Profile for Jessica K. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 57

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jessica K. RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Skinceuticals  Daily Moisturize Pore-minimizing Moisturizer For Normal Or Oily Skin, 2-Ounce Jar
Skinceuticals Daily Moisturize Pore-minimizing Moisturizer For Normal Or Oily Skin, 2-Ounce Jar
Offered by all day beauty
Price: $39.30
22 used & new from $35.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for acne-prone skin, February 23, 2015
I have somewhat acne-prone skin. For a while, I kept it under control with bc pills. But I went off bc a few months ago while I was using a different moisturizer called Doctorcos (which I love!) almost a year ago. I was pleasantly surprised that my acne stayed under control. But recently, I ran out of the Doctorcos moisturizer and decided to try a different moisturizer because it's hard to find and it was going to take 15-20 days to arrive if I ordered from the amazon marketplace and I couldn't wait that long (bad planning). So I picked Skinceuticals based on the reviews and the possibility that it might help with pore size.

Problems I had with it:
(1) It leaves my skin feeling and looking pretty greasy within half an hour.
(2) It stings pretty significantly! Is it supposed to - maybe to be effective for tightening up those pores?! I don't even have particularly sensitive skin so I was pretty concerned about this.
(3) I broke out - it wasn't severe but I suddenly went from having maybe 0-2 blemishes at any given time to 8-10 blemishes on my noise, cheeks, and jawline.
(4) It leaves a slightly opaque white sheen if you don't massage it in really well.

What I liked about it:
(1) I like the light, slightly whipped texture (although not as light as my previous moisturizers, Doctorcos and Complex15)
(2) I think my pores actually looked a bit better!

Anyway, I decided to order the Doctorcos and it finally arrived after two weeks so I'm just going to put this Skinceuticals aside for now. I'll miss the effect it had on my pores but it's not worth the breakouts and the greasiness. If you're not acne-prone, this might be better suited for you than it was for me.

Lime Crime Highly Pigmented and Long-Lasting Opaque Lipstick with Bold Color - My Beautiful Rocket
Offered by One_Love
Price: $18.00
3 used & new from $13.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great orange color, a bit dry., March 16, 2014
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but when I apply it, it's not quite AS opaque as what we see in the product picture. But it's still more opaque than other orange lipsticks I've tried. I also like the level of orange-ness. Like others, I've had problems where I buy a seemingly orange lipstick that is actually more red. It applies somewhat dry and catches on every little bit of excess skin so you really need to make sure you've exfoliated very well before applying. You may need to apply balm or a tiny bit of gloss over it. I love the smell - some lipsticks smell slightly crayon-like but this one smells a bit like candy. I always wear eyeliner and mascara but with this, I could wear it with just some light mascara and it looks nice.

Signature Tumblers 6pc Reusable Thick-Wall Straws, Assorted
Signature Tumblers 6pc Reusable Thick-Wall Straws, Assorted
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $6.05
7 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Work as they should, March 15, 2014
I have no complaints, they work as they should and are really sturdy! I use straws to drink almost everything, so I'm glad I got these so I can stop using disposable straws, which seem so wasteful. Of course it's a bit of a hassle having to wash them with every use but it's easy enough with a straw brush. Just wanted to confirm the other good reviews (although I'm not a huge fan of half the colors - but hey, who's looking?)

I Max Eyelash Conditioner gold
I Max Eyelash Conditioner gold
Offered by MaxLife USA, Inc
Price: $35.00
3 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, March 15, 2014
I mostly just wanted something to strengthen my lashes so they wouldn't fall out so easily. There were a lot of other products I was looking into, but a friend of mine had recommended this to me a few months back so I decided to give it a try. I thought it was a little pricey at first, but I definitely think it was worth it now! I know the product description says it helps with length but I wasn't really depending on that aspect (just seemed unlikely). I've been using it for a little over a month now and it's safe to say this eyelash conditioner has exceeded my expectations.

I started being able to see results about 3-4 weeks in. My lashes definitely have been falling out less, which is really the only thing I had been hoping for. I don't know if it was new growth or the decreased fall-out but my lash-line looks fuller now. But in addition to the increased volume, it actually seems like my lashes are longer! That really surprised me - I thought we could only get those results from prescription products. Don't get me wrong, it's not like they grew to fashion magazine-worthy lengths, but I noticed they were easier to grasp in my curler and that they would go past the usual point when curled.

There was no uncomfortable burning or itchiness but I do sometimes feel a slight warmth for about a minute or two after application. My skin tends to be somewhat sensitive so I'm glad there was no significant discomfort.

MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil Bright Orange 17C 0.04 oz
MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil Bright Orange 17C 0.04 oz
Offered by Macrespo2012
Price: $9.50
4 used & new from $9.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Orange Lipliner, March 15, 2014
I did a side by side comparison with the orange NYX lipliner by applying NYX on the left and MUFE on the right. Then I applied orange (My Beautiful Rocket) Lime Crime lipstick over it all. They both had their strengths and weaknesses

NYX:
- smoother application than MUFE
- smoother, somewhat more moist feel AFTER lipstick application
- slightly more red (instead of orange) than MUFE

MUFE:
- more opaque (the bright orangeness of the lipstick shows up better)
- a little more friction during application
- somewhat dryer AFTER lipstick application

Both had satisfactory staying power.

Mini Takis Fuego (25 Bags-1.2oz)
Mini Takis Fuego (25 Bags-1.2oz)
Offered by MexiFlavor
Price: $18.25
8 used & new from $15.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A little pricey but so worth it., February 2, 2014
I'm a snacker. I like healthy snacks like nuts and veggies. But I also tend to indulge in less than exemplary snacks - every so often, I'll go into 7-Eleven and see if there are any new items in the junk-food world that pique my interest. On one of these expeditions several years ago, I discovered Takis Fuego and it was love at first bite. I love spicy food and lemon is a staple in my diet. So this spicy/sour snack was a perfect little treat for me. I didn't eat it too often since it's obviously not a healthy but I would get a good size bag about once a month. I even introduced Takis to several friends and even the ones the don't like spicy foods/snacks ended up liking these - one said "they make my mouth burn but they're so addictive." I don't know about this whole mouth-burning thing (although I'm more tolerant of spicy food) but I definitely agree with the addictive thing.

Unfortunately, since I moved away from CA to DC, I haven't been able to find them. It might just be the part of DC I'm in, but I don't have a car here that I can freely explore with. And there aren't any 7-Elevens around and I haven't been able to find them in local grocery or convenience stores. So I was glad to find them on here. I wasn't thrilled at the price (although they come out to less than $1/bag) since these are just snack-size bags and the per ounce cost is much more than I would pay for a normal sized bag. But IT'S SO WORTH IT nonetheless.

Neon Pencils
Neon Pencils
Offered by Natural Selection Bath and Body
Price: $5.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend., January 27, 2014
This review is from: Neon Pencils (Health and Beauty)
I got these at Target. I was very disappointed. I'll try to post some pictures later, but basically, the colors came out very waxy and some spots would be left blank even if I went over the same spot multiple times. The yellow neon would probably be the most worthwhile since it's hard to see the empty spots. But with the neon green, orange, and pink, you can see the blank spots.

Casabella Get a Grip Soap Dispenser with Suction Base, White
Casabella Get a Grip Soap Dispenser with Suction Base, White
Price: $11.31
9 used & new from $11.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it a 3.5, January 26, 2014
I really needed a soap dispenser that had a suction at the bottom since the vanity in my apartment at school is basically just the sink stuck to the wall which means most soap dispensers are too unstable for the narrow space. So I was glad to find this one. When I received it, I had some doubts about its suction ability because of how flat it looked. At first, I had a little trouble but I realized a drop of water or two will keep it stuck pretty well. It might slide just a little but it's pretty stable otherwise and the suction serves its purpose.

However, I have a couple problems with design:
One effects the sanitary-ness. You can see from the product photo that there's a pit between the handle and the container. Well, when you have wet, not completely clean hands and you go to press down on the handle, some of the water from your hand can drip into that pit. It dries up but then it can get a little germy and residue can slowly build in there. Luckily, it's easy enough to open everything up and clean out every so often, but it seems like an unnecessary hassle.
The second problem effects functionality. The opening of the spout is completely flat and vertical. There isn't any downward slant at the tip of the tip of the spout. This isn't a BIG problem, but it makes it so that some of the liquid soap stays on the spout while the rest of it drops onto your hand. Once you take your hand away, the remaining soap will slowly drip down. To avoid this, I have to slide my hand against the opening to make sure I get all the soap off so I don't have a drippy mess of soap on the outside of the sink. They they fixed this so that the opening had a slightly downward slant, it would make it would fix the problem.

All in all, I'd probably still order this because it's kind of cute and is one of the few non-slip soap dispensers I could find. But knowing what I do now, I might have spent a little more time looking.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to help with the frizz., January 25, 2014
My hair is somewhat wavy and quite frizzy. I usually have to continually comb it straight while I blow dry and then straight-iron it to get rid of the frizz. Through high school and all through college, I used to get either a "Magic Straight Perm" or a wave/curl perm. But then for about 3 years, I didn't do anything to my hair except get it cut (which is when I started my blow dry/straighten regimen). But right before I came back for my second year of grad school, I decided to get a "Silk Straightening Perm" which is supposed to straighten and relax your hair a bit without making it at flat as the "Magic Straight" perm (I hate when my hair gets too flat).

So anyway, all this to say, I got that straight perm right before getting back to school and then bought this straightener immediately after getting to school. So for the few several months, I wasn't sure if this blow-dryer was helping keep my hair under control at all or if it was just the perm.

The perm is supposed to last about 5-6 mo. I can usually see perms wearing off about 4 months in. I went back to California for winter break (which coincided right about at that 4 month mark) and at the end of my 2 week trip (for all of which, I was without this BaBlyiss dryer). My hair was a little frizzier and I was starting to feel it was getting more difficult to manage. When I got back to DC, by my second blow-dry, my hair seemed to get under control again and was more relaxed.

I still can't definitively say that this blow-dryer is keeping my frizz under control but it would be reasonable to assume that it seems to be helping. I actually think I could afford to have a little more volume but it's not TOO flat or anything.

I have couple reasons for not giving it 5 stars. Even though I knew other reviewers think this dryer is heavy, I actually was still surprised at how weighty it was - but it's not a deal breaker. Another thing I don't like is that none of the power settings is weak enough. I use the stronger setting pretty often but sometimes, I just need a decently weak setting that doesn't blow my hair all over the place.

One 8 oz Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Hot Blend
One 8 oz Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Hot Blend
Offered by Redori
Price: $7.82
20 used & new from $4.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Use on almost everything!, January 25, 2014
I used to put Sriracha on everything but I almost never use Sriracha anymore since I discovered this seasoning. It adds a good amount of heat without necessarily changing the flavor. I add it to soups, meat, rice/pasta dishes, fried foods, and anything that is generally savory (as opposed to sweet). I liked it so much that I gave it as little extra side-gifts for the spicy-food lovers in my life at Christmas.

The reason I only gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is that SOMETIMES, it's a little too salty. I say "sometimes" because there's salt in there, and it's usually not too much, but then sometimes more of the salt comes out than the spice. But I'm finding this is only happening as I get close to the bottom of the canister (and even then, only sometimes). I can tell when it's going to be saltier because I'll shake some out and it's very fine instead of more grainy and textured. But I've tried other seasonings and I don't think this is as salty as most of the stuff out here.

It's definitely worth a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6