Profile for Nicole > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 76

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicole RSS Feed (CA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Deadly Little Secret (A Touch Novel)
Deadly Little Secret (A Touch Novel)
by Laurie Faria Stolarz
91 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and Fun!, November 11, 2009
This book was really good at keeping the reader in suspense. I loved the mystery to the story, and throughout reading the book, I kept having to figure out who was stalking Camelia and whether Ben was as sinister as he sounded. I really liked how the author gave us glimpses of the stalker's mind through journal type entries. The only two complaints I have for this book is that it ended kind of abruptly and I was quite annoyed that Camelia didn't tell her parents she was being stalked. To me, I didn't think that was very plausible (I mean, if I knew someone was watching me and potentially trying to harm me, the first people I'd tell are the my parents and the police).

I know there is a sequel out, and I'm now glad I waited so long to actually read this story due to not having to wait for months for the next book in the series. I'm looking forward to reading Deadly Little Lies!

Seven Tears into the Sea
Seven Tears into the Sea
by Terri Farley
Price: $7.03
149 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable, November 8, 2009
I couldn't really get into this book. It seemed so interesting, and I was excited to read it but the plot seemed to drag. The beginning felt so slow and then once things started to progress, I felt it ended abruptly.

The plot, I thought, was original. I had never read a story about a selkie. A selkie, Jesse, falls in love with our main character, Gwen--a normal human girl, when he comes to human form on land. This relationship happens so fast that I never felt a true connection between the two of them. Their love comes so suddenly that I couldn't connect to the emotions the characters felt. There was suppose to be mystery appeal to this book but it didn't give me any sense of suspense and was rather predictable.

I wanted to like this book but I often found myself putting it down in favor of some other activity. In the end, I didn't really care what happened to Gwen and her relationship with her selkie. I'm sure I will have completely forgotten this story in days.

The Cupcake Queen
The Cupcake Queen
by Heather Hepler
Price: $13.59
100 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Hog's Hollow!, November 4, 2009
This review is from: The Cupcake Queen (Hardcover)
When I finished THE CUPCAKE QUEEN by Heather Hepler, my first thought is that the cover is slightly misleading. But not in a bad way. You can look at the cover and think you'll be getting a cute, fun story but this book has a lot more substance to it. While it was an adorable quick read, it dealt with some issues that not only teenagers can relate to, but also others as well--a child's relationship with their parents. The main characters all had problem with their problems they had to deal with, such as losing a parent, separating parents, or being abandoned by one. It made the book more emotional than I was expecting, and I felt the author did a good job of letting me experience Penny's turmoil with her parents.

I liked Penny's narration. She had incredibly insightful and funny things to say about her life in Hog's Hollow, such as "If someone found out they only had one day to live, they should totally move to Hog's Hollow, because here every day feels like an eternity" (56). Another of my favorite lines was "...I think about the problem with running from your trouble . The problem is in the stopping. The whole time you think you're getting away from everything, the trouble is running like mad, too, trying to catch up with you. And it doesn't slow down when you do--it keeps on sprinting. So when trouble finally reaches you, it hits you hard" (107). There are other passages in the story that I really liked but I won't give them all away.

Even though I found the beginning a little slow, it picks up and becomes more intriguing. I continued to read the story because I came to care what happened to Penny, and when I closed the book, I was happy for her, which is always a great feeling to have at the end of a novel.

Ice
Ice
by Sarah Beth Durst
Price: $15.29
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible love story!, October 31, 2009
This review is from: Ice (Hardcover)
I love unconventional love stories! I was amazed by this story. It was one of the most beautiful tales I've read in a long time--a wonderful fairy tale. The writing was not only beautiful but the plot was intriguing that I had to keep reading and didn't want to put the book down. The depictions of the world in the book were described in a way that I felt I was there in the cold arctic (I recommend reading this with a cup of hot chocolate or else you might be shivering).

The romance was wonderful. It was more of a quite love story that slowly built into something very profound, and this was showcased when Cassie had to risk her life by rescuing Bear from being held prisoner by trolls. Even though Bear and Cassie are incredibly different, their connection felt believable to me. I loved how this unlikely pair came together and I admired both of their courage as the fought to continue to be with one another.

Candor
Candor
by Pam Bachorz
68 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read, October 29, 2009
This review is from: Candor (Hardcover)
I loved the idea of a planned city where everyone is perfect due to subliminal messages. While the teenagers are perfect children for their parents, one happens to rebel quietly and right under the nose of the city's founder, and I love that Oscar Banks is the rebel and the city planner is his dad. It was wonderful to see all the ways Oscar was able to trick his dad, and you are just waiting for him to get caught. However, while this story had a great plot of Oscar rebelling against this perfect little society and then finally falling in love with Nia (a new resident of Candor) and wanting to help her escape becoming a product of his father's messages, I was rather frustrated with the romance aspect of the story.

Oscar and Nia meet and then suddenly, in my opinion, build this strong connection of love. Oscar becomes selfless in his care and desire to protect Nia. I loved this change of Oscar from him only helping other kids escape Candor through monetary compensation and then for doing it for love. However, this love between Oscar and Nia didn't feel genuine. It felt kind of flat to me. I couldn't really come to like Nia. I didn't think she deserved Oscar's protection and love. She was a character that was lacking substance.

Overall, I thought the story was good but it wasn't flawless. I saw so much more potential for the book and it left me with lingering questions. It wasn't a wholly satisfying read but it wasn't bad either. And plus, I though it was an original idea.

Psych Major Syndrome
Psych Major Syndrome
by Alicia Thompson
Price: $14.84
65 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Witty, Romantic Tale of a Psych Major, October 26, 2009
This review is from: Psych Major Syndrome (Hardcover)
The book revolves around Leigh and her first semester at college as a psych major. Due to the study of this major, she becomes rather neurotic and over-analytical over her life, especially the relationship with her boyfriend, and even more especially of her relationship with her boyfriend's roommate.

I thought this book was incredibly witty. I loved Leigh and all her quirks, and she made for some really great laugh out loud moments. I think one of my favorite lines of the book was: "Do you accept creepy robotic babies as trade? I could get you one that's worth five hundred dollars." You'll find sentences like that throughout the book that take you slightly off guard but make you laugh.

The romance was also well done. There was tension created by the scenario of Leigh starting to have feelings for her boyfriend's roommate, Nathan. as you read the development of Leigh's and Nathan's relationship, the chemistry becomes palpable. The ending, while predictable, is cute and wraps things up like a pretty bow. It's a great light, romantic read.

Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange (Quality))
Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange (Quality))
by Lesley Livingston
Price: $7.88
87 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, October 21, 2009
This book is about a young actress, Kelley, that discovers she is part of the faerie world. In the process of discovering her true heritage, she falls in love with the handsome guard of the otherworld--Sonny. This book was interesting as it had some good twists and there was enough action to keep the reader entertained. However, I thought the chemistry between Sonny and Kelley fell flat. Hopefully the next book in the series will improve.

Hush, Hush (The Hush, Hush Saga)
Hush, Hush (The Hush, Hush Saga)
by Becca Fitzpatrick
Price: $13.78
283 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, October 17, 2009
Nora is an average girl in high school that happens to one day be partnered with Patch in Biology. This starts a relationship that turns Nora's life upside down and into a not-so-average life anymore. Soon she is being stalked and some one is trying to kill her. She knows Patch is dangerous and might be the one behind all the trouble but she is drawn to him and can't stay away from him.

I loved this book! The suspense was wonderful and the author did a great job creating a page turner. While I was slightly confused at some parts at the end due to so much information being revealed, I know there is a sequel so I hope things will be better explained in the next book. If you're a girl that loves a bad boy then you'll love this book. There is just something about Patch that draws you in just like he does for Nora. My only warning is to make sure you have enough free time to read it. I read it in less than a day and it was worth sacrificing my work for it!

Living Dead Girl
Living Dead Girl
by Elizabeth Scott
Price: $6.41
98 used & new from $1.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Story, October 16, 2009
This review is from: Living Dead Girl (Paperback)
Incredibly disturbing. I don't think I can say much more than that. It really pushed me to be in "Alice's" situation and it wasn't hard to imagine--the writing was wonderful in that it put you right there in the present with her. This isn't a book I'd read more than once (once was enough) but it is a book that I would recommend people read (if you don't have a weak stomach) once.

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)
Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)
by Gail Carriger
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.00
214 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, October 15, 2009
Alexia is soulless. In a world full of supernaturals, she is their antithesis. She neutralizes supernaturals and makes them revert back to their human form. While this makes Alexia interesting, she is even more interesting as she helps the werewolf Lord Maccon investigate the disappearance of supernaturals and appearances of newbie vampires.

I loved this book. I found the character of Alexia highly entertaining. I loved her wit and I adored the dialogue she had with Lord Maccon. They both had wonderful chemistry as a couple. This book makes you laugh out loud. I will definitely read the sequel when it come out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8