Profile for Katje L. Sabin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 102

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Katje L. Sabin "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." RSS Feed (Windy City Knitty Gritty)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Masterworks Miniature Painting w/Marike Reimer SW (MINT/New)
Masterworks Miniature Painting w/Marike Reimer SW (MINT/New)
Offered by Hobby Game Center
Price: $48.92
2 used & new from $48.92

5.0 out of 5 stars He loves it!, July 7, 2014
This was a gift for my husband, who is already a dab hand at painting minis. He's been utterly engrossed by these DVDs, and I can't wait to see his next project... thanks, Marike!

T-fal E9380884 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Oven Safe Dishwasher Safe PFOA Free Cookware Fry Pan / Saute Pan, 12-Inch, Black
Price: $25.55
72 used & new from $23.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Third time's the charm!, July 7, 2014
So: Cooks Illustrated gave this a great review, and my old non-stick skillet (by Cuisinart, a fantastic pan that gave me the better part of a decade of good service) was really needing to be retired, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The pan looked great right out of the box, and I couldn't wait to put it through its paces. Unfortunately, the very first thing I made, fried eggs (which need a little bit of fat to cook right) proved that I had one of the pans that were bent... the center bows up higher than the sides, so anything liquid you pour into the pan races off the center and puddles around the edges. I pulled the Cuisinart out of the give-away pile and put it back into rotation, figuring I'd give the bum pan to one of my college kids getting ready to move out.

Then I saw a review here that mentioned T-fal would replace the faulty pans. So I emailed T-fal (t-fal@mailnj.custhelp.com) and was told I needed to pay shipping. After a little nastygram back, they changed their tune and sent a shipping label. I sent it back and within a few weeks, a new pan arrived.

Guess what? Either they sent me back the original pan or just didn't test this one... it had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! Do these guys not have a research department? Could they not see that the stamp on the bottom was rendering their otherwise wonderful pans unusable? What is wrong with them? Another disappointed email, and to my surprise, they offered to send ANOTHER pan! I held off on the order of the replacement Cuisinart pan, and waited doubtfully for the third pan to arrive.

Turns out, in the case of T-fal, third time's the charm! I got a lovely flat pan, which really does perform as beautifully as the Cooks Illustrated review said it does. So... you have to be your own best advocate, but if you are persistent, you WILL wind up with a pan you love (hence the 5-star review, despite their embarrassing willingness to send out flawed products).

By the way, I wish I'd seen another reviewer's solution months ago: he set the pan on a ring of rolled-up towel, and stepped on it to flatten it. Brilliant! But still... we shouldn't have to dance on our cookware to make them useable.

Five stars for the good pan, four for their customer service, and one for the idjit who thought an un-counter-pressured stamp on the bottom of a flat pan would be a good idea.

Color Changing Night Light Set of 3 with Automatic Dusk to Dawn Sensor!
Color Changing Night Light Set of 3 with Automatic Dusk to Dawn Sensor!
Offered by CloseoutZone
Price: $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but no sensor?, June 18, 2014
Just got our order of six of these nifty lights, to replace the sole survivor of my Costco purchase of years ago. The one I have left still works perfectly (ie, turns off in bright light, turns on in the dark, cycles through pretty colors). BUT the ones I just got, which seem identical to the old one, do not seem to have any kind of light sensor. They stay on all the time. I'm hoping they figure out the difference between light and dark, but as of now... nope. Still, I love the colors and they help SO much in our dark, dark hallway, so 4 stars it is despite faulty parts (or false advertising).

Vktech 5x Converter Presta to Schrader Bicycle Bike Valve Adaptor Tube Pump Tools
Offered by Vktech
Price: $2.99
12 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, May 31, 2014
These do exactly what they say they will do. No problems with leaks or falling off. Sturdy and damn why does Amazon make me write so much? If this is what you're looking for, just buy it! You won't be sorry!

Bluecell Green Color Handheld Tally Counter 4 Digit Display for Lap/Sport/Coach/School/Event
Offered by Cube Lover
Price: $3.99
9 used & new from $1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars SPD kid? Try this!, May 31, 2014
I have a son with sensory processing issues, and he found a similar one to this at a friend's house and immediately begged for one of his own. For the price, he has gotten a TON of great use from this. He gets great satisfaction from the action, the noise, and lining up the numbers just so.

Mini Dusting Brush, 10in
Mini Dusting Brush, 10in
Offered by TCP Global Corp
Price: $5.96
12 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Ick, eraser crumbs!, May 31, 2014
This review is from: Mini Dusting Brush, 10in
I'm a calligrapher, and I apparently make more than my fair share of mistakes. My table quickly gets filled with lots of little eraser crumbs, and this puppy does the trick, efficiently whisking them to the depths of the floor below. Also, my son loves to play with it; very soft and durable for the price.

Ultra Light Weight Archery Arm Guard, Forms to the Arm for a Great Fit
Ultra Light Weight Archery Arm Guard, Forms to the Arm for a Great Fit
Offered by Great Deals LLC
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for the price, May 31, 2014
My 10-year-old son uses this for his weekly archery practice, and has not had one incidence of arm burn since he got it. It's a little cheap-looking, but so far it's been sturdy and has taken his abuse. I wouldn't buy this for an adult, though.

Tulip Body Art Crystals and Adhesive Multi ct
Tulip Body Art Crystals and Adhesive Multi ct
Price: $5.99
3 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars She loved it!, May 31, 2014
This was a gift for a Reddit beauty exchange, and my giftee said she was thrilled and loved it. Thanks!

Lumos - Harry Potter Temporary Tattoo (Set of 2)
Lumos - Harry Potter Temporary Tattoo (Set of 2)
Offered by Tattify

by Robin Sloan
Price: $8.52
193 used & new from $2.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Rang false to me (SPOILERISH), May 31, 2014
An engaging story with rather flat characters but an intriguing concept. However, I am (and know) a lot of book/puzzle people, and NONE of them would have acted like this kid. Anyone who loves puzzles would relish the search, AND encourage others in the same search. You don't just blurt out an answer (especially in a room full of others who have dedicated their lives to the search)... it's extremely rude and disrespectful. If you are fortunate enough to gain an advantage (which this kid did by, essentially, stealing not one but four vital artifacts... breaking rules that generations of puzzlers had followed), you share that information with your fellow searchers and let them have their own "eureka!" moment. This is the biggest difference between teachers who expect rote memorization, and those who lead you to the edge of a discovery and let you get frustrated before finally getting your "AHA!" — You OWN that knowledge now, you've earned it. There were just too many moments that rang false to me throughout this book. The worst thing is that it was recommended to me as having a satisfying ending on the same par as Louis Sachar's brilliant "Holes." No, it does not. The ending was more like another first-time novelist's book that also had a rich environment but cardboard characters, Erin Morganstern's "Night Circus" -- a real let-down after the investment of reading all the way through it. You know, come to think of it, I wonder if they were first written as screenplays and then as novels? They both had a sense of trying to set a movie scene. Not a good trend in my opinion. Pass this one by if you have some Pratchett or Hillerman at hand.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11