Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Mr. D. Sullivan > Reviews

Browse

Mr. D. Sullivan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mr. D. Sullivan "Daniel" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Scruffs Wilton Pet Box Bed, Large, Blue
Scruffs Wilton Pet Box Bed, Large, Blue
Price: $31.53
2 used & new from $23.72

5.0 out of 5 stars More Plush Than Expected - Size Up, February 11, 2016
My cat is a sprawler, and he especially likes to sleep on his back. Head-to-tail, he's about 22 inches long and weighs about 12-15 pounds. I got him a large, and it's perfect for him. As I write this, he's stretched out corner-to-corner in this thing, totally comatose. The furry lining reminds me of cat fur, so I'm sure this thing makes cats feel like they are little kitties nestled up to momma again. What could make him feel more secure than that?

The Scruff's brand is well-reviewed on Amazon's UK site as it is a UK brand (sells for 40 pounds on the UK site, which is close to 60 dollars), yet it's fairly new to the USA. This pet bed (technically, it's a dog bed) seems well-constructed, and it is more plush than expected. It is machine washable, which is awesome. I read at least one Amazon review that said this bed isn't plush on the bottom, but that has not been my experience. It has more than enough padding for my cat--it's seriously like a pillow on the bottom--and it immediately triggers his kneading instinct.

There are a few negatives. At first he didn't like how it smelled. I don't think it had a particular off-putting scent, it just didn't smell like him, and he was being snobby. So, I put a towel in his old bed for a couple days, then transferred the towel to this bed, and he went right in. After a couple days, I removed the towel. Now that it smells like him, he loves it. He also loved playing in the giant box it came in.

Another negative is that this bed looks super soft and expensive, and I'm feeling obligated get him a diamond collar to match. He won't even wear a collar, and that seems wasteful.

Lastly, sometimes I stick my iphone in this bed and let him watch Paul Dinning's bird videos on YouTube; he likes that a lot; now I'm worried that he's spending too much time on social media. Maybe I can sign him up for an online therapy class or something.

TL;DR. Buy it, and get a big one for sprawlers.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Mitchum Advanced Control, Clean Control, 2.7 Ounce
Mitchum Advanced Control, Clean Control, 2.7 Ounce
Offered by I Buy Direct
Price: $6.55
14 used & new from $1.97

1.0 out of 5 stars For people who want to smell like pine trees, January 30, 2016
Smells like those old pine tree air "fresheners."

If you're someone who uses Pine-Sol as cologne, I highly recommend this deodorant.

If you make a living by begging for money, buy this to let people know you live in the forest.

If you despise people, you can use this deodorant as a scent shield to keep all other humans at least five feet away.

Eco by Lupine 1/2-Inch Recycled Fiber Breakaway Cat Collar with Bell, Adjustable for 8 to 12-Inch Cats, Granite
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, January 11, 2016
Looks nice. I cut off the annoying bell.

Monoprice 108323 Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone Bundle with 3.5mm to 1/4-Inch Gold-Plated Adapter Plug and Accessories (5 Items)
Price: $24.99
30 used & new from $18.76

2.0 out of 5 stars Blurring the line between headphones and torture devices, January 11, 2016
These just aren't comfortable. The plastic feels cheap. The padding feels hard. I was trying to replace my Sennheiser HD202 headphones that broke (hated the dual cords, too). I wanted okay sound, isolation, a single, preferably removable, audio cable. I've bought cables and TV wall mounts from monoprice before, and had no qualms about the quality. These, however, felt even worse than their low pricepoint.

I bought mine from Monoprice directly, which had them on sale for $16 (still does) including shipping. Amazing deal ... but they were unwearable. Didn't bother returning because the return shipping cost.

Paid $49 for the Audio Technia MX20 and I'm much happier.

Jaybird X2 Sport Wireless Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black
Jaybird X2 Sport Wireless Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black
Offered by EverythingDeals
Price: $143.00
21 used & new from $77.72

3.0 out of 5 stars One Major Design Flaw, January 10, 2016
Pros: Conceptually amazing. Sound great if you can get the isolation and fit right, which is far more difficult than it should be. Overpriced. I paid $129.99, which is acceptable, but these should really be more in the $100 range. At CES, Jaybird announced the X3, which seems to be another largely superficial update, and doesn't address any of the X2s glaring flaws.

Cons: The Jaybirds aren't comfortable, especially when compared to bose earphones. After sizing the X2s at home multiple times, a couple trips to the gym, trying all the fins and tips several times, I finally found an acceptable fit--but it's still somewhat annoying--I always know these are in my ears, which is unfortunate.

Here's the big fault with these is the design: the earbuds point almost straight into your ear. Well, stick your finger in your ear canal, and you'll feel that it runs parallel to the side of your head before curving inward. Bose, Apple, and Plantronics figured this out years ago, and they route sound accordingly, so why is Jaybirds routing sound to the side of my ear canal and not down and in like other premium brands? I think this design flaw is screwing with both the comfort and sound quality.

Other flaws: Compared to Bose the Jaybirds earfins could be softer, more pliable, lighter, and more airy. The semi-isolating Comply tips are a must if you want to hear any bass, but I can't see how the small or mediums would do much good as they have almost no padding.

I wish these had a more bose-like fit; contemplating whether or not to keep them. Wish they met my expectations. My guess is that by the time I'm ready for round two of wireless earbuds, Bose will have a product that matches these in sound quality and far surpasses them in ease of fit and overall comfort.

D:fi D:struct Medium Hold Molding Creme with Low Shine, 2.6 Ounce
D:fi D:struct Medium Hold Molding Creme with Low Shine, 2.6 Ounce
Offered by myBeautyWarehouse
Price: $8.70
46 used & new from $2.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and smells nice (much better than its twin product), February 2, 2015
This is a better smelling version of American Crew's Forming Cream.

American Crew Forming Cream, 3 Ounce
American Crew Forming Cream, 3 Ounce
Offered by Intelligent Beauty Supply
Price: $11.40
90 used & new from $6.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect., January 15, 2015
I've been using this product for 10 years.

2 short observations:

1. American Crew also makes difi distruct, which is the same product but with a better smell (imo, but I think most would agree).

2. If either product is shipped when it's too hot outside or left in a hot car, the ingredients will break down and it will be ruined.

iPhone 6 Case, Spigen [ALUMINUM BUMPER] Neo Hybrid Metal Case for iPhone 6 (4.7-Inch) - Space Gray (SGP11176)
Offered by Spigen Inc
13 used & new from $7.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this before buying., September 18, 2014
UPDATED: 9/26/2104 - Ordered Apple's black leather case, and I'm much happier. The Apple logo is really discreet on the leather case, and I think that's a good thing. After watching drop tests for the iPhone 6, it doesn't really need much of a case. I wish this case was better. I think the aluminum bumper on the Spigen was hurting my WiFi signal, the mute button was absurdly hard to reach. Plus, it does add more bulk to the edges than is necessary--probably only a millimeter per side, but that's enough to be noticeable--especially compared to Apple's leather case. I'm lowering my rating from 4 stars to 3 stars, because at least Spigen tried to make a pretty, unique case. It's mostly functional, though perhaps with some signal loss. I don't have a great signal at my residence, and the aluminum seemed to negatively impact my connection--I tried it at least 10 times, just to make sure I wasn't imagining the drop. So, anyway. Anyway, I'm returning mine.

UPDATED: 9/21/2014 - I received the Neo Hybrid Metal. I originally had purchased the standard Neo Hybrid (plastic version), but word is that the regular Neo Hybrid (plastic version) has issues with the buttons--I thought the White one I purchased looked cheap, but the buttons issue means it would have gone back even if I had liked the appearance. So, on to the Neo Hybrid Metal.

I so thought the Aluminum version of this case would be amazing--even after I read some reviews about the mute switch being inaccessible, I STILL thought it would be amazing. And the Neo Hybrid Metal has lots of potential--but it also has some flaws. I bought the blue version, and the color looks more dull than in the pictures. It looks pricey--and the buttons work perfectly, the buttons I can reach, anyway. At first, I was certain that I couldn't reach the mute switch, but if I put the tip of my index finger in there, I can move it, barely. I might have to send the case back because of the mute switch issue, but it's growing on me.

I'm also concerned about the shiny metal ring at the edge of the bumper--it reflects a lot of light, but generally only when the phone is tilted. I'll have to try it for a few days to see it it's a genuine distraction.

I feel like Apple made the phone that way to force case sales, because they probably make as much off each case as each phone, and now it looks like I might to be forced to purchase an Apple case. Has anyone found an iPhone 6 case that is awesome?

___________________

Old review:

As of 9/18/2014, there are THREE separate and distinct cases listed on this one product page.

Neo Hybrid - Shiny buttons, full TPU back (no logo cutout). Beware that at least one of the colors lists 'metal' in the title, but this version of the case is plastic. I like the feel of the TPU, but not the plastic bumper. Purchased. Returning. 3 stars.

Neo Hybrid EX - Same as above, but no back to the TPU portion, so this is just a bumper (back of iPhone is exposed).

Neo Hybrid Metal - TPU back has a logo cutout, which I don't like (TPU portion is not interchangeable with Neo Hybrid). But the big plus about this one is that the bumper and buttons are real aluminum instead of plastic. I haven't received this one yet, but I'm betting metal version feels about 1,000 times classier that the standard plastic Neo Hybrid--I'll update if I feel otherwise or experience fit issues. Purchased.

Also, this case is quite thin--it won't add tons of protection, but it will keep the display from directly contacting tables and recess the exposed camera nubbin.

Hope this helps.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2014 12:26 PM PDT

BUNN MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Home Coffee Brewer
BUNN MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Home Coffee Brewer
Offered by Carolinas
Price: Click here to see our price
36 used & new from $71.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Parents Love This, January 20, 2014
I've owned two Keurigs, and both had their issues. This Bunn is better than my Keurigs for many reasons:

Easier to clean. Heats faster. More consistent. Takes up WAY less space on the counter. Looks nicer (stainless steel). More brewing options.

Anyway, the only drawback is that it doesn't have water storage, but getting a Nalgene narrow mouth water bottle solves that problem. And really, the water storage on the Keurig was always an issue because it would gain calcium deposits and I would worry about the water being stale. Anyway, this Bunn MCU is better than a Keurig.

I bought this as a 2012 Christmas gift for my parents (when it was just on the market) and they use it daily (and still rave about it).

If I Built a Car
If I Built a Car
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 4-Y-O Nephew Loves This Book, January 20, 2014
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Kindle Edition)
And with good reason. This is exactly what a kid's book should be. It's imaginative, funny, well-animated, and fun. There are a few silly big words thrown in for kicks. I'm surprised that Chris Van Dusen isn't a household name, given that he does both the writing and illustrations for his books. He is extremely talented.

I noticed that one reviewer posted that this book promotes smoking. Hardly. There is one picture of a stranger on a pier with a pipe, but in no way does the book glorify or promote smoking. The pipe fits the old-timey feel of the book and scene, as this car looks like it is from the 1950s. Anyway, I was blown away by the quality of the illustrations and writing. Well done, Mr. Van Dusen.

Page: 1 | 2