Profile for Jason > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason RSS Feed

PDP Battlefield 4 Wired Controller - Xbox 360
PDP Battlefield 4 Wired Controller - Xbox 360
Offered by GAMETRONEX
Price: $52.64
9 used & new from $26.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after three days, November 26, 2013
At first, things seemed to be going well with this controller. I liked the look and feel of it, and the buttons/sticks/triggers were responsive. I was a little put off by the fact that the controller is smaller than a standard Xbox 360 controller, but it wasn't really an issue and I adjusted quickly. The nicest feature, and the main reason I bought it, were the customizable wheels on the back of the controller. It was great to be able to map certain buttons to these, so I could activate them without having to take my thumb off the sticks--an especially useful feature in fast-paced FPS games.

But, then things fell apart. Suddenly, while playing Battlefield 4, my character began aiming down sights as though I was pressing the left trigger--even though I wasn't pressing anything. Curiously, it stopped happening after a few seconds, and I went back to playing. Before long, however, this situation was happening ALL THE TIME, and it made it impossible to play the game. Another reviewer referenced this issue happening to them, and they appear to be right: it might have something to do with the vibrations from the controller confusing the inputs into thinking you're pressing the trigger. A few times, I slapped the controller out of frustration and it actually made my character on the screen stop aiming--but only for a couple seconds before it started up again. I returned this controller for a standard, wireless 360 controller, and I'm happy to report there are no problems.

Bottom line: I've never had a defective 360 controller out of the four I've owned. This is the one non-standard controller I've bought, and it failed within a few days. The benefits from the wheels on the back of the controller and the neat design don't outweigh the potential drawbacks.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 11:07 AM PDT

Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)
Samsung UN46EH6000 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, August 13, 2012
Let me first state that while I didn't buy this product from Amazon, I felt it was worth leaving a review for this TV since buying a new set can be a complicated process, and I hope this review will make your buying process easier. Also, I happen to be primarily a gamer, so if you enjoy video games as well, this review might help you. To start, I'll give some general information, then dive into a more detailed discussion of the various settings and how I calibrated my TV.

I'll get the obvious out of the way first: this TV is BEAUTIFUL. The first words that literally came out of my mouth when I turned on my Xbox 360 (even before I calibrated the video) were "Oh my God." Granted, I'm upgrading from a 4-year-old 720p 32" 60hz Sanyo, but even so -- the picture quality was notably impressive. Even a non-videophile (like myself) can appreciate this set. Blacks were black, whites were white. (Although looking back, I can see that my non-calibrated set looked non-ideal -- more on this later.) The audio, as to be expected with this sort of set, was somewhat disappointing -- the speakers are on the underside of the set, and I could tell right away that the sound was off. Calibrations to come!

The set itself is easy to set up. Four screws put the base together, and another four connect it to the TV. I will say, though, that the set is VERY wobbly. A slight bump can make your set rock back and forth, so make sure to be VERY careful around it. As another downside, there are only two HDMI ports and one (!) slot for component/AV cables. What this means is, you can have component OR AV cables attached, but not both. The ports are surprisingly limited, so it's worth taking into account. If this isn't a problem, though, the TV definitely impresses. It's very lightweight, so you probably won't need to buy a new stand.

So, on to the technical stuff. Again, if you're a gamer, these settings should help you get a spectacular picture; keep in mind, though, that everyone's different, and my preferences may not be the same as yours. Either way, these should be a good starting point.

The TV has three main video settings: Dynamic, Standard, and Movie. The TV starts out at Standard, and you can change it to the other two. Dynamic greatly brightens the screen, and at first I thought I'd found my ideal setting. Upon closer inspection, however, one can see slight problems with colors -- some greens seemed too blue, even on the "Standard" color setting (not the same Standard as I listed above). Which brings me to my next issue -- Dynamic offers no option to manually tweak red, green, and blue levels, making it difficult to adjust. It's almost a case of "what you see is what you get."

The audio also has several "preset" options: Music, Movie, Clear Voice, and Amplify. Clear Voice and Amplify seemed too muted, so I never even bothered with them. Music and Movie, on the other hand, increased sound quality (and volume) but, like with video, do not allow you to manually adjust the equalizer.

Finally, we have the Samsung Auto Motion Plus. This setting controls the quality of the image during fast motion, and like everything else, it requires some tweaking to get just right. For example: say you're playing a first-person shooter. When moving the screen from left to right (or vice versa), this setting controls how smooth the motion is. On one setting, you have nice, smooth motion, but the top of the screen "tears," creating very noticeable graphical glitches. On the other end of the spectrum, the graphical glitches are removed, but the motion is back to blurry -- almost as if the TV doesn't have 120hz.

Now then, I think it's worth noting the few problems I've noticed with the set in the months I've owned it:

1. Vertical desync. This is the biggest thing, and I'm actually noticing it right now as I play Fallout 3. When moving through certain parts of the world, the screen will "jitter" and parts of the picture will become uneven. I'm not totally sure how to put it into words...there's no discoloration, there's just horizontal lines that move up and down across the image, making it look uneven. It only happens in certain situations, and only in certain games; I've never noticed it in Battlefield 3 multiplayer (I do see it sometimes in campaign, but only when scanning my screen across images that are large and close-up -- like buildings -- which is curious in and of itself), and I've never seen it in Halo 4, Enslaved, Mass Effect 3, or most other games either. It may be an issue with the AutoMotion Plus, but I'm not sure if it is, and it doesn't bother me enough to worry about too much.

*UPDATE* The vertical desync stems from frame rate drops while playing certain games; if the Xbox or PS3 is unable to handle all the action on the screen, the frame rate will dip below 30 and the TV will be unable to consistently create a smooth image. Lowering or turning off Auto Motion Plus reduces the effect to a degree.

2. Black levels. Black levels are difficult to get just right; sometimes you think you've got the right level of black, and then you notice certain scenes are too black, or too grey. I've noticed this quite a bit when calibrating the set for my Xbox 360 and PS3. In Fallout 3, I do get full, rich blacks when it seems like you should be getting them, but other times blacks seem too grey for my liking. If I increase the grey level or decrease brightness, however, the rest of the image can suffer. The PS3 calibrations were similar; in Uncharted, dark scenes (such as inside caves or tunnels) were extremely black at first, and I had to do quite a bit of adjustment to get them where I want.

Something to keep in mind -- the Xbox 360 and PS3 have their own color calibration settings in the Display area. These settings (Reference Levels on 360, RGB Full Range on PS3) GREATLY impact the appearance of blacks on your image. Set Reference Levels to expanded or RGB Full Range to Full, and blacks are crushed. I have these settings on standard and limited, respectively, and have calibrated the set around those settings. The calibrations listed in my review are applied to both inputs for both consoles, and work fine.

TL;DR of the last paragraph; the calibrations on my set are where they need to be. If they seem off, it's worth looking into the color settings on one's console and adjusting them if necessary.

3. AutoMotion isn't everything I hoped. I touched on this a bit in my review; on the Smooth setting, the screen motion is very clear, but the "tearing" or "jittering" is even more prevalent. My Custom setting works fine for the most part, though; although motion isn't perfectly smooth, I barely notice it in most situations. And honestly, try looking left to right around your room. Objects blur a bit in real life, don't they? Anyway, I'm not sure is a Plasma is better for this (as I've never owned one), but this is still a nice feature and makes things look better than my old set.

So where does all this leave us? These are the settings I'm using right now, and the TV looks and sounds as good as I think I can get it. This is the result of about four hours of tweaking. Also, note that I'm using HDMI to connect my consoles to the TV.

EDIT 12/28/12:
I've updated the video settings for the television; slight changes include lowering brightness, increasing gamma, resetting RGB sliders to default, and a few others. The changes create a vivid, bright image, but not one with too much brightness (my previous settings had the brightness levels a bit high, making blacks look gray in some areas).

1. PICTURE

1C. PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone: Cool
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Either (This setting will depend on what sort of input you are using. Some inputs may default at Normal and not allow you to change it; others will let you set one or the other. Normal is a much brighter setting than Low, so you have to try both and see which works best for you. For example, I have my game systems on a setting that darkens the picture but expands the available range of color, so therefore I use the Normal (brighter) setting.
Film Mode: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off

1D. AUTO MOTION PLUS
Auto Motion Plus: Custom
Blur Reduction: 7
Judder Reduction: 5

NOTE CONCERNING AUTO MOTION PLUS: The higher this setting, the more vertical desync (which I mentioned earlier in the reciew) you will receive with certain games. For example, when playing Far Cry 3 on the Xbox 360, any scene which resulted in a frame rate drop would produce the vertical tearing. Lowering the Auto Motion Plus (or even turning it off) had an positive impact on the tearing, reducing it (but not eliminating it all together). For normal television viewing, the tearing won't be an issue, but if you notice it while playing a game, set the Auto Motion to Clear or Off.

2. SOUND

Mode: Standard
SRS TruSurround HD: Off
Auto Volume: Off

2A. EQUALIZER
100Hz: Two notches down from highest "+" setting.
300Hz: All the way to "+" setting.
1KHz: Two notches down from highest "+" setting.
3KHz: All the way to "+" setting.
10KHz: All the way to "+" setting.

3. GAME MODE: Off

And that's pretty much it. Blacks are black, white is white, and every color in-between seems as close to "normal" as I can get them. Again, these settings may require your own fiddling to get "just right," but this seems like a good starting point.

Anyway, bottom line: the picture quality is superb. The negative I listed above aren't enough to warrant a detraction in stars when so many times I've been amazed by the quality of the picture being put before me. You will not be disappointed.
Comment Comments (53) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 8:09 PM PST