Profile for Sarah Jackman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sarah Jackman "Bookie" RSS Feed (Londonderry NH USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Caught
Caught
by Harlan Coben
Price: $8.99
490 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars ADDICTIVE READING, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Caught (Mass Market Paperback)
There is nothing so refreshing as reading a mystery that surprises. Because there was more than one plot woven into this gripping tale, I only guessed one of the three surprises Coben had in store for us. To me, a seasoned mystery/thriller reader, I sometimes think I've read them all (the plot twists). Love to be proven wrong.

I found the son to be quite annoying, I must say. Perhaps that is why I never had children, ha, ha. The one thing I found myself rolling my eyes at, however was the unsubstantiated accusation leveled against Wendy at the end. First of all, they fire the women without any hard evidence? Secondly, because of slander regulations, I highly doubt that other networks would surround her house to try and get a quote about her alleged stalking of her boss. I mean really, other than a tabloid type news service, it is very unlikely that this story would have become a blip on their radar screens. One fake tip, and boom! Her career is over. Uh huh.

I did get over that, because quite frankly I found myself staying up all night to get to the end. Very interesting read, overall.

Second Glance: A Novel
Second Glance: A Novel
by Jodi Picoult
Price: $13.04
393 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars BURIED TREASURE?, December 7, 2013
This review is from: Second Glance: A Novel (Paperback)
Someone gave me this book second hand, and despite a disinterest in the supernatural, I decided to give it a try. With the introduction of a barrage of characters in a short period of time, I had a hard time getting to know who was who, and/or caring about each person. When it came to the second part, where we were brought back into the past with Cissy/Lia's back story, it did peek my interest again and made continuing forward in the novel possible.

Though I'm familiar with the author's name, this is the first time I've read her work. I was quite impressed with her skill as a narrator, and the depth in which she colors each character's personality and traits. I even found myself jotting down a couple of her brilliant lines and quotes, because despite them being tossed into the conversations of the people in the book, they were quite insightful and deep. (I don't usually do that!) That being said, the modern day tale was often dull. Every time I would think the story was at a perfect spot to end, I would look and see that there were still another 50 to 100 pages left to read. It was work to finish that last part, and during the quarry "crisis" I just wanted everyone to be crushed to death. Enough already!

From the other reviews, I gather that this wasn't her best work. Because I could still see her awesome talent here, I will check out her other works in the future. The girl has a gift.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2014 2:52 PM PST

Glory & GraceTM French Inspired Red Ceramic Lidded Glass Kitchen Spice Jars Set of Six, Wire Bail Closures
Offered by G and G Distribution
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING GOOD, October 27, 2013
These precious jars are as beautiful in my kitchen as they appear in the picture on Amazon. I personally like that they don't have inside shaker top inserts, as I prefer to pinch or spoon my spices into recipes. These are not a standard size, so you won't be able to swap the tops from existing bottles. The one problem I ran into was trying to put garlic powder into one of them. When I turned the bottle on it's side to insert it into my current spice rack, the granules would run out the side, despite the plastic seal around the lid. I didn't run into that problem with any other type of herb or spice that I ended up storing in them. I imagine salts of any type might have that same issue. Other than that, I am loving them.

Don't Scream
Don't Scream
by Wendy Corsi Staub
Price: $6.29
230 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars SURPRISE ENDING! (TOO BAD IT WAS STUPID), March 7, 2012
I found myself rolling my eyes on the first page and knew I was in trouble. Every character was a complete cliche', and since their traits were so black and white, the author thought it would be much simpler to decide for us who we should like and who we should detest. Brynn, of course was suppose to be sympathetic, Fiona bitchy, Tildy spoiled, and Cassie unhappy and overwhelmed. Fiona and Tildy could actually have been the same person, other than their different backgrounds. Same behaviors, same selfish personalities, same bossy nature. I agree with the reviewer who said she couldn't stand any of the characters, and I was actually looking forward to them all being murdered. The supposed red herrings were just too obvious to be taken seriously. The two stupidest parts in this asinine book were Cassie's killing, and the cops that were slaughtered in the woods. As if this person would know to put a complicated tracking device on her vehicle. Did he perhaps have ESP and knew he'd have to track her down? With his skills and intelligence, it's doubtful that he would have flunked the bar. Why, the CIA would have surely recruited him into service....Were these police officers so inept that they would just stand there and let this person slit their throats? Plain ridiculous.

Of course, the ending came as a true surprise. That of course, was only because it was so far fetched and unlikely that nobody could have fathomed it. His motivation was absurd. He already had a daughter that he loved and could easily have obtained full custody of. He cared nothing about the girl that died yet is willing to wait an entire decade to extract revenge? Yeah right. If anything, he would have snapped and murdered Fiona the day he found out about her abortion. From the other reviews, I gather that her other books are just as out there so I think I'll find a more plausible author to read in the future.

U is for Undertow (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)
U is for Undertow (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)
by Sue Grafton
Price: $7.19
418 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ONE YET!, October 12, 2011
After stumbling upon "Q is for Quarry" years ago, I've made it a priority to read every book in this riveting series, and haven't been disappointed letter after letter. I will admit, however, that I didn't much care for "T is for Trespass". It was the second book she wrote with the newly adapted technique of going back and forth between present day (well, the 1980's) and the past, from perspectives other than Kinsey's. So when I got "U for Undertow" from my local library, I was a bit disappointed to learn that it too was a back and forth type novel. However, it turned out to be the best written book she has offered up, so far that is. It was realistic, interesting, character driven, and it fairly represented the thought processes of both the people victimized, as well as the "bad" guys. You got an idea as to how their backgrounds led to the places they ended up later in their lives. Nothing she wrote in this book was so pretentious as to force you to feel a certain way about one in particular person; you led yourself there from your past experiences and your own affiliations with people that shared similar characteristics and peculiarities to that people in this story. Susan, you are an excellent writer and please keep up the great work. I don't know what I'll do if you stop this series when you reach the letter z. No other mystery writer out there can touch your talent.

Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, No. 12) (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, No. 12) (Stephanie Plum Novels)
by Janet Evanovich
126 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Stephanie Rocks!, August 18, 2007
I think this is one of better books in the series. There's just the right mix of humor, mystery, and sexual tension. Keep them coming Janet, and I'll keep buying them.

Multiple Choice
Multiple Choice
by Claire Cook
118 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars BORING, August 18, 2007
This review is from: Multiple Choice (Paperback)
Since I found this book in the bargain bin for $4.98, it should have come as no surprised what a stinker it turned out to be. There wasn't one likable character in the entire thing, other than perhaps Etta. Even March, the main character, was so judgmental and whiny, it was hard to route for her. Like the other reviewers, I found the daughter Olivia to be a ridiculous, over the top character. Who acts like that? Maybe a younger teen, just going through puberty would be at that "I hate my mom" stage. But if a college age girl still treated her mother with that much contempt, then yes March, you must have done something wrong in the way you raised her. The entire book was just a description of March, going through the motions of her rather mundane life. I half expected the author to describe her using the toilet or shaving her legs. I read to escape or be entertained, neither of which happened during this aggravating snooze-fest of a novel.

Spying in High Heels
Spying in High Heels
by Gemma Halliday
107 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars NEW VIEW REVIEW, October 29, 2006
I HAD A BIT OF TROUBLE GETTING GOING, BUT ONCE THE ACTION STARTED, SO DID MY PAGE TURNING. GEMMA HALLIDAY IS A VERY TALENTED WRITER, AND THE COMIC DIALOGUE AND SITUATIONS WERE LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY STUFF. IT WAS WHAT I WOULD CALL A GREAT BEACH READ, EXCEPT IT IS NOW AUTUMN AND I HAD TO DO MOST OF MY READING INDOORS. MY ONLY CRITICISM IS THAT IT BORROWED HEAVILY FROM JANET EVANOVICH'S STEPHANIE PLUM NOVELS. FROM THE SEXY COP/SEXY LATINO INTERPLAY BETWEEN MADDIE AND RAMIREZ, HER LOVE OF FRIED FOODS, TO THE KOOKY FAMILY RELATIONS, IT ALL SEEMED A LITTLE BIT FAMILIAR. STILL, THAT SAID, I ENJOYED THIS NOVEL JUST AS MUCH, IF NOT MORE THAN THE STEPHANIE PLUM ONES, PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THE NEW LOCALE AND THE NEW CHARACTERS. I LOOK FORWARD TO HER FOLLOW-UP BOOK DUE THIS SPRING.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2012 11:53 AM PDT

Getting Old Is the Best Revenge
Getting Old Is the Best Revenge
by Rita Lakin
Price: $7.19
83 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars WANTED TO LOVE IT, July 22, 2006
WHILE READING THE REVIEWS, I WAS STRUCK BY THE TONE OF "MYSFAN"'S CRITIQUE OF ANOTHERS REVIEW. SHE MADE IT SOUND LIKE IF YOU DIDN'T LOVE THIS BOOK, SOMEHOW YOU HATED THE ELDERLY OR SOMETHING. FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, WHAT WAS IN FACT DISAPPOINTING ABOUT THIS NOVEL WAS THAT IT DIDN'T LIVE UP TO WHAT I HAD HOPED WOULD BE A SMART, LIGHT-HEARTED MURDER MYSTERY. INSTEAD, I FOUND IT TIRESOME AND SO VERY PREDICTIBLE. FOR STARTERS, I ENJOY STORIES ABOUT OLDER FOLKS. THROW IN THE FACT THAT IT'S JEWISH LADIES, WHO ARE SUPPOSE TO BE SLEUTHS, OUTSMARTING THE KNOW-IT-ALL-POLICE, IT HAD ME HOOKED AT THE DESCRIPTION ALONE. ONCE I STARTED READING IT, I WAS FLOORED BY THE PETTY, SELFISH, AND CHILDISH PERSONALITIES OF EVERY CHARACTER, MINUS THE MENFOLK AND BELLA. WHAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ANY ONE CHARACTER'S PERSONALITY AND THE NEXT? OH, I KNOW; IDA WAS TWICE AS BITCY AS SOHPIA, EVIE, GLADY, AND EVERY OTHER OLD BIDDY IN THE COMPLEX. PERHAPS I'M OUT OF THE LOOP AT 38 YEARS OLD AND I AM IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING WHEN AND IF I SURPASS THE SIXTY YEAR MARK. ARE ALL OLD LADIES THIS UPTIGHT AND/OR SELF-CENTERED? WHEN I LOOK BACK ON MY TWENTIES, I THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH MORE I KNOW NOW, AND HOW EASIER IT IS TO DEAL WITH OTHER PEOPLE AND THEIR ISSUES. I WAS OPTIMISTICALLY THINKING THAT BY THE TIME I'M OLD, I'M GOING TO BE THIS GREAT HUMAN BEING WHO CAN BE FREE OF ANY OF THOSE OLD AWFUL BEHAVIORS. NOW THIS BOOK HAS BE WORRIED. AT WHAT POINT AM I GOING TO START DIGRESSING BACK TO MY ME-OBSESSED TEEN YEARS? UGG! IT'S ALL SO DISCONCERTING. MY NEWLY FORMED FEARS ASIDE, I THOUGHT THE PLOT WAS JUST FINE FOR WHAT I HAD BOUGHT INTO, EXCEPT THAT GLADY AND HER SUPPOSED "LESS INTELLIGENT THAN HER" SUPER SLEUTHS COULDN'T PICK UP ON A CLUE IF IT HIT THEM ON THE HEAD. WHERE WAS THE "OLDER IS BETTER" MESSAGE THAT THE INTRO QUOTES SEEMED TO BE IMPLYING? WHAT KIND OF POLICE OFFICERS WORK IN FLORIDA, ANYHOW? ILLITERATE SIMPLETONS? NOBODY GIVES AUTOPSIES, ESPECIALLY TO MIDDLE-AGED, WEALTHLY/HEALTHY WOMEN? BELIEVABLE PERHAPS IF THIS YARN TOOK PLACE IN THE 1970'S OR SOMETHING, BUT COME ON....IT'S 2005 IN THE STORY. ALL I WANTED FOR MY TIME WAS A SLIGHTLY BELIEVABLE BEACH READ, WITH INTERESTING, SHARP-WITTED CHARACTERS PURSUING BAD GUYS. WHAT I GOT INSTEAD WAS A HEADACHE AND A GLIMPSE INTO THE NOT SO BRIGHT FUTURE THAT AWAITS ME.

Crank
Crank
by Ellen Hopkins
356 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars ADDICTIVE READING, July 4, 2006
This review is from: Crank (Paperback)
Since I am not a fan of poetry, I must admit that when it arrived from Amazon, I was at first disappointed and thought about returning it. I am really glad that I gave it a chance, as once I began reading, it was almost impossible to put it down. I thought it was fairly accurate in it's portrayal of the middle-class drug world, and how easy it can be to fool parents about what is really going on in ones life. What I find fault with is how in many parts it becomes quite obvious that the story is being told from the mother's point of view. Kids just do not use some of that vocabulary, and who on earth calls cop cars "black and white's" after 1979? Also, the authors constant references to how thin, beautiful, intelligent, and talented Bree sees her mother as were so very unrealistic and narcissistic on the part of Ellen Hopkins. We get it Ellen, we do. You are in no way responsible for your daughters fall (thank god for the convenient, loser ex-husband). You truly aren't the one that caused her to turn to drugs, we just don't need your constant reminders of that. Also, are we really to believe that Bree/Kristina/your daughter got pregnant the first time she had sex, and was of course raped? Although it's a mother's instinct to want to think the best about their kids, it's a writers job to be believable. I hope that when I read "Burned" that I get to see more of the character and less of the author.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2008 9:18 AM PDT