groups/artists of the era take a stab at Porter with no real effort. The Thompson Twins, Erasure, Jimmy Sommerville, and Aztec Camera all make appearances but their versions are so slight, sluggish, and perfunctory that they all come and pass with scarcely a moment's notice. Lisa Stansfield is the sole standout in this section and as with K. D. Lang she REALLY should do an album of pop standards as her voice is ideally suited for this. All in all "Red Hot & Blue" is a bit like a Whitman's sampler...it's designed to appeal to a broad section of people but not everything is going to delightful or to everyone's taste.

Orijen 6 Fish 80/20 - 5 lb
Orijen 6 Fish 80/20 - 5 lb
Offered by uvetsupply
Price: $31.18
2 used & new from $31.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped our beagle's skin issues and she's WILD about it!, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Orijen 6 Fish 80/20 - 5 lb (Misc.)
We had been feeding our beagle some fairly high-end dog food from a local manufacturer that also provided free dog food to the rescue shelter we got her from. Needless to say we showed our gratitude by staying loyal to that brand for many years and she certainly scarfed it down as beagles are wont to do with food. After a few years we noticed she was developing a pronounced problem with dry scaly skin, lots of itching, and gnawing at "hot spots" here and there. We tried adding fish oil which seemed to help somewhat but were still stymied at a solution. Our border/doggy daycare recommended we switch to Orijen as it is the carnivore diet that most appropriately matches that for dogs in that it doesn't have grains. I got to thinking about that and sure, you don't see beagles out nibbling on sheafs of wheat or ears of corn. Our old beagle would have eaten rabbits if I would let her catch one, and lets face it...dogs are essentially wolves who lost their fear of man and started eating the trash they threw out. So we started off with the Orijen Adult Dog Food dry version and she scarfed it down like the beagle she is. Within weeks the skin problems disappeared, her coat was much healthier and the hot spots went away. For fund we mix things up with the Orijen Fish Dog Food which she just goes nuts over. It has a nice compliment of vitamins for your dog's health and much of what Orijen uses is locally or regionally sourced and it's shipped fresh to our retailer and Amazon.com. This doesn't seem to be as worked up, processed, or treated as other dog foods and if I'm going that same route myself why shouldn't I do that for my best friend? Our girl has been so happy and healthy on Orijen I couldn't contemplate switching to another brand!

Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb
Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food, 5 lb
Offered by uvetsupply
Price: $19.50
5 used & new from $19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Our beagle loves it and it helped with her skin issues, June 2, 2013

Griffin iTrip Auto Universal Plus FM Transmitter for Portable MP3 Players-2010 Packaging
Offered by PORTABLE GUY
Price: $43.51
31 used & new from $4.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy to use, and for the money better than a lot out there!, June 2, 2013
My experiences with prior adapters, the Monster MON129363 FM-CH iPod/iPhone iCarPlay Wireless 800 FM Transmitter - Deluxe Car Kit - Retail Packaging - Black and the Monster MON129392 AI 1000 FM-CH V2 iPod/iPhone iCarPlay Wireless 1000 FM Transmitter - Deluxe Car Kit - Retail Packaging - Black, to play my iPod in the car weren't so good. The first one I purchased amounted to an impulse buy and I wished I'd researched online first as a LOT of static creeps in on it. Granted I live in metro-Atlanta, a city with a LOT of FM stations so that's inevitable. The previous ones worked better in downstate Georgia, Alabama and in Northern Florida...a notorious radio wasteland. My prior adapter required me putting the iPod up in the sunvisor to get a better signal...not an ideal situation to be honest. The Griffin adapter is certainly an improvement over the other model tried, and while its signal is stronger there are still times where static creeps in and a channel change is required. Worse still my Cadillac has the Seek/Scan function making finding free channel space on the FM band impossible. As a result I have to use pre-sets on the radio for stations that aren't stations, which is a bit crazy if you ask me. What I like about this adapter is you've got choices...you can play it back using the earbud jack, which means your iPod/iPhone/iPad doesn't recharge, or you can use the USB part to charge and play. Now that's an improvement! You can also play one of those devices with the earbud jack AND keep your iPhone or iPad charged at the same time. Now THAT'S multitasking! It's also much easier to change channels on the Griffin adapter with a nice large LED readout and simply up/down channel buttons. I use this one all the time when tooling around and just love it. Do make sure you stash it in your glove-box or out of sight when not in use or your car is parked as it fairly telegraphs to thieves "I have nice electronics in my car!" Is the Griffin adapter the best on the market? Probably not but for the price it's not that bad.

Baja Bob's Sugar Free Margarita Mix, Original, 32-Ounce Bottles  (Pack of 3)
Baja Bob's Sugar Free Margarita Mix, Original, 32-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars There has to be a better alternative, June 1, 2013
I'm constantly on the lookout to cut out carbohydrates, sugars, and salt and I bought this hoping that it would be a good alternative to the regular Margarita mixes on the market. Well, guess again. The addition of Splenda causes it to be sickeningly sweet. Usually I substitute Splenda in a lot of recipes and it turns out pretty good provided you don't have a heavy hand. The problem here is "Baja Bob" has a WAY heavy hand causing this to be sickeningly sweet. So much so I've opted to go for either making my own (heck...it's only lime juice folks...squeeze your own!) or go the organic route with some premium blends that taste better. I guess my final bon motte would be vive le difference...everyone's taste is there own, but this is not my taste!

Defending Jacob: A Novel
Defending Jacob: A Novel
by William Landay
Price: $19.18
420 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't see that coming!, June 1, 2013
The cover speaks to the "shocking ending" and indeed that is the case here. I won't give away the spoiler, but Landay clearly takes a page from the masters in suspense by introducing a pivotal character 2/3rds of the way through. There are some moments that truly make you question Landay's craft however. The one that had me scratching my head is when the protagonist, Andy Barber, has singled out Leonard Patz, a convicted pedophile, as the lead suspect in the murder. Yet oddly Barber doesn't even think to see if Patz's fingerprints, which surely are on file, match those of the bloody fingerprints on the victim's sweatshirt. As a Certified Paralegal that had me profoundly bothered and so much so I almost cast the book aside. I read on and was gripped by Landay's writing which is truly quite good. It's only later on I sort of figure out why Barber doesn't go for the obvious but it's surprising that Detective Paul Duffy doesn't mention it at the time. This whole episode pretty much blew any chance I had of really sitting back and enjoying this read and it pretty much shreds Landay's reputation with me as credible. Throughout the book everything seems to point to Jacob Barber as being the murder and I have to admit this was a lively topic of conversation at our book club. The conversation was a bit like being in a jury room with people convinced Jacob did it and a few holdouts convinced there wasn't enough hard evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. That scarcely matters as you get to the final third of the book which quite honestly is a "shocking ending" as promised. And let me tell you there is no shortage of shocking at the ending as it's one shocker after another to the final dénouement. But if I'm brutally honest (and I usually am), "Defending Jacob" left me feeling hollow. Yes, it is a scathing indictment of our society...I get that. In truth it is more satirical, mocking "perfect" communities and people who are inherently flawed, people deeply into denial about how perfect they and their children are, and yet they are fundamentally flawed, damaged, and broken. For me that is where Landay resonated more. We don't know our children, we don't know ourselves, we don't know our partners and companions, and we don't know our community. That is the more profoundly unsettling message here. And worse still, I don't get the sense that was Landay's intension. In many respects the end was surprising and not all that surprising. The entirety of "Defending Jacob" wasn't at all satisfying but left me instead a bit shellshocked and embittered as I expected something different. Granted it was somewhat different and unexpected, yet at the same time a bit rote and by-the-numbers. "Defending Jacob" is quite good and a book you will not be able to put down, but it is so fundamentally flawed at times that I'm not sure I'd read another book by Landay.

Project Select Paint Brush Flat 1-1/2 " All Paints
Project Select Paint Brush Flat 1-1/2 " All Paints
Offered by Hardware Plus Tools
Price: $4.14
3 used & new from $4.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, does a great job, and at the price who cares about longevity, May 30, 2013
Let's be honest. At this price who really expects long life and for most people this will probably be thrown away after one use rather than cleaned up and reused right? That's a fair enough approximation and to that end this brush does a great job. But I'll admit, I'm cheap. I wanted to reuse it a few times before I pitched it out and surprisingly enough it cleaned up reasonably well and did a good job even so. The whole assembly held up quite well despite repeated usage and cleanings and while I'd hardly call it indestructible I have to say I was reasonably impressed by it. My personal assessment is "Would I buy it again?" and the answer is YES! Not the best brand but certainly not the worst. Use and dispose or be cheap like me...it's your call!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20