Profile for midorikatt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"midorikatt" RSS Feed (Roanoke, VA United States)

The Chronoliths
The Chronoliths
by Robert Charles Wilson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
71 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the SF?, May 13, 2004
A science fiction story with a great premise: giant monuments, commemorating a conqueror's future victories, start appearing in cities all over Earth, creating social and political chaos--perhaps the very chaos that led to him to power in the first place. It's an original idea, and I love time travel, so I had high hopes for this book.
Unfortunately, the story never lived up to its potential. The mechanics of the Chronoliths and the associated time travel were never explained, he barely touched on the potentially fascinating aspect of how politics and culture would be affected, and the story had a very vague and unsatisfying ending. It barely even qualifies as science fiction; Kuin and the Chronoliths were pushed far in the background in favor of the extremely boring relationship between the father and daughter. You could have taken the Chronoliths out of the story completely, and it wouldn't have made much of a difference at all--definitely not a good sign in a science fiction novel. I was enormously frustrated by the wasted potential in this book.
Loved the idea, disappointed with the execution. Gorgeous cover art, though.

Homebody
Homebody
by Orson Scott Card
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
131 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Non-horrifying horror, May 13, 2004
This review is from: Homebody (Mass Market Paperback)
This novel, by one of the great modern science fiction authors, was not what I was expecting. Homebody isn't science fiction, it's more of a light horror/romance. I almost stopped reading during the first half, because the story seemed like a misplaced romance novel, a genre I have absolutely no interest in. The second half was definitely an improvement over the earlier chapters, but the overall book was a disappointment. The plot and its twists were extremely predictable, and it never really reached what I would consider horror. I was annoyed by the disappearance of the first female lead--she was written as if she would be a main character, then she diappeared halfway through and was never heard from again. Very sloppy.
I think I'll stick to Card's sci-fi, if this is what happens when he switches genres...

Corn Snake Manual
Corn Snake Manual
by Kathy Love
121 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for corn owners, May 13, 2004
This review is from: Corn Snake Manual (Paperback)
I recently bought my first pet Corn, and picked this guide up as a reference for my new baby snake. This book is considered the bible of corn snake ownership, and for good reason. It's massively thorough, covering every topic a new snake owner needs to know about, as well as some other interesting stuff. I particularly enjoyed the section on genetics and the history of the different morphs.
My only nitpick is that the authors state a lot of their personal opinions about the value of different colors and patterns as if they're universal--they actually call dark colors "ugly" at one point, whereas I find them the most appealing. It would be better if they could remain objective, and simply present the facts.