Profile for Alexander Y. Chang > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alexander Y. Chang RSS Feed (Houston, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
100 2 Inch Net Slit Pots for Hydroponic Aeroponic Use
100 2 Inch Net Slit Pots for Hydroponic Aeroponic Use
Offered by seed kingdom
Price: $10.75
5 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good deal, August 14, 2013
These are normal net cups, and you get 100 for just $13! I'm using them to grow kratky hydroponic lettuce! I might also use them for starting seedlings in the spring.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2014 5:52 AM PDT

TP-LINK TD-W8960N Wireless N300 ADSL2+ Modem Router, 2.4Ghz 300Mbps, 802.11b/g/n, Splitter, 2x 3dBi detachable antennas
Price: Click here to see our price
79 used & new from $25.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes AT&T DSL stable again, August 21, 2011
I bought this locally after my old zoom-brand router+modem finally died. Before that, my internet connection would often randomly drop. At the time I thought the problem was AT&T service, but in retrospect it was definitely my old modem+router. AT&T service is actually very stable and fast when you're equipment works!

So I feel silly for not replacing my old router sooner, especially since the TP-Link only cost $75 at my local Frys, and was extremely easy to setup. The CD was "idiot-proof" with animated step-by-step instructions, and there was a pamphlet specifically explaining the configurations used by AT&T, Verizon, Qwest, Earthlink, etc (even the differences depending on the state you are in). The WIFI setup was painless and had WPA2-PSK authentication (this allows up to a 64-character password).

The box also includes a splitter (DSL filter), 2 3-foot telephone cables (RJ-11), and 1 3-foot ethernet cable (RJ-45). (If you don't have these things already, this is basically all you technically need, though I would also buy longer cables.) The signal is very strong compared to what I was using before (a simple netgear wireless router). It's also sits sturdily and doesn't get pulled by the cables it's connected to.

I've had it for only a month but so far so good. I'm powering it through a UPS (battery), and protecting the line-in through a surge protector. I'm resting it in a way so that all 8-faces are exposed to air (to reduce the risk of overheating), and I'm using an extremely long wlan password. I hope that means I'm set.

I have not had any internet drops or had to "reboot" it at all since I've had it. And, I can now play games online without disconnect while other computers are browsing the internet (something I could not do before). So like I said, it looks like AT&T had always been stable and my problem for years had just been a crappy router+modem. I guess that should be worth noting to anyone reading this. Learn from my mistake. It is not normal for a DSL connection to drop every hour or so on its own. If you are experiencing this, it is most likely your modem/router (even if it shows that LAN is still working while internet is down). There really is no reason to put up with an unstable connection. Prices have also gone down and quality improved in the last couple of years. So just go and buy a new modem+router+WLAN, and be sure to protect it. Stable internet is such a good feeling!

Claber 8967 Trigger Action Garden Hose Spray Nozzle
Claber 8967 Trigger Action Garden Hose Spray Nozzle
Price: $6.99
14 used & new from $6.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Too powerful for vegetable gardens, July 12, 2011
I've been using this everyday for a month. I will describe the product in more detail in this review, as well as justify my opinions of it.

The material is a a hard plastic that is surprisingly light but durable. The snub-barrel is made of soft rubber with the sole purpose of acting as a shock dampener if dropped. It has so far survived 1 month of being in full summer sun during one of Texas's worst droughts. (Daily temperatures in the upper 90s.) No leaks or anything so far.

In terms of features: The spray pistol can conveniently swivel freely around the part that connects to the hose. The Pistol and the connection to the hose can be separated and snapped back together. (I believe this is what they mean by "Quick-Click waterstop connector.") When detached, the water stops.

The trigger can also be locked in place so your hand can rest. One minor complaint I have is that you cannot grip this thing the way you might intuitively think. The curve on the trigger as well as that protruding piece of plastic (top right corner of the picture) give you the impression to grip the handle high and place the crease of your thumb and index finger in that small nook. However, doing so will cause your skin at the crease to bruise (at least for me), and it puts a lot of pressure on that tiny piece of protruding plastic -risking it possibly breaking one day.

Lastly, I want to describe the pistol's spray pattern. The range between a light squeeze and a heavy squeeze basically changes the shape of the cone, going from a wide cone to a narrower cone, to a single thick stream. (You will never be able to get a powerful fine rainy mist, nor a super-strong and thin jet, like you would with a conventional "twist" type nozzle.) And despite the shape of the cone, the water seems to always come out shooting like needles. This is definitely not ideal for watering vegetables or young trees, as the spray will always be too strong and bend plants and kick soil.

I guess I'm saying that the trigger mainly just acts as an on/off switch and affects the shape of the spray, but not the speed that the water comes out. If you want to change the speed, you have to adjust the water coming out of the valve. Not exactly convenient.

Thus overall, this hose is too powerful for watering things like vegetables, flowers, new trees, etc. I think it would be more suited for washing cars or watering big trees and the grass.

The problem in my opinion is that no matter what shape the cone (aka: no matter what setting you squeeze at), the cone will always be made out of several powerful MICRO JETS that can bend vegetable plants over and kick soil around. Basically, no matter what shape the cone, you're always shooting needles, so this is definitely not really that ideal for vegetable gardening, so much as for perhaps watering trees and grass.

The end. I hope my review was helpful and didn't bore you to death.

Albanese Assorted Wild Fruit Worms, 5-Pound Bag
Albanese Assorted Wild Fruit Worms, 5-Pound Bag
Price: $14.09
6 used & new from $7.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty!, June 10, 2011
Good in every way possible for a gummy worm: flavorful, soft, big, colorful. Fruit flavor is tart and sweet. Texture is soft and juicy, not hard.

Everlast Multi Function Chinning Bar
Everlast Multi Function Chinning Bar
Price: $34.24
7 used & new from $32.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective nuts and bolts, bad customer service. Read this for how to fix it yourself., March 15, 2011
(I uploaded 4 pictures with captions of the defective nuts and bolts.)

The gist of the problem is that the bolts+nuts are totally wrong for the product. (The nut is capped, and the bolt is too long.) Therefore, once assembled this thing will be very wobbly and unsafe.

I planned to bash this product on Amazon's customer reviews, but then I learned from all the other reviews that Everlast offered free replacement nuts/bolts when requested via their 1888 number.

So I first gave that a try, but it ultimately failed. They essentially refused to give me replacements because I was out of the 1-year warranty period. They didn't seem to care that their product was unsafe, not as advertised, and the solution relatively inexpensive compared to a potential injury lawsuit.

Bitterness aside for a moment, I recommend to anyone who decides to buy this to save the receipt, and check right away if the nuts/bolts are right (it will be very obvious if they are wrong). If they are wrong, you will have 1 year to ask for replacement bolts/nuts, as long as you can show them your receipt.

In my case since I was ineligible for their replacement parts, I ended up buying my own parts at a hardware store and fixing the problem myself. Only cost me $1.50.

The parts I bought were:

8x "hex nuts 1/4 - 20"
8x "flat washers 1/4"
4x "carriage bolts 1/4 - 20 x 3" <---my hardware store was out if 2.5 inch, so I went with 3 inch. I personally only use this for chin ups so it's not a problem for me. If you use yours for crunches, you will want 2.5 inch or less so the bolt doesn't stick into your back during crunches.

Notes:
1. the 1/4 inch diameter is slightly wider than the official diameter used by Everlast, but still fits without any problems.
2. The sequence I used was: nut+washer+bar1+bar2+washer+nut. It may be a bit overkill to use 2 nuts, but I personally don't mind, and would rather be safe than superficial.
3. Make sure you use Stainless Steel, not brass or something for wood.

So overall, I give this product a 2 out of 5 because of the defective parts and the bad customer service from Everlast. How do you trust the safety of Everlast's products if their designers can make such a huge blunder like this, and then wall off responsibility just to save 50 cents? It's something to think about the next time you go with this brand.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2013 7:47 AM PDT

Oranges: Revenge of the Eggplant
Oranges: Revenge of the Eggplant
DVD ~ Jeff Dolniak
Offered by 5_star_sales
Price: $29.99
6 used & new from $8.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done!, March 1, 2011
I saw the movie trailer on the redlettermedia website and bought the DVD on Amazon.

It's a good movie. Very creative, dark, wierd, funny. It wasn't made by amateurs. These people must have had film-making experience, and spent a lot of time and energy making this. I doubt they profited, or expected to profit. They did it for the art. Well done!

The DVD also includes a commentary track, some deleted scenes, and a behind-the-scenes featurette.

ASUS GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive review, March 1, 2011
INITIAL DRAMA:

I bought this at a local electronics store because it was reasonably priced. I had some problems installing it initially, but overall it works and is stable. The problem was the CD that came with the card. The driver installation process got stuck for no reason and I had to force it to exit. Then I restarted the computer (with incomplete drivers), and Windows went into an an endless bluescreen-of-death loop, which I couldn't recover from, so I had to factory reset my entire c:\ (first backing up files in safe mode).

So in summary, I think the drivers CD failed and ended up wiping out my system! I had to reinstall everything, and use the drivers from NVIDIA's website. After that, no more problems. I would recommend downloading drivers from Nvidia rather than using the CD that comes with the card. That's why I give this 4 stars rather than 5.

Avoid my mistake and you'll be giving it 5 stars.

SOFTWARE:

I have it running Windows Vista on dual CRT monitors (each 1600x1200). (It only comes with one VGA adapter, so I had to buy a second adapter). I can play Modern Warfare2, Left4Dead2, GTA4, Warcraft3, etc -all on 1600x1200 resolution, and medium-high graphics settings. It may be able to play even newer games -these are just the games I happen to have.

HARDWARE:

There's nothing spectacular about my computer: only 2 gigs of RAM, dual core 2.0 GHz CPU by AMD.

I have a $50 power supply (500W) that has a PCI-express connector. I'm pretty sure this graphics card requires your PSU to come with its own PCI-express power connector, since the card has two PCI-E sockets on it, yet comes with only one 4-pin-peripheral-to-PCI-E adapter. So I assume they want you to use both the adapter and your PSU's PCI-E connector.

The card physically takes up 2 PCI slots, and is fairly lengthy and boxy. For me, it just barely locked into place. (The card's fan casing is physically touching something on my motherboard -luckily it's just a cooling plate for my on-board GPU, which is no longer used.) I even had to move my hard drives to different bays because this card ate all the space. Be warned: this card is big.

Like I said earlier, I am using drivers from NVIDIA, not ASUS. Perhaps this card can be over-clocked with software, but I'm going to wimp out and just leave it alone. I don't trust ASUS software anymore given what happened.

The fan is very high-end -not the cheap plastic fan you typically see. It looks like a lot of thought went into its engineering. Pros: cools better, very quiet, densely packed together into a durable housing. Cons: still rather big in size (which may limit its compatibility with some PCs).

ACCESSORIES:

It comes with one HDMI adapter, one VGA adapter, one 4-pin-to-PCI-E adapter (mentioned above), a nice leather CD case, a crappy drivers CD (mentioned above), and a very lame instruction book.

The instruction book is in like 10 different languages, so even though it's like 20 pages, there's only 2 pages worth of instructions. The instructions are generic (not model-specific) and don't really tell you anything.

The leather CD case is nice. I guess it's like a random gift Asus throws in for buying this card?

OTHER:

After registering on the ASUS website, I get a 3 year manufacturer's warranty. The store I purchased from also gives me a 1 year replacement warranty, and a 30-day refund. Thus far, other than the initial problems I had with it, it seems to be quite stable.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Other than initial problems I experienced with installation, this card seems to handle itself quite nicely. It can dual-monitor, and I am impressed that it play all of my games at 1600x1200 resolution.

I guess this card makes me feel "safe." Asus is a reputable and diverse company that will definitely still be around in 3 years, in case something happens. And it's good to know that this card was designed to handle the extra stresses of heat and over-clocking, thus since I don't plan to do any tweaking, I should be very safe. $160 well spent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

Casio Men's MDV102-1AV Sea Analog Illuminator Dual LED Dive Watch
Casio Men's MDV102-1AV Sea Analog Illuminator Dual LED Dive Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, October 18, 2010
I agree with the positive reviews so far regarding stylishness, cost, bright light, water resistance. I'll add some additional comments below:

The glass is very durable. I've worn it for 2+ years, banging it sometimes by accident, still no marks on the glass. The rounded glass also doesn't do that thing of reflecting sunlight around the room like a laser pointer.

I also went scubadiving with it on in Hawaii. No issues.

People do compliment my watch sometimes too. They are surprised by the brand and cost when I tell them.

It's true that the strap is kind of annoying. It's not uncomfortable, it's just too long for my wrist so the extra strap sticks out a bit, even with the loop. (the material is stiff, so even when using the loop, a bit still sticks strait out). So yea, it sometimes snags. By snagging I mean that it pushes the strap out of the loop. For instance, occaisionally when driving with just my left hand and making a turn, that little part of the strap sticking out catches on something. (It's more annoying than it is dangerous.) Still, for me it's not worth the bother to replace the band.

The only other slightly irritating thing is the rotating bezel. I never use it, so I set the big nob on 12, but for some reason it always rotates a bit on it's own. I guess something I do turns it a bit once in a while. lol.

HoMedics SBM-500H Therapist Select Shiatsu One Massaging Cushion with Heat
HoMedics SBM-500H Therapist Select Shiatsu One Massaging Cushion with Heat

5.0 out of 5 stars get this if you can't afford a $2000 lazyboy massager, October 18, 2010
PROS:
1. It's effective. Reasonably similar to a real shiatsu massage.
2. it's durable, well designed, etc. It's not a cheap plastic toy. It's not showing any signs of breaking down, not even tears to the outward material.
3. It's way cheaper than those fancy couches. The main thing the couches have that this doesn't have is the "pounding" thing.

CONS:
1. No huge cons, just some nitpicky remarks FYI:
-It's not comfortable to lean back against it when you're not using it, so you likely be setting it up on a need-to basis, and storing it somewhere afterwards.
-The shiatsu pressure is uneven along different vertibrae, mainly because it's flat, and the human back is arced. You get less pressure on the lower back, and you have to adjust your posture at times to get the most out of some regions.
-The uniform rolling speed and kneeding speed means some areas along your back don't get thuroughly worked unless you manually target that area.
-The shoulder massage has to go practically all the way down to get my shoulders. I also think the two shoulder massagers are a bit too far apart since sometimes the rolling hits the edge of my clavicle bone. (I'm male, 5'10".) If I leave the shoudler massage at default position, it's around lower skull level. I can tilt my head to the left or right and get sort of a neck massage, but I don't think that's what it was intended for. =)
-I need a pillow for my head when doing the shoulder massage, since it's uncomfortable to rest my head against the void space.
-even without the Heat turned on, it can get hot from all the friction against your clothes.
-I find the rolling massage and demo mode to be pointless. A waste of space on the remote. lol.

SUMMARY:
If you can't afford one of those $2000 lazy boy couches, get this. It's pretty close, and costs under $200. To my knowledge, there is no other equipment out there for this kind of money that's as effective.

Logitech Corded Mouse (M500)
Logitech Corded Mouse (M500)
Price: $25.73
42 used & new from $16.48

1.0 out of 5 stars The design is terrible., October 18, 2010
CONS:
1. The size of the mouse really big, so you grip it funny, and it's slightly harder to slide around. This is bad for gaming.
2. It has an odd shape, and I end up using a lot more thumb pressure for gripping, which makes it rotate to an 11 o'clock angle, which again is bad for gaming.
3. the rubber coating on the sides is flaking off after 1 week of heavy use.
4. I hate the Logitech software (attention-whoring bloatware imo) so I didn't install it. As a result, the side scrolling doesn't work. Oh well.
5. I sometimes accidentally hit the forward/back keys with my thumb.

PROS:
1. functionally working.
2. Laser > Optical.

Summary:
I recommend staying away from asymetrically shaped mice, and going with another brand (one that gives you full functionality by default, without having to always load their software). Size also matters: too big is bad. Keep this is mind when buying online or in a store.

This was my first laser mouse, bought 2+ years ago. I had been used to the typical optical mouse prior. I bought this to have better precision for gaming, and side-scrolling for excel. It didn't occur to me at the time that shape and size would be such a big deal, and I had no idea that Logitech software would be required to use side-scrolling, and be so bad. I'd take a $10 laser mouse over this any day.

Page: 1 | 2