Profile for T. Kaske > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Kaske RSS Feed

Pickles to Relish
Pickles to Relish
by Beverly Ellen Schoonmaker Alfeld
Price: $22.02
56 used & new from $1.00

1.0 out of 5 stars sour on this book, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Pickles to Relish (Hardcover)
This book was disorganized, horribly laid out, and full of unhelpful diatribes. It was often hard to tell if a paragraph was part of the previous recipe or an intro to the next. With so many other excellent, well-organized books out there (I'm currently using The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich, and it's great), I can see no reason why any average cook would want this book. If you are an absolute pickling expert, then maybe check this out of the library, but it's not a book I would recommend to anyone.

The Book of Beasts : Being a Translation from a Latin Bestiary of the Twelfth Century
by Terence Hanbury White
Price: $11.67
71 used & new from $3.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and Meta-Amusing, August 15, 2010
This book makes me deliriously happy.

The text is full of gorgeous illustrations, and the author's bizarro witticisms are almost as amusing as the claims that he's translating. While it may not be the right book to base serious, humorless research on--the author, while academic, is adorably distractible--it's a fantastic companion for creative inspiration and amusing reading. I've collected a number of medieval bestiary reference books, and this is by far my favorite.

If you're looking for a pile of facts done analytically and systematically, this is probably not for you. Personally, I have a lot of love for science/academia-gone-awry (which inspired my love of bestiaries in the first place), and this text is a delightful example of exactly that. The unreliability and downright absurdity of the actual content is beautifully reflected in the author's own meandering, quirky voice and footnotes (oh, the glorious footnotes!)--unintentional, I'm sure, but delightful as a piece of art, a portrait of not only 12th-century naturalism but of 20th-century classical academia.

Howling III: The Marsupials
Howling III: The Marsupials
DVD ~ Barry Otto
24 used & new from $1.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Wait a Tic, March 15, 2006
This review is from: Howling III: The Marsupials (DVD)
People are reviewing this as if it's some genuine attempt at making a high-quality film. I really don't think it can be judged as such, because, for starters, it is called:

The Howling III: THE MARSUPIALS.

This is not a horror film, this is kitchy and hokey and tacky and so incredibly, horribly bad that it crosses over again into the realm of good because it's just so freaking *funny*... and not intentionally.

This was one of my favorite movies when I was in high school. The same four kids would come over to my house and we would watch it over and over again. It never failed to hold our attention, and it never failed to make us laugh. If you are into really awful movies (Kiss and the Phantom of the Park, anyone?), then this is well worth the investment.