Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for N.H. Bookworm > Reviews

Browse

N.H. Bookworm's Profile

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N.H. Bookworm RSS Feed (New Hampshire, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The 30-Day Sobriety Solution: How to Cut Back or Quit Drinking in the Privacy of Your Own Home
by Jack Canfield
Price: $18.42
76 used & new from $5.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Book, May 6, 2016
I am working through this book and have found it really helpful. It is practical, the action steps are doable (although some are lengthy and take more than one day to complete), and the companion website is a major benefit. The only reservation I have about the book is that it has stolen a lot of pop psychology and new age techniques and put it into a sort of "compendium" of "solutions." I would have preferred the authors to be a little more original. If you are struggling to eliminate or change a bad habit, however, I would definitely give it a try!

Fail, Fail Again, Fail Better: Wise Advice for Leaning into the Unknown
Fail, Fail Again, Fail Better: Wise Advice for Leaning into the Unknown
by Pema Chödrön
Price: $9.36
68 used & new from $6.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in this small book, September 17, 2015
Disappointed in this small book. I had expected better and more insights than what it contained. Pema's honesty in answering the interview questions is always appreciated, but I don't think I would have bought the book if I reviewed it in a bookshop.

Tim Gunn: The Natty Professor: A Master Class on Mentoring, Motivating, and Making It Work!
by Ada Calhoun
Price: $20.78
102 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, May 1, 2015
This is definitely not a well-organized "Master Class on Mentoring, Motivating, and Making It Work!" While there are some very worthy tidbits of advice and Tim Gunn is definitely a person I would love to chat with over coffee about his philosophy of life, the title and book's description led me to buy it for structured advice and teaching about his method.

While all of that IS in there, it is most certainly not structured. It is more like a jolly coffee klatsch romp with Tim sharing some stories from his life, from which readers are supposed to glean his life lessons. If I wasn't in my mid-fifties and have a great deal of life experience already, in many cases, the book would have read more like a gossip column.

That having been said, I did enjoy the book as it was an easy, light read. I think I know a little bit more about Tim for reading it and I like him more now than I already did. Read it, but just don't expect too much deep instruction or insight.

Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things
Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things
by Gail Steketee
Price: $12.02
104 used & new from $3.11

4.0 out of 5 stars It also gave me food for thought about what to look for when moving into an apartment or condo -- imagine having someone like th, October 31, 2014
Fascinating read for the most part. I learned a lot about hoarders and some of what motivates them. It also gave me food for thought about what to look for when moving into an apartment or condo -- imagine having someone like that living on the other side of a shared wall, complete with vermin and filth! Actually, I think I did at one apartment I lived in, as the management had to spray my place for cockroaches because of the neighbors next door. UGH!! I will keep this book to re-read in the future, as most of the chapters are well-written and compelling.

Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
by Joshua Fields Millburn
Price: $11.44
44 used & new from $5.98

2.0 out of 5 stars This is not a book I would recommend to anyone wishing to learn about minimalism, October 31, 2014
This is not a book I would recommend to anyone wishing to learn about minimalism. This book is poorly written, poorly edited (grammar errors, strange abbreviations, and typos all over the place), and is really a lifestyle manifesto of what was/is personally important to these two men. I really like these guys and read their blog, follow them on Facebook, and have watched several of their videos on the Internet, so I was truly disappointed in the book. Please, don't waste your money if you want to learn about minimalism. However, if you DO want to know what those guys were doing a couple of years ago, then have a go at it. It's a quick read.

The Emotional Life of Your Brain: How Its Unique Patterns Affect the Way You Think, Feel, and Live--and How You Ca n Change Them
by Richard J. Davidson
84 used & new from $1.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Not Meet My Expectations, August 31, 2013
This book was basically a chronicling of Davidson's research and the "Emotional Styles" and "How You Change...the Unique Patterns Affect(ing) the Way you Think, Feel, and Live" (paraphrased from the cover) were pretty much gratuitous to the person who purchased the book as a self-help book. I purchased it as a self-help book, so it did not meet my expectations and I found reading about his research uninteresting, simply because I'm not a scientist.

I guess it depends what you're looking for, but I found the description of the book's focus as a bit dishonest. This will be donated to my nearest Good Will store as I don't see myself referencing its contents in the future.

Merlin: Season 5
Merlin: Season 5
DVD ~ Colin Morgan
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $30.51
33 used & new from $14.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm....., June 14, 2013
This review is from: Merlin: Season 5 (DVD)
Wish the series had ended better. Love the Arthurian legend, and hoped for more for this final season of Merlin.

The Original Backnobber II.
The Original Backnobber II.
Offered by Rhino Power Sales Inc
Price: $29.95
24 used & new from $28.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Tricky, June 14, 2013
Still working out the kinks (pun intended) on this one. I think it'll do the trick once I get the leverage correct.

Hamilton Beach Set 'n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe, 6-Quart (33967)
28 used & new from $46.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's HUGE!!, June 14, 2013
This thing's really big. Takes up a lot of counter space. Don't know if I'll use all the features, but we'll see.

Atlas Shrugged
Atlas Shrugged
by Ayn Rand
Price: $16.46
394 used & new from $2.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Still schlepping..., June 14, 2013
This review is from: Atlas Shrugged (Paperback)
As of this writing, I'm still schlepping through the novel, and if I read the word "nowadays" one more time I think I'll scream. I promised to read it along with my sister, who is even farther behind than I am. I'm at around page 250 and still waiting for the redemptive message to start to make itself known. Hoping to get through it soon to move on to more fascinating reading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2013 11:45 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4