Profile for Shopper in Austin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 52

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shopper in Austin RSS Feed (Austin, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Love's Illusion
Love's Illusion
89 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the writer, May 9, 2014
Unusual profession for a romance; an illusionalist. Good characters. Male role very mysterious, kept me guessing if he was Jack The Ripper. Wasn't a gory story, thank goodness. Unusual circumstances for female lead in for a regency romance story at the beginning of the book. I always fall in love with both her leading characters even though the the male leads may not be heroes in the pure sense. Unlikely heroes and characters that rise up to the occasion. Love it.

Primeshop-Mini Stainless Steel Metal Phone Holder Car Desk Stand for Apple iPhone 5 iPhone 4 4S iPod Samsung Galaxy S3, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute, sturdy material, not tall enough for charging, May 9, 2014
Cute, sturdy material, not tall enough for charging, holds phone a bit too straight, flip out feet could be higher up when extended open to hold a phone, feet doesn't extend out far enough to sturdily hold a phone. Has a slick and attractive sleeve cover to hold folded up feet in place. When item is closed, it looks like a flash drive. Is it worth $10.00 ... Probably not. One shouldn't pay more than $5.00 after tax on this unit. I wish LEGO toys could make a better unit for me to build a cell phone stand to fit all types of mobile phone sizes!

Thermos Vacuum Insulated 18-Ounce Stainless-Steel Hydration Bottle
Thermos Vacuum Insulated 18-Ounce Stainless-Steel Hydration Bottle
Price: $13.80
49 used & new from $11.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Love My Bottle, Had It for Years, May 9, 2014
The titles says it all. I have had this double wall stainless steel water bottle for years. It holds a good deal of liquids. I like my coffee and hot tea almost scalding. I made hot tea this morning at 9:00am and didn't get around to drinking it until 5:00 pm and the tea was still warm. That tells you how well the insulation works. As to cleaning, you will need a bottle brush for manual cleaning, or I put mine in the dish washer. If you use the dish washer, you will need to remove the rubber grip, else you may find it coming off the bottle during the wash. It has a nice blue rubber seal along the screw in portion of the lid as well as a blue rubber stopper on the drink opening on top to keep it from spilling. The added flip hook keeps accidental opening of the lid. I am pretty rough with my bottle; I have taken it hiking, thrown it into a gym bag, and thrown it in with groceries and in a brief case with papers. The only time the bottle spilled was when I forgot to flip the hook to keep the lid closed. The double wall keeps the bottle from sweating for iced drinks. The bottle gets a bit warm for boiling liquids but the rubber grip held prevent burned fingers. Of course one should let it cool before closing the lid. I do flip it open off and on during my one hour drive into work just to let the steam out. The only thing this bottle doesn't have that I wished it had is an expandable handle that is flushed against the body of the bottle when not in use, and that same handle can double for hooking the bottle to a belt loop when walking or hiking. I believe I bought mine years ago at TJMaxx for about $10.00. I haven't seen it there in years, but I think I may have seen it at Academy. I love popping the lid open just to hear it go "doiiing". Otherwise, a great purchase.

Pros: hot liquid stays hot for at least 3 hours, cold drinks stays cold without sweating, stores a good amount of liquid, dish washer safe on the bottle (top rack for lid), handy rubber grip, rubber gasket lid with stopper doesn't spill, good price.

Con: no handle or loop for carrying.

Support4Physio Oppo: Rib Belt (Women) Op4074
Support4Physio Oppo: Rib Belt (Women) Op4074
Offered by The Care
Price: $20.99
2 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice rib belt, April 7, 2014
In the past, I had bronchitis and coughed so much that my both sides of my ribs ached. However, this round of bronchitis felt different. I pulled my rib muscle from coughing so hard that the muscle in front of my left rib bulged out (my right side was normal). I was in constant pain for 2 weeks before seeing the doctor. Every time I coughed, I had to push down on the muscle in order to brace for the sharp pain.

I wanted to save $8.00 by ordering thru this vendor instead of the vendor who could have sent it in 2 days (via Amazon Prime). I'm okay with this vendor. The item came in a box in a bag, but the vendor did not include an invoice in case I needed to return it for any reason. As it was my decision, I received the belt after a week (vendor uses US Postal Service or USPS) and by that time my pain had already lessened. However, I'm still wearing the belt because putting the pressure on the ribs helps and I don't have to hold the pained muscle when I cough.

The belt has a Velcro front that overlaps about 2 inches in the front. The front 2 sides are foam padded, and is sewn to join a one piece horizontal stripes of elastic in the back (hard to describe the elastic). The transition of the 2 materials does not scratch the skin. The elastic is pretty strong and doesn't give easily so that it will put pressure on the ribs. The dip in the front of the belt is perfect for women's body and doesn't interfere with the breasts. The fabric is soft so that it doesn't chafe the skin should you decide to wear it underneath clothing ... and you can wear it over (not too thick) clothing.

One more great thing about this product is that I can insert a heated gel pack (not too thick) and have the belt hold it in place to help relax the muscle. The belt holds my heated gel pack so that I can go about and do what I need to do without being restricted to being near a plug by using a traditional heating pad.

Nicholas: The Lords of Satyr
Nicholas: The Lords of Satyr
by Elizabeth Amber
Price: $5.18
21 used & new from $2.35

1.0 out of 5 stars I Would Like My Money Back, February 8, 2014
I bought this book via Amazon.com and I must say that the story is lackluster. The alias author should dump this series in the trash and try again. It would take too long to give all the reasons why. Honestly, I really don't know how this book got published.

Whitehorse
Whitehorse
134 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, Love This Writer, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Whitehorse (Mass Market Paperback)
I am an avid fan of Ms. Sutcliffe for over 20 years. Her characters are sometimes unlikely heroes, but her stories are always loveable, likeable, and interesting. When you finish reading her book, you almost believe her characters are real people.

I've read almost all of Ms. Sutcliffe's books except this one. I ordered my book thru Amazon and surprisingly, my copy was a signed copy by the author "Jeanne Best Wishes Katherine Suttcliffe. Otherwise, the book was in excellent condition except a minute bent corner on the lower right side of the book.

This one is a contemporary romance, unlike most of her books which are historical romances. The two main characters are Johnny Whitehorse and Leah Starr who were high school sweethearts. Johnny was the son of a poor Mescalero Apache horse trainer who worked for Leah's parents in Ruidoso New Mexico. Leah's father was a Senator who loved no one except himself and had the horse farm mostly due to Leah's deceased mother's love for horses. Johnny and Leah had planned on getting married when they graduated from high school. The Senator opposed to Leah's relationship with Johnny and threatened Leah with firing Johnny's father and blackballing him from working with any horses if she didn't break off her relationship with Johnny. Out of fear for Johnny's father she heart-breakingly told Johnny that she didn't love him anymore and that it was a mistake.

The old lovers had individually moved back to their hometown of Ruidoso. Since Leah's mother had given her daughter the love for horses, Leah became a vet (she mostly dealt with horses and goats in this story). In the meantime, Johnny had become a celebrity model and had invested his money in breeding horses. Johnny had bought Leah's parents farm and has financial interests in the racetracks. The story opens with Johnny dating his old flame, Dolores Rainwater (a girl that Johnny had dumped for Leah), and a divorced Leah moving back to Ruidoso with her 4 years old cerebral palsy son. She has a live-in nanny which allows her to work.

Since most of Leah's clients lived on the reservation and were not well off, Leah needed a job that pays in order to pay her nanny and all the special needs for her son. Leah's ex-husband doesn't contribute financially for her son's care, nor does he visits his son. Leah was determined to make it on her own and not ask her wealthy father for anything. She applies for a vet position for the racetracks and unknowingly worked for a group of investors, who one of them was Johnny.

This is a story about second chances and the trials and tribulations of forgiveness, acceptance, tenderness, and a childhood love that endures. I won't give all the story away ... you'd have to read it. But I can tell you that the story is heart-warming. However, I agree with another reader believing that the ending was rather abrupt. I would have liked to have read a little more past the ending. Nevertheless, it is a great story and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Addicted to You (A One Night of Passion Novel)
Addicted to You (A One Night of Passion Novel)
by Beth Kery
Price: $13.18
91 used & new from $1.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story line, very erotic scenes, January 19, 2014
Of the 3 books (Addicted to You, Wicked Burn, Sweet Restraint) that I read from this author, Addicted to You and Wicked Burn were the better books with better stories. However, the lead male character being Irish was not convincing because the dialog really did not reflect an Irish brogue for the director/playwright. Generally, the story in itself flows very well.

This story is about an Irish film director Rill Pierce and his long-time best friend's younger sister, Katie Hughes. Katie has had a crush on Rill but doesn't really explain when this occurred. Rill had married Katie's affluent and lady-like college roommate, Eden. The story opens 18 months after Eden's death in a car accident. Rill had stopped working and isolated himself in a backwoods small town pickling his insides with bottles of Whiskey to try and forget his problems. Katie had been dissatisfied with her job as a partner in a law firm who specializes in taking care of wealthy Hollywood types. Katie quits her job and decides to pull Rill out of his isolation. She shows up on his doorstep and refuses to leave. Though drunk, Rill seduces Katie and forgot about the incident when he is sober.

Rill eventually repairs his relationship with his best friend Everett (who is also Katie's brother), faces his past, and explores his the redefinition of his relationship with Katie. The love scenes are very graphic and hot. I'm not fond of the backdoor action in her books -- it could have been omitted and still be a good romance book.

ActiveWrap Hand/Wrist Wrap for Right or Left Hand, One Size, Black
ActiveWrap Hand/Wrist Wrap for Right or Left Hand, One Size, Black
Offered by Super Duper Deals
Price: $28.37
21 used & new from $28.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product - Use for Tendontitis on My Wrist, January 11, 2014
After looking online and reading the reviews, I chose this hot/cold pad for my wrist. I have tendonitis for 11 weeks now. I woke up one morning while taking Levaquin thinking that I must have slept on my wrist wrong. After 3 weeks, I returned to the doctor and found that I got tendonitis ... probably from taking the antibiotic, Levaquin. I have taken it before without any problems until this time. I didn't know tendonitis was a side effect before taking the product and I never asked. (Someone else I knew who took the antibiotic, Cipro. That person's Achilles tendon went out ... he'll probably be on crutches for the year.) When I went to the doctor, he wanted me to soak my wrist in warm water, as hot as comfortable for me. I tried the bucket of hot water, and I even tried the hot wax for hands. The latter didn't reach my wrist and the wax took over an hour to heat up. Both methods were cumbersome, messy, and restrictive. I needed something that can retain heat over my wrist and still allow me to walk around doing chores or typing on the computer. The first night that I used it after work, the next day my wrist actually felt some relief.

There are 2 gel-like packs with Velcro pouches. You could also Velcro both enclosed gel packs, one on top and one on the bottom to the inside of this wrist wrap. Using both top and bottom gel packs tend to feel like a weight. I just use one of the packs for the top of my wrist where my pain occurs. I microwave the gel pack in warm water for 1 minute 20 seconds, wipe the water off the gel-pack, put the gel back into the Velcro sleeves, then Velcro the enclosed gel pouch to the wrap (1 1/2 minutes was too hot; I had to put a handkerchief between the gel-pack and my hand. The unit does stay warm for 15-20 minutes. Using this while typing is a bit more difficult because your fingers are somewhat squeeze together in order to secure the wrap. Nevertheless, it's doable. I have not yet used the gel as a cold pack.

PROs: less restrictive in activities because you are not corded to a plug, shapes to your hand, stays securely, convenient by microwave heating the gel pack under water in a container, and it can be taken to the office for use, stays warm for roughly 15-20 minutes, can be flipped around for either left or right hand.

CONs: doesn't stay hot longer, a little harder to type while wearing this.

RECOMMENDATIONS: for tendonitis in the wrist, you may consider using the Futuro brand thumb stabilizer. This prevents your thumb from folding toward your palm which causes sharp pain to the upper wrist tendon. The Futuro thumb stabilizer also braces the wrist to not let you flex your wrist too much ... but still allow some movements. Tbe Futuro thumb stabilizer: FUTURO(TM) Deluxe Thumb Stabilizer 45843EN, Small/Medium

I took photos of what you get in an order and uploaded the pictures.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 4:16 PM PDT

Wicked Burn (Berkley Sensation)
Wicked Burn (Berkley Sensation)
by Beth Kery
Price: $7.11
63 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Writer, Very Steamy Love Scenes - Could do without some, January 5, 2014
I picked up my first Beth Kery book at my local Half Price Books store and read it in 2 days. I was pleasantly surprised that Ms. Kery does a very good character development and certainly knows how to write some steamy love scenes. The male lead, Vic, is certainly a dominant male and the female lead, Niall, is not as strong as a female lead as I'd like. For the most part, the book reads well. I felt that the author could have expand more on the character development. Though this book has lots of sex, the scenes flowed with and throughout the the story without being forced and disjointed. I'm interested in reading more of this author to see how her writing progress. In fact, I just picked up another book by the same author, Sweet Restraint.

Don't read the following if you don't want to know the whole story ...
The 2 characters met because they were neighbors at an apartment complex in Chicago, Illinois. Vic Savian is a successful playwright for the stage and Niall Chandler is a museum curator. Though the two have seen each other in the building, they have never met. It all changed when Niall started dating again and returned to her apartment with a date who won't take no for an answer. Vic steps in and gets rid of the guy for her. The two meet and start a non-relationship type of torrid affair. Both characters have baggage. Vic's baggage is getting over being jilted by someone he was engaged to many years ago, and Niall's baggage is a hospitalized mentally unstable husband and a murdered 4 years old son. Niall tried to initiate divorce procedures even before the two met, but fear what it would do to an suicidal/homicidal absentee husband. The two characters have the usual communication issues (though he's more open than she), and she suffers nightmares of her son's murder and has difficulty discussing it with Vic. Eventually, the two split up for 6 months then found their way to each other again. This time both parties decide to have an acknowledged relationship (which is the next level, in this case).

Devotion
Devotion
168 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite Sutcliffe book, but still recommend it, December 6, 2013
This review is from: Devotion (Mass Market Paperback)
Katherine Sutcliffe is one of my favorite historical romance writers. This was not one of my favorite books of the author because the majority of the pages were almost mostly a monologue and or musings from the primary female character, Maria. However, toward the last quarter of the book, there were some interesting characters interaction between the main male and female characters. This story was about the twin brother, Trey Hawthorne, who was not what you would consider a hero type. In fact, he was mostly a cad in her other book. What I love about Ms. Suttcliffe's books is that she writes about the unlikely hero who which displays the character's humanity. I found this 1996 book at a small town local used bookstore in almost mint condition. Regardless of the lower rating, I still enjoyed the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6